Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Did anyone listen all the way through the Spencer recap on RHAP? I checked out when the son of two addicts was talking about doing mushrooms and ayuhuasca and poo poo.

This post reads like a fever dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like that they're making the people on Elimination Island prove they want to be there by basically starving them, but it's still so far a huge dud and waste of time. Without some ludicrous immunity any returning player(s) will just get re-voted off super fast. Maybe it'd be a good idea for Survivor to spend its time with the rest of the cast who I haven't met at all yet?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

Did anyone listen all the way through the Spencer recap on RHAP? I checked out when the son of two addicts was talking about doing mushrooms and ayuhuasca and poo poo.
Pretty weird to hear the chess-playing finance dude start talking about psychedelics and meditation but maybe being zen now is helping his crippling depression. I say maybe because he was talking about breaking down and crying for days just this past week so seems like the jury is still out but he seemed positive.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

Wrong format although I appreciate his candour.
I endured until Spencer's father was on his deathbed from long term alcoholism.
That's not the kind of fun, informative Survivor analysis I want in the morning to pass time while driving to work.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 9, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

pumped up for school posted:

His mom is going to show up at the end, and it'll be the scene from The Last Crusade. "Your name is Clarence. Clarence Dan DaSilva"

He'll mumble-whine "mom, I told you to call me Wardog"

His mom will be the loved one and her name will he Huntress.

graventy posted:

I like that they're making the people on Elimination Island prove they want to be there by basically starving them, but it's still so far a huge dud and waste of time. Without some ludicrous immunity any returning player(s) will just get re-voted off super fast. Maybe it'd be a good idea for Survivor to spend its time with the rest of the cast who I haven't met at all yet?

If someone gets to come back into the game, they will be the goatiest goat to ever get dragged to the finals.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Probably a good idea for him to find an outlet in non addictive substances if he has a history of addiction in his family

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
E: nm

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, psychedelics are not physically addictive, so if he's gonna try some :okpos:, there's worse places he could go. They could be psychologically addictive, but so could, like, anything, so :shrug:. Dude's personal life sounds a bit of a poo poo show these days, so I don't begrudge him looking for peace in weird places given that he can't seem to find it anywhere else. I hope he finds some, because as fun as it was seeing him go ham on every social media platform known to man, it's a lot less fun when you know it's basically someone having a low-key public mental breakdown. Like you said, it's not exactly the Survivor podcast I was looking for, but it's the kind of thing I can listen to at 2x speed because I want to at least be exposed to it, even if I don't want to dwell on it.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Where did the producers get the idea that we needed another season of David?

Sometimes I wonder if they draw names form a hat

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You know, I like him best by far among the four. He actually seems to have gotten over his anxiety and he's doing a great job so far.

I do love the Young Lad, and that podcast sounds like a must-listen for all the wrong reasons. I hope he's okay.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

You know, I like him best by far among the four. He actually seems to have gotten over his anxiety and he's doing a great job so far.

:agreed:

I was worried about which David we'd get. If we got Day 1 David, then we were in for either an embarrassingly short stay or a total retread of his MvGX storyline. Fortunately, it seems like Day 1 David is well and truly gone, and Day 38 David is here to stay, beard and all, which is great. I'll take a sequel over a reboot pretty much any day.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."
I agree. Joe and Aubry getting a third time so soon after their last outings are what baffles me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Probst just has a crush on Joe's archetype and I think we all know that. Being said, I think maybe we'd all have preferred Malcolm after that Game Changers bullshit.

Aubry, I do not understand, at all.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
They’re just giving one of each archetype on these returners. The stud athlete guy, hot babe, nerdy girl and sleazy schemer guy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think this season was awful casting for her, but reducing Wentworth to "hot babe" is an awful misservice.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

I think this season was awful casting for her, but reducing Wentworth to "hot babe" is an awful misservice.

But that's why she was cast, probably -- the original rumor was 4 tribes, Jocks/Hot/Nerds/Outcasts

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I can't believe they voted out the hot guy this early. Especially after he won them the reward.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

curiousCat posted:

But that's why she was cast, probably -- the original rumor was 4 tribes, Jocks/Hot/Nerds/Outcasts

So, I buy that hook line and sinker.

What the actual crap though? That's almost as bad as Survivor: Race Wars.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You're going to have to spell out the difference between Nerds and Outcasts. Unless you can cast 6 Davies.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Yeah, but you can see it in the casting choices -- Joe, Kelley, Aubry, David (or swap the last two, I could see it either way)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

So, I buy that hook line and sinker.

What the actual crap though? That's almost as bad as Survivor: Race Wars.

wait til this idiot finds out about beauty/brains/brawn

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

You're going to have to spell out the difference between Nerds and Outcasts. Unless you can cast 6 Davies.

Well you got nerds like Christian and nerds like Cockring.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The lead-up to this tribal and setting this record is why Wentworth got cast again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6VhGylLcT8

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

curiousCat posted:

I'm sure if they were looking to cast a returnee just to fill some "hot babe" requirement, there would be quite a few castaways in front of that choice. She's obviously hot, but there's plenty hotter. She got cast again because she is a good Survivor and comes out to play the game. And knows how to play the game well enough to lay the gently caress low at the start of the season when she is one of 2 returnees on her tribe.

