Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Hogama posted:

sort your Vault,

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
An interesting post from a JP vet on GameFAQs about the upcoming FFT banners:

SolitaireD posted:

Welcome aboard on this new banner format train that current JP is still riding on.

If you are following with JP ongoings, you will know that foresight is not as useful because…….there is nothing much to pull for.

Event banners are screwed towards Torment 2.0, relic content is cruelly design to entice the desperate to pull both banners.
Characters made an about turn just to be useful in Torment, some are experimental failures like Montblanc in this event.
Even when Torment 2.0 and a new 5* Magicite arrive on the same day, event banners will still 100% be devoted to Torment.

Take this event for example: New power creeped and Torment specific relics in B1, important old relics in B2, and Orlandeau's USB is absent.
JP don't have foresight and we can see DeNA swirling TGCid USB from a distance with a mocking grin.
Devs can argue all they want about designing Torment 2.0 to be a long term goal, but this is just artificial difficulty.

Next 2 fests are relatively terrible compared to what we have so far.
Upcoming fest is technically not bad, but it does not look good from an overall view or in retrospect. Banners feel like they are forced upon players, and the duds are mean.
Fest contents are bad too. Enjoy your Weapons while you can because nothing is going to beat them yet.

Developers stubbornly fill Banner 2s with only old relics, even when the realm is dire for new ones (FF2/3/etc), even when it is 12-relic format.

Banner 2's stigma of being inferior will worsen exponentially.
Some may not be bad, but B1 still contain those new power creep toys. Torment frustration traps are not helping too.

This is the period where JP lost the most players, there is an in-depth Japanese article that has the sales/data statistics to support this (may translate it when I have the time, it's interesting).
And they continue to lose veterans as more Torments & Magicites are added.

Artificial difficulty is one thing, these two being the only challenging content is another, but banners are the final nail to the coffin as they are not as fun to pull on.
Top heavy banners are always a norm. But the money grubbing intent is made even more glaringly obvious in event/fest banners to come.

And there is still the 14 vs 12 relic format you guys can look forward to.

Here's hoping it's a bit exaggerated.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
RW system desperately needs an overhaul because I genuinely don't know if I'm going to die of old age before I find what I'm looking for amid the thousands of Ultra Cross Slashes.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you just get dr mog for like 80% of the challenging content anyway, and can rely on like two godwalls for the rest

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Try using http://friends-ffrk.com - you can look up someone with the right RW and add them to your friend list.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ripley posted:

Try using http://friends-ffrk.com - you can look up someone with the right RW and add them to your friend list.

That is hells of useful, cheers.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I did notice that banners and even fests get less exciting going forward, I kind of blame that on brave mode usb’s just not being that great.

The 12 relic change seems objectively better though so dunno why people are upset about that.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 10, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yay orran

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Avalerion posted:

The 12 relic change seems objectively better though so dunno why people are upset about that.

I've been trying to figure that out as well. My impression from the sidelines is that it's objectively better (or at least no worse) than having two extra mediocre BSBs on the banner, but feels subjectively worse when

a) you're the unlucky dope who goes 1/11 Squall's BSB1, or

b) you're a whale who spent $200 to get Hot Item X on a previous banner and now it shows up randomly off-banner.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Ripley posted:

b) you're a whale who spent $200 to get Hot Item X on a previous banner and now it shows up randomly off-banner.

It is worth noting that Reddit's opinion is skewed by this as there are a fair few people doing cash pulls. Heck, as I understand it there's more than a few people who have managed to spend enough that Google actually cuts them off and refuses to process further payments.

I will say I don't play my JP account as actively as I used to but I'm also not playing my new Global as much either. It is true that all the banner 2's recently have been nothing but old stuff, though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Even then you'd think vets would prefer having a banner they can safely ignore instead of spreading the new relics out even more, while there will always be new players for whom it might not actually be old stuff.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Even then you'd think vets would prefer having a banner they can safely ignore instead of spreading the new relics out even more, while there will always be new players for whom it might not actually be old stuff.

