Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Despite the horrible chop-job on her flight feathers (some of which are thankfully falling out while she's molting), Zippy has apparently gained enough confidence (and strength) from the wing-flapping practice I've been giving her constantly for the past two weeks (on recommendation from the Vet) that she's now fluttering down from things and even using it as a gap-closer when she's too impatient to walk across the floor. She can at most get ~3-4 feet in ground-to-ground "flight" but from my shoulder to the ground she can get a good 20 feet.

So we're working on recall training and will start working on harness training soon as well. On the upside, she really seems to be enjoying her newfound freedom; her cage door is open pretty much whenever we are home and she is able to climb between it, her play-net, and the floor, and has started to grasp the idea that if she's with us and wants water or food, she can just waddle across the floor back to her cage. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That's awesome, see what good a good home can do!

Btw, totally jealous of your play net, and I'll be asking you for specifics when I move (hint hint, shamelessly stealing your awesome idea)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pile of Kittens posted:

That's a good potato.

After four hours sat in the same spot (I even left the room, taking Ohtori with me, to go cook for a while) he finally stretched and went to eat a bit. Then climbed out of his cage, went to his favourite corner on the top, smushed against the wall, and went back to sleep. He's been there for about an hour so far.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Battle Pigeon posted:

After four hours sat in the same spot (I even left the room, taking Ohtori with me, to go cook for a while) he finally stretched and went to eat a bit. Then climbed out of his cage, went to his favourite corner on the top, smushed against the wall, and went back to sleep. He's been there for about an hour so far.

Steve sounds like Nugget's soul mate. I can see their online dating site profiles: Loves long naps snuggled against the wall...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Battle Pigeon posted:

Sounds like my potato when she isn't baking mini-potatoes.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

OK fellas, so I finally have sourced some conures... Are Black Capped Conures as potentially cuddly as Green Cheeks? The source I have has no Green Cheeks, but Black Caps and Yellow Sideds as well at a reasonable price. They're aviary bred but still young, the fellow on the phone said they were this year's babies so I'm sure that with some time and work it'd be OK?

I would like a kinda cuddly, interactive buddy friend who will sit with me all the time and what have you. I work from home so I have a lot of time to spend with one.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Black cappeds are very similar to green cheeks. The only differences I know of are that they're a bit smaller than green cheeks and I guess some of them talk in their sleep.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I thought that Yellow-Sided was a color mutation of a Green Cheek, is it also a color mutation for black capped conures? Try to go and visit the birds to see how they react to handling before you make any decisions.

My green cheek mumbles in his sleep sometimes too!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Gah! Sleep talking means they are dreaming!

Could ANYTHING look as hysterically nonsensical as a parrot dream?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout makes a noise like "bbbbrrrrrrrrrrr... bbbbrrrrrrrr" when she is sleeping. We call it snoring and it is adorable.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Captain Log posted:

Gah! Sleep talking means they are dreaming!

Could ANYTHING look as hysterically nonsensical as a parrot dream?

When Amgio sleeps he sometimes goes "buuuuurn... buuuuurn... "

Is he a psychopath? :ohdear:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I don't think I have ever seen Ohtori actually truly sleeping in the whole time we've had him. Sure, he naps, but it's more his eyes are closed, on the verge of sleep, but not actually sleeping. I have never seen him with his head tucked into his wings/back feathers either. He only properly sleeps when covered, so I can't see him, and the times I've tried to peek it's either too dark or he hears me and runs over to investigate. Why would he sleep when there are people around? Something could happen at any moment and he doesn't want to miss out! There could be food dammit.

Maybe he sleeps when we're out?

Steve... well, you know what I'd say here.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Charlie says hi

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

uglynoodles posted:

I would like a kinda cuddly, interactive buddy friend who will sit with me all the time and what have you. I work from home so I have a lot of time to spend with one.

Older birds are the sleepiest potatos. :3: My guys just sit with me for hours.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Hey you guys, I'm a graphic designer/print maker and this semester my focus has been BIRDS.

