Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Planet's dyin', Cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the moon is blood red

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Environmental politics are hard to hit with the general public except when the sky burns and you suffocate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Imagine if the election was on a weekend like the last one or this one.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I wanna burn the sky, I wanna burn the breeze
I wanna see the animals die in the trees

Oh let's go, let's go it's only four degrees

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Imagine if the election was on a weekend like the last one or this one.
”Laybah will take my franking credits, I need that extra money to avoid all this smoke”

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Blame Labah the greens

https://twitter.com/naamanzhou/status/1202762155017158656/photo/1

Ah yes, the greens who voted with the liberal party, ya know, the one you were leader of for a couple of years.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad it wasn't just me

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The off duty pig who filmed himself stoning a wombat to death was found to have done nothing wrong by an internal investigation and has received no punishment

quote:

Outcome of SAPOL internal investigation

The following is a statement from the Commissioner of Police, Grant Stevens:

Back in early October this year a video was published across a number of social media sites which depicted a man running along a dirt road in front of a vehicle in rural South Australia throwing rocks at a wombat.

The person throwing the rocks was an off duty Senior Community Constable of the South Australia Police. The incident occurred at Gawler Ranges, east of Ceduna.

Within a very short period of time, the footage had been seen by many people across Australia and overseas and it garnered a large number of responses across many social media platforms and internet websites. South Australia Police received an unprecedented number of telephone calls, emails and social media comments demanding a response to this issue. The video is confronting for many people, I found it confronting. I stand by my reaction to the treatment of the wombat.

I still find some of the content of the video disturbing – I take personal displeasure in seeing any animal distressed, or being killed as the wombat was killed. I know many shared in my shock and dismay. I gave a public undertaking there would be a robust and thorough investigation, and that I would provide advice regarding the outcome of that investigation.

As a result a criminal investigation ran in parallel to an internal disciplinary investigation into the actions of the Senior Community Constable as portrayed in the video. I asked investigators to bring together all available information to assess if criminal charges should be laid.

The officer concerned was interviewed; evidence was also collected from other witnesses from South Australian government agencies and animal welfare bodies. Investigations are now complete.

Care was taken to appropriately assess all information obtained to address the overwhelming community concern and to ensure fairness to the officer concerned.

The investigators have ascertained that as a traditional Aboriginal man, the Senior Community Constable has an appropriate permit to hunt wombats for food. Whilst distressing to many who viewed the video, it has been established the Senior Community Constable’s actions were not inconsistent with traditional hunting practices.

I have been advised that the wombat in the video was killed and eaten. The video shown on social media was part of a longer video that has not been released.

An investigation file containing all available evidence was provided to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. It is not unusual for SAPOL to seek the Director’s opinion prior to the laying of criminal charges. It was particularly important to do so in this case due to the complexity of issues surrounding indigenous hunting activities as permitted under legislation.

Legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions was returned to South Australia Police on 5 December. It has been established by the Director that if charges were to be laid, there would be no reasonable prospect of a conviction for any criminal offence.

With regards to the internal investigation, in accordance with the Police Complaints and Discipline Act the Senior Community Constable has been provided managerial advice and counselling regarding the implications of social media, particularly given the responsibilities of his office as a serving member of South Australia Police.

This matter has now been finalised and is complete.

It is clear from the outpouring of emotions that some may question the outcome of this investigation. I can reassure everyone that the most thorough of investigations has been undertaken in this matter.

The Senior Community Constable is well regarded and respected by his colleagues, peers, supervisors, managers and the local community in which he serves. I have confidence in his abilities to perform his current role as a Community Constable.

I ask people to show respect for the process undertaken and accept my assurances it has been a robust investigation. I ask they show respect for those involved in the incident.

In practice disciplinary investigations and outcomes should remain confidential and not publicly disclosed. However given intense interest, and to ensure the public has confidence in the rigour of investigation and the independent assessment of the facts, I have agreed to the release of this information.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Knobb Manwich posted:

How will that help your posting career?
i rely on this place as a moderately reliable leftwing think tank, so will try to reciprocate when i can. you can't stop leaks when you're dealing with a river

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The off duty pig who filmed himself stoning a wombat to death was found to have done nothing wrong by an internal investigation and has received no punishment

Did we expect anything different really?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

fauna posted:

i rely on this place as a moderately reliable leftwing think tank, so will try to reciprocate when i can. you can't stop leaks when you're dealing with a river

Look at this optimist who thinks we’ll still have rivers :ohdear:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stevefin posted:

Well it was a wombat and not an indigenous person.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Stevefin posted:

I’m surprised they bothered to stick up for an indigenous cop instead of making an example out of him to demonstrate how robust their process is

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Laserface posted:

Lol if you think this. He's going to win two more elections and then maybe retire and no one will care about the photo or even remember it happened.

