Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
BoP changes afoot! Megane and 4C getting knocked back some.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-update-brings-huge-mid-season-balance-of-performance-changes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

My playseat never leaves my living room. Far far too lazy. Race A this week is good for DR grinding BTW.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

So my five year old asked me if he could play some GTS and then this happened.

https://youtu.be/jhz1dF7qfkk

I've never been more proud.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mercedes posted:

A little more time and he will be better than most of this thread. :v:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Mercedes posted:

It’s probably pushing bed time territory but you should get him in on those Monday night races!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I said come in! posted:

A little more time and he will be better than most of this thread. :v:

Honestly he seems better than me already

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I wish I didn't wait until coronavirus to start playing this more frequently. The level of racing you get in the FIA series is just so good, especially now that I'm in the A DR bracket. People are just so incentivized in these season long series to not be a complete moron. The manufacturer series race on Brands Hatch on Wednesday was awesome and I was jacked as hell afterwords and I didn't even win. Qualied fourth, got up to second, had a guy all over me and went off under pressure, fell back to fourth, and battled my way back up to the podium. What follows is a big media dump from that. Also this game looks really good but you all know that already. Can't wait to see what GT7 looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej2fWLx_TPQ

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Stunning.

Well I know what I'm doing with the rest of my half-work day.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New Gran Turismo announcement this week? :pray:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I honestly did not expect Gran Turismo 7 to be announced. I figured it would be "heres gran turismo sport on PS5." That looked really amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They better still have the Sport online functionality, that’s all I care about.

This is just me wishing but I really hope they open up the controller compatibility a bit. I’d love to play GT 7 with my t300rs wheel and fanatec pedals and not have to go through a GIMX/Drivehub to do it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is just me wishing but I really hope they open up the controller compatibility a bit. I’d love to play GT 7 with my t300rs wheel and fanatec pedals and not have to go through a GIMX/Drivehub to do it

Yep its back! https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-revealed-20200611/

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Agreed on the sport piece. Looks incredible, hoping we get to keep all the cars and tracks from GT Sport.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also it will be weird since GT sport will be backwards compatible, so day one people will be playing it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also it will be weird since GT sport will be backwards compatible, so day one people will be playing it

I am really glad its backwards compatible because GT7 won't be available for awhile, its not a launch title, in fact it had no release date shown.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Am I weird for hoping they bring back the Car Pokemon aspect in 7? One of the things I loved about the older games was taking a regular car that my parents owned, or that a friend owned, and trying to build it into a competent racing machine. (the PT Cruiser does not make a good rally car, as it turns out.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They said that’s coming back. I’m sure there would have been mass revolt if they released another entry without it

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bring back the half-inch thick manual please.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dangerllama posted:

Bring back the half-inch thick manual please.

The GT5 special edition driving guide is a thing of beauty

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

Am I weird for hoping they bring back the Car Pokemon aspect in 7? One of the things I loved about the older games was taking a regular car that my parents owned, or that a friend owned, and trying to build it into a competent racing machine. (the PT Cruiser does not make a good rally car, as it turns out.)

No need to hope, that is confirmed back.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Guess I’m going to have to learn how to tune a car and what all the terms mean and do if the next games all about evolving your fit into a Charizard. I wonder how the car inventory will transfer into online mode. Will I have to unlock cars in story mode to use them online or can I just pick from a selection of picked cars for the daily races?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Moe_Rahn posted:

that main menu screen they showed in the trailer had big Gran Turismo 4 energy, and Kaz said in the pre-amble they were focusing on the single-player content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz-O74SmTSQ

they've done a hell of a job to build GT Sport into something of an esport, so they're not going to waste that in the next game. Hopefully.

also, looks like there's going to be a Super GT x GT Sport esport race this coming weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDi6gagnFjk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For those not familiar with Gran Turismo development, cause I know a lot of people got their start with this series with Sport; What you see in a Gran Turismo reveal almost never ends up being in the actual release. Gran Turismo 5 took like 5 years to development and had like a dozen trailers that showed content that never ended up being in the game. Gran Turismo 7 will probably not be out until late 2022 with the way PD develops their main games. It will be worth the wait, but be prepared for that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

For those not familiar with Gran Turismo development, cause I know a lot of people got their start with this series with Sport; What you see in a Gran Turismo reveal almost never ends up being in the actual release. Gran Turismo 5 took like 5 years to development and had like a dozen trailers that showed content that never ended up being in the game. Gran Turismo 7 will probably not be out until late 2022 with the way PD develops their main games. It will be worth the wait, but be prepared for that.

GT Sport was 2017, so yeah launching GT7 in 2021 would track.

also I swear I see a Porsche 911 GT1 in one of the screenshots posted on GT Planet.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

harperdc posted:

that main menu screen they showed in the trailer had big Gran Turismo 4 energy, and Kaz said in the pre-amble they were focusing on the single-player content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz-O74SmTSQ

they've done a hell of a job to build GT Sport into something of an esport, so they're not going to waste that in the next game. Hopefully.

also, looks like there's going to be a Super GT x GT Sport esport race this coming weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDi6gagnFjk

The FIA-GT Championships will be continuing for sure, there's been too much money spent on developing the brand to quit now, especially now that Michelin are involved.

