Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Johnny Truant posted:

I learn something new every day. Starbound was Chucklefish 100%, as well?

For some WarGroove content: gently caress any mission where you start with a finite number of units. I think I'm on the last mission 6-3? and like five turns in I just noped out of there cause I knew there was noooooooooo way to make up for my loss of units.

Yes. Starbound and Wargroove are both Chucklefish, the only thing they did on Stardew is fund/maybe-develop-I-forget the multiplayer and localization.

also yea for those campaign missions it's all about rubbing mercia into everything, you ought to be able to heal every two or three turns. I did just say gently caress it on the Emric duel one tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yes. Starbound and Wargroove are both Chucklefish, the only thing they did on Stardew is fund/maybe-develop-I-forget the multiplayer and localization.

also yea for those campaign missions it's all about rubbing mercia into everything, you ought to be able to heal every two or three turns. I did just say gently caress it on the Emric duel one tho

:discourse: I retract my statement about Chucklefish.

But yeah I realized I should've been pushing with her way too late, as well as the fact that they only give you enough money for 3(I think) heals from the mages.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Truant posted:

For some WarGroove content: gently caress any mission where you start with a finite number of units. I think I'm on the last mission 6-3? and like five turns in I just noped out of there cause I knew there was noooooooooo way to make up for my loss of units.

I felt the same in warcraft and starcraft. And it holds true here too.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I kind of wish there was a bit more of a focus on multiplayer lobbies. Not really sure why they can't just have a list of open games to join rather than being forced to use codes.

I also wish there was some way to set an actual turn timer. Even just a 1 day timer would be great. I have so many games just stopped because someone decided they don't want to play anymore but didn't at least quit the game first.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
chugging through the big 6-1 map right now- loooot of stuff to manage but I feel like I can eventually just choke out their income

still kinda getting the hang of naval battle stuff- the fact that amphibious units can just own the hell out of the harpoon ships seems weird

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So what the hell is with the two seperate endings for the epilogue mission. They don't seem appreciably different even when they absolutely should be.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Some anti spear strats:

https://v.redd.it/tf8pk9gq71i21

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mission 6-3: I love getting Valder down to ~20% health then immediately realizing I placed Mercia right next to him... with the same amount of health. gently caress me, there goes that attempt! :smith:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Fedule posted:

Have Mercia do the pushing and everyone else play defensively and don't let units die if you can help it; use her Groove to keep everybody topped off. Your rangers and knights are the most valuable units to keep alive long term because they will be the most help pushing on the boss, but everyone adds something. Use mage healing in a pinch but remember you only get so many. Push quickly because Valder won't stop raising skeletons.
I'm not sure how much it helped Johnny Truant, but thanks for the tips, just beat it myself with a B. Before that 6-2 was a lot of fun for me, got a real Great Sea Battle vibe from it.

Also, post 6-3 spoilers, even if it's not the most shocking twist I do like how Valder is not a bad person - heck, by Felheim's standards, he's probably the nicest leader they've ever had!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 23, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
6-2 was one of the more enjoyable campaign missions for me, but only because pushing the NW port isn't actually super important, because the extreme coverage on naval units does make it really obnoxious to try to push.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Slowly plinking away at this game. 3-2 was annoying where you have to talk to the ghost. And now I'm finally on 3-3 and just wtf is this. So much poo poo going on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Picked this up again and played some arcade. I was really enjoying it until I got to a pure naval mission at which point I was harshly reminded about how loving garbage a game with only 4 units is.

I still do not understand what the game expects you to do in naval combat. Movement range is far too high, weapon range is far too high and every single turn takes goddamn ages because you have to spend the best part of 10 minutes checking enemy ranges from half the map away.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Also, post 6-3 spoilers, even if it's not the most shocking twist I do like how Valder is not a bad person - heck, by Felheim's standards, he's probably the nicest leader they've ever had!
You should try playing Valder's arcade mode if you haven't already.

Still not sure how Valder was supposed to have been "manipulated" into invading, though. Did he assume the king's "mysterious death at the hands of a vampire" was falsified and attacked preemptively? Did he believe the story, but figure that there was too much ill will for diplomacy? Did he have no intel on Cherrystone at all other than that they were rallying their military? He didn't seem to need much of an excuse.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doopliss posted:

You should try playing Valder's arcade mode if you haven't already.

Still not sure how Valder was supposed to have been "manipulated" into invading, though. Did he assume the king's "mysterious death at the hands of a vampire" was falsified and attacked preemptively? Did he believe the story, but figure that there was too much ill will for diplomacy? Did he have no intel on Cherrystone at all other than that they were rallying their military? He didn't seem to need much of an excuse.
Just finished it, as it happens! Very fitting for his character. And yeah, I was wondering about that, bit of a plot hole really... although it does say that it's been a very uneasy peace between Felheim and the rest of the world, given than Valder's reign seems to be the first time in history that having Felheim as a neighbour hasn't been a total nightmare and everyone's just really wary of each other. So maybe it didn't take much at all to set everything off.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Epilogue beaten.