I also don't buy the jocks/hot/nerds/outcast rumor, would be just bazaar to do. And David and Aubry, neither one of them would fit the outcast spot. And even though he won a lot of challenges, I find it hard to believe they would cast someone like Joe to be a jock, when he'd also fit just as much in the hot tribe.

I could maybe buy that they were thinking of doing a BBB2 season though and decided to bring David along too and changed it up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

The lead-up to this tribal and setting this record is why Wentworth got cast again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6VhGylLcT8

the real power move in this clip is abi's "you made it to the jury"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Haven't we established awhile ago that they don't really cast for the themes but tend to just make the themes up after and force people into the categories? Obviously Wentworth wasn't cast JUST because they wanted a hot lady but it also stands to reason that when deciding which returnees to bring in they said "make sure you get a couple of hot people." It IS tv.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Well 'make sure you get hot people' is pretty representative of their entire casting strategy in general, especially for women. You don't see many unattractive women on Survivor, although I suppose you don't see very many unattractive women in entertainment and media in general...

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Wentworth always looks pissed off, lol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of feel like she's spent her entire Survivor existence kind of pissed off. I'm sure she's a perfectly pleasant person but like her introduction to us was her trying to manage her dad loving up her game by criticizing other parents' kids and then her big moment was basically everyone on the island throwing a vote at her.

I feel like she kind of came into this season with a chip on her shoulder, but I don't totally blame her.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Well 'make sure you get hot people' is pretty representative of their entire casting strategy in general, especially for women. You don't see many unattractive women on Survivor, although I suppose you don't see very many unattractive women in entertainment and media in general...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well I guess I could buy that they were planning to do 20 castaways and 4 tribes to start this season with the 4 returnees. Since they had the one guy from season 37 that was originally going to be on this season, but something happened and they pulled him to go out for season 37 instead...

But I don't buy the rumored tribe theme as it's pretty stupid, even for CBS and Survivor.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
They split the tribes up by races once.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I'm sure she's a perfectly pleasant person
Counterpoint: That Secret Scene of her and Wardog laughing their asses off at the young woman with a visibly bruised ankle

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I met Wentworth totally randomly when she was shipping some stuff somewhere and came into my store.
It didn't even register at first when I was typing Kelley Wentworth into the computer for the return address.
This would have been after her second stint on the island when her character was memorable unlike the first time.

She's attractive but really no different than any other California blonde in their 20s.
Dime a dozen really.
I think she was flattered that I recognized her but she wasn't going out of her way to advertise she was on a tv show like Johnny Fairplay would likely do.
She was very nice though but then again she wasn't in competition mode for a million dollars which is the character we're seeing now.

She is playing as if she's entitled this time though and that's not a good look.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Finally caught the most recent episode. Chris was really dumb and deserved to go home. I suspect he's going to get back in and make life difficult for the people who blindsided him. David has been doing decently well playing both sides, but he's going to out himself (if he hasn't already) with more cryptic comments at tribal. Aside from TC, the edit has been making it kind of hard to gauge how much suspicion he's been arousing amongst Wentworth/Lauren/Wardog.

I'm a little torn about his decision to not vote out Wentworth. I guess his thought is to stay on good terms with as many Manus as possible before the impending tribeswap, which is somewhat defensible, but there also would have been logic behind banking on the Manus being forced to stick together after the tribeswap regardless of who got voted out.

Rick/Devin (what's the deal with that name confusion anyway?) looks like a really savvy player, and I think he'll benefit strongly from being paired with David, who is going to catch most of the heat between the two of them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Counterpoint: That Secret Scene of her and Wardog laughing their asses off at the young woman with a visibly bruised ankle

I mean, I definitely think that was a lovely, rear end in a top hat, bullying thing and I've said I think Wentworth is playing with an attitude/chip and headed towards a villainous downfall.

I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt that its stress and the game bringing out the worst in people because like, whatever. Its comforting to think people are basically decent when it doesn't cost anything to give them the benefit of the doubt and she seemed perfectly decent the first two times and whatever, I was trying to make a point that I wasn't saying she's a misanthrope or anything.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
What the gently caress is with all this "I mean she's hot but she's not all that hot" bullshit going on? Who gives a gently caress how hot she is, that's not what this is about.

Also, of course she's gorgeous don't be stupid. This is television everyone looks above average at worst.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Finally got the chance to watch this episode. Wendy is single-handedly saving this season.

SweetJahasus posted:

What the gently caress is with all this "I mean she's hot but she's not all that hot" bullshit going on? Who gives a gently caress how hot she is, that's not what this is about.

It’s just so ingrained in society that one of the roles that all women share, on top of everything else, is to be attractive.

How’s her game, also is she hot enough for you, personally?

It’s not even the first time misogynistic language has come up in this thread.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yea, it’s really offputting

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty posted:

It’s not even the first time misogynistic language has come up in this thread.

yeah and it should be mocked every time, that poo poo is not needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I like the pretty girl.