Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think anyone has asked or explained yet, but I think the first kanji in Higashikata can also be read as "Jo", which is why Araki chose that as Josuke's last name.

So he's still JoJo.

I remember being told that the "suke" in his name can be read as "Jo", so his name can literally be "JoJo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke having three Jo's would make sense, because he's the best and most JoJo JoJoJo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

Josuke having three Jo's would make sense, because he's the best and most JoJo JoJoJo.

That's the worst name I've ever heard.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That's the worst name I've ever heard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I remember being told that the "suke" in his name can be read as "Jo", so his name can literally be "JoJo"

Right, that's what it was.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Diamond is Not Crash is just the literal(bad) translation of the japanese title.

diamond is unbreakable's so much more swag

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Diamond is Unbreakable is the "Official," after-the-fact title assigned by Araki, just one time I think the guys who made ASB put up a trailer that translated it as Diamond is Not Crash and a bunch of idiots switched to that and now there's confusion among the Western fanbase.

Probably a lot of overlap with the people who insist it's Telence T. D'Arby and Tohth.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 24, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Diamond is Unbreakable is the "Official," after-the-fact title assigned by Araki, just one time I think the guys who made ASB put up a trailer that translated it as Diamond is Not Crash and a bunch of idiots switched to that and now there's confusion among the Western fanbase.

Probably a lot of overlap with the people who insist it's Telence T. D'Arby and Tohth.

I always thought Diamond is Not Crash was either a duwang-ism, or just quick and shoddy translation work. I'm reasonably confident that title was used prior to ASB.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't remember exactly when Diamond is Not Crash starting circulating, but I do know that Diamond is Unbreakable was the previously accepted title until suddenly this new one cropped up.

Might not have been ASB, but it was some tertiary source (i.e., not Araki).

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't remember exactly when Diamond is Not Crash starting circulating, but I do know that Diamond is Unbreakable was the previously accepted title until suddenly this new one cropped up.

Might not have been ASB, but it was some tertiary source (i.e., not Araki).

Diamond is not Crash has been Part 4's official English subtitle in Japan for a very long time, at least since the Shueisha printing published from 2004, if I'm reading Wikipedia right. Now, anyone who with working English knowledge and half a brain would realize that "Diamond is not Crash" doesn't actually mean anything, so all the western translations just used Diamond is Unbreakable. However, it wasn't until Jojoveller in 2013 that Japan officially switched as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hmm, might be a disconnect then between Japan and the rest of us. I've been reading Jojo for nearly ten years but I only heard that iteration of Part 4's title relatively recently.

Wikipedia doesn't provide a source for that claim, nor does the Jojo wikia, but now I'm curious where it did originate if it predates my memory of it.

Something to look into I guess. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Weird, everything I'd read treated it like a duwang remnant or something.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
my nam is (u dont need to remember) guanglai kangyi

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
"Diamond is not Crash" was presented as the English subtitle for Part 4 on Japanese Wikipedia since 2005 at the earliest. Although there was a note explaining that it is known as Diamond is Unbreakable in English-speaking circles, the page wasn't edited to use DiU as the official subtitle until 2013. I'm guessing hardly anyone in the western community knew or cared until recently because it's obviously just a mistranslation of the Japanese title.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
josuke is really good please read about him

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

That is not the title of part four, but it should be.

That or Josuke and Okuyasu BFF Bro Time

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey guys! Thanks for the awesome feedback! I feel like we're off to a great start!

Just reporting in to say that this evening I was talking to my fiance over dinner. He said something like "Hmm, I think I'll get some salmon from the store and cook it tomorrow night. Salmon's always pretty cheap and easy." "YOUR MOM'S CHEAP AND EASY!" I blurted out. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry, I just couldn't help myself," I stammered. "Don't worry about it," my fiance said. "I am reliant on that fighting spirit of yours. It was I who was wrong for giving you an opening for a yo momma joke."

:kimchi:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Xibanya posted:

Hey guys! Thanks for the awesome feedback! I feel like we're off to a great start!

Just reporting in to say that this evening I was talking to my fiance over dinner. He said something like "Hmm, I think I'll get some salmon from the store and cook it tomorrow night. Salmon's always pretty cheap and easy." "YOUR MOM'S CHEAP AND EASY!" I blurted out. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry, I just couldn't help myself," I stammered. "Don't worry about it," my fiance said. "I am reliant on that fighting spirit of yours. It was I who was wrong for giving you an opening for a yo momma joke."

