Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's nice to see Winn has accepted his Cosmic status as sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mon El eating that huge stack of pancakes was great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If aliens have equal rights now, why are they defaulting to Monell hiding his identity?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Mon El eating that huge stack of pancakes was is great.

Fixed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kara's over-parenting of Mon-El was great fun. "It's your first day at work!!!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Lena does have the hots for Kara.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

howe_sam posted:

I was not expecting a second amendment argument to happen on Supergirl tonight

"They have guns that put holes in buildings. The only way I'll feel safe is if I have a gun that puts holes in buildings."

And Jimmy, I know you mean well but that is some Superman's Pal-level foolishness there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's canon that Jimmy is stupidly heroic all the time. One of the reasons that Supes is always bailing him out.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Lena does have the hots for Kara.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If there was anything that could've saved this James plot for me, it would've been Winn...but, sadly, I don't think even Winn is gonna be able to make me like this Guardian thing. The writing is just not there. Like, if he's so worried about James getting himself killed, why doesn't he just tell Kara? Pretty sure she could stop him.

Otherwise, really enjoyed the hilarity of this episode. The whole switching-back-between-identities thing at Lena's party...like, it wasn't even done that well, but it's still such a fun thing that I'm so glad they had it.

Speaking of which, I approve of the Luthor swerve at the end. I'm guessing they're gonna try to recapture some of the Lionel/Lex dynamic from Smallville, which (from what people tell me) is some of the better parts of Smallville.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

If there was anything that could've saved this James plot for me, it would've been Winn...but, sadly, I don't think even Winn is gonna be able to make me like this Guardian thing. The writing is just not there. Like, if he's so worried about James getting himself killed, why doesn't he just tell Kara? Pretty sure she could stop him.

Otherwise, really enjoyed the hilarity of this episode. The whole switching-back-between-identities thing at Lena's party...like, it wasn't even done that well, but it's still such a fun thing that I'm so glad they had it.

Speaking of which, I approve of the Luthor swerve at the end. I'm guessing they're gonna try to recapture some of the Lionel/Lex dynamic from Smallville, which (from what people tell me) is some of the better parts of Smallville.

I think they're just doing the Guardian storyline so James and Wynn have a lot of time alone together leading into them getting romantically involved

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And despite all the identity switching, Kara found time for the important thing: eating all the hors d'oeuvres.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Really, Jimmy's been kind of redundant to Supergirl since the start. I'd rather see Winn and Mon-El become a secret superhero duo. Jimmy's just Iris West with like a quarter of the charm and even then I'm really underselling it because ever since late Season 1 Flash, Iris has been kind of amazing :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Maxwell Lord posted:

And despite all the identity switching, Kara found time for the important thing: eating all the hors d'oeuvres.

Lena specifically got those potstickers because she read Kara's facebook saying it was her favorite food and no one will convince me otherwise :colbert:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Chyler Leigh did a really good job with that speech to Maggie at the end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

Chyler Leigh did a really good job with that speech to Maggie at the end.

Yeah, she did great work with that scene. As broad as the show is they did good work writing a woman who's figuring out she might not be hetero after all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think they're just doing the Guardian storyline so James and Wynn have a lot of time alone together leading into them getting romantically involved

Sorry Jimmy and Snapper is the canon ship.

Maybe they are doing this guardian storyline for Jimmy so he can be killed off the first time he faces 2 people with guns. Or just about anyone really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's been about a year since Jeb! Bush announced that he thought Supergirl was hot, hasn't it?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, she did great work with that scene. As broad as the show is they did good work writing a woman who's figuring out she might not be hetero after all.

Though Maggie was kind of hilariously smug the whole time.

"I can't stop thinking about what you said...I mean, I thought maybe intimacy just wasn't my thing. But maybe you were right about me..."

"Oh, really? About what?" :smuggo:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mike is the best character on the show.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
First day of work. Here's your official pair of alien disguising glasses.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked how Alex didn't just immediately go "poo poo I'm gay" and instead kinda talked in circles around it. Felt more honest, and like how I felt about it when I realized.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senerio posted:

I liked how Alex didn't just immediately go "poo poo I'm gay" and instead kinda talked in circles around it. Felt more honest, and like how I felt about it when I realized.

Poor Maggie. Thought she might get some rebound sex, ended up right in the middle of some chick's identity crisis.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Jimmy being stupidly heroic is fine, Lena crushing on Kara is fine, Alex and Maggie is adorable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Everyone on this show is in heat and it's awesome.

