Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Ehhhh that's not really a fair comparison. I say this as someone who is definitely going to be putting Little Mac through is paces (He looks like P:M bowser!!!), but:

a) Jigglypuff's air game basically functioned as a ground game too since you can just short hop and "float" while poking with back airs and other moves against grounded/shielding enemies, and her throws weren't terrible. Little Mac can't transform his ground game into an air game in the same way.

b) Super armor doesn't make you nearly unkillable (trust me :<), especially since odds are he'll have little if no hyper armor (super armor with unlimited hit-soak). You can throw someone out of armored moves, and they're generally unsafe on block too. This probably sounds like ~*~high end comp stuff~*~ but it's actually really obvious when someone does an unsafe straight into your shield. As for dodging, any Dudley player can tell you that it just isn't something you can do all the time.

Oh, these are all totally true. I was speaking more in a conceptual stance than the nitty gritties. Jigglypuff might be able to fight on the ground in actuality, but you can't deny that she's basically an all-aerial character from the design, in the same way Pokemon Trainer was intended to be a versatile counterpicker (in that you go with whatever mon is best in your situation) in design, or how Zelda is intended to be focused on controlling the positioning between her and the opponent.

Whether or not his design bears out how I think it seems or if it ends up being too narrow remains to be seen, but while the point is accepted that Smash has a heavy aerial emphasis and that Mac having a weak air game seems to be crippling, my thought is that you'd have to be a real dumbass to make a character designed to be used on the ground almost exclusively in a game about aerial combat and not do something about the obvious flaws therein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Excels posted:

But what would he do? He has no unique characteristics whatsoever.

Isn't it kind of a joke that Waluigi has absolutely nothing going for him beyond being Luigi's "evil counterpart"? Hell, even Luigi basically just ignores him when he tries to start a rivalry in those spin-off games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Waluigi could be a great Dan equivalent for Smash Bros.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

But what would he do? He has no unique characteristics whatsoever. Give me your pitch, man.
Sports/Mario Kart based moves. Peach only has one move that uses that (her forward smash) and he could also incorporate mario party mechanics. His up B could be like a jumping version of Game and Watch's Side B, where he jumps up, hits a block, and gets various effects based on the number he rolled.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Excels posted:

I think a lot of people who want Waluigi are just trying to satisfy their OCD, since we have literally the entire main Mario cast except him or Toad.

Well, technically we have Toad. We don't have Bowser Jr. yet, and he would actually be a cool character to recycle some of Squirtle's moveset into.

e: v name something ROB has ever done

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 9, 2014

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I challenge any of the Waluigi fans to name anything he has ever done in an actual game. No, taunts, victory poses and the like don't count because Wario or another character could do them and nothing would be lost. Name something, anything, that Waluigi has actually done.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LanceKing2200 posted:

I challenge any of the Waluigi fans to name anything he has ever done in an actual game. No, taunts, victory poses and the like don't count because Wario or another character could do them and nothing would be lost. Name something, anything, that Waluigi has actually done.
Stolen a magical musical note and challenged Mario to a dance off.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I always felt Mario kart was strangely unrepresented in anything besides Mario Kart. It would be neat if ROB returned with his kart from the DS game, since it was attached to him iirc.

I am Reverend posted:

We don't have Bowser Jr. yet, and he would actually be a cool character to recycle some of Squirtle's moveset into.

He would definitely be a better representative for Sunshine than that stupid loving FLUDD attack Mario still has in Smash 4.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I, too, have very strong opinions about the inclusion of a minor character in this Nintendo fighting video game

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

LanceKing2200 posted:

Turn him into the Mario sports representative. He has a golf club as a down special, a fencing sword lunge as a forward special, a tennis serve of varying power as his neutral special, and a soccer goalie upwards dive as his up special.

Final smash is giving him a kart.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Excels posted:

But what would he do? He has no unique characteristics whatsoever. Give me your pitch, man.

I'm going to try to do this seriously. I'm going to say

Side+B: Throws Bomb-omb (not as explosive and deadly as the item versions)
Up+B: I really have no idea. haha

Up A: Giant Mario Party Dice block above his head
Side A: Slaps you with a glove, or a sport item like peach's thing
Down A: I like the break dancing suggestion someone said before.

neutral A: Dirty fighting punches and kicks. Like kicks the the groin, sucker punching animation cycle
neutral B: He could yell Waaaa really loud? Does like no knockback but a lot of percentage in damage?