:kimchi:

You chose well.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Pomp posted:

I would prefer to watch him in moving anime form, like god intended

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

gigawhite posted:

You know you can do both, right?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

You know you can do both, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBSRA2k7FBE

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No kind and loving god would intend for people to experience Jojo with lower quality art.

The anime exists as a compromise for those who cannot bear to look upon the magnificence of Araki's original works.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 25, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

No kind and loving god would intend for people to experience Jojo with lower quality art.

The anime exists as a compromise for those who cannot bear to look upon the magnificence of Araki's original works.

The anime was a good way for me to get into anime and the Jojo series. I'm sure the same holds true for others who didn't have any interest in reading the manga before the anime was released.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Setting aside kayfabe, I agree and am actually super grateful for the anime raising the series' profile as a whole.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJo only turns me away from anime because, JoJo, nothing compares 2 U!

I'll get my coat.

Also because DiU will happen and it's the best thing (until part 7 for different reasons.)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 25, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd honestly rather just recommend the anime to people these days because with the prevalence of things like netflix and whatever it's much more common for people to marathon through a tv series, and doing that is a hell of a lot easier for some than reading manga from the 80's.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Setting aside kayfabe, I agree and am actually super grateful for the anime raising the series' profile as a whole.

I'm mad as gently caress that you made me have to google a word

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypot3CYECwE

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

gigawhite posted:

Here you go. A special sneak peek at DiU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImawVGQFCs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still kinda miss Hirata as Polnareff. Komatsu was great, but I just like Hirata in general.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought a bit of the Part 3 manga when I was in Japan and while the art is definitely better the sound is a huge part of the Jojos Experience for me. The screaming men, muscles rippling in motion, music pumping up while 2 strong guys just pound each other, moans of pain and pleasure

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Why not this super cool dubbed one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WEXvwGREo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I bought a bit of the Part 3 manga when I was in Japan and while the art is definitely better the sound is a huge part of the Jojos Experience for me. The screaming men, muscles rippling in motion, music pumping up while 2 strong guys just pound each other, moans of pain and pleasure

If I were a talented person, I would make a soundboard so when I read ORA I could play the ORA sound to go with it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Aurain posted:

If I were a talented person, I would make a soundboard so when I read ORA I could play the ORA sound to go with it.

Get me the audio you want and I'll make you a little windows forms .exe that does it or I'll make you a javascript dealy if you want it on web.

Edit: For those of you who like sharing without directing friends and loved ones to a den of goony goons, here's Sunday's let's read on my Effort Posts blog, now with integrated discussions, spelling errors fixed, and screenshots without my mouse cursor in them! https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/2015/08/26/lets-read-jjba-01/

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 27, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

haha, man, I'm way too lazy and dumb to find and extract all the good soundbites, but thanks.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I know I said four through six on Sunday, but this one is hugely long, so I figured I might as well post in now so that the various things discussed here don’t get lost among all the other stuff to come. So I’ll revise my update schedule - I’ll be posting the Let's Read of chapters five and six some time before the end of the day on Sunday and when they get put on my blog I’ll be sticking all three in the same entry. And if you missed the Let’s Read of Chapters 1-3, you can find themit and any future entries here (https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/lets-read-jjba/) or by clicking the ? under my name.

With that out of the way, welcome back to

So far we have met...

Josuke

Our protagonist! Josuke is Joseph Joestar’s secret love child! He has a stand with a heart-shaped head, a pompadour, and wild mood swings. It appears that his stand is more than just your run-of-the-mill punchghost; it also grants Josuke some sort of healing/matter manipulation ability.

Koichi

Koichi is a teenager with serious boundary issues. Recommend counseling. Appears to be the bland audience stand-in for characters to explain poo poo about stands to. For years I never saw the OVA or read the manga, I just played the Capcom arcade game on MAME emulator, and I didn’t need to have stands explained to me in much greater detail than “they are punchghosts; they represent the user’s fighting spirit; if it gets hurt the user gets hurt and vice versa. Also, shoshite toki wa ugoki dasu!” So I’m a little disappointed to see that he...exists.