People still do not believe climate change is man made, why would that change any time in the future?

Saying climate change being "man made" is the ultimate expression of hubris. It's ridiculous.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i know you all hate old person twitter but the angry old ladies are making #koalakiller happen and i love it

https://twitter.com/deniseshrivell/status/1202836577887506432

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

https://twitter.com/OLook_AnEagle/status/1202827289072824320

#gladyskilledlewis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fauna posted:

i know you all hate old person twitter but the angry old ladies are making #koalakiller happen and i love it

https://twitter.com/deniseshrivell/status/1202836577887506432

I hope the cops fondled those children to learn them respect

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

JBP posted:

I hope the cops fondled those children to learn them respect
i was about to quote this post and just say "yikes", but then i stopped, because i honestly don't know if a cops-molesting-kids joke even counts as yikes material nowadays, with reality in the state that it is in - that is, cops molest kids constantly, in public, they boast about how brave they are for molesting kids to save them from themselves, and not only does nobody seem to care but politicians give statements that they support the cops molesting kids, they love the cops molesting kids, they want the cops to molest as many kids as they possibly can and in fact they wish the cops would molest their kids

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This is pretty gross IMO: the AFP press release regarding the new armed cops at airports explicitly identifies the manufacturer of the magical weapons that the cops will be using, basically just like an advertisement:

https://www.afp.gov.au/news-media/media-releases/short-barrelled-rifles-roll-out-designated-australian-airports posted:

The PORT members will be equipped with the Daniel Defense Mk 18 SBRs as well as body worn cameras. The SBRs provide a greater strategic scope and accuracy over distance. This capability will allow officers to respond from a greater distance and when combined with rapidly evolving situations, will provide an additional layer of support for first responders.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fauna posted:

i was about to quote this post and just say "yikes", but then i stopped, because i honestly don't know if a cops-molesting-kids joke even counts as yikes material nowadays, with reality in the state that it is in - that is, cops molest kids constantly, in public, they boast about how brave they are for molesting kids to save them from themselves, and not only does nobody seem to care but politicians give statements that they support the cops molesting kids, they love the cops molesting kids, they want the cops to molest as many kids as they possibly can and in fact they wish the cops would molest their kids

Yeah sorry I was trying to shock and appal. I should have said that I hope they followed NSW police standard procedures with those children.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

JBP posted:

Yeah sorry I was trying to shock and appal. I should have said that I hope they followed NSW police standard procedures with those children.
much better wording, well done

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

it really would be better for everyone if nsw was just burned off the map

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

you had your chance to move to glorious victoria but you blew it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

+1

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh look this opinion again.

But more benign than Solem Sloths bullshit.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We all failed to elect Bill.

Oh how we failed him.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

we couldn't afford bill, remember?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

We all failed to elect Bill.

Oh how we failed him.

Bill was a poor nominee with the charisma of a tapeworm that can only claim inspiration via "inspired people to not be Bill Shorten".

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

thank you freaking news for an appropriate scare picture

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh wait, that freaking news website is just. wow.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lid posted:

Bill was a poor nominee with the charisma of a tapeworm that can only claim inspiration via "inspired people to not be Bill Shorten".

i dont know. was it really a case of personality with man boobs bill?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lid posted:

The bill shorten people thought they knew was a fabrication of the Australian media.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

The bill shorten people thought they knew was a fabrication of the Australian media.

It literally wasn't.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
How long have we been calling cops 'first responders'? I thought it was an American thing, after the world trade centre attack

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hi lid

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lid posted:

It literally wasn't.

Come on man. I know we are all still bitter but I watched Bill all the way from birth to death.

He was not that bad and in the final years and months. And honestly the policy he helped develop far outgrew personality politics but Australia isn't ready for that kind of thinking.

I was, you were and we will be again.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

^^^^only the completely misguided failed to give Billiam a chance

(So most of Australia obviously)

Pile Of Garbage posted:

This is pretty gross IMO: the AFP press release regarding the new armed cops at airports explicitly identifies the manufacturer of the magical weapons that the cops will be using, basically just like an advertisement:

What are you talking about, it's just the AFP fulfilling their obligation to DANIEL DEFENSE as their official AR-platform partner, get a loving grip

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 6, 2019

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bandaid.friend posted:

How long have we been calling cops 'first responders'? I thought it was an American thing, after the world trade centre attack

I thought it was a catch-all for firies, ambos and police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lilbeefer posted:

What are you talking about, it's just the AFP fulfilling their obligation to DANIEL DEFENSE as their official AR-platform partner, get a loving grip

FEDERAL POLICE BROUGHT TO YOU BY DANIEL DEFENSE! barks the officer to fulfil his contractual obligation and unlock free-fire on dissident climate protestors.