Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My Firefly LP is supposed to get delivered today but I'll be out of the house most of the day. Like the one day I'm not home all day lol.

Edit: My meeting got postponed an hour and my delivery guy came earlier than expected, so I had a chance to play with my new toy. I like it a lot. :)

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Major Operation posted:

An even more farfetched possibility would be having a telecaster bridge with strings through the end of the bridge instead of up through the body. I don't know if Fender even sells any with bridges like that. I have a plywood T-style guitar that was unbelievably cheap on Amazon, and it has that kind of bridge. I guess not drilling through the body and putting in string ferrules saved some production cost.
It's not very common, but there are a few oddballs out there like the J Mascis Telecaster. Which argument wins out - "Through body and sharper break angle on the saddles = more sustain" or "More tonewood = more tone"??

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I have an aftermarket bridge (w/ individual things for each string) on my tele and its strung like that, but its also cut for through body

the thing is heavy big leaf maple and has the best sustain of any guitar I've personally played, but idk maybe even more would be good

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
nm: found a wiring diagram and the "black" wire hanging out is actually grey, which goes to ground.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 29, 2022

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Huxley posted:

nm: found a wiring diagram and the "black" wire hanging out is actually grey, which goes to ground.

Black/grey wire is probably the ground for the pickup cover.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hate that they play in D standard because this song is super fuckin fun to play and I don't like taking my standard guitar and putting it in D standard, and I don't want to get yet another guitar for D standard just to play Immortal, Toxic Holocaust, Children Of Bodom, and I guess Motley Crue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahq4blDfU5s

You'll get another guitar and you'll love it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I think I have one in E standard, two in D Standard, one in drop C (sometimes put that one in a Devy-esque open C), and two in drop D. I just like the way a guitar sounds a little lower than the usual tuning, and I often write in C or D.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 30, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Hellblazer187 posted:

I saw a youtube video about a website lalal.ai that lets you upload audio tracks and remove certain instruments. I don't know how much it's really "AI" and how much it's just very sophisticated software, using AI as a buzzword. Anyways, I used it to take out the guitar track for Looks that Kill and practicing along with the bass, drum, and vocal where I'm the only guitar is a very different feel and pretty cool. I'll probably try to edit back in the guitars for the solo, since I've only learned (and at this point am only capable of playing) the rhythm part. It's a neat practice tool, though. The separation is not perfect, but it's surprisingly good.

Hey this is cool. I tried a few songs and it works surprisingly well. The monetization model is poo poo and would be infinitely better as a one time app purchase but eh, I might try it on a few songs to do what you're doing and strip the guitar out of a few tracks to play along with the drums and bass.

Speaking of music tools, has anyone used Transcribe? I just downloaded the trial and so far it seems like it might be useful to slow stuff down and preserve pitch information and loop passages. Its better than youtube at any rate. The note guesses it makes don't seem super accurate but it might be helpful to ballpark hard to hear sections. Not really sure if its worth the money though. Or is there another tool like this that people recommend?

Agreed posted:

I think I have one in E standard, two in D Standard, one in drop C (sometimes put that one in a Devy-esque open C), and two in drop D. I just like the way a guitar sounds a little lower than the usual tuning, and I often write in C or D.

My main guitars are tuned in E standard, D standard, C standard, drop C, and a seven string in B standard/drop A. C standard is my favorite. Not sure why but it feels like it hits that sweet spot of heaviness and playability.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How exactly does one tell what "comfortable" feels like in a new guitar?

I've thought about picking up guitar for a while now and one of the reasons I haven't yet is because I don't know what to look for in a guitar in terms of how it feels to hold and play. Like I'm a trumpet player; I have a pretty good idea of what to look for comfort-wise when I'm buying a new horn. Not so much in a stringed instrument like a guitar.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just pick it up and hold it, try it with a strap. Is it ungodly heavy?
Run your hand up and down the neck did anything cut you?
Same with the bridge and tuners and other hardware. Is anything that you would regularly touch sharp or pokey?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

My main guitars are tuned in E standard, D standard, C standard, drop C, and a seven string in B standard/drop A. C standard is my favorite. Not sure why but it feels like it hits that sweet spot of heaviness and playability.