Pictures are really large but I thought you guys would appreciate it! :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I want to just THROW money at you for that one of the grooming green cheek. oommmggggg

Speaking of grooming, Rosy had stuck her fat derpatiel self under my hand, while Amadeus was sitting on top of it. He looked at her, slooowly reached down, and slooowly and gently began preening her back feathers. She was too dumb to realize it wasn't me for a good ten seconds and then she yelled and ran away, outraged. :derptiel: bird he was just trying to be friends

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I am coming down from a mini panic attack right now. I just got back home from a trip to NY for a funeral and all I wanted to do after my 4 1/2 hour drive and stressful few days was sit down and cuddle my birds and decompress. I took Cheeky out and she has a wound on the top of her eyelid which looks like it was caused by her and Baby fighting. The two rarely go after each other anymore, and the only time they seem to do it is around my husband, and he doesn't always break them up immediately. I texted my hubby at work demanding to know what happened: he claims they fought a little but when he broke them up she looked fine. Thankfully there is no damage to the actual eye, but the top is swollen a little bit. She doesn't appear to be bothered by it and when I touched around the area she didn't act like she was in pain. Still, when I saw the red spot I immediately went to worry mode thinking she might have a cornea scratch or something worse and fired off two WTF texts to him. I will keep an eye on her today and if it still looks puffy tomorrow I will take her into the vet. :mad: He was supposed to watch them dammit, Now I have to come down from the stress of seeing her injured!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Poor cheeky, I hope it's nothing.

And yes, I agree with LITERALLY A BIRD, if you plan on making any additional prints, please allow me to shower you with coins.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Amaya posted:

Hey you guys, I'm a graphic designer/print maker and this semester my focus has been BIRDS.

Pictures are really large but I thought you guys would appreciate it! :3:

These are awesome. How are you making them? The GCC is really striking and I love the peacock one (well, they're all good, but especially like that one).

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Thanks for the compliments guys :) The black and white ones are done in intaglio, which is basically carving into a plate and smearing ink all over it then running it through a press. The colored ones are reductive relief prints that are going lightest to darkest color while carving out stuff between every layer, much more time intensiv and limited in number.

Funny thing though, they're all for sale! I do ten in an addition and I'm not going to lie, the colored ones are all going to be upward in price because of the work involved but if some bird crazies were interested i would be happy to work with you guys for prices?

Also, alternatively, how would you guys feel about custom prints? Of your own birds! I always wanted to do prints of people's birds...

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Holy crap Amaya! Those are so awesome. I'd love a print of Mickey being silly. :neckbeard:

On another note, I know there was a lot of cage discussion in the last thread - but I've gone back several pages and can find it. I'm looking to upgrade Mickey's cage to one he can be in for a while during my upcoming long school hours. (It sucks, I know, but nursing school. :argh:) his current cage is fine as a sleeper, though it's a bit small for my preferences. The ideal cage would have a playtop assembly and one of those nifty seed collecting skirts that funnel debris into the tray underneath. Thanks in advance for the help.

Also on an even different note; Mickey has started chewing up his food bowl and I don't know how to get him to stop it. I don't want him swallowing plastic pieces :ohdear:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
One of Archer would kick rear end since he loves to pose and have his ego stroked.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I love that peacock one - if you ever do it in a lower cost print, I'd be interested in getting it for my office.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I was THIS close to eating Novolo, feathers and all, last night. She screamed until 2am when I uncovered her and she immediately went to sleep. Sometimes it's just a matter of experimenting until you find whatever it is that's pissing them off. Apparently it was too dark in her cage! Or maybe she wanted to sleep on top or something. I have no idea. I'm all weird from sleep deprivation. That bitch wanted cuddles this morning too.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pile of Kittens posted:

Does anyone else here daydream about getting a flock of white budgies and dyeing them all different colors with kool-aid?

Our family used to breed show budgies. My Dad was really excited when he came back with a very american budgie and I was wondering WTF.

Turns out, he noticed it had a smidge of red on his neck. For those that don't know, red is an impossible color for budgies. He thought he caught a fluke of nature and was thinking he was going to make a name for himself.

Funny enough, the red on the budgie was due to the seed dye it was eating and it soaked in his feathers. Next molt, all red was gone.

edit: I guess I could answer some questions on breeding/showing budgies if people want to ask.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

There were budgies at the pet store with pink heads, my girlfriend and I were like WTFFFFFF

Turns out they had just been sitting beneath the calcium chew while other budgies were munchin' on it, dropping pink dust onto them :(

And all of their little feet were pink from holding the stuff :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Amaya posted:

Thanks for the compliments guys :) The black and white ones are done in intaglio, which is basically carving into a plate and smearing ink all over it then running it through a press. The colored ones are reductive relief prints that are going lightest to darkest color while carving out stuff between every layer, much more time intensiv and limited in number.

Funny thing though, they're all for sale! I do ten in an addition and I'm not going to lie, the colored ones are all going to be upward in price because of the work involved but if some bird crazies were interested i would be happy to work with you guys for prices?

