Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, just got a 1 gig patch on Steam. Anyone know what it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

VolticSurge posted:

One entire gigabyte of "You nailed that contact!" With different inflections

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

VolticSurge posted:

from the frontier forum

Morning everyone, and happy Friday!

We've just had a small update for all PC and Xbox One island managers go live; this should automatically update when you own the game on either of those platforms.

Please find the release notes below:

Updated NVidia Aftermath to support additional platforms.
Fix to help diagnose Xbox One stability issues.

As always, thank you for your continued support and diligence in reporting bugs to us; your feedback is invaluable as we continue to work on the game.

there's probably stuff in it for future updates but basically the things mentioned are just to allow frontier better tools to find out the cause of crashes on those two systems.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

imweasel09 posted:

This was me just now with 2 15% viability indo raptors. How was I supposed to know i'd win twice.

Money in the bank :smugdon::hf::mil101:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

quite stretched out posted:

can i set up paths through herbivore enclosures that people can walk in and out of but keep the dinosaurs contained in this game like you can in operation genesis? or barring that can i let small herbivores roam around my park free like peacocks or whatever at the zoo?

You can do something similar with the gyro balls or whatever they call them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m about to release an Indominus Rex.

What could go wrong? :shepicide:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
What's the difference between regular and electrical fences? Does electrical just have more hp (while being susceptible to power cuts), and if so, how does like an electrical lightweight fence compare with a regular medium fence?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I’m about to release an Indominus Rex.

What could go wrong? :shepicide:

Unless it's the one for the isla sorna security mission, nothing. This game makes everyone in the movies look like idiots because it's easier to keep large carnivores happy going in blind than it is herbivores.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

imweasel09 posted:

Unless it's the one for the isla sorna security mission, nothing. This game makes everyone in the movies look like idiots because it's easier to keep large carnivores happy going in blind than it is herbivores.

Yeah this. I made an indorex on Isla Pena because the description is like "make big name carnivores!!" and then all the missions want a t-rex, a ceratosaurus, some deinonychus, another t-rex, a metriacanthosaurus, some herbivores...

ended up selling my indorex just to make some space for the missions.

It's a really weird decision to make two Isla Pena missions require t-rexes with different modifications, when you already released one the moment you got onto the island before you haemorrhage all your money. You can just sell them but I don't like that, where are they going? I like some kind of attachment to these massive expensive creatures, I don't think you should be able to sell them at all. In Operation Genesis you just shot them to death if you didn't want them any more, right?

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 30, 2018

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tythas posted:

After rewatching Jurassic world it seems like the ACU team had all the tools to deal with other dinos on the island, like the net the shot onto the Indominus Rex's snout (mouth? beak?) would have worked just perfect on the T-Rex, it didnt work on the Indominus because it's arms were long enough to rip it off and it was smart enough and tough enough to deal with everyone else who was shocking it and hitting it with what I assume were tranquilizers

Edit neat fact about the new movie They spent $165 million on marketing for the movie

If your tactic for a gigantic land predator who can run 32 mph and has a history of hunting and eating people is to stand directly in front of it at short range and try to shoot a net around its mouth, you have hosed up and are an idiot. Even if you net the thing and maybe avoid getting chomped by it, the thing can easily catch and kill you in a million other stompy, smashy ways. Whatever they emptied into the thing with the small caliber guns was apparently utterly ineffective at stopping it or even slowing it down, despite the entire team magdumping into the thing, after all. As for the shock stick, just LOL, "let's go poke the giant maneater with short sticks and see what happens!"

Muldoon had a plan. His plan was to buy some laser guided rocket launchers (with manual backup sights in case the batteries failed), so he could sit hundreds of meters away at a safe distance next to a getaway vehicle while lobbing appropriately massive tranquilizer rockets at the giant deadly animal. And it worked, despite having to work around some problems like the lack of batteries for the sight and no assistance aside from some random goober.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 30, 2018

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Warbadger posted:

Muldoon had a plan. His plan was to buy some laser guided rocket launchers (with manual backup sights in case the batteries failed), so he could sit hundreds of meters away at a safe distance next to a getaway vehicle while lobbing appropriately massive tranquilizer rockets at the giant deadly animal. And it worked, despite having to work around some problems like the lack of batteries for the sight.

Yea but muldoon actually respected the giant killer animals where as they don't in Jurassic world. He also had a grenade launcher for killing Raptors

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
For that matter, why did nobody in the JP series ever buy a tank? A military surplus M 60 Patton has a weight of 50 tons and there's no way any land based creature on earth is going to knock it over or withstand its fire. Sure, it might give the guests pause but there's no reason they couldn't stash half a dozen in a bunker somewhere in an "in case of emergency break glass" catastrophic disaster type situation (which seems to happen all the time).