Jotaro

Hey guys, you think I’m cool and trust anything I say, right? Well that Josuke guy is with me! Also, apparently I like dolphins.

Tomoko

Josuke’s mom. Did sex with Joseph at least once. Appears to be willing to commit aggravated assault and battery on a whim; is allowed to escape justice due to her dad being the chief of police.

Tomoko’s dad

A bicycle-riding cop who is OK with allowing the citizens of Morioh to be brutally assaulted so long as the assailant is his daughter. Man, gently caress the police.

Serial Killer/Rapist/Pedarast/Stand User

This guy has a Hierophant Green-like stand that can control other people’s bodies and be used remotely. Josuke encountered him when his stand possessed a man in order to rob a convenience store. Not really sure why he was robbing a store -- couldn’t he have just possessed someone and made them drop cash or valuables somewhere? At the moment is at-large somewhere in town.

Roving Pack of Assholes

Experience has taught me that these guys will never learn their lesson and will probably end up in middle management.

This loving guy

Hey man, the guys didn’t want to tell you...but you’re kinda creeping us out.

Chapter 4
Josuke Meets Angelo Part 1
Translation: The Invincible Trio

We see a two story suburban house as someone (presumably the nasty stand user from the last chapter) remarks "What a surprise...there are other people in this town who have the same kind of powers I do..."

In the garage of the house, Tomoko, Josuke’s mom, is looking for her garden trowel. The milkman comes by and leaves two bottles of milk on the front step of the house just as Tomoko finds her trowel. She warns him to watch his step -- too late though, as the guy steps in some dog poo poo.

She steps out of the garage to banter with the milkman (an employee of Lack Y Land Milk, LLC) about whatever jerk keeps neglecting to pick up after their dog and notices that the milkman is a different guy from usual.

The guy turns around slowly and flashes a sneer! Oh no! Must be the stand user/someone possessed by the stand user! The milkman then smiles pleasantly and explains he’s just a substitute. Tomoko asks him to replace one of the bottles that he delivered as the seal is torn.

He does so then takes off in his milk-delivery bike. As he turns away from Tomoko, we see that he is a BAD GUY.

Also is drooling.

“drat that bitch!” he shouts while continuing to drool. The stand we saw escape into the drain in the last chapter bursts out of the bottle that Tomoko made him take back. “What a clever woman!” the baddie explains to us. “My stand [AQUA NECKLACE] could have taken over their bodies!”

(According to the Jojo wiki, this name is an allusion to the album Aqua by Asia.)

The baddie rounds the block to observe Josuke’s house from another angle and to try to puzzle out which bedroom is that of Josuke. He comments that he’s jealous of Josuke for having such a sexy mother and says that he wants to kill Josuke for attacking him when he was trying to rob the convenience store. “I simply adore killing wealthy arrogant brats like you…” he says wistfully. See the problem with this guy is that nobody has directed his talents in a productive way that might benefit society.

:v:

Bad Guy spots a dude walking his dog. Ahh! It must be the inconsiderate douchebag who doesn’t pick up his dog’s poo poo! He even drops a cigarette butt on the ground, so you know he’s a selfish dickbag. The leash strains and is yanked hard. The guy looks up and whatever he sees must be something...awful?

OK and this next page is so balls-out insane that I have to share the whole thing.

The Bad Guy lets this guy know that not cleaning up after your dog and littering are things that only assholes do. Then he kills the guy by using his punchghost, which he presumably forced into the guy’s mouth in the previous page, to punch holes in the dude’s head from the inside! Bad Guy poses to congratulate himself on a job well done.

Aqua Necklace, which we can see can move/merge with liquid, then enters the local water supply. We cut to a running tap in Josuke’s house and we see Tomoko pour tap water into a coffee machine. Our perspective then leaves the kitchen and we travel into the next room. Josuke is in front of a mirror fixing his hair while talking to Jotaro on the phone.

Before we continue, I want to discuss how skillfully the transitions here are handled. When it comes to sequential art, this is about as good as it gets.

I’ve covered the topic of clarity vs. intensity in panel transitions in detail before, in fact, I’ve covered that topic in the other Jojo thread, so yeah, once again, instead of repeating myself, please read this if you haven’t already! Dragonball vs. Jojo: The Point of Panels.

