Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Helianthus Annuus posted:

is there any way to get a notification when sporadic e is happening?

you can sign up for notifications on that site yeah, tell em where you are and theyll email you whenever theres an opening that might hit you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hot openings in your area

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

I've mostly been hanging out on SW these days and finding a bunch of hams doing a trivia night was a fun surprise.

Other fun surprises was the guys who apparently got into an altercation at something called the Merry Hour, have strong opinions about their district attorney, and the other one who believes chemtrails are greenhouse gases and was deeply and audibly divorced.

Being a SWL listen-loo on equipment from the 80s is extremely cool.

E: here's a question, I keep encountering unlisted frequencies playing what I can only describe as theramin concerts--it sounds a bit like those recordings of planets, or maybe digital transmissions not encoded correctly. Anyone have any idea what that's about?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've got a good ear for those. Grab a recording and note the frequency your radio's tuned to next time you hear, and we can ID! and then you'll be hooked on the completely fascinating sub-hobby of digital hamming. so much fun.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try sigidwiki https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

e: Something like this could be described as a Theremin concert: https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/SP-14_(XP)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 20, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i think its likely to be FT8 from the theremin description. Also because it's by far the loudest and most persistent digital signal detectable on my radio.

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/FT8

EDIT: except maybe not, if it occurs on "unlisted" frequencies (does this mean it's outside of the amateur radio bands?)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
most likely. ft8 is super super popular

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

anybody attending Dayton this year?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Achmed Jones posted:

so im lookin on amazon for rf modulators and lol

If you want to use old NTSC TV's around your house and yard, take my advice...

Go on eBay and look for a Drake or Blonder-Tounge Agile Modulator.

These were Head-End gear used at local cable offices to take composite feeds from satellites and send it on to the local cable subscribers.
Set it to a VHF channel that's not being used in your area and build a basic dipole for the center frequency. I feed mine with a Roku so that I can control it VIA The Roku app.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 29, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:eyepop:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

that's nothing short of amazing

how ehh, how are your local laws?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MullardEL34 posted:

If you want to use old NTSC TV's around your house and yard, take my advice...

Go on eBay and look for a Drake or Blonder-Tounge Agile Modulator.

These were Head-End gear used at local cable offices to take composite feeds from satellites and send it on to the local cable subscribers.
Set it to a VHF channel that's not being used in your area and build a basic dipole for the center frequency. I feed mine with a Roku so that I can control it VIA The Roku app.

owns, thank you! do i need to be looking for specific keywords on these?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

RL Drake and Blonder-Tongue are the two manufacturers to look for.

Here's a great article on how to do it!
https://antiqueradio.org/HomeTVTransmitter.htm

A video guide on building a dipole for the Modulator from Shango066:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4dhRt7tmd4

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 30, 2022

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

Thanks for the kind words! Most of the consumer grade RF modulators available out there today are absolute garbage. I've seen some that spew Harmonics EVERYWHERE, and most of them have very poor quality, annoying, buzzy audio. You're better off paying a little bit more for the benefits of a professional piece of CATV broadcast gear and get the added benefit of the built in RF amp that makes it a viable low power transmitter. I used one of those 90's Casio Handheld LCD TVs to dial mine in so the signal fades out just about at the boundaries of my suburban yard, not that my neighbors would be scanning for VHF Channel 9 anyway.

Have some more Vintage TV Screenshots:

EDIT: Also a video [https://www.veed.io/view/a2df9f43-8372-423d-97a0-58c3d5e2a371

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 3, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so im looking at these modulators, and it seems like they already need RF video input via coax. im very confused, because i could swear that when i was looking at these a week or so ago they were composite video input. so im really confused that it appears i need an rf modulator between my video device and the....rf modulator. im definitely missing something but i don't know what

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh wait is this just doing composite video over a type F connector (or bnc for the ones with bnc in)? so i just would need a dumb adapter?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

oh wait is this just doing composite video over a type F connector (or bnc for the ones with bnc in)? so i just would need a dumb adapter?

yeah, wouldn't really make a lot of sense otherwise. RCA is a _terrible_ connector so pro gear doesn't use it much.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

yeah it is usually a baseband signal from whatever the source was to be

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

Yup, It's just composite over an F connector. All you need is one of these.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
aint dead yet