That's kind of been my reaction. Like yeah, it sucks if some of the stuff you want is on banner 2 . . . I dunno, I've got literally hundreds of relics and probably at least 50 USBs so I just kind of pull for whoever I want cool things for and don't worry about it otherwise. :unsmith:

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
I really wasn't completely sure of what magicites were worthy of inheritance and what they'd be inheriting. The only ones that jumped out at me were adding empower water to Kraken since it's the only 4* imperil (and my water team is rad) and doubling up the damper elements. After grinding Tiamat this week, I've finally got all 8 elements with two lvl10 dampers inherited. I scored Squall's AOSB and Glint during the fest so I wanted to try out getting a sub-30 on Tiamat with a physical team, but I'm consistently a sliver of health off. Oh well, my magic team took care of it and even got a sub-25 number (Lulu's USB is good y'all).

I think topping off the 3* imperil magicites makes the most sense as far as future inheritance goes.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
For future reference, you can get a 7 dampen at lv65, so you end up with 14% instead of 15% for way less exp.

As far as the 3* imperils go, beefing up shell dragon (and your earth decks in general) is good, but for all the other elements so far, everyone seems to use the 5* magicites as their mains because at lv99 they always do overflow hits, which basically takes care of the savage mode mechanic for you.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Olan's Ultra inflicts either resistance-piercing Stop or Slow or Paralyze or something like that. :allears:

It'll probably just give everyone fast cast for 2 turns or something boring, though. :(

Nephrite fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 10, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm definitely starting to feel some annoyance at future banners. I really need some good holy USBs or a chain, because Hades is the only 4* I can't sub-30 yet. Right now my only decent options are Ramza, Agrias, or Beatrix, and then nothing until the next festival. And those options suck because the FFT banner is full of dupes and the FF9 banner is full of garbage.

It really doesn't help that the good holy USBs are concentrated in the hands of only a few characters (Orlandeau, Marche, Beatrix) while the rest are basically just enholy SSBs with a useless defensive buff. Or that most of their LM2s are classic examples of trying to squeeze a tank peg into a dps hole. No DeNA, nobody cares that Basch has a chance to cover another character on the rare PHY-coded attack.

Maybe I'm just at the point where I've played this game enough to really notice its flaws.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gave Tiamat a go and gently caress those back to back aoe hits sideways. What's the recomended strategy here, three healers, a ton of blinks?

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm definitely starting to feel some annoyance at future banners. I really need some good holy USBs or a chain, because Hades is the only 4* I can't sub-30 yet. Right now my only decent options are Ramza, Agrias, or Beatrix, and then nothing until the next festival. And those options suck because the FFT banner is full of dupes and the FF9 banner is full of garbage.

It really doesn't help that the good holy USBs are concentrated in the hands of only a few characters (Orlandeau, Marche, Beatrix) while the rest are basically just enholy SSBs with a useless defensive buff. Or that most of their LM2s are classic examples of trying to squeeze a tank peg into a dps hole. No DeNA, nobody cares that Basch has a chance to cover another character on the rare PHY-coded attack.

Maybe I'm just at the point where I've played this game enough to really notice its flaws.

I think part of it is without a chain, I find physical teams do way less damage than magic teams in the magicite world. I'm not sure if it's because of where the soft caps are at in relation to the boss stats, but with a couple magic buffs, decent mage relics can go a long way versus a physical team up against the soft cap. This is especially problematic with Holy since there are a million physical holy characters and like two mages. I don't know if anyone else gets similar results but unless you have top tier physical relics, magic has always been the way to go for me.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Gave Tiamat a go and gently caress those back to back aoe hits sideways. What's the recomended strategy here, three healers, a ton of blinks?

it's the only 4* that i double-heal, with selphie and elarra

if you don't have a good last stand you're probably in trouble though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Bismarck Magicite helps as a one-shot buffer against Savage Jet Fire. Tiamat uses two back to back near the end, so that could be handy.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
SolitaireD knows what he’s talking about. Though he is leaving something out.

Event banners are indeed 100% focused on relics for nutorments with no regards to 5* magicites. It’s plain as day and admittably it makes sense. Want synergy for FFIV? Pull on a IV banner.

This is made worse by a lot of people straight up ignoring the torments because the hardest difficulty is literally whale only territory. It is absolutely off limits for someone like me and if I were to go deep enough on one realm to beat it I no longer have mythril for the other ~15. So gently caress them imo.

However DeNA did release elemental pickup banners and stuff like ability double pickups to gear people up for magicites.

We can’t tell if those are coming to GL but I’m fairly confident we get them. It’s difficult to plan for them since we can’t tell what’s going to be on them and when they’ll come. It’s strange to lose the JP foresight.