There was also a Super Formula race!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdVymxx0NQ

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

I think the difference between the release of 7 and Sport was that they were starting from the ground up with Sport. 7 is more-or-less a continuation of the Sport entry - all the assets from Sport truly were designed to be used for 7.

Another big change in these games was the paradigm shift we saw in Sport. It launched as a pretty measly title with essentially no offline gameplay, 168 cars and 29 tracks. We're now up to 334 cars and 60 tracks (plus configurations).
If the RPG mode was ready to go tomorrow they'd have enough of a game to launch using the current asset lineup of Sport. But we know they've at least got a few original classic tracks up their sleeve and we haven't seen the 5-8 car updates every month in a while. My guess is they've turned them off so they'd have some new poo poo to ship in 7. (If they kept doing releases like they did in 2018/19 we'd be up another 50 cars.)

It might not be a launch title but I don't think it'll be too far off.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think if PD was smart, they'll treat GT7 like a GaaS like GTS was. Release tracks and cars for free, maybe do expansion packs of single player content.

I just don't think they'll be able to have a good enough jump in graphics for a gt8 on the same console.

People might be surprised how much content there is in gts currently. It's more than doubled since launch.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I wonder if they are going to try and get VR in most of the modes this time around but the ps5 event yesterday didn't really touch on VR.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I came in first in both the nations cup and manufacturers series FIA races today, first time ever winning 2 FIA races in the same day, also my first time winning a manufacturers series event. Got em both on my first try. :feelsgood:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nicely done Jovial!

Also we have a comparison screen between GT Sport and GT7

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Jovial Cow posted:

I came in first in both the nations cup and manufacturers series FIA races today, first time ever winning 2 FIA races in the same day, also my first time winning a manufacturers series event. Got em both on my first try. :feelsgood:

I got absolutely demolished in the manufacturers. Interlagos is not kind to BMW, in fact I got the "Fastest BMW" award and I came in last.
Also the race was full of scumbag bumpy boys in the back, so I fought back. gently caress'em.

harperdc posted:

Nicely done Jovial!

Also we have a comparison screen between GT Sport and GT7

Dang, much more dynamic lighting but blown out a tad.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

DevCore posted:

I got absolutely demolished in the manufacturers. Interlagos is not kind to BMW, in fact I got the "Fastest BMW" award and I came in last.
Also the race was full of scumbag bumpy boys in the back, so I fought back. gently caress'em.

Dang, much more dynamic lighting but blown out a tad.

I don't know if the BoP was favorable to BMW or what but I've been much more competitive since the 1.60 patch. Anyway here is your weekly PSA that although GT7 may have the fancy ray tracing GT Sport is still a drat good looking game courtesy of my Manufacturers Series FIA race:

Check your mirrors:

Pass for the lead:

Down the straight we go:

Leading that train:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Got another Manufacturers Series first place. This one was memorable because I'm at the point now where the competition is so good that strategy and fuel saving was probably the reason I won this race. I think that's the first time I can say that in my GT Sport online experience, pretty neat. Qualied 4th with less than a couple tenths separating first from me. Third place kindly spun out right in the beginning and I rather quickly realized I probably wasn't going to be pulling away from anyone so I started to just hang out in the slip stream and short shift where I could. I think all three of us in the top 3 held each one of the top 3 positions over the course of the race. Then in the third to last lap I went for the undercut and pitted without having to refuel at all, the fresh set of tires and short pit window almost certainly won me the race.

Got video of the action below, for whatever reason my PS4 would only record so far back so you miss the very very start and it picks up mid T1 of lap one. The undercut action happens at the end of lap 15, ~22:50 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoIRfP5Z7w

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 18, 2020

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Very good racing!

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Does anyone know how many weeks are in the Nations Cup/Manufacturer series? In game it looks like the calendar is 30 weeks long but on the website it appears to only be 20.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Jovial Cow posted:

Does anyone know how many weeks are in the Nations Cup/Manufacturer series? In game it looks like the calendar is 30 weeks long but on the website it appears to only be 20.

I honestly couldn't tell you, it's been all over the place since they did some kind of calendar restart a few weeks ago.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jovial Cow posted:

I should have been 40 rounds but the original Stage 1 got thrown out so there's 30 rounds total for the new "official" season.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/fia_championships/2020/

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

RillAkBea posted:

I should have been 40 rounds but the original Stage 1 got thrown out so there's 30 rounds total for the new "official" season.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/fia_championships/2020/

Ah got it, looks like they just released the stage 3 calendar as well. Thanks for this.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Does anyone know if the cars are fueled differently between free practice and Quali? For last nights Manufacturers series race on Sardegna I managed to put down a 1.24.8XX lap time in free practice which was less than a second off the top 10 free practice time, but then when I got into the actual quali sessions I could only manage like mid 1.25.5XXs, I swear the car felt different and my braking points were different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I think practice the cars are fueled lightly and with no fuel loss, like when you set a lap in the normal daily races. However, in qualifying you start with a full tank of fuel. It used to be that every FIA race started with a lap of everyone driving around revving out at 3rd gear to burn off as much fuel as possible before doing their flying lap but they said they were trying to stop that from happening. Not sure if they’ve taken any action on that yet.