Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The main problem with submissions in my opinion, is twofold:
1) they are hard to see. The tap out animation is much of the time hard to distinguish from the 'breaks free' or 'released by aggressor' animations, and the zoomed out camera compounds this. So when a submission breaks and then you get the 'wins by submission' message, it often comes as a surprise and leaves you feeling deflated.
2) basic submissions have been conditioned in the minds of the audience to basically never be expected to work. This is partially WWE booking itself, what with tapping out often looking weaker compared to losing by Pinfall, and by wwe '13's woefully weak submissions. This makes a loss to a chin lock feel cheap and less satisfying, as it doesn't fit the WWE style we expect.

That submissions work now is certainly new and different, but that they now decide the majority of contests is far less exciting for the viewer than if they were a more uncommon occurrence. Obamaroll a were fun because they sometimes resulted in a 3 count but rarely did so enough that people didn't get bride by them or assumed they would end the match. Hopefully Bazza can find the sweet spot of submission damage to make submissions viable but not too commonplace.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

This would be great for the OP.

But where's Rain??

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Shieldhill posted:

But where's Rain??

Rain can be found in the graveyard.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Shieldhill posted:

But where's Rain??

He's exclusive to the attract mode :v:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shieldhill posted:

But where's Rain??

It should be a little bit slower.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Seeing Ezio and Dan going at it last night got me bummed that we never got to see a Drac Pack vs Elite Four match. We probably won't ever get anything like a now that Raph is gone and everything that went down with the Dracula, Kefka, and Vegeta. Oh well, maybe we can get at least get Dan vs Gary "Who's the smuggest of them all?" match. :unsmith:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

It should be a little bit slower.

Eh, it's actually already slower than what's shown in the intro, but I can slow it down even more if needs be.

If anyone has any gif requests, I'm happy to oblige. I just picked out my favourite spots.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

The main problem with submissions in my opinion, is twofold:
1) they are hard to see. The tap out animation is much of the time hard to distinguish from the 'breaks free' or 'released by aggressor' animations, and the zoomed out camera compounds this. So when a submission breaks and then you get the 'wins by submission' message, it often comes as a surprise and leaves you feeling deflated.
2) basic submissions have been conditioned in the minds of the audience to basically never be expected to work. This is partially WWE booking itself, what with tapping out often looking weaker compared to losing by Pinfall, and by wwe '13's woefully weak submissions. This makes a loss to a chin lock feel cheap and less satisfying, as it doesn't fit the WWE style we expect.

That submissions work now is certainly new and different, but that they now decide the majority of contests is far less exciting for the viewer than if they were a more uncommon occurrence. Obamaroll a were fun because they sometimes resulted in a 3 count but rarely did so enough that people didn't get bride by them or assumed they would end the match. Hopefully Bazza can find the sweet spot of submission damage to make submissions viable but not too commonplace.

Just think of submissions as another kind of pin, and the problem resolves itself. They work best after finishers but sometimes without one, just like the other way to win a match. I don't think a submission would work in a place where pins don't. Of course, I am just basing this off of two nights.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Submissions kinda suck because the AI decides whether it will tap out or not at the start of a submission, and when it does it will refuse to do rope breaks, making it obvious what's going to happen.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Captain Invictus posted:

Honestly, having any Touhou character would open up the possibility of just mainlining Touhou music, which is never a bad thing and has more remixes out there than pretty much anything.
If nothing else, Nuclear Fusion should be WVGCW's equivalent to You Will Know Our Names, since it's the best boss theme ever.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Tengames posted:

Submissions kinda suck because the AI decides whether it will tap out or not at the start of a submission, and when it does it will refuse to do rope breaks, making it obvious what's going to happen.

Well that's dumb. Explains why Red didn't grab the ropes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Policenaut posted:

SORA! DONALD! GOOFY! SHIELD!

We live in hope.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

1) they are hard to see.
The breaking glass sound when someone taps kinda gives it away tho.
Also I love the gifs and I would love if highlights popped out in that form every few nights.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

It's just missing a shot of Gary trashtalking Gief backstage before the fight.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Bazza's twitter posted:

"Bazza clearly took control of Kefka after that. The taunting gave it away." It's funny when people are so adamant when they're wrong.

Didn't someone on SA say that?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yes.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

SoggyBobcat posted:

Didn't someone on SA say that?