What FR said about physical holy USBs being limited to three users is also true. I guess Ramza can join them as a fourth soon. Unfortunately it’s not even limited to holy. How many users have good physical ice usbs? Squall, Laguna? Laguna is ideally your chain holder too. Physical water is strong as hell but it’s just bartz, teedus and the ninjas. Physical earth? Magic earth, water, wind, holy? Magic ice is just Rinoa and Ysayle for now too. Meanwhile at DeNA headquarters another fire USB is being made. On a banner with a new dark mage USB that no one asked for.

Probably intentional but terrible design nevertheless.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Probably intentional but terrible design nevertheless.
It just seems like a massive inherent limitation when trying to mix fidelity to the original FF lore and crafting a new balanced challenging experience.

When you keep one-upping the difficulty level while leaving the artificial realm constraints in place, something's going to give.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i dunno, it looks like an attempt to bilk customers by intentionally narrowing the viable options to me

e: geeze we're up for 6 months of nothing but loving fire aren't we

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean, your description is accurate, though. The game's content feels like it's designed around a bunch of assumptions - elemental damage types are equally common and viable, realms are equally stocked with useful characters and relics - that aren't true. Instead you have a ton of characters and SBs that are only contextually useful (debuffs) or pretty much questionable 100% of the time (tank poo poo) because the whole endgame has always been about DPS throughput and kill speed other than some of the Nightmares.

Magicites just made that speed thing more explicit, but it's always been the case that dawdling and playing too defensively will wreck you because of stuff like hones and so many high level bosses having timed or critical HP triggers to go psycho.

The easiest solution would be to just chill with the loving difficulty increases for a long time, but then whales would complain that the game was too easy and people wouldn't be spending enough money. F2P ftl

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Meanwhile at DeNA headquarters another fire USB is being made. On a banner with a new dark mage USB that no one asked for.

My favourite is the Fire USB made for the character with a completely dark focused dive. Lookin' at you Jecht.

Before I grabbed Maria's USB the fest, I was seriously looking at WoFF for my magical holy/earth needs. As in, I wanted more magical earth which Enna Kros does well (and brings some stat sticks for her to use) but I really wanted Tama's Holy Radiant Shield so I could stall just my way through the eventual magic holy Magicite with Raines, Tama and three White Mages.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Are all the 5* Wisdom motes locked behind bosses with lovely mechanics? The XIV jumpstart Torment is bullshit, the VI Goddess is bullshit, none of these fights allow me to be super offensive. Goddess resists everything, I can never kill Garuda’s razor things in time.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Honestly for the XIV D300 Torment I just ate the Aerial Blast to the face and somehow lived. You can probably just Last Stand through it or put up a Stoneskin.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

So I decided to pick this game up again after the new thread was made. Last I was playing I was record diving Onion Knight and I had just picked up TG Cid Overstrike soul break. I followed the post on the first page and have been completing realm dungeons and anything else I can plow through with auto battle.

But now I gotta put the big boy pants and start doing nightmare dungeons and the sort. I am sitting on almost 400 mythril. Need some advice where to use it.

Current Ultra SB:
Zell - Burning Duel
Josef - Heroic Soul
Relm - Divine Portrait
Aerith - Hidden Bloom
Shantotto - A Thousand Suns
Wakka - Aurochs Spirit

Current Overstrike SB:
TG Cid - Thunder God
Maria - Kerplode XXXII
Onion Knight - Sword and Spell
Kain - Kain's Lance

I got about 20 Burst SB's - I can list them if it helps but most notable include:
Yshotla - Asylum
PCecil - Paladin Force
Beatrix - Knight Protector
Luneth - Eternal Wind
Krile - Tomorrow's Promise
Meliadoul - Crush Helm

SSB
Ramza - Shout
Arc - Renewing Rains / Word of Kindness
Luneth - Swordshower
Onion Knight - Onion Slice
Krile - Sheepsong
Ovelia - Divine Ward
Tyro - Sentinel Shield (it took until now to get this)
Minfilia - Blessing of Light
Celes - Indomitable Blade

I realize some of this stuff seems incredibly dated but I can definitely go nuts on a few banners. Some realm synergy's are really poor, FF4 and FF12 I think is where I lack the most.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What FR said about physical holy USBs being limited to three users is also true. I guess Ramza can join them as a fourth soon. Unfortunately it’s not even limited to holy. How many users have good physical ice usbs? Squall, Laguna? Laguna is ideally your chain holder too. Physical water is strong as hell but it’s just bartz, teedus and the ninjas. Physical earth? Magic earth, water, wind, holy? Magic ice is just Rinoa and Ysayle for now too. Meanwhile at DeNA headquarters another fire USB is being made. On a banner with a new dark mage USB that no one asked for.