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tythas posted:

Yea but muldoon actually respected the giant killer animals where as they don't in Jurassic world. He also had a grenade launcher for killing Raptors

Exactly. He ensured he had appropriate tools for handling the animals (lethal and non-lethal), and showed a clear understanding of how dangerous and resilient they could be. Jurassic World ACU was a bunch of redshirts who did blatantly stupid things resulting in swift deaths for the lot of them while being both utterly ineffective and making the situation somehow worse with each encounter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You guys talking about the guy that got outsmarted by some 6-foot turkeys because he took forever to unfold a shotgun stock?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ijyt posted:

You guys talking about the guy that got outsmarted by some 6-foot turkeys because he took forever to unfold a shotgun stock?

He got outsmarted because he might have made the mistake of thinking that the one he could see in front of him was the only one there, which was dumb on so many levels considering what he knew about the raptors, but mostly he was buying time for Ellie to get away. And was he outsmarted? Or that dumb? He doesn’t look terribly surprised when the second raptor appears.

Muldoon was good and should've got Goldblum-level screen time

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 1, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But then Roland Tembo wouldn't have become the greatest character in the franchise.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

ijyt posted:

Only in the movie, in the books he outsmarted the raptors and lived (he also blew some up with grenades)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tythas posted:

Only in the movie, in the books he outsmarted the raptors and lived (he also blew some up with grenades)

The velociraptors in the book were also the right size

The movies and game are all Utahraptors

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I thought he scaled them up in the book, too? It’s been a while since I read it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, they were six feet tall in the book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

The velociraptors in the book were also the right size

The movies and game are all Utahraptors

Dakotaraptors are closer, actually. Roughly the same size as a Utahraptor except they look more like upsized Deinonychus specimens, and the Deinonychus is what the JP velociraptors actually are.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just about everything in JP is way oversized. The brachiosaurs are easily twice the size they actually were. I think there was a Gallimimus in Fallen Kingdom, and it must've been ten feet tall. They made the Kronosaurus so big that it's easily the largest creature to ever exist in the JP universe.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

the Deinonychus is what the JP velociraptors actually are.

UtahRaptors werent discovered until after the book and movie came out

wikipedia posted:

The type species (and only known species of Utahraptor), Utahraptor ostrommaysorum, was named by Kirkland, Gaston, and Burge in June 1993

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tythas posted:

UtahRaptors werent discovered until after the book and movie came out

I know that. And Dakotaraptor wasn't really known until the 2000s. But Dakotaraptor is closer to Deinonychus than Utahraptor and the JP velociraptor was designed and intended to be Deinonychus until a name change went through for velociraptor sounding more dynamic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just about everything in JP is way oversized.

Except for the Dilophosaurus!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the dilophosaurus was just a juvenile. Nedry says he was worried that it might have been one of its bigger siblings.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PoptartsNinja posted:

Except for the Dilophosaurus!

They're too constricted with monofilament lines to get too big.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the dilophosaurus was just a juvenile. Nedry says he was worried that it might have been one of its bigger siblings.

Pretty sure he was meaning bigger siblings like a t rex or whatever

e] VVV Nah he says "Nice boy" and "nice dinosaur" Also "I'm gonna run ya over when I get back down :argh: " lol

But yea I dunno why else they'd make it so much smaller. I'm pretty sure they said they only gave it the frill to differentiate it more from the raptors.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 1, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Pretty sure he was meaning bigger siblings like a t rex or whatever

I thought Nedry said "Nice little Dilo". Either way, nothing says it can't be a juvenile. The ones in this game are about the right size for an actual Dilophosaurus.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

For that matter, why did nobody in the JP series ever buy a tank? A military surplus M 60 Patton has a weight of 50 tons and there's no way any land based creature on earth is going to knock it over or withstand its fire. Sure, it might give the guests pause but there's no reason they couldn't stash half a dozen in a bunker somewhere in an "in case of emergency break glass" catastrophic disaster type situation (which seems to happen all the time).
I'm sure they would have just ended up driven off a cliff as they were blindly chasing raptors or something.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I thought he scaled them up in the book, too? It’s been a while since I read it.

Yes, in both books they were man sized.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Poil posted:

I'm sure they would have just ended up driven off a cliff as they were blindly chasing raptors or something.

They would have two tanks, and the t-rex would run between them and trick them into blowing up each other.

That's what I expect from the humans in this franchise.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just about everything in JP is way oversized. The brachiosaurs are easily twice the size they actually were. I think there was a Gallimimus in Fallen Kingdom, and it must've been ten feet tall. They made the Kronosaurus so big that it's easily the largest creature to ever exist in the JP universe.

