Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Maoist Pussy posted:

Pre-Christian Byzantines, ie proper Romans. Also, Theodora. Mainly, the cut-off line is beards with long hair and generally looking like a Lynyrd Skynyrd album cover.

well in that case you should blame this dude, not Arabs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_the_Evangelist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Panthers QB Cam Newton may not be white and he may not be nouveau, but he named his son Chosen.

CHOSEN

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i wonder when white people are going to start appropriating Chinese style nationalist names like Strengthening The Country or Spirit Of American Victory

probably when Trump gets elected

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ghlbtsk posted:

Panthers QB Cam Newton may not be white and he may not be nouveau, but he named his son Chosen.

CHOSEN

I love it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

if daisies are in the asteraceae family, why not just name her daisy like a normal person

because it's creative, see

ghlbtsk posted:

CHOSEN

that's unironically great

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Phlairdon posted:

Let's just say this was in the whitest part of Brooklyn.

in park slope i once heard a mother tell her 4 year old that "i have feelings too!" in a v exasperated tone instead of scolding her

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ghlbtsk posted:

CHOSEN

Too bad he didn't pick some new-age bullshit spelling of the name.

Naming your kid after a fictional white, gay rapper is pretty progressive. Right?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

you were warned posted:

I once met a redhead named Ariel who was born a couple years after Disney's Little Mermaid came out. I'm sure her parents thought they were being terribly clever. At least that's an actual name.

My daughter was born six months after Frozen came out and she's named Anna for completely unrelated reasons (named after my best friend and my husband's great-grandmother) It's not even pronounced the same, but because she's got strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes she's gonna be "OMG YOU'RE PRINCESS ANNA LOL" for at least the first ten years of her life.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Years ago, I went to a restaurant in Studio City. It turns out most of the serving staff were aspiring actors. Our waiter came over and introduced himself as Rick, adding "It's spelled R-Y-Q." He was a bit of a jerk, and later my friend said to me "More like D-Y-Q."

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Chosen is the most arrogant name I have ever heard. What kind of narcissistic rear end in a top hat saddles their child with a name like that?
And I'd be willing to put money on that poor kid's downward spiral after growing up in the enormous shadow of his NFL superstar QB father and . . . that name. :shudder:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

genesplicer posted:

Years ago, I went to a restaurant in Studio City. It turns out most of the serving staff were aspiring actors. Our waiter came over and introduced himself as Rick, adding "It's spelled R-Y-Q." He was a bit of a jerk, and later my friend said to me "More like D-Y-Q."

There is a comedian named Myq Kaplan. Is he funny? I'll never find out. For one dumbass, three-letter reason.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I had a great grandma or aunt or something named Dagmar, we should bring that back its kickass.

Real talk though I've had classes with kids named Courtleigh, Courtlynn, and Teighlor. Whats with the 'leigh' or 'eigh' and 'lynn' poo poo in all these dumb names?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bismuth posted:

I had a great grandma or aunt or something named Dagmar, we should bring that back its kickass.

Real talk though I've had classes with kids named Courtleigh, Courtlynn, and Teighlor. Whats with the 'leigh' or 'eigh' and 'lynn' poo poo in all these dumb names?

this is what happens when girls that insist on dotting the i's in their name with hearts have children

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Bismuth posted:

My trash ex neighbour had a daughter named Kortlynn.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I guess it isnt any better or worse than when I was in school and every girl was named Ashley and every boy was named Ryan. It was bad enough that we regularly used last names because there were multiple ashleys/ryans within friend groups.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bismuth posted:

Does your grandma buy bear pelts from adventurers down by the mill?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bismuth posted:

old norse names are awesome. i know someone whose wife/daughter/female relative of some kind is named vónbjørt and i think it's the coolest.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Paul

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Deified Data posted:

Does your grandma buy bear pelts from adventurers down by the mill?

Danish great grandma born in 1911 so yeah probably, or she did when she was alive

YeahTubaMike posted:

old norse names are awesome. i know someone whose wife/daughter/female relative of some kind is named vónbjørt and i think it's the coolest.

Hell yeah they are, kinda sad the rest of the family got boring English names

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Franco

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trilliam

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ghlbtsk posted:

Chosen is the most arrogant name I have ever heard. What kind of narcissistic rear end in a top hat saddles their child with a name like that?

Bismuth posted:

faux gaelic is the white trash equivalent of black people and fake african names

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 9, 2016

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Brogan

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Thats pretty ugly

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Girl I went to primary school with ~15 years ago has three kids and a fourth on the way. Swailey, Latavia, Teighan. Boy, girl, boy. Can't wait to find out what she calls #4

Latavia and Teighan are at least names, sort of. But Swailey?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

eating only apples posted:

Girl I went to primary school with ~15 years ago has three kids and a fourth on the way. Swailey, Latavia, Teighan. Boy, girl, boy. Can't wait to find out what she calls #4

Latavia and Teighan are at least names, sort of. But Swailey?

First I read it as "Latvia"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I knew a Leigh and it's a dumb name but she was very nice.

Names like Cheri and even Cherish make me mad. I knew a Caitelynne and I refuse to write it other than in here.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Inzombiac posted:

I knew a Leigh and it's a dumb name but she was very nice.

Names like Cheri and even Cherish make me mad. I knew a Caitelynne and I refuse to write it other than in here.

I k new a Cherish, names like that and Chastity, Prudence, have been around a long time and seem fine, the fact that "Conception" is a real name though is awful, I'm thankful its rare. Caitelynne is just unforgivable.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
my brother's extremely white ex-girlfriend is named latasha

she had an uncanny resemblance to a potato

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Peter

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Bismuth posted:

I k new a Cherish, names like that and Chastity, Prudence, have been around a long time and seem fine, the fact that "Conception" is a real name though is awful, I'm thankful its rare. Caitelynne is just unforgivable.

Caitelynne is unforgivable in its original form, but unlike all the -den type names, at least the parents are giving their daughter something she can normalize by shortening and/or changing the spelling (Kate or Lynn). This is probably an unintentional benefit though.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Met a Payglin today. Google tells me it is some Kabalarian cult from Vancouver. She says it is a French name that goes "way back" in her family. Regardless, it blows as a name.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
Fetnat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandit Queen
May 10, 2008
tavi (unless you're a finnish dude and it's spelled taavi)
harper
paisley
piper
gage

• Locked thread