I love the way C Standard sounds acoustically but I don't always like how it sounds recorded on 24.75-25.5" scale guitars, maybe I'm still using strings that aren't thick enough for those tunings (tend to bottom out at 10-52, some in 10-48) - I'd love to get a baritone to keep that low, though.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

I. M. Gei posted:

I've thought about picking up guitar for a while now and one of the reasons I haven't yet is because I don't know what to look for in a guitar in terms of how it feels to hold and play. Like I'm a trumpet player; I have a pretty good idea of what to look for comfort-wise when I'm buying a new horn. Not so much in a stringed instrument like a guitar.

I think thats going to be a really personal thing and you'll just have to try out a few different body/neck styles. A couple of things to keep in mind might be neck shape/thickness, fretboard radius and scale length. I would think a smaller radius and shorter scale length would probably be a bit more forgiving for a new player but honestly its really subjective.

Agreed posted:

I love the way C Standard sounds acoustically but I don't always like how it sounds recorded on 24.75-25.5" scale guitars, maybe I'm still using strings that aren't thick enough for those tunings (tend to bottom out at 10-52, some in 10-48) - I'd love to get a baritone to keep that low, though.

I do the 10-52 Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms for C or lower and I like the sound of them. I don't really record though so that might be a whole different animal

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

The cross section of the neck is something to check for, cradle it and see how it feels in the hand. Shapes are described as D, C, or V usually. A "D" will have more pronounced shoulders than a C, and a V will have a high-ish spot in the middle. Some necks have shapes that change from the 1st fret to the 12th, because you're more likely to be chording at the 1st and shredding at the 12th. Strandbergs have a unique cross section but I've never held one to see the details. Check out the Ibanez Wizard neck. Experiment with chording and fretting notes up and down the neck and compare one neck to another to see what you like best.

The curvature of the fretboard is another thing. Fenders have more curvature than Jacksons, more curvature is supposed to be more comfortable for chording, but isn't so good for shredding. This is probably more important for professionals than for beginners.

SG and Les Paul style guitars hang differently from where a strat style body hangs. The strap attaches to the upper horn of a strat at like the 12th fret and attaches to the body of a les Paul at about the 15th fret, an SG with the strap button behind puts the strap hang point even higher up the neck. The ergonomic implications of this aren't small. I would strap up and wear the candidates and see how it feels to hold and play them standing. Watch out for SGs with neck drop, you might have to hang some truck nuts off the bridge to balance it out.

Strum it unplugged and compare, some guitars feel dead and some feel really acoustically alive.

The finish of the back of the neck too, some guitars have a slippery satin finish and some have a gloss finish that can feel sticky. Personal preference.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

it's really hard to tell until you've played one guitar for a while, then when you try some others you'll have a better idea.

are you looking for electric or acoustic?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

duodenum posted:

Strandbergs have a unique cross section but I've never held one to see the details.

I have one. It owns. It looks super weird but feels very natural. I can't explain it, its some sort of chaos magick I think. If you haven't seen it already, Strandberg also does a weird squiggly fret shape thing that somehow intonates perfectly all the way up and down the neck. Mine doesn't have this so I've never heard it in person but supposedly its so perfect that it sounds unsettling to some people, like theres no dissonance at all.

duodenum posted:

SG and Les Paul style guitars hang differently from where a strat style body hangs. The strap attaches to the upper horn of a strat at like the 12th fret and attaches to the body of a les Paul at about the 15th fret, an SG with the strap button behind puts the strap hang point even higher up the neck. The ergonomic implications of this aren't small. I would strap up and wear the candidates and see how it feels to hold and play them standing. Watch out for SGs with neck drop, you might have to hang some truck nuts off the bridge to balance it out.

I've owned an SG since the late 90s and a few different LPs over the years and the neckdive issue is wildly overblown in my experience. There's a tiny bit if you have a slippery strap and move around a ton but otherwise its a non-issue. I experience about the same amount of neckdive on my Jackson and strat copy. The only guitar I have that absolutely doesn't move at all is the strandberg, which of course doesn't have a head. I don't know though, maybe I've just gotten lucky with the guitars I have or I'm more tolerant of it than other people. It also might be an issue if you sling the guitar super low? I tend to wear mine about mid high.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
strandbergs do this cool trapezoid shape that changes the angle of the thumb face of the trapezoid as it travels up the neck

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I have one. It owns. It looks super weird but feels very natural. I can't explain it, its some sort of chaos magick I think. If you haven't seen it already, Strandberg also does a weird squiggly fret shape thing that somehow intonates perfectly all the way up and down the neck. Mine doesn't have this so I've never heard it in person but supposedly its so perfect that it sounds unsettling to some people, like theres no dissonance at all.

