Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

There is a new gameboy micro (that also plays ps1 games)

https://youtu.be/kuXmCcR2arY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Man, I've wanted one of those since it was a one-off project on hackaday, but I just can't justify the price for something I would definitely lose in the washing machine

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

https://youtu.be/TGze7TNAqbM

This just popped up in my feed and might be a pretty good alternative to the super console X.

It looks like it’s $50 from AliExpress.

drat, it's also 175,578x as good-looking as most retro console emulator thingies...

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My 351V got here today. I'm excited to give it a shot and see how I like it compared to the 350M. The 350M has been a total dream for me as far as form factor and size go, but the 351 seems amazing so far. I might end up using the 350M for PS1 and using the 351V for GB/GBA stuff.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Started looking into this stuff after all the GBA chat in the Switch thread and...

MarcusSA posted:

There is a new gameboy micro (that also plays ps1 games)

https://youtu.be/kuXmCcR2arY
...seriously considered this. Like if it was a candybar layout so it was wider (like a micro GB Micro) I might've gone for it. I basically just wanted something pretty small and minimal (i.e. no analogs) but well specced, was debating a RG280V and some others for a while. Just something tiny and flat that I could carry around whenever.

Gave up for now and just found my old poo poo:

(look ma, three different charging ports!)

Tested the battery on one Micro so far and it's more than enough with a real cart. My old rear end flash cart seems to make it flash red pretty quick though, ordered a new one and will see how that does. Haven't run the SP down yet but played a bit...and the controls felt cramped :v:, in comparison the wider layout of the Micro does wonders for the feel. I did start to go blind while getting into long rear end games of Pokemon Pinball though.

The GBC emulator Goomba Color has been updated over the years, so looking forward to GBC games being playable now (going by some videos I saw). And there's an SMS emulator so technically it can be a third party retro console :colbert:. Guess I should get emulators on the n3DS too, although it's a bit bulky for my carry whenever use.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Man I'm jealous of those Micros, loved the form factor on them. I'd totally jump on the FunKey S (that hinge makes me drool) but a little while back I sprang for a Vita and swore to stop seeking out the PERFECT RETRO HANDHELD. Kinda funny I spent so much on the thing and I just keep going back to Aria of Sorrow

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am legit surprised how powerful that FunKey S is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

Man I'm jealous of those Micros, loved the form factor on them. I'd totally jump on the FunKey S (that hinge makes me drool) but a little while back I sprang for a Vita and swore to stop seeking out the PERFECT RETRO HANDHELD. Kinda funny I spent so much on the thing and I just keep going back to Aria of Sorrow
Haha yeah same. I still have all(? or most) of my GBA carts in a single bag, lots of solid stuff...but like 99% of my time will probably be in like, three games (specifically Guru Logi Champ, Wario Ware, Pokemon Pinball)*. Even looking at my old flash cart I just went straight to Rhythm Tengoku** cause that was like, the game I played on there. Was also curious how big an SD card I had, popped it out and it was a whopping...1GB.

*I didn't realize I never finished all the puzzles in Gurulogi! And have a crapload left on the Pinball Pokedex!
**Which apparently has a really well done English fan translation as "Rhythm Heaven Silver", and is widely available on repro carts for ~:10bux:. But I read the save functionality can be sketchy. Plus the translation is still semi recently on going after a multiyear hiatus, so no clue how behind those carts are. Which eventually led down a rabbit hole and eventually just ordering a new flash cart.

MarcusSA posted:

I am legit surprised how powerful that FunKey S is.
Seeing it do PS1 games is wild, it's tempting for the racers on there. Can it do N64 too? I see videos with Mario 64 but can't tell if they're emulating or just using a native port (using the leaked source code).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

That FunKey reminds me of the Pocket Sprite which also claims to be the smallest retro console:

https://pocketsprite.com/

I guess that's why FunKey says "smallest foldable"

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a real shame about the resolution on the pocketsprite. 96x64 seems like a poor way to represent 160x144 even at eye-squinting smallness. FunKey seems a lot nicer in being able to do GB/GBA 1:1

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Jeez: side by side gallery

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have to give Anbernic some credit, I placed my order on Thursday and my 351V is in my city to be delivered by Thursday.

I love my RP2 but I should have gotten something from the start with a D pad in a better position. I don’t play anything that needs the analogue stick and menu-heavy games like FF6 can be a pain with it.

Edit: now it’s on the truck for delivery today. It was in Hong Kong yesterday. That’s nuts.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm really liking the 351V so far. I was planning to just use it for GBA games (they look immaculate on it), but I think it might take over as my main device. The screen feels so big and nice, and it seems to do a great job with integer scaling. The only two things I'm not a huge fan of are that it seems to chew through battery (this is probably just a placebo effect of it using a % battery indicator instead of a graphical one), and overall Retroarch is nice for the dearth of options it provides but feels needlessly clunky for something like this.

If anyone has any luck getting Retroarch to recognize a .srm file from PocketSNES, let me know! I'd love to transfer over a save from SMRPG, but I can't get it to recognize the save file or save states.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The funkey has a ton of quality of life features that no other handheld has, but it's ultimately a novelty that you'll play for maybe an hour before putting it in a drawer and forgetting about it. It's tragic, really. Something like that should be a quick and dirty hack job with a price to match, it would get a lot more buyers

If they ever make a followup device at a more reasonable size and put that amount of love into it, it's going to be an all timer just based on the build quality alone

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
RG351V is officially here. Came 5 days after ordering from Anbernic + FedEx.

Don’t skip on the free “bag” they offer for it. It’s actually a very solid clamshell case that I will 100% use when I travel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rolo posted:

RG351V is officially here. Came 5 days after ordering from Anbernic + FedEx.

Don’t skip on the free “bag” they offer for it. It’s actually a very solid clamshell case that I will 100% use when I travel.

Yeah Anbernic offers some nice little cases for their systems, the one for my RG350 is about on par with the official cases that Nintendo offered for the NES & SNES Classics(much smaller though obviously)

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Anyone have any advice for getting yoshi's island running well on the the 351 series? With the default core I get maybe 45 fps and with the snes9x 2005 plus core I get 60fps but very strange horizontal line flickering at the top and bottom of the screen and in some of the backgrounds

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got my 351V all up and running at least as well as my Retroid Pocket 2 and I gotta say it took about 10% of the time and effort. If you have an extra SD card and USB reader you can be pretty well set before the console even arrives.

SchnorkIes posted:

Anyone have any advice for getting yoshi's island running well on the the 351 series? With the default core I get maybe 45 fps and with the snes9x 2005 plus core I get 60fps but very strange horizontal line flickering at the top and bottom of the screen and in some of the backgrounds

I’ll tinker with it and see, cause it’ll be something I want to play again.

As far as weird-ROM-ticks go, I’ve gotten FF6 SNES running well enough but once the intro and menu change to the playable bits I get thin black bars on all edges. Every core does this and no other games I’m testing mimic it. Did Final Fantasy 6 just always scale weird? It’s not game breaking at all, just seems weird, like the title is 4:3 and the rest of the game is 8:7 or something.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SchnorkIes posted:

play the gba version, it looks and runs better on the 351

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Weedle posted:

play the gba version, it looks and runs better on the 351

I'm on the V, so hopefully I can figure something out, but I'll do the GBA for now

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If I'm having ~maybe~ 10 people over to my house next month for my birthday/we're all vaccinated now party, and I wanted to give out as party favors one of those little tiny gameboy style ones that's maybe capable of Pokemon Red/Blue and GB Tetris, what's the cheapest halfway decent one? And by "halfway decent" I mean "capable of running the game" and "fun for an hour". My standards are low.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 24, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

If I'm having ~maybe~ 10 people over to my house next month for my birthday/we're all vaccinated now party, and I wanted to give out as party favors one of those little tiny gameboy style ones that's maybe capable of Pokemon Red/Blue and GB Tetris, what's the cheapest halfway decent one? And by "halfway decent" I mean "capable of running the game" and "fun for an hour". My standards are low.