[/Luthorlipbite.gif]

e: Jimmy and Wynn watching on the sidelines as Kara and Mon-El danced. :xd:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 8, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The Jimmy thing is a pretty logical conclusion of the character's arc on the show. The only reason Jimmy was added was to strengthen the whole Superman vibe to ease people into the show (and, I guess, relationship drama) but the character really doesn't serve much of a purpose. I'm interested in the concept, but I worry that both the writers and the actor will be able to pull it off.

Rest of the episode was pretty great. Can't get enough of Kara stuffing her face with all the snacks and for once relationship drama doesn't feel quite so eye-rolling. Digging Mon-El not getting Earth culture and trying to eat all the food and nail all the girls is kinda funny.

I feel like Winn had a bit of a downgrade this season, going from best friend, confidant and tech guy (and early last season love-sick puppy) to basically ONLY the tech guy. He exists to show up, quip a bit and solve the episode problem with technobabble. I prefer that to the moping over Kara poo poo early last season but the character feels diminished a lot this season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Maxwell Lord back this season at all?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mortanis posted:

I feel like Winn had a bit of a downgrade this season, going from best friend, confidant and tech guy (and early last season love-sick puppy) to basically ONLY the tech guy. He exists to show up, quip a bit and solve the episode problem with technobabble. I prefer that to the moping over Kara poo poo early last season but the character feels diminished a lot this season.

"I feel like I've spent my whole life being stuck as the sidekick."
"I like sidekick. Nobody punches the sidekick."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Poor Maggie. Thought she might get some rebound sex, ended up right in the middle of some chick's identity crisis.

I think that was why she had that amused look on her face. Maybe that's her life...one confused 20-something identity-crisis after another.

"What do these feelings mean!? Am I...could I be, like, a lesbian?"

"...yeah, probably. So, are you trying to gently caress or should I go?"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xealot posted:

I think that was why she had that amused look on her face. Maybe that's her life...one confused 20-something identity-crisis after another.

"What do these feelings mean!? Am I...could I be, like, a lesbian?"

"...yeah, probably. So, are you trying to gently caress or should I go?"

That's the hilarious part, Maggie clearly doesn't want drama but the biggest drama bomb ever just went off in front of her

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
So Jimmy's superhero origin story is... his camera got crushed? I'm sure it was expensive and had some sentimental value but it's still not quite the same as your parents getting murdered, your entire race being wiped out or your planet being destroyed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Licarn posted:

So Jimmy's superhero origin story is... his camera got crushed?

Finally, that robot got to him after all these years.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

Yeah. Now that the storyline made it official: In the comics, Miss Martian is a White Martian by race and pretends to be a Green Martian so people don't flip their poo poo. She's actually pretty nice and sunny but, y'know, race known for war crimes and all.

Ah, I didn't know that! Now I feel like a bit of a nitwit for thinking I had a hot take.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Mortanis posted:

Winn had that great scene with Jimmy where he was trying to talk him out of being a hero. I think now that the show has settled into this season on a new network, Winn is going to be serving more as a voice of reason. This is something that a lot of characters in the show (especially Kara and Jimmy) need right now.

As long as he still gets his techie quips, I'm fine if they don't ultimately decide to take him that direction.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Winn feels like the Cisco in the group: there to be funny and smart, and really, that's enough for the audience because he's amazing at it.

Also, new ship: Mon-El/Red Vines.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Red vines tastes like rear end. I can't believe anyone Mon-El likes them.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Supers just really like food.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pan Dulce posted:

Supers just really like food.

So much food-eating in this last episode.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mortanis posted:

It's kind of the narrative fall-out from Kara not really running the "finding her place in the world as Supergirl" storyline this season (so they don't need to write in that constant support structure that they had with Alex/Winn/Jimmy all revolving around Kara), I think, as well as moving the 'Supergirl base of operations' to the DEO full-time. Also, now that she's playing mentor to Mon-El, even though she's still the title character, it doesn't feel like the season to date is really 'about' her as either Kara or Supergirl. They've nudged her over to finding her way as a reporter but that storyline keeps coming across very backburner to anything else (Cadmus, Alex's coming out, now Jimmy the superhero) that's happening in any given episode.

I like the show, I love all the character interactions, but it doesn't seem like they've quite figured out how to tell a balanced story yet in the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Chuckled when Kara mentioned Alex's Punk phase: