Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

minato posted:

It also abstracts away the underlying $cloud (also for the benefit of ops of release teams). It's not uncommon to use (say) AWS for public-facing workloads and some internal vSphere or RHV setup for more secure workloads. Having the same k8s interface for both is nice for the release/ops teams.

yeah, definitely this too. also you can shift teams to / from different types of underlying machines (eg moving to or from VMs) with much less hassle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
The whole "Hybrid Cloud" concept is a bit of a hype train, but it will be interesting if it becomes a reality. In the same way that most people don't care much about the brand of HW they run their Linux on, k8s makes it so you don't need to care what cloud you run on.

But cloud providers really don't want this; they'd prefer you lock into their cloud. So to differentiate themselves, they'll have to provide better/cheaper service, reliability, unique features, etc. It seems good for the consumer.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

minato posted:

The whole "Hybrid Cloud" concept is a bit of a hype train, but it will be interesting if it becomes a reality. In the same way that most people don't care much about the brand of HW they run their Linux on, k8s makes it so you don't need to care what cloud you run on.

But cloud providers really don't want this; they'd prefer you lock into their cloud. So to differentiate themselves, they'll have to provide better/cheaper service, reliability, unique features, etc. It seems good for the consumer.

"You don't care what cloud you run on " doesn't work for anything beyond a toy workload. If you actually want your stuff to be performant and not burn money you need to architect it to towards the norms of the platform you are on. Trying to use something like AWS or GCP and not using their services for the stateful bits will lead to sadness.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

k8s is great for sticking stateless containers in, but it's not going to help with the differences between kinesis MSK and pubsub. Or big query and redshift

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

minato posted:

That's "Multi-cloud."

"Hybrid-cloud" is using a public cloud like AWS for parts of your infrastructure that you need to scale rapidly, like internet ingress/egress or public facing load-balancing, and having your base-load services running in your own data-centers on your own servers.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's "Multi-cloud."

"Hybrid-cloud" is using a public cloud like AWS for parts of your infrastructure that you need to scale rapidly, like internet ingress/egress or public facing load-balancing, and having your base-load services running in your own data-centers on your own servers.

truth

in fact, most existing deployments are hybrid cloud, mostly due to legacy systems or regulatory requirements.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah not many companies/orgs of anything beyond toy size can just go all in in cloud and shift everything even if they wanted to

literally all of my customers in nz central government use hybrid cloud via various means

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

all these posters from 2016 talking hybrid cloud
tell me about ur openstack and hadoop

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the closest i ever got to hybrid cloud was the Enterprise company that globally managed VPC CIDR blocks because something something direct connect, even for teams that would never, ever be peering with the legacy DCs. nope, we were still required to put in an application and get approval for every measly /24. one time we made a special appeal with justifications for getting a /20 (the biggest contiguous subnet you could get), and the review board gave us a /21 instead

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
multi-cloud falls apart when you start talking about ingress/egress pricing

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
so does hybrid but wouldn't you know here comes your TAM with a datasheet on outposts

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

minato posted:

k8s poo poo is like 60% dealing with the weird idiosyncrasies of the different providers and places where the k8s spec doesn't fill in all the details

it does a good job of providing a standard language for managing and interacting with container fleets, but the stock infrastructure glue is only the bare minimum

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

kitten emergency posted:

so does hybrid but wouldn't you know here comes your TAM with a datasheet on outposts

Hell "cloud" in general doesn't make financial sense for any company with significant internet egress/ingress. Of course if the plans of the executives are just to cash out, then it makes a lot more sense.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
I suspect most organizations doing multi-cloud deployments at scale aren't paying list for ingress/egress traffic.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the cloud is for companies with more money than sense

e: and companies with neither and a CTO who's seen too many seminars about opex vs capex

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
well i'm not settling for less than a million% growth in the first year so i need make my app cloud native from the start

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

tortilla_chip posted:

I suspect most organizations doing multi-cloud deployments at scale aren't paying list for ingress/egress traffic.

confirm that deals are often cut, yes

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

tortilla_chip posted:

They may be able to get a good deal comparable to getting DIA etc from a traditional carrier, but they will still pay for inter-AZ data-transfer costs and storage. My company has a massive presence in AWS and our datatransfer costs are >50% of our total AWS costs and lol datatransfer alone is almost equal to our monthly spend for our physical DCs.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Kazinsal posted:

the cloud is for companies with more money than sense

e: and companies with neither and a CTO who's seen too many seminars about opex vs capex

The cloud is for companies who have elastic workloads, and might need to double or triple their capacity at certain times of year

Also if you are a large customer and still finding AWS/GCP/Azure insanely expensive the person doing the negotiation for your company is not very good at their job.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can often find interesting deals when you voltron a couple partnered providers together too. Like if you use Azure backends for your website, and use Fastly for CDN, you don't pay Azure anything for egress traffic. we worked out a deal there

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My company has a massive presence in AWS and our datatransfer costs are >50% of our total AWS costs and lol datatransfer alone is almost equal to our monthly spend for our physical DCs.