Aerial A: Mid-air splits kicking in both directions?
Back Air: flying round house kick

WALUIGI YA YA YA

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LanceKing2200 posted:

He's impotently fumed while Luigi completely shrugs off his attempts at evil and acted as Wario's sidekick?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Waluigi became a meme because he was popular.

Waluigi became a meme because a webcomic did funny comics about him and people started repeating it to the point even people who don't know the comic go in on it, and the joke of the comic was that he was an unimportant character with a creepy design.

I don't doubt there are people who legitimately like Waluigi but he is by no means this super-popular breakout character everyone loves. Most people who play Nintendo probably don't remember the guy exists.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Space T Rex posted:

His air swim from Mario Power Tennis, obviously!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
GameXplain did an analysis of Greninja footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLDHZGnhSGc

This frog is pretty cool looking. Water swords!

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Patter Song posted:

Turn him into the Mario sports representative. He has a golf club as a down special, a fencing sword lunge as a forward special, a tennis serve of varying power as his neutral special, and a soccer goalie upwards dive as his up special.

Final smash is giving him a kart.

Assuming the leak is correct and the Mii is a character this is basically what its moveset is going to be.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Space T Rex posted:

JordanKai posted:

His air swim from Mario Power Tennis, obviously!

Or pull like Goombas out of his pockets, let them fall to their deaths while he jumps up them like stairs back to the arena? haha

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Excels posted:

I think a lot of people who want Waluigi are just trying to satisfy their OCD, since we have literally the entire main Mario cast except him or Toad.
Nah, there's still Birdo. Who would be more justified than loving Wailuigi, honestly.

y'all memeing too hard

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

In retrospect it is kind of sad Dedede can't throw Waddle Dees anymore. By far one of the most useless/entertaining moves in the series, besides Luigi's 1 damage kick.

e: birdo is a generic enemy like dry bones or whatever. in mario 2 there were like ten of them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They need to add one of the Alphadreams Mario & Luigi characters like fawful as an assist trophy or something. It's weird that neither Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi has had any representation in Smash yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Quest For Glory II posted:

They need to add one of the Alphadreams Mario & Luigi characters like fawful as an assist trophy or something. It's weird that neither Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi has had any representation in Smash yet.

There are Paper Mario trophies, but I agree, they need some more representation.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Now I want to see Mario and Luigi getting some sort of combo Final Smash where they pull off one of the more popular Bros. Attacks.

VVVEdit: The official stance is that there is no confusion and never was. Mario was just confused because Vivian's sister insulted her by calling her a man among other things.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 9, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They should add Vivian. Traps are always fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
^that's kind of a gross term duder

Excels posted:

In retrospect it is kind of sad Dedede can't throw Waddle Dees anymore. By far one of the most useless/entertaining moves in the series, besides Luigi's 1 damage kick.

e: birdo is a generic enemy like dry bones or whatever. in mario 2 there were like ten of them.
She was only a mook very originally, now she's a recurring single character, and considering her constant inclusion in the sports/kart/party games, just like Waluigi, if you use those games as an excuse for why Waluigi should be in, there's no reason she shouldn't be, too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Excels posted:

They should add Vivian. Traps are always fun.
Don't use that word. Helpful advice.

I wish that Luigi in Smash was the Alphadreams version of Luigi because he's already kind of a klutz in Smash Bros and the Alphadream Luigi is like a mega-klutz with goofy bowed legs and "I don't know how to throw a punch" combat animations. I love the art in Mario & Luigi games. I think in Dream Team his attack pose is literally 1900's fistciffs.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 9, 2014

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Excels posted:

Umm actually Birdo was one single creature struggling with identity issues and these four bullies kept following her from home to home, breaking and entering her collection of giant bird heads every time she thought she was finally out of their reach.

e: "Trap" is a 4chanism you should be embarrassed if you use this term.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm not the greatest follower of the Mega Man franchise, but what iteration of Mega Man is the one between the OG and Legends in that final smash picture? I understand that from left-to-right is Battle Network, X, Original, ?, and Mega Man Legends.

I tried playing a fighting game on my 3DS XL to see how it would feeling playing Brawl on the system. I don't really like it. I think I will wait for the Wii U version.

VVVVV

I thought Star Force was a part of the Battle Network series, thanks.

