Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RabidWeasel posted:

Oh good I thought I was the only one seeing the big jiggly mono-titty. That was a weird sprite.

There's two. The other one's hidden behind the arm.

Cerberus is weird, but not THAT weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Arcturas posted:

So glad to see this again!

Though I forgot how much your habit of damage-running by everything drives me up the wall when you get knocked back and it takes even longer.

If it helps just think about how the LP is overall still faster than trying to kill everything even if some bits are bad!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot of time that gets eaten up by trying to kill every single thing, it's true

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If an enemy attacks upward, it does make it hard to avoid them by jumping over them.

Metroid26
Apr 17, 2018
The boss and mini-boss attacks weren't completely patched out, they were just made exclusive to hard mode. :unsmigghh:
One fun fact about Phaia(the boar lady mini-boss), after she splits up you sometimes see a spark of light fly from her to the boar or vice-versa. Only the one with that spark will take damage.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Ayyy, great to have this LP back. It's great to have one that goes through the steps for how you're supposed to get the clues to solve everything. The other LP by Highwang is great, too, though.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I keep misreading this thread title as "whip wails, pit fails".

But yeah, one thing did change in the patch if you haven't gotten around to dealing with ___Hel___ yet:

They removed the exit-only door from EP Doom that's 3 screens away from her and that was 1 screen up from the doppelganger. Make sure to take the first option when you get to her to warp out once before engaging or you'll end up in a soft lock with no way out since you won't be able to get use of the Grail back.

Mind you, this may have been intended since one of the tablets has always warned "Do not face her in the nakedness of innocence.", but until the patch that was easy enough to not get punished over due to that exit.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 17

Here have a thing!

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Another reason why you can't show the egg to Odin, is becuse Odin is not a person in La-mulana 2, but the name for the ruling party of Aesir, so Ymir must be the thing you show the egg to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For that button you couldn't remember, I believe if you stand on the pot to the left and crouch you can crawl into that space.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I know the blue beasts respond to all projectiles. Not sure about melee weapons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wheel of time definitely is kind of a 'guilty pleasure' sort of book series. there's a lot of neat little worldbuilding details and after a point it's easy enough to just kind of let the absolute stupid excess of characters and whatever wash over you and not worry too much about it, but then you run into the bits where the author was really clearly horny and decided to add things to go with that and it's mildly jarring.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I still feel uneasy seeing you not get crushed by those two platforms in the time bird tower.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

Episode 17

Here have a thing!

I like things! Bles you for continuing still Agent <3

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Oh goddammit I didn't realize you could move the eye lasers by hitting them. I'd been wondering what the one stupid thing I missed was.

AweStriker posted:

I know the blue beasts respond to all projectiles. Not sure about melee weapons.

Yeah, I did it with the shurikens. If you stand off-center, you can make the long throw and still have time to turn around and throw the other one so they hit at the same time. It's still a pretty tight window but it's doable.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

wheel of time definitely is kind of a 'guilty pleasure' sort of book series. there's a lot of neat little worldbuilding details and after a point it's easy enough to just kind of let the absolute stupid excess of characters and whatever wash over you and not worry too much about it, but then you run into the bits where the author was really clearly horny and decided to add things to go with that and it's mildly jarring.

Wheel of time has some real obvious faults but I'll maintain that the stuff it does right it does really right and it can be worth sifting through all the crap just for that. :yeah:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent355 posted:

Wheel of time has some real obvious faults but I'll maintain that the stuff it does right it does really right and it can be worth sifting through all the crap just for that. :yeah:

absolutely. the magic system is kind of a microcosm of the whole thing as well because there's some iffy aspects but overall it's one of my favorite interpretations of magic in fantasy series.

also on topic for the let's play, i totally did the blue eyes puzzle without time stop as well and i'm not sure why i put myself through the annoyance of timing shurikens well enough to get it right.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
The "looks like a kid icarus enemy" with the fork might have you thinking of the Tempura Wizard, who yeah turns you into a shrimp and then can kill you in one hit by eating you:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I feel so attacked right now :ohdear:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yapo, I still love you. And all co-commentators. (Though on iPhone your name autocorrects to Tapp, so dunno what to do about that. You might want to change your name.)

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Oooh, glad to see this is back.

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Another reason why you can't show the egg to Odin, is becuse Odin is not a person in La-mulana 2, but the name for the ruling party of Aesir, so Ymir must be the thing you show the egg to.

Also as for the Brahma puzzle, it's less creator deities and more the primordial essence that all others came from. I can't speak for the Japanese one, but the other four are indeed the Primordial Deity that all other creation sprang from. For the Norse Ymir was the first being who arose out of the chaos and gave birth to the giants, eventually leading to Odin and his brothers who slew him and made the universe out of his corpse.

Abzu is the primordial god of fresh water who came into being along with his consort Tiamat, the primordial goddess of salt water. They filled creation with their waters, until one day the god Anu arose, and from him came the other gods. Eventually the god Marduk rose up and slew Abzu to usurp his place as lord of the entire universe. Enraged, Tiamat bore eleven children (which were the minibosses from the first La Mulana) and attempted to kill Marduk to avenge her husband. With the aid of the other gods, Marduk prevailed and formed the Universe out of her corpse.

Chaos on the other hand is less a god and more the boundless, eternal void at the beginning from which arose Gaia, Nyx and Erebus. And from them came the Titans and then the gods.

Atum, unlike the other actual gods I mentioned, does not have an antagonistic role with his creation. Again, he is the first being that arose out of nothingness. Depending on the story he either sneezed or masturbated, and this action created the physical universe, as well as the first two gods Shu and Tefnut, and from them the rest of the Ennead and then the rest of the Egyptian deities. As a benevolent creator he was worshipped along with his progeny rather than reviled as a demon like Ymir and Abzu/Tiamat. In fact it was not an uncommon belief that like the gods all of creation, including humanity, were divine as they were all part of Atum.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I feel so attacked right now :ohdear:

I actually miss that dynamic where you gave Agent poo poo for losing chakrams.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

mortons stork posted:

:saddowns:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

mortons stork posted:

It lives on in the counting of missed chakrams.

I'm pretty sure Agent lost at least 1 or 2 last episode in fact!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

I know the struggle, I've played La-Mulana. I've lost more than I can count, that's why it was funny

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 18

Here have a thing while I think about what the next video is going to be! I'm still not sure!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I fought Surtr so many times, and I never noticed the runes spelling "SURTR" on his arms.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh, and because a patch went and added artwork to the gallery for all the monsters that I already took a picture of and uploaded I'm going to chill on gallery updates until the last episode and then just post a single completed gallery with all the new artwork in it for people to ogle.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

RaspberryCommie posted:

I fought Surtr so many times, and I never noticed the runes spelling "SURTR" on his arms.

There are a couple of proper uses of runes in LM2 in addition to that one. Mantras spray their mantra words in when they're used, and of course the right side of the UI says "LAMULANA". I was sad there was no proper Futhark puzzle to go with all that, though.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Do you mean to tell me they gave Surtr... a FLOOR?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

Episode 18

Here have a thing while I think about what the next video is going to be! I'm still not sure!

The intro just gave me a thought, have you ever opened with your intros and then "And here's the Hot Spring, in case you forgot"? It just seems fitting with your running gag.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The new Surtr fight looks boring. It used to be that he was highly manipulated into doing things based on where you are. You jumped in front of him and he peeks his head out or you avoid him and he throws a tantrum and tons of rocks fall from the sky nonstop. He was so enjoyable as a giant manbaby when you got the strategy down. People forgot that the claws could stick to those pillars and when he walked off screen to punch you, you could easily avoid it and if a rock falls on you, you took a few damage and that rock turned into a platform.

Old version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81xABO3WbDg

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The new Surtr fight looks boring. It used to be that he was highly manipulated into doing things based on where you are. You jumped in front of him and he peeks his head out or you avoid him and he throws a tantrum and tons of rocks fall from the sky nonstop. He was so enjoyable as a giant manbaby when you got the strategy down. People forgot that the claws could stick to those pillars and when he walked off screen to punch you, you could easily avoid it and if a rock falls on you, you took a few damage and that rock turned into a platform.

Old version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81xABO3WbDg

The old Surtr fight was boring too, it was just boring longer because you kept having to restart after you randomly died.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

The intro just gave me a thought, have you ever opened with your intros and then "And here's the Hot Spring, in case you forgot"? It just seems fitting with your running gag.

Hot spring? What hot spring?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Anime Reference posted:

The old Surtr fight was boring too, it was just boring longer because you kept having to restart after you randomly died.
How do you randomly die? There were always rocks to land on.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Delvio posted:

Hot spring? What hot spring?

Did you ever find the Alert software? Its hard to tell that the hot spring is doing anything without Alert on

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The design Moz was thinking of is a kokpelli, and the band he associated it with is Rusted Root.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Scalding Coffee posted:

How do you randomly die? There were always rocks to land on.

You're funny, the rocks on the Surtr fight are entirely RNG. It took me 20+ runs even with an infinite ammo pistol because my floor would just randomly fall apart with no room to recover. Even after discovering his cheesable pattern, old Surtr is the worst fight in this game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

The design Moz was thinking of is a kokpelli, and the band he associated it with is Rusted Root.

I brought this to him and he was totally thinking of a kokpelli but he's not sure that's the band. So you get half credit which is still pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PlasticAutomaton posted:

You're funny, the rocks on the Surtr fight are entirely RNG. It took me 20+ runs even with an infinite ammo pistol because my floor would just randomly fall apart with no room to recover. Even after discovering his cheesable pattern, old Surtr is the worst fight in this game.
Old Jormundgandrrrrr was completely broken to me. His death animation caused my computer to run at single digit fps, so I watched him very slowly press buttons on his bike each time I beat him. Game plays at normal speed and I couldn't survive his final attack, no matter what I did. I won several times and still lost in the end.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 29, 2019