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1554579879617654784

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i ordered one of those handheld arrow yagis for talkin to satellites

im excited

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Achmed Jones posted:

im excited

that is so cool… I have an rtl-sdr but so far haven’t done anything other than identify airplanes within range. pretty cool, but nothing compared to pictures from space

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

im excited

where'd you buy it from?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

can you aim those things at satellites by hand?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

spankmeister posted:

can you aim those things at satellites by hand?

yeah, that's what i've done with iss every time so far; it helped that the nasa tracking app had a projected sky view though - i dunno how well i would have kept up without that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

champagne posting posted:

where'd you buy it from?

https://www.arrowantennas.com/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Is there any way to force an ic-7300 to tx on 5mhz/entire 80m band? There are so many channels in winlink that are unavailable :/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh sure. Diode snip

http://brucerichards.com/army/ic7300%20mods.htm

whats wild is that my old 746 came factory unlocked. on all bands. including 118-136 MHz. and it does 100 watts of AM there.

<FAA beats my door down>

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

oh sure. Diode snip

http://brucerichards.com/army/ic7300%20mods.htm

whats wild is that my old 746 came factory unlocked. on all bands. including 118-136 MHz. and it does 100 watts of AM there.

<FAA beats my door down>

Thank you for your wisdom, Breaker of Laws.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
slingshotted a new hoist rope over a tree limb and got the HF wire about 20 feet higher and boy howdy it shows

15 watts of ft8

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:eyepop:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I have still been dabbling with listening to web SDR and boy howdy the conversations people have are dire. One time I found a band with 3 woke old dudes but it's mostly the polar opposite. Still something about tuning into these conversations is appealing to me.

Sadly I haven't heard anything like that night a guy was doing a full on boomhauer persona and trolling these racist dudes and then came back later as a different persona and really pissed the guys off, poo poo was funny.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's an unfortunate situation with a lot of causes but yeah. they will spout the dumbest tucker carlson poo poo on the air sometimes.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This may sound dumb, but I've been having fun with FRS recently. The barrier to entry is so low that it's way easier to get friends to play when we go on a hike that has no cell service they can just hop on and start using right away.

Also the radios are smaller and lighter and it's so easy to just say oh go to channel 5 or whatever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah, FRS is useful and good. Some of us gently caress with GMRS which is a middle ground between FRS and ham stuff - you need a (no test, just fill out a form) license, but you can use repeaters and 50 watt radios. and there's some interoperability with FRS

frs got a lot more useful when they bumped the power limit from 0.5 to 2 watts a couple years back

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm a newly minted ham (general) and just impulse bought a used FT-991A. I now have way worse decision paralysis about what kind of HF antenna to buy/make for it than I experienced buying the radio. should I just do a random wire? the internal tuner is only 3:1 or better so I guess I need to buy one of those too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how much land and trees do u have?

i recommend against any sort of end fed wire. they are not a magic trick like everybody thinks; they are actually super finicky and have some hard-to-work-with voltages, and are notorious for picking up shitloads of RF inside your house.

any sort of balanced or semi balanced antenna is way better

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I have plenty of both but anything I put up must pass wife review. I have been thinking an inverted V would be cool and probably something I could build myself without too much hassle. RF in the house causing an actual problem would be a quick end to wife sanction of the hobby.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 17, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
V's are good, dipoles are a little bit better but more of an engineering challenge.

my favorite all in one wire is the ZS6BKW

I currently have a 66 foot off center fed dipole (44/22 split) in an inverted V setup but im going to put up my BKW again this weekend after i build a new 1:1 balun and spraypaint the ladder line gray to blend in against the sky a bit to avoid pissing off the landlord

BKW will get you on every band between 80-10 except 30m with a tuner, and has quite impressive performance on 20m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I have a fence long enough to set that up that backs up against some trees, but it's something like an 80 foot run from the tree line to my house. Do you think it's feasible to do that with buried coax?

I want to make a 2m/70cm dual band colinear (https://www.hamuniverse.com/2m440collinearvertical.html) to put on the closer side of the fence also, i'm currently only using HT whip antennas or occasionally my signal staff on a tripod for VHF/UHF.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 19, 2022