We get the shot of the hose and spigot from medium distance so that we understand what we’re looking at - also note how the top of the panel is slanted, both achieving a dutch angle effect (makes reader feel off-kilter) but also adding a sense of movement as the eye is directed downward. The next panel is less clear overall, but because of the clear medium shot of the spigot that came previously, we understand this is the same hose. Lots of speed lines make us feel like Aqua Necklace is whooshing up the stream of water.

And here is where the magic of sequential art is really put on display. In the first panel we see the stand being slurped up the hose, with various visual indicators showing that it’s going at high speed. The next panel is different in almost every way. You’ll immediately notice it’s feels like it shows a longer duration of time despite the fact that it’s not that much longer than the panel that preceded it. It seems calm, still. Notice how it’s full of horizontal lines while the other one had vertical lines.

I also want to point out that this panel also heightens tension (and therefore the “interestingness” of the comic, as covered in the panels discussion in the linked post.) It would be more clear to just show Aqua Necklace immediately emerging from the tap, but this panel requires the reader to make the inference that there’s a connection between the extremely normal-looking running tap and the action we just saw. Because this panel isn’t explicitly showing Aqua Necklace coming out of the tap, it raises the question “Is the bad guy going to get in this way?” Since earlier in the chapter the bad guy was also casing Josuke’s house, through inferences the reader will also feel the tension coming from the question “Is this Josuke’s house?” then “Will Josuke’s mom be OK?” Similar to flow in comics, the reader generally isn’t noticing these things in a deliberate way (and in fact when you read the comic this all flies by pretty quickly,) but the quality of tension management in a comic has a cumulative effect and if that cumulative effect is bad, you sure as hell are going to notice.

The first panel has no border, which makes it seem to depict a longer period of time than a panel with a border -- done here to draw out the tension from the implicit “aaaaaaa is the bad guy’s stand hiding in the water???” Also notice how the linework in that panel suggests mainly horizontal and vertical lines rather than diagonal ones. From the nails, clearly a woman’s hand, “ohh nooo Josuke’s mom!” would be what Araki hopes your brain is thinking right now.

And yep, it is indeed Josuke’s mom -- the bad guy has probably infiltrated the Higashikata residence. And once again, check out how almost all of the lines here are horizontal or vertical. The angle of the diagonal lines on the floor is pretty slight, and everything here is pointing to Josuke’s mom. Not only is she “framed” by the lines made by the kitchen stuff behind her, her black sweater is the only solidly black object in the panel. This entire panel is screaming “ohhh nooooooooo what’s gonna happen to Josuke’s moooooommm???”

Now this one here, this is masterful. Instead of just showing a panel of Josuke in another room, we get this panel. Because of the way we read comics, this panel does not function quite the same way a similar such composition would work in cinema. In a film, we would take everything in this panel at once, but because we’re reading this panel on a page with other panels, our eyes sweep down it from top to bottom. Functionally it’s a pan. It’s like we’re being pulled slowly backwards from the kitchen into the next room. The framing here still puts a strong pull on the eye towards Josuke’s mom, which makes Josuke’s apparent obliviousness raise even more tension. “AAAAA JOSUKE, YOUR MOM!!!!” your brain might be screaming at this point. Even his hair points to the kitchen floor whose lines then point back to Tomoko.

Then we are fully in the room with Josuke, scene transition complete. Heh, Josuke is fixing up his hair. Well I do love a fella who knows how to groom himself.

I want to point out that story-wise, nothing would have changed if the sequence had gone like this:

Everything that happens after would still make sense, but by doing the transition that way, the pages that follow have more tension, and are therefore more interesting. Ohh what a nail-biter!

Oh, so the bad guy has a name, it’s Angelo. Um, should have guessed that from the title. Oh well. Jotaro explains to Josuke that Angelo’s stand can be controlled from a distance. Jotaro then says he’ll come over to Josuke’s immediately and until then Josuke should avoid eating or drinking anything and all sources of water. Josuke reacts with shock.

Josuke explains that Tomoko is still holding a candle for Joseph and that if she sees Jotaro she’ll know that Jotaro is his grandson right away. A 15-year-old who considers the feelings of others? gently caress this, I quit. This manga is too unrealistic.