I've owned an SG since the late 90s and a few different LPs over the years and the neckdive issue is wildly overblown in my experience. There's a tiny bit if you have a slippery strap and move around a ton but otherwise its a non-issue. I experience about the same amount of neckdive on my Jackson and strat copy. The only guitar I have that absolutely doesn't move at all is the strandberg, which of course doesn't have a head. I don't know though, maybe I've just gotten lucky with the guitars I have or I'm more tolerant of it than other people. It also might be an issue if you sling the guitar super low? I tend to wear mine about mid high.

Those true temperament frets are cool, but I hear if you play with others, everyone needs to have them, or you'll sound awful together.

On the subject of neck dive, my '87 Gibson dove quite a bit, my Epiphone SG Classic doesn't. It definitely depends on the guitar!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Agreed posted:

Get an Ormsby like I did! I've been keeping it in C# most of the time though. 27.5" scale on the bass side helps a lot. I also feel like 25.5 starts to get a little meh once you hit C and below. I think I just don't like strings being that heavy. Plus I think the bigger the string the more bassy it's going to sound.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

I've owned an SG since the late 90s and a few different LPs over the years and the neckdive issue is wildly overblown in my experience. There's a tiny bit if you have a slippery strap and move around a ton but otherwise its a non-issue.

Yeah, I played an SG Special in a couple of ska bands for years, one of which I fronted, used to jump all over the place with it and never had any issues with it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Playing guitar in a ska band is especially tough on the neck since you have to constantly pick it up pick it up pick it up

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Perhaps that's why I never noticed the neck dive, since that's just par for the course anyway.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

your gibson can't have its headstock stressed by leaning it against a wall if you're always picking it up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also can't stress a headstock that isn't there

which reminds me, god I want a steinberger but my wife says they look stupid and would not support me buying one on that basis

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thumposaurus posted:

Just pick it up and hold it, try it with a strap. Is it ungodly heavy?
Run your hand up and down the neck did anything cut you?
Same with the bridge and tuners and other hardware. Is anything that you would regularly touch sharp or pokey?

duodenum posted:

The cross section of the neck is something to check for, cradle it and see how it feels in the hand. Shapes are described as D, C, or V usually. A "D" will have more pronounced shoulders than a C, and a V will have a high-ish spot in the middle. Some necks have shapes that change from the 1st fret to the 12th, because you're more likely to be chording at the 1st and shredding at the 12th. Strandbergs have a unique cross section but I've never held one to see the details. Check out the Ibanez Wizard neck. Experiment with chording and fretting notes up and down the neck and compare one neck to another to see what you like best.

The curvature of the fretboard is another thing. Fenders have more curvature than Jacksons, more curvature is supposed to be more comfortable for chording, but isn't so good for shredding. This is probably more important for professionals than for beginners.

Strum it unplugged and compare, some guitars feel dead and some feel really acoustically alive.

The finish of the back of the neck too, some guitars have a slippery satin finish and some have a gloss finish that can feel sticky. Personal preference.

Both of these posts are super helpful! Thanks!

Chromatics posted:

it's really hard to tell until you've played one guitar for a while, then when you try some others you'll have a better idea.

are you looking for electric or acoustic?

Agreed on the first thing you said. I spent over a decade playing on a trumpet that turned out to be a really lovely fit for me before discovering others that were much easier and more comfortable to play, so I can totally understand the same principle applying to guitars.

At the moment I'm looking for electric guitars, although I don't totally rule out wanting to play acoustic one day.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

which reminds me, god I want a steinberger but my wife says they look stupid and would not support me buying one on that basis

Which model? This is key.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

here's some music i wrote. it wasn't really what i wanted for the song idea i had so i'm not gonna use it (i have since written music that fits much better, do not worry).

https://vocaroo.com/1g4RcUWOcaKT

my guitar has very audible fretbuzz :X

not sure how to fix it.

feels like it needs adjustments every single day or something. i hate it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I think it's neat, reminds me a bit of older Weezer

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Agreed posted:

I think it's neat, reminds me a bit of older Weezer

it's in Ab, like the buddy holly choruses, and does stuff with the same sorts of chords (if i ever want to write a "big chorus", i essentially try to simply alter or come up with a good variation on/mutation of I-IV-V).

it didn't come out sad enough for me to want to use. or goofy enough to allude to sadness.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There's always Hohner "The Jack" if you're after a headless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRX2GbgQts