Probably something like this

HAIHUANG Handheld Game Console,RG FC520 Retro Game Console Free with 520 Classic Games,Portable Game Console 3 Inch Screen Supports TV Output Good Present for Kids Boy (020) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08G1LXT83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HMVQH4YCHRJ9VJ2CTZXB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

$23.99

If you go on AliExpress I bet you can find them super cheap but shipping may not make it in time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

get them the chicken one

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Probably something like this

HAIHUANG Handheld Game Console,RG FC520 Retro Game Console Free with 520 Classic Games,Portable Game Console 3 Inch Screen Supports TV Output Good Present for Kids Boy (020) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08G1LXT83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HMVQH4YCHRJ9VJ2CTZXB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

$23.99

If you go on AliExpress I bet you can find them super cheap but shipping may not make it in time.

Hmm, the shipping does worry me. This one is a little more, and seems decentish, ships from the US. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb201603_

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I got a 351v, great screen. Is there any way to force gba games to start in 3:2 instead of having to change it every time I load up a new game?

Conkers Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye ran terrible, Mario Kart was pretty playable though. It seems to run psx pretty well, the only slowdown I saw was my character dying on Diablo 1.

Seems like a great system for everything up through the 16 bit consoles, psx, and gba. Pretty hit or miss on psp, n64, and ds.

I am working on my own roms now, finished up gba. Much nicer to have 100 roms of games I enjoy than 1000 not labeled great. There was like 10 different tetris roms for the nes and not one was the game anyone would want to play.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mem posted:

I got a 351v, great screen. Is there any way to force gba games to start in 3:2 instead of having to change it every time I load up a new game?

open the retroarch menu in a game, set your preferred settings, then look in the retroarch “quick menu” for “overrides” and select “save core override”

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Agrias120 posted:

If anyone has any luck getting Retroarch to recognize a .srm file from PocketSNES, let me know! I'd love to transfer over a save from SMRPG, but I can't get it to recognize the save file or save states.
You will need to use the same core in Retroarch or a core that uses the same format (I think PocketSNES has a retroarch core?) and you need to find out where that version of Retroarch is configured to keep its saves or save states, and then copy your old srm file over and make sure it is named exactly the same name as your rom, case sensitive. You may need to be able to see and write to linux partitions, so you may need to install a linux filesystem driver or use a linux usb boot stick temporarily to boot from Linux.

SchnorkIes posted:

Try the snes9x 2002 core - generally with snes9x the older the core the faster (but less accurate) it is.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The United States posted:

You will need to use the same core in Retroarch or a core that uses the same format (I think PocketSNES has a retroarch core?) and you need to find out where that version of Retroarch is configured to keep its saves or save states, and then copy your old srm file over and make sure it is named exactly the same name as your rom, case sensitive. You may need to be able to see and write to linux partitions, so you may need to install a linux filesystem driver or use a linux usb boot stick temporarily to boot from Linux.

Thanks for the reply! I ended up figuring it out--my issue was that I was putting the SRM in the "Savefiles" folder, but Retroarch just straight up saves them in the same folder that the ROM is in. I did have a super weird issue where the first time I saved over top of that SRM, it didn't seem to stick. I turned it off and turned it back on and it was just the old save again. Hasn't happened again since, though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Very specific question but will any of these devices with any particular emulators run Mother 3 well enough to let you get the timing in the battle combos correctly?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

Very specific question but will any of these devices with any particular emulators run Mother 3 well enough to let you get the timing in the battle combos correctly?
Had a similar specific question actually, how's Rhythm Tengoku on them? I've heard it can have some weird issues under emulation, and of course any performance hiccups will screw you up.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Agrias120 posted:

I did have a super weird issue where the first time I saved over top of that SRM, it didn't seem to stick.though.

I don't have any of these devices yet, but I'm very familiar with Retroarch, and a couple caveats are important:

-It doesn't necessarily save SRM to a file the moment you use the in-game save; try to remember to 'Close Content' or 'Quit Retroarch' when you're finished playing a game, rather than just using the device's home screen button or whatever. I think there's an option to write immediately, but it can cause performance issues with slower media, better to just always close/quit proper.

-By default, it saves and loads SRM state alongside everything else when using savestates. So for example, if you have auto-save/load state on, run a game as far as the title screen, say "oh I need my sram" and close it, copy over your srm data, then re-run the game.. it'll auto-load your title screen state along with the srm state at the time and you'll never see your copied srm save. The reason it does this is to avoid issues with srm-desyncing for games that might passively store data in srm (which I know of exactly zero), and that option can probably be safely turned off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mem posted:

Weedle posted:

open the retroarch menu in a game, set your preferred settings, then look in the retroarch “quick menu” for “overrides” and select “save core override”

I’ve also been having good luck with the EmuElec menus making changes to RA for me.