This looks pretty close to me.

I haven't seen how big the Gallimimus is depicted, but they were pretty big. Wiki puts them at 1.9 meters (6 ft 3 in) at the hip, so 3 meters (10 ft) with the neck sounds about right, depending on posture.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know that. And Dakotaraptor wasn't really known until the 2000s. But Dakotaraptor is closer to Deinonychus than Utahraptor and the JP velociraptor was designed and intended to be Deinonychus until a name change went through for velociraptor sounding more dynamic.
Crichton originally called them Velociraptor because the palaeontologist he was using as his source for some reason classified Deinonychus as Velociraptor. Then the film I think at some point called them Deinonychus but decided Velociraptor was cooler.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm pretty sure they said they only gave it the frill to differentiate it more from the raptors.
The frills are nice. There's no reason to think this particular one would have had that particular ornament, but there's every reason to think dinosaurs would have had ornamental features just like birds do that don't fossilize well.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 1, 2018

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lets be honest, it is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GamingHyena posted:

Unless Fallen Kingdom changes something, the only time we see any military they're A) driving around on motorcycles and jeeps, B) flying in helicopters, or C) aircraft carriers (presumably to transport all those helicopters).

Jurassic Park is a universe where the tank never existed, so of course they need to turn dinosaurs into war machines! :aaa:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 1, 2018

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unless Fallen Kingdom changes something, the only time we see any military they're A) driving around on motorcycles and jeeps, B) flying in helicopters, or C) aircraft carriers (presumably to transport all those helicopters).

Jurassic Park is a universe where the tank never existed, so of course they need to turn dinosaurs into war machines! :aaa:

Yeah, it's kinda odd that anyone would want a dinosaur for military purposes. Like, the problem of killing big animals from safety was solved back when people stopped using war elephants and these days every military is sporting weapons to destroy armored, fast moving vehicles that would be extreme overkill on something like the iRex. Plus, you know, if they are useful then having a deadly animal running around is probably not going to be great for your own troops or anyone else you don't want dead kinda like like pathogenic biological weapons.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 1, 2018

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, it's kinda odd that anyone would want a dinosaur for military purposes. Like, the problem of killing big animals from safety was solved back when people stopped using war elephants and these days every military is sporting weapons to destroy kill armored, fast moving vehicles. Plus, you know, if they are useful then having a deadly animal running around is probably not going to be great for your own troops or anyone else you don't want dead kinda like like pathogenic biological weapons.

We still use dogs in law enforcement and the military.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Dienes posted:

We still use dogs in law enforcement and the military.

Dogs aren't especially dangerous to an adult human and are uniquely capable of following commands and integrating into human social units. They are small, easy to care for, and used primarily for their senses, tracking instinct, and ability to chase and incapacitate on command. Like, if the dog (or dolphin) gets loose you don't have to worry about it eating the locals or massacring your next patrol.

Even then, you have them individually supervised by handlers (who provide the deadly weapon part of the team in the form of a gun). Nobody is setting packs of trained attack dogs (these would actually be potentially dangerous to an individual or small group of people!) loose into cities or jungles to seek and destroy the enemy or whatever like the Jurassic World stereotypical warmonger guy was talking about.

Wolves are the same species and have comparatively amazing physical endurance, stronger jaws, more sensitive noses, etc. and yet nobody uses them for military purposes despite many attempts to do so. The reason? They think independently (see: don't follow commands reliably) and they've got a ton of undesirable instinctive baggage like every other wild animal and that makes them utterly worthless for military or law enforcement.

Edit: Also, imagine being the dude having to carry around the 50 pounds of velociraptor food in his ruck for a 2 day excursion.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 1, 2018

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
More to the point, indoraptors as shown in the movie make zero sense in combat. If you get indoraptors to kill someone by using a rifle to point a laser on their chest and give away your position by making an easily heard noise, why not just cut out the middle man and shoot the dude in the chest with your rifle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Elukka posted:

Crichton originally called them Velociraptor because the palaeontologist he was using as his source for some reason classified Deinonychus as Velociraptor.
I've read Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, and his rationale was that he thought a lot of similar-looking dinosaur genera actually represented multiple species within single genera.

Not... entirely incorrectly, either (it was wrong in this specific case, but that's somewhat understandable considering how iirc Velociraptor, Deinonychus, and Dromaeosaurus proper were the only dromaeosaurs known in the 80s). For example, Dracorex and Stygimoloch are almost certainly not real species, they're stages Pachycephalosaurus goes through as it grows up.

• Locked thread