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ImpAtom posted:

Waluigi isn't popular. He is a meme. Seriously. I know people like the guy but he is objectively a random background character made to fill out sports games who has a slightly amusing personality. He is not a case of 'sense over popular,' he's a case of not being that popular.

I disagree.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 9, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm not the greatest follower of the Mega Man franchise, but what iteration of Mega Man is the one between the OG and Legends in that final smash picture? I understand that from left-to-right is Battle Network, X, Original, ?, and Mega Man Legends.
Star Force.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sort of legit disappointed that Elec Man is an assist trophy over Proto Man. Considering Grey Fox/Shadow the Hedgehog were also Assists, it felt like the Mega Man version of those assholes would make more sense than a random Robot Master.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lord Ephraim posted:

I tried playing a fighting game on my 3DS XL to see how it would feeling playing Brawl on the system. I don't really like it. I think I will wait for the Wii U version.

VVVVV

I thought Star Force was a part of the Battle Network series, thanks.

It's the sequel to Battle Network that focuses waaaayyy too much on friendship. It's also the last Mega Man franchise for the foreseeable future. Only Might No. 9 will follow if Inafune can get enough funding.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ImpAtom posted:

I am sort of legit disappointed that Elec Man is an assist trophy over Proto Man. Considering Grey Fox/Shadow the Hedgehog were also Assists, it felt like the Mega Man version of those assholes would make more sense than a random Robot Master.
Considering that Megaman is a newcomer, I wouldn't count out having more than one MM assist trophy. Or, considering the Lil Mac wireframe skin, a Protoman skin for Megaman. Which I think I'd like more.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

IronicDongz posted:

y'all memeing too hard

I honestly couldn't care less about any of that Brawl in the Family Waluigi nonsense. Regardless of that, I still really want him to be playable because I think he's a cool character. I'm honestly not sure why you guys are making such a stink about it. :(

Kurtofan posted:

GameXplain did an analysis of Greninja footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLDHZGnhSGc

This frog is pretty cool looking. Water swords!

This is incredibly cool, though. I'm loving all of his moves, especially the fact that he has two dodge moves! :swoon:

Also, is it just me or does the Substitute look a little off? It almost looks like they took a series of pictures of an actual plush Subtitute doll and put them in the game.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

JordanKai posted:

This is incredibly cool, though. I'm loving all of his moves, especially the fact that he has two dodge moves! :swoon:

Also, is it just me or does the Substitute look a little off? It almost looks like they took a series of pictures of an actual plush Subtitute doll and put them in the game.

Watching that video, I'm thinking that Greninja is going to be just one of a few hard counters to Little Mac. He has excellent maneuverability, air combos, teleports, a counter, and projectiles.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JordanKai posted:

I honestly couldn't care less about any of that Brawl in the Family Waluigi nonsense. Regardless of that, I still really want him to be playable because I think he's a cool character. I'm honestly not sure why you guys are making such a stink about it. :(

Not to be rude, but... aside from internet jokes, what is there to like about Waluigi? He's a totally unimportant side-character who basically only shows up in sports/kart/party games. Like Daisy. We don't need a Daisy like we don't need a Waluigi.

Also the substitute is pretty highly-detailed, yeah. It's covered in fuz!

Space T Rex posted:

Watching that video, I'm thinking that Greninja is going to be just one of a few hard counters to Little Mac. He has excellent maneuverability, air combos, teleports, a counter, and projectiles.
I can't wait to counter lil' Mac's one-hit KO, smug look on face and all.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Not to be rude, but... aside from internet jokes, what is there to like about Waluigi? He's a totally unimportant side-character who basically only shows up in sports/kart/party games. Like Daisy. We don't need a Daisy like we don't need a Waluigi.

He has big personality, and is funny. Even having personality puts him above lots of video game characters, certainly in the mario universe. Seriously people keep asking "why like waluigi?" and then someone says "he has personality" and then 2 pages later someone is like "why like waluigi?" etc ad infinitum. Welcome to SA.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's probably because he has basically the exact same personality as Wario. :ssh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I cannot believe that tongue-scarf :3:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Monkey Fracas posted:

I cannot believe that tongue-scarf :3:

Took me way too long to realize this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

That's probably because he has basically the exact same personality as Wario. :ssh:

You're wrong.

Wario loves money and video games
Waluigi loves crotch chop and number one

• Locked thread