Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bear is fat bear?
This poll is closed.
480 Otis 7 11.48%
409 Beadnose 0 0%
747 26 42.62%
435 Holly 10 16.39%
A New Challenger 18 29.51%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Some loving gross takes in the thread.

I'm hesitant to post this because almost every time I've tried to talk about persistent antisemitism laundering in the western narrative of Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people on SA I've gotten blood libeled and had posters accusing me of believing things I explicitly said I stand against. So please take what I say in good faith. So let's get the disclaimers out of the way, genocide is bad, racism is bad, misogyny is bad, homophobia and transphobia are bad, and the Israeli apartheid state is bad because it loves to do all of those to an ever increasing degree. I am Jewish and I don't see the Israeli state as a legitimate Jewish state because of its crimes against humanity.

If we have to make a historical analogy it's hard because nothing comparable exists but it sure as hell ain't loving Rhodesia. If we're really going here then the closest appropriate analogy is Liberia. Question for the group, was the repatriation movement to send African-American slaves back to Africa a settler-colonial movement? How would you feel if in the 1920s as a response to the second rise of the KKK hundreds of thousands to millions of African Americans began moving to European colonies in Africa and forming independence movements?

A defining component for Jewish culture for the past two millennia is the belief that the Jewish people are indigenous to the land of Israel and that someday the diaspora would end. This belief was hardened through centuries of persecution, displacement, cultural and actual genocide further cementing the idea that the Jewish people will always be seen as outsiders and never fully welcome in any other country.

A defining feature of western antisemitism has been the Christian belief of supersessionism, the idea that the Jewish people broke the convenient of God by denying Jesus, and therefore the Christian faithful are the rightful inheritors of the covenant and the holy land. Supersessionism persisted as a concept well after the Holocaust and founding of Israel. The Catholic Church didn't seriously refute it until Vatican 2.

Using the settler-colonial narrative to describe Israel is inherently casting judgement on the legitimacy of an entire ethno-religious minority's cultural beliefs and foundation and does so in a way that aligns with one of the West's oldest anti-Semitic tropes.

This is complicated by the illegal west bank settlements and settler movement. IMHO yeah go ahead and call them settlements because it's a violation of Israel's own laws and treaty obligations. And the reality is that the Palestinians are not responsible for the diaspora and have an equally legitimate claim to the land as their home, they deserve a space for their own state and self determination as much as the Jewish people do.

I believe finding an ending to this that doesn't involve ethnic cleansing would be easier and would have been easier if we could actually acknowledge the role western antisemitism played in creating, developing, and legitimizing the modern Zionist movement and also the western guilt over it's antisemitism in the wake of the Holocaust played in enabling the situation to deteriorate. This situation didn't happen in a vacuum. I also unfortunately don't believe that there can be an ending without extreme violence and human suffering at this point but I occasionally think about praying to the God I don't believe in that I'm wrong.

There are plenty of ways rightly condemn Israel without veering into places that get very racist very quickly. Please be careful when using settler language to stick to the illegal occupation settlements and stay away from getting into discussions about whether the Jewish people have legitimate beliefs about their homeland. Israel is a violent, racist, apartheid state that's genociding the Palestinian people. So it's easy to condemn the actions done in the name of that belief without getting into the racist weeds of deciding when you can declare the belief illegitimate.

how are you going to deny the settler-colonialism?

modern palestine was created when the local arab population revolted against the ottoman empire and the british promised to leave them alone. of course the british, being scum of the earth, lied to them and immediately carved up the territory with another colonial powerhouse, the french. so about 20 years before ww2 you already have a betrayal by the west where their land was stolen.

so now the war ends now you lose more of your country, and the local population cant do poo poo.

why didnt the survivors get germany? too many white people lived there and you cant steal their land.

so now you have a bunch of people that, truthfully, you dont really care about and you want to get them off of your hands. well, time to look into the old playbook and see whats available. turns out the west only has one play, stick them in a country the western world doesnt care about and call it your own and they grabbed it from a work entitled "Colonial Playbok: the West's One Move"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
This is unfortunately a problem as old as agriculture, it is a side effect of humanity and civilization that we have yet to solve. I think it would be best to try and turn the temperature down just a bit.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Unlike Canadian procurement, a product that generally meets requirements is received on the other end of the process.

hey we aren't talking about fraud here, we're talkin cost!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Unlike Canadian procurement, a product that generally meets requirements is received on the other end of the process.