OK sorry but I have to reproduce this page in full. It’s just TOO GOOD.

drat! We’re basically getting a peek in Josuke’s brain here, as the wheels turn until he realize that poo poo’s about to go down. The top half of the page basically follows his line of sight. The bottom encapsulates that moment of “OH poo poo.”

We then get confirmation that Angelo’s stand is inside Tomoko. Oh shiiiiiiiit!

Once again Araki is making good use of gross poo poo in people’s mouths to get a good creepy mood going. I’m reminded of when the Kakyoin impostor from Part 3 was spotted eating bugs (although in hindsight that little story had a disappointing resolution to the mystery of wtf was up with Kakyoin. On the other hand, that story did give us rero rero rero so I can’t be too bummed out. But I digress…)

Josuke lets Jotaro know what just happened, then drops the phone. He pockets a bottle then approaches Tomoko. Clearly he has a plan. Uh, punch his mom until the stand comes out? Worked before...Tomoko (?) offers Josuke some coffee. What mom does that? My folks didn’t let me drink coffee when I was a teen because apparently it ~stunts your growth~. I’m making up for it now though by sucking down as many cups of it as I can. :sludgepal: Er...I might drink too much coffee, guys. Araki keeps Josuke’s eyes covered or partially covered in these panels to show that Josuke has a barrier between himself and Tomoko; it’s a visual representation of Josuke’s insincerity.

Boom! Called it!

Er but then the bottle breaks? Well poo poo.

Then we get this:

Huh? No reaction? What kinda David Cronenberg kinda poo poo is this?

Wait what? I know Josuke can fix stuff, but does he have time stop too? Or is he just faster than human perception? Tomoko’s acting like she has no idea what just went down, but even the hostage from the Circle K knew that she got punched. And then he wanders off like nothing happened. I guess he thinks there’s no reason to let her in on what’s going on. Does that mean she doesn’t know that he has a stand? Well that’s sad. I’m remembering Kakyoin’s little flashback about how lonely he was when he was a kid. Aww. :smith:

I see, so Josuke broke the bottle then reformed it around Aqua Necklace. That’s pretty clever! I dig it. I’m looking forward to seeing what other “puzzles” Josuke can solve with this ability. Hmm, must read up on the exploits of Kitty Pryde to see if any of them show up here.

“Hey Jotaro? I caught the stand,” Josuke tells Jotaro. “What should I...do with it…?”
Press Down + B, Josuke!

To be posted by the end of the day Sunday: chapters 5 and 6!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's really neat to get a good view of all the little techniques araki uses to build tension and all that. also it's always funny to see the early arc 4 art, because even in the middle of it araki's art style keeps evolving. it ends up in a really nice place by the time it's over, in my opinion.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not much for me to comment on here. It's a tense little chapter and I think you did it justice.

One small thing though, not that it's a big deal:

Xibanya posted:

Oh, so the bad guy has a name, it’s Angelo. Um, should have guessed that from the title. Oh well. Jotaro explains to Josuke that Angelo’s stand can be controlled from a distance. Jotaro then says he’ll come over to Josuke’s immediately and until then Josuke should avoid eating or drinking anything and all sources of water. Josuke reacts with shock.
If you were a kid growing up in Japan, reading the latest Jojo in Weekly Shounen Jump, the title of this chapter would've been "Aqua Necklace." If later on you decided to buy the physical volume containing said chapter, you would have found it (along with the rest of the chapters in this sequence) renamed "Josuke Higashikata! Meets Anjuro ①." This is actually the case for most Jojo chapters, being named one thing while running in the magazine, only to have it changed for the collected volumes.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Xibanya posted:

A 15-year-old who considers the feelings of others? gently caress this, I quit. This manga is too unrealistic.

Haha, Josuke still does plenty of teenager-y things that are a lot of fun to watch but yes, he's also a very kindhearted guy and it's refreshing. I'm not saying that I think Jotaro is a jerk by any means but it still feels like an about-face for Jojos after the last part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This scene / solution from Josuke is one of my favorites in all of JoJo. There this thing in my mom's blood? Better smash a loving bottle through her, then repair the bottle as I pull it back through her to catch the stand, then repair her as well.

• Locked thread