I don’t have it on me but it’s something like:

Main menu (Start Button) > Games > Game System Specific Settings > Nintendo Game Boy Advance. Then you can specify the ratio anytime you run that game system.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Rolo posted:

I’ve also been having good luck with the EmuElec menus making changes to RA for me.

I don’t have it on me but it’s something like:

Main menu (Start Button) > Games > Game System Specific Settings > Nintendo Game Boy Advance. Then you can specify the ratio anytime you run that game system.

Thanks, that worked. GAMES SETTINGS > PER SYSTEM ADVANCED CONFIGURATION. Interestingly 10:9 wasn't available for GB and GBC but setting game ratio to "core provided" instead of "auto" seems to set it to 10:9. 4:3 was available for GBA.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mem posted:

Thanks, that worked. GAMES SETTINGS > PER SYSTEM ADVANCED CONFIGURATION. Interestingly 10:9 wasn't available for GB and GBC but setting game ratio to "core provided" instead of "auto" seems to set it to 10:9. 4:3 was available for GBA.

Glad you got it working. I’m really liking having a front end that tweaks RA for me. First thing I did with my RP2 was break the install.

Other notes:
-PS1 working perfectly out of the box rules
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 still holds up so well

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

zzMisc posted:

I don't have any of these devices yet, but I'm very familiar with Retroarch, and a couple caveats are important:

-It doesn't necessarily save SRM to a file the moment you use the in-game save; try to remember to 'Close Content' or 'Quit Retroarch' when you're finished playing a game, rather than just using the device's home screen button or whatever. I think there's an option to write immediately, but it can cause performance issues with slower media, better to just always close/quit proper.

-By default, it saves and loads SRM state alongside everything else when using savestates. So for example, if you have auto-save/load state on, run a game as far as the title screen, say "oh I need my sram" and close it, copy over your srm data, then re-run the game.. it'll auto-load your title screen state along with the srm state at the time and you'll never see your copied srm save. The reason it does this is to avoid issues with srm-desyncing for games that might passively store data in srm (which I know of exactly zero), and that option can probably be safely turned off.

Thank you for this--I'm sure this must have been what happened. I've never used Retroarch before, so I'm kind of trying to figure out what eccentricities belong to it, and which belong to the 351V.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Glad you got it working. I’m really liking having a front end that tweaks RA for me. First thing I did with my RP2 was break the install.

Other notes:
-PS1 working perfectly out of the box rules
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 still holds up so well

yeah i’m really pleased with the Tony Hawk series’ performance on the 351, especially after having to crank up the frame skip for the later ones to be playable on the 350. pumped for the 1 + 2 remake on switch but this will do for now

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
After being supremely disappointed in my Vitas SNES performance on several games I’m on the search for a really solid handheld emulation machine. Ideally I’m mainly looking for SNES/GBA/Genesis/PS1. I’m eyeballing the 351v but I’m not sold on that form factor having not used something like that in ages.

My eyes are also not amazing so a decent screen in size and quality goes a huge ways for me.

Are there any suggestions for ways I should be looking?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t forget the RG280V, which actually is pocketable. It has a different layout and no right stick though, so that may be a dealbreaker for some

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
This might be a dumb question but is there a difference in getting one of the Raspberry 4 kits like Canakit or Labists from Amazon rather than buying all the parts separate? Looks like it might be slightly cheaper for me to get a kit that comes with the 2 controllers. I also thought about just getting the Super Console X but I’d like to tinker around since this is my first retro project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

screech on the beach posted:

This might be a dumb question but is there a difference in getting one of the Raspberry 4 kits like Canakit or Labists from Amazon rather than buying all the parts separate? Looks like it might be slightly cheaper for me to get a kit that comes with the 2 controllers. I also thought about just getting the Super Console X but I’d like to tinker around since this is my first retro project.

No difference. The kits can be a good value or they can make you pay for a bunch of stuff you don't need. It all depends. With the RPI4 you need to be a little careful about the charger so I like the kits that supply one of those that is certified or at least good enough to rely on.