Phew. Nearly thought I'd lost that, got off a healing aura just in time. All I had left at the end were Mercia, two archers and a spearman. Good times though, some intense battling even if the Epilogue lulls you into a false sense of security at first.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone find any custom content worth playing?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Nephzinho posted:

Puppy Bowl.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nephzinho posted:

Sigrid says a cuss

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Beat 6-3- highlights how to use commanders to soak up some attention/damage while setting up all your other units. Keep feeding Mercia weak units to charge up her groove so you don't die.

Now to go back and do that second-to-last Caesar mission where you have to go across the whoooole map without any barracks to restock.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Beat 6-3- highlights how to use commanders to soak up some attention/damage while setting up all your other units. Keep feeding Mercia weak units to charge up her groove so you don't die.

Now to go back and do that second-to-last Caesar mission where you have to go across the whoooole map without any barracks to restock.
Mage healing is vital on that Caesar mission (since he isn't Mercia), so grabbing those first few properties quickly to fund your mages (not to mention getting extra units) is crucial, as is using that healing efficiently. But if you get it right then that mission turns into a hilarious steamroller.

Mages having healing really changes the dynamic of predeployed maps, it's interesting.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
https://twitter.com/WargrooveGame/status/1093193959554408450?s=20

The updated effective/vulnerable chart looks real good!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://wargroove.com/qol-1-2-0-patch-out-tomorrow/

Bigass patch, coming in hot. It's got the redesigned unit matrix, confirm end turn, in-mission checkpoints, difficulty options, and basically everything else I've seen wanted in this thread.

Also, Nuru now pays double for teleported units, Ryota can dash through his own units, and apparently something was wrong with Tenri's charge rate which is now fixed.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
arrrrggh the last mission suuuuucks

I keep dying in different ways as I figure out how the AI is going to gently caress me using my own Grooves/position commanders in a bad way so they get surrounded and ganked

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So how long until someone mods the game to turn it into exactly Advance Wars 2?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While it's objectively better for the competitive scene to nerf Nuru, I'm selfishly salty it had to happen while I'm still stuck on 4-1.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bad Seafood posted:

While it's objectively better for the competitive scene to nerf Nuru, I'm selfishly salty it had to happen while I'm still stuck on 4-1.

Oh no. I definitely beat that level by crit spawning a catapult.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fedule posted:

https://wargroove.com/qol-1-2-0-patch-out-tomorrow/

Bigass patch, coming in hot. It's got the redesigned unit matrix, confirm end turn, in-mission checkpoints, difficulty options, and basically everything else I've seen wanted in this thread.

Also, Nuru now pays double for teleported units, Ryota can dash through his own units, and apparently something was wrong with Tenri's charge rate which is now fixed.

Oh, thank Christ. Looking forward to picking this back up tomorrow, in that case!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Tenri's charge was listed as Slow but charged Fast was the issue by the way.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
that's a pretty big nuru nerf

just having it not move immediately after probably would've been okay

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bad Seafood posted:

I have to say, I loved that mission. Doubled costs for Nuru's groove is going to make it feel weird if I ever replay it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Very happy with the new difficulty settings that the patch implemented, they finally made me pick up this game again and progress through the story.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Wargroove got a very big name to promote it today

https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/status/1111275694913454080?s=19

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just purchased this game a few days ago and have only had the chance to play it a little bit. I also just discovered this thread, and I'm said to see it so dead even though the game hasn't been out two months yet. I was hoping that the focus on custom content would add enthusiasm.

Speaking of custom content... I have not yet unlocked Puzzle Mode and Arcade mode, but I was wondering where user-created single maps are kept. I went online for a moment and downloaded both a custom campaign and a custom map that each had good peer reviews. The custom campaign was immediately available under Campaign Mode, but I'm not sure where the one-off map went. I presume that it will be available when I unlock Arcade mode, but I wanted to ask. I was a big fan in AW games of simply selecting a battle map and getting stuck in against the AI, and I'm hoping that the custom content in this game gives me a comparable experience.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it’s mainly because the game has glaring balance and design issues. The Commanders being the only difference between armies, and their Grooves being the only thing that actually differentiates them, also likely leads games to feeling very same-y.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

"None shall fall while I still stand!"

https://youtu.be/rP2bNIrTtlY

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So who's still playing? I plan to put time into it on my flight on monday.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Deviant posted:

So who's still playing? I plan to put time into it on my flight on monday.

I am, amongst other strategy games. I hate to say it, but the AI is really disappointing. I know that it's incredibly hard to program such a thing, but Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict was years ago and is at least competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Recent news from the developers regarding patches, including mod support from Steam's Mod Workshop. Plus, a preview of what's to come in v.2.0:

quote:

v2.0 ‘Major’ Update

BIG brand new content – full details to be revealed at a later date…
Lobby listings, so that players can find publicly hosted games
Unit balance adjustments to a number of units and Commanders
Quickplay map rotation – New maps will be chosen and weather will also be turned off in Quickplay mode.

Goon and streamer The Voice of Dog has been playing the Switch version of the game.