Yeah that was Jubs that said that claiming Bazza probably turned off the HUD. Pretty sure it was only him that thought that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For the security trio, I'd like to think that Gabe needed a little HEEEAAALP!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's The Cheetahmen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

If nothing else, Nuclear Fusion should be WVGCW's equivalent to You Will Know Our Names, since it's the best boss theme ever.

Yeah, some of the remixes would fit perfectly. I really like this one but it's too UNTZ for wrestling unfortunately, if it was more low-key, the air raid sirens would fit in great for a finale battle.

Some good ones would be Xi-On, Sun Worship of Gnosis, Demetori - 霊知の太陽信仰 - Nuclear Fusion(Demetori's pretty good at everything really), Electric RED - The Mantle, Artillery Fire, UI-70, 霊知の太陽信仰でメタルっぽい何か(might not fit well with WVGCW but I like it, and I feel like no Nuclear Fusion remix is complete without warning klaxons and air raid sirens), and.......Disco Nuclear Fusion???.

It's hard to improve on perfection, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_-7OXophY

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Caught last nights show today (Thanks Zylch3!) and I couldn't stop laughing at Gary's new intro. It was perfect for him. :allears: You could just feel the smug radiating from him.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, I spent a few hours working on a thing.

He went through a couple of iterations; so now he's ever-so-slightly shorter than Tingle. He puts up a pretty good fight, though!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Of course he does, he's Frog. It'd be a travesty if he didn't. :getin:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Robo would be a great addition, come to think of it. He's already a bit of a pugilist, and oh man that awesome theme music :buddy:

Frog/Robo tag battles would be awesome to see.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, I spent a few hours working on a thing.

He went through a couple of iterations; so now he's ever-so-slightly shorter than Tingle. He puts up a pretty good fight, though!

Does he have a human form alt?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Robo would be a great addition, come to think of it. He's already a bit of a pugilist, and oh man that awesome theme music :buddy:

That would be rad as hell.

They even have a cool team name already: Epoch. Or they could have Melchior as their manager and be The End of Time.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Angry Diplomat posted:

This would be amazing. Magus can rot in SNST since he's nowhere near as interesting as Frog and Robo. :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SNST had a lot of really weird, out there characters. Does anyone remember Oghren? You know, the super memorable Oghren from Dragon Age? He was in SNST once.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I remember Oghren. He liked cookies and was pretty cool.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bloodly posted:

No, because I can't change his proportions and he is uuuuuuuugly without the frog mask on.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Bloodly posted:

But that's literally just green haired Vegeta.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dastardly posted:

But that's literally just green haired Vegeta.

Like that's unusual for a Toriyama character ? He can only draw three human faces.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Jackie D posted:

oh man Practice really needs a mashup theme someone talented (not me) get on this

I tried :smith:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Go RV! posted:

Or they could have Melchior as their manager and be The End of Time.

:frogout: of my thread.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

You know, I was thinking. WVGCW doesn't really have a good psychopath. I mean, Terra kind if goes overboard, and Daisy has a few brain problems, but she's pretty calm and methodical. There's no chaotic villain like Mr. L or Kefka.

I've got two possibilities in mind:

Jinx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlJuwO0GDs

Rubi Malone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVl_7C74jkw

Of the two, Jinx would probably be more interesting in general, but goddamn if WET didn't have the best soundtrack in recent memory.

It was Gaspar, wasn't it. I'm going to stop trying to remember things at work.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
WVGCW tomorrow!

Also, screw Jinx and Rubi. Anna Navarre, man.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Go RV! posted:

You know, I was thinking. WVGCW doesn't really have a good psychopath. I mean, Terra kind if goes overboard, and Daisy has a few brain problems, but she's pretty calm and methodical. There's no chaotic villain like Mr. L or Kefka.

I've got two possibilities in mind:

Jinx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlJuwO0GDs

Rubi Malone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVl_7C74jkw

Of the two, Jinx would probably be more interesting in general, but goddamn if WET didn't have the best soundtrack in recent memory.

It was Gaspar, wasn't it. I'm going to stop trying to remember things at work.

The guy who suggested Queen Zeal was on the right track. You don't even need to use that glitch, since she's got a decent human form already.

Arcanite
Apr 27, 2013
I assume you actually meant Jynx for WVGCW?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The Saints Boss is literally a psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The Saints Boss is literally a psychopath.

Yeah, but she seems to be more along the lines of the Gabe-style affably unstable, instead of the Mr. L criminal insanity, at least how Bryn is writing her so far.

It's hard to take a character that is a send-up of the genre as a real horrific maniac, especially when their finisher is like a thousand nut-kicks.

• Locked thread