If you can find one, chances are you'd pay the same price now as someone did back then.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

it's in Ab, like the buddy holly choruses, and does stuff with the same sorts of chords (if i ever want to write a "big chorus", i essentially try to simply alter or come up with a good variation on/mutation of I-IV-V).

it didn't come out sad enough for me to want to use. or goofy enough to allude to sadness.
Those major thirds might be getting in the way of the melancholy a little. Glad you put the octaves in there because it gives me a sense of where you want to go with the melody and I like it. It certainly will get called out for being Weezer derivative but that shouldn't stop you from writing it, neither should anything else. It's a good start and my best advice would be to give it an honest go from there. Finish arranging it, add some vox, find a way to make a finished track (e.g. use drum loops from the internet and record a bass line on guitar then pitch it down 1 octave in your DAW.) Not nice to start a tune then let it wither and die. :(

Regarding Steinbergers:
Why can't we have trans-trems?!? Gibson bought the patent and buried it or something? I want a polymer guitar that looks like an oar with a horribly finicky transposing bridge and I mean it. But I don't want NOS parts or those outrageous prices. I thought by now they would be available everywhere but they've been locked away and abandoned and I don't like that one bit!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Listen to Tank by am on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/EdkJ2

I actually kept a recording today.
Amps are the BX Diezel Herbert and that's their tube screamer into the BX Gallen-Kruger on the bass because I wanted the bass to sound like Bolt Thrower

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I feel like the best advice for an absolute beginner on guitar is to go almost entirely by looks, then look a bit at features and maybe try it on to see if it instantly feels horrible. Chances are that whatever looks cool to you is pretty well suited for what you want to do, and it will make you want to pick it up. Of course, if you want to do dive-bombs, get a locking trem, if you want 80s metal, consider a humbucker, and if you hate tuning, consider a fixed bridge, but other than that, most features are more taste than anything.

In your second guitar, you know why you chose wrong on the first and you can have a good opinion from there.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Missed a reasonably priced Steinberger on local CL this spring - a navy dude's travel guitar. Looked well-played, well maintained, priced like a Squier, had a modded nut (I think) and came w/ the original. I hit him up 2 hours after posting and it was spoken for already.

I'm watching a few of the Cort ones on reverb but I want them to be a bit cheaper

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

What about the Eart ones on Amazon?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Faustus posted:

Those major thirds might be getting in the way of the melancholy a little. Glad you put the octaves in there because it gives me a sense of where you want to go with the melody and I like it. It certainly will get called out for being Weezer derivative but that shouldn't stop you from writing it, neither should anything else. It's a good start and my best advice would be to give it an honest go from there. Finish arranging it, add some vox, find a way to make a finished track (e.g. use drum loops from the internet and record a bass line on guitar then pitch it down 1 octave in your DAW.) Not nice to start a tune then let it wither and die. :(

Regarding Steinbergers:
Why can't we have trans-trems?!? Gibson bought the patent and buried it or something? I want a polymer guitar that looks like an oar with a horribly finicky transposing bridge and I mean it. But I don't want NOS parts or those outrageous prices. I thought by now they would be available everywhere but they've been locked away and abandoned and I don't like that one bit!

aside from just being complicated which y'know, is whatever, you had to use the special strings with it or else it wouldn't transpose right. i will get my hands on a gm1t one of these days

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This is a strange question, but does anyone else get absolutely exhausted by practicing? Like, to the extent I often need to nap.

I don't fond playing or practicing boring, but particularly when I'm putting a lot of effort into tightening up rhythm or phrasing, I'm pooped.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

This is a strange question, but does anyone else get absolutely exhausted by practicing? Like, to the extent I often need to nap.

I don't fond playing or practicing boring, but particularly when I'm putting a lot of effort into tightening up rhythm or phrasing, I'm pooped.

this probably means you're practicing well - it's primarily a mental / intellectual activity, not physical. so, a certain amount of fatigue makes sense

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

duodenum posted:

What about the Eart ones on Amazon?

while not one of the headless models I have an eart and it's a great guitar

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah sometimes. I think its related to tension because its less of a problem when I can get in the pocket and things are flowing smoothly. I definitely get more tired more quickly when I'm struggling to keep on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Hondo /Tokai Tele saddles as I got it

A set of brass saddles and a new switch tip later

Next string change I may change the whole bridge since the screw holes are in the right place for a vintage style and I kinda hate 6 saddle Tele bridges because of how the strings curve around the spring and screw before going in the body.

And everything I ever heard about the 70s/80s Tokai Fender copies is true. After a quickie setup these might be the best Strat & Tele I own.