Also, alternatively, how would you guys feel about custom prints? Of your own birds! I always wanted to do prints of people's birds...
They really are great and amazing pieces, and depending on the cost I might be interested in getting one as a gift for my sister. Would it be possible to get the GCC one as a Jenday/Sun? I honestly don't know what the expected price for something like that would be, though. :ohdear:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SaNChEzZ posted:

There were budgies at the pet store with pink heads, my girlfriend and I were like WTFFFFFF

Turns out they had just been sitting beneath the calcium chew while other budgies were munchin' on it, dropping pink dust onto them :(

And all of their little feet were pink from holding the stuff :3:

I always love how the bin o' budgies is like constant drama and then when I see the cage of cockatiels at the good bird store they're just sort of sitting there or waddling around in circles being all like "dis is fun! :derptiel:'

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh my god Amaya those are awesome! I would commission one, but shipping costs and everything are going to make it an insane hassle. Especially love the green cheek preening tail one. :3:

mjs6643 posted:

I always love how the bin o' budgies is like constant drama and then when I see the cage of cockatiels at the good bird store they're just sort of sitting there or waddling around in circles being all like "dis is fun! :derptiel:'
Nah, I saw a cage of cockatiels at a pet store and one was happily eating an apple slice from a bowl and another tiel just came along and kicked it right in the face. :stare:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like Archer's long lost brother

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I want to just THROW money at you for that one of the grooming green cheek. oommmggggg

!!! Thank youuu!

Wizard of Smart posted:

Holy crap Amaya! Those are so awesome. I'd love a print of Mickey being silly. :neckbeard:

mjs6643 posted:

One of Archer would kick rear end since he loves to pose and have his ego stroked.

We can totally work something out if you want! Pm's? Something else?

DarkHorse posted:

They really are great and amazing pieces, and depending on the cost I might be interested in getting one as a gift for my sister. Would it be possible to get the GCC one as a Jenday/Sun? I honestly don't know what the expected price for something like that would be, though. :ohdear:

It doesn't work like that, unfortunately :( I can't just swap out the colors. When you start you begin carving away bits of the picture and eventually nothing's left, I have a set of ten and that's all. There are two options though! I could most certainly do the print again with jenday/sun colors but that would be expensive for you. BUT. I could do one black and white and then water color it to jenday/sun colors? Significantly cheaper!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That look.

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.

Amaya posted:

those are super cool!

Pile of Kittens posted:

I was THIS close to eating Novolo, feathers and all, last night. She screamed until 2am when I uncovered her and she immediately went to sleep.

I was getting pretty narky at my bird the other week as he started getting up earlier and earlier - 6:30, 6:00, 5:30, 5:00... I was getting seriously sleep deprived by the end. Gotta draw all my blinds all the way down to keep him from getting up at the crack of dawn right now :/

Frogmanv2 posted:

That look.

there's a bird who knows (s)he's done good

In other news, my bird has discovered the wonders of pomegranate! Keeps him intensely focused and dead quiet when I give him a piece to munch on :) Plus I get to eat the rest of the pomegranate, win win.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Would it be jumping on the bandwagon/rude/whatever if I posted my own bird art in here now/at some point? :ohdear:

Frogmanv2 posted:

That look.

Not for the first time, I'm glad neither of my birds have managed to work out how to do the same.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Would it be jumping on the bandwagon/rude/whatever if I posted my own bird art in here now/at some point? :ohdear:

Not in my opinion, more bird art the better. :3:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I taught Zippy to wave this morning! She's so smart got the idea withing three clicks! Just a little more refinement and I'll try to sucker Kenshin into taking a video to share :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Amaya posted:

It doesn't work like that, unfortunately :( I can't just swap out the colors. When you start you begin carving away bits of the picture and eventually nothing's left, I have a set of ten and that's all. There are two options though! I could most certainly do the print again with jenday/sun colors but that would be expensive for you. BUT. I could do one black and white and then water color it to jenday/sun colors? Significantly cheaper!
That would work great, just don't work yourself to death over them! Send me a PM about price and size :)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UasPNxVO9Yw

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

How much would you sell this for? I don't have platinum but I can be reached through mikerock 777 at hot male dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Not for the first time, I'm glad neither of my birds have managed to work out how to do the same.
More bird art is better than

Also, apparently its a wild bird

Brother Jonathan posted:

From the source: "my friend left her window open in her bedroom and came back to find this look at his self-satisfied little face, the cheeky poo poo. motherfucking australia"