Sufficient volume can also cover for development cost overruns.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Come one Euphrates just dry up already and break the seals open and get to the cup and bowl trials

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

My Spirit Otter posted:

im sure the sauds have helped out as well

Unlikely, at least at high levels. The Saudis have been socializing the idea of normalizing relations with Israel for a while, and the crown prince is was talking about it publicly. Also the head of Hamas lives in Qatar, and KSA-Qatar aren't on the best of terms. It's gotten better over the past couple of years, but they're not exactly bffs.

Guess it's time to dust off this classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tIdCsMufIY

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 8, 2023

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1710984158313357390

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

man the christians are gonna love this. i know something bad has to happen to the jews in israel to kick off something

i tried googling "what is it that triggers the thing where all catholics go to heaven" and "what is it that triggers the thing where all catholics go to heaven revelations or something" but all i got was the wikipedia article for purgatory because google loving sucks.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Oooh yes, lets hash out everyone's position on Israel vs. Palestine. Finally gonna crack this one for good.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

My Spirit Otter posted:

man the christians are gonna love this. i know something bad has to happen to the jews in israel to kick off something

i tried googling "what is it that triggers the thing where all catholics go to heaven" and "what is it that triggers the thing where all catholics go to heaven revelations or something" but all i got was the wikipedia article for purgatory because google loving sucks.

Catholics don't believe in the Rapture- neither do many Protestants sects.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fivemarks posted:

Catholics don't believe in the Rapture- neither do many Protestants sects.

well, i should've been more specific, but i'm talking the american televangelist brand of christianity. but rapture, thank you, that was driving me nuts

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Israel reporting more than 600 dead.

Palestine reporting more than 370 dead with thousands of wounded.

https://youtu.be/kvNAid29vv8?si=X5Ii0N0ZgG2Trcc4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If you genuinely want to go down the rabbit hole of that you're looking for dispensationalism and historicism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Events_of_Revelation?wprov=sfla1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicism_%28Christianity%29?wprov=sfla1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism?wprov=sfla1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxN1DXmSdA

My grandmother believes this stuff as did my grandfather. I was only allowed to watch Christian TV at their houses whenever I visited, which really meant poorly animated bible stories and that one tape of McGee and me where they watch a horror movie or their parents left them home alone during a loving tornado.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 8, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
My only take on the conflict is "this seems really bad". Very meaningful, I know, but at least I'm not showing my whole rear end.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

My only take on the conflict is "this seems really bad". Very meaningful, I know, but at least I'm not showing my whole rear end.

oh man, how do you possibly get off of such a high horse?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I just know literally nothing about anything :nsa:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

I just know literally nothing about anything :nsa:

fair enough lol, but that sounded smug to me, so i replied in a smug manner.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The rest of my evangelical family are stoked af because one of the preconditions for the rapture is some giant mosque in Jerusalem getting replaced with a Christian church or something iirc.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Both sides will justify their own brutality with the brutality of the other. There aren't justifications for crimes and horrors against civilians and non-actors. They view it as part of the system, because the other guy does it.

It's interestingg to see some of the obvious bias and complete misinformation being pushed by both sides. I know Information warfare has always been a thing, but it's loving crazy to see how much it's developed in my life, and the variations through platforms.

No one is going to 'win'. I don't see where either side comes out better in the long run.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Regardless of who or what is “right” or “wrong” this is the main take away.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Both sides will justify their own brutality with the brutality of the other. There aren't justifications for crimes and horrors against civilians and non-actors. They view it as part of the system, because the other guy does it.

It's interestingg to see some of the obvious bias and complete misinformation being pushed by both sides. I know Information warfare has always been