I guess, maybe I'm just bitching because my only holy USB is Basch, but something just feels lopsided for holy. I think part of it is that there's literally only one ability school for physical holy damage, whereas all the other elements have at least two. And there are plenty of characters that can do multiple elements effectively, like Butz or Vivi. The closest you get to that for holy is Delita, but he's built specifically for spellblade abilities.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There really should be some holy samurais.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Avalerion posted:

There really should be some holy samurais.

They could have went that route with Ramza when they gave him holy attacks.

Or sneak holy into multi-elemental samurai kits.

While I'm wishing, I'd like dark and fire based witch spells.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

How many users have good physical ice usbs? Squall, Laguna?

Squall, Laguna, Noel, Ayame, Firion (BUSB), Snow (Ice Radiant), Celes, Umaro, Sora.

quote:

Physical water is strong as hell but it’s just bartz, teedus and the ninjas.

Bartz, Tidus, Yuffie, Edge, Kimahri (Water Radiant), Rikku, Paine.

quote:

Physical earth?

Ingus, Yang, Galuf, Bartz, Kelger, Dorgann, Leo, Tifa, Thancred, Gladiolus, Cinque. After this month, Ursula.

quote:

Magic earth, water, wind, holy?

Earth: Maria, Emperor, Onion Knight, Rydia, Red XIII (Earth Radiant), Rinoa, Enna Kros.

Water: Onion Knight, Rydia, Strago (Water Radiant), Lulu. This is the only really light group.

Wind: not needed yet. That magicite isn't coming out until August in Japan. There's still Onion Knight, Barbariccia, Fujin, Ultimecia (upcoming), Alphinaud.

Holy: not needed yet. That magicite isn't coming out until September or October in Japan. There's still Minwu, Arc, Yuna, Hope, Cid Raines (with BSB), Rem, Tama (Holy Radiant).

quote:

Magic ice is just Rinoa and Ysayle for now too.

Rinoa, Edea, Lulu, Serah, Ysayle, Seven, Reynn.

There's also quite a number of off-element characters who still work perfectly well, like Vivi and Palom. Vivi is in my Belias (5 star Fire Magicite) team, for crying out loud.

You are greatly underestimating the variety of options which will be available to you.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 10, 2018

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Manged to finish off all the Torments, but obviously not the CMs as I have about 12 people Lv99 in total. Still, reasonably happy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Manged to finish off all the Torments, but obviously not the CMs as I have about 12 people Lv99 in total. Still, reasonably happy.

argh I'm stuck on a few of them :(

FF6 jumpstart I just keep getting the boss to like 10-15% health and then the little idiots suicide, but I feel like if i bother with killing them I'm just going to die a lot sooner since they have so much loving HP, also haven't beaten 7 yet I don't think? Whatever one has the lich + 2 flames.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

valigarmanda is real useful on hidon, just a few casts can take a big chunk out of the erebuses

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Prav posted:

valigarmanda is real useful on hidon, just a few casts can take a big chunk out of the erebuses

hmm guess I should go get that, I've finished probably half the nightmares so far, that's probably the only useful one that I haven't done yet.

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

MarquiseMindfang posted:

but obviously not the CMs as I have about 12 people Lv99 in total

You can probably do some of them with the time that's left. My FF1 D200 CM team was lv99 Warrior of Light and level 65 everybody else. Sarah came without any SBs but her default. For the first four rounds, AoE black magic was my best bud. Many of my D300 CM teams had a couple lv80s or lower. If you can't beat them with three realm characters, you can still get motes with just one or two. It can be done!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I do like that they are having more characters be in different elements. Being Swiss Army Knives of the elements is pretty cool aside being solely specialized in 1, even if that specialization is concentrated death in a can.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zurai posted:

There's also quite a number of off-element characters who still work perfectly well, like Vivi and Palom. Vivi is in my Belias (5 star Fire Magicite) team, for crying out loud.

You are greatly underestimating the variety of options which will be available to you.

am i misunderstanding something or do i not know about Belias because Vivi is absolutely not off-element for fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

am i misunderstanding something or do i not know about Belias because Vivi is absolutely not off-element for fire

He's fire element so he would be weak to water.

I'm presuming he gets Vivi to trance then spams Vortex.