I think this really depends on your workload, right? I just finished working at an adtech spot with a large (idk what i'm allowed to say exactly but as the primary aws implementation rear end in a top hat i saw all the bills) aws presence and data transfer was in the 10-25% of total spend per region. Most of it was compute since as a DSP we had a shitload of free ingress traffic with comparatively rather small response traffic.

The numbers crunch just fine in that scenario, and while it is still cheaper to host it yourself, adtech is all about following that demand curve as profitably as possible so the elasticity usually ends up being a huge win

The biggest issue we had was when someone spun up a huge kafka cluster across 6 AZs which started incurring geometrically increasing transfer fees as the brokers started doing replication poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

12 rats tied together posted:

The biggest issue we had was when someone spun up a huge kafka cluster across 6 AZs which started incurring geometrically increasing transfer fees as the brokers started doing replication poo poo

haha yeeeeeeep

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the cloud is good, Netflix runs in AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/netflix-case-study/

but all the actual video streaming is done from their own hardware caches/network because lol @ paying AWS internet egress charges: https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lomarf

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
are CDN egress charges for file download still nuts? last time I looked at it was around the time that Blizzard got so tired of paying for them that they put a torrent tracker and client into the WoW patch system

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

s3 has native support for bittorrent

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kazinsal posted:

are CDN egress charges for file download still nuts? last time I looked at it was around the time that Blizzard got so tired of paying for them that they put a torrent tracker and client into the WoW patch system

afaik, for static payloads a CDN is one the cheapest ways to host anything that will be burst downloaded by hundreds of thousands or millions of people in a short amount of time. Definitely a change from 10years ago WoW updates.

I think this really depends on your workload, right? I just finished working at an adtech spot with a large (idk what i'm allowed to say exactly but as the primary aws implementation rear end in a top hat i saw all the bills) aws presence and data transfer was in the 10-25% of total spend per region. Most of it was compute since as a DSP we had a shitload of free ingress traffic with comparatively rather small response traffic.

The numbers crunch just fine in that scenario, and while it is still cheaper to host it yourself, adtech is all about following that demand curve as profitably as possible so the elasticity usually ends up being a huge win

Yea our data transfer costs aren't from internet egress, but from inter-region S3 writes/reads, cross AZ and cross account transfers (prod->dev and customers), and direct-connect costs. We ingest a ton of data into AWS from our customers but that part is free.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

minato posted:

the value of the words 'hybrid cloud' depends on who it's come from - if its coming from traditional tin vendors like Dell or Vmware then its them trying to stay relevant and talking stupid poo poo about how the cloud is fine for dev test but not production. if it's coming from actual companies that have found value in it then it's more useful.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just want everyone here to know im pissed off at ubuiquity

we have a cloud key and access point

i wanted to change a setting

and boy managing to access the cloud key is a bitch.

unifi app on phone.. cant see poo poo. yes i am logged in as the owner of the clouyd key
unifi portal
says cant find controller

cant believe i had to use some discovery app to find the cloud key to give me a bespoke ip:port just to get on

once its going its good but drat. wat a bitch

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

clown key

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin ayep

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i just want everyone here to know im pissed off at ubuiquity

we have a cloud key and access point

i wanted to change a setting

and boy managing to access the cloud key is a bitch.

unifi app on phone.. cant see poo poo. yes i am logged in as the owner of the clouyd key
unifi portal
says cant find controller

cant believe i had to use some discovery app to find the cloud key to give me a bespoke ip:port just to get on

once its going its good but drat. wat a bitch

it’s actually easy and good, sorry about your lack of skill

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
not being able to figure out how to log in is one of the weirdest and weakest reasons to hate on ubnt tho tbqh

try logging into unifi.ui.com that's the current portal that shows all your stuff if you're upgraded to hte latest firmware

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i just have unifi.home pointed to the IP of my cloud key directly and use that without the Cloud management poo poo. but the cloud is the easiest and default way.

just go to the IP of the cloud key itself if for some reason unifi.ui.com doesnt work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

not being able to figure out how to log in is one of the weirdest and weakest reasons to hate on ubnt tho tbqh

idk.. logging on is kind of important.

the lack of feedback from the software is terrible

yeah that’s what I want to see when logged onto the wifi network looking for the cloud key which is on the same network

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

idk.. logging on is kind of important.

the lack of feedback from the software is terrible

yeah that’s what I want to see when logged onto the wifi network looking for the cloud key which is on the same network

try a laptop that's known on the same network?

I've never used a phone to try and configure any of my UI stuff. It works once its all set up tho

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
like literally i just tried to go setup my stuff thru my phone and it ended up redirecting me to unifi.ui.com on the phone itself. if you wanna deal with that it should work? but a laptop is gonna be easier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk why i had so much trouble?

i like the gear. it had been over a year since i last set anything up and it’s worked flawlessly since then, that’s pretty drat good

i had no luck by going to the url you mentioned either. i had to use the discovery software I had previously installed to get the ip:port

just seemed pretty cryptic really

probably my fault. i mean you people know me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im mad that the unifi stuff wont pull traffic stats off edgemax stuff, like, i know they want you to live entirely in the unifi ecosystem but gently caress the unifi routers, i have an EdgeRouter 6P and there's nothing close to that in the unifi land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
same I have er-4 and I just want them to let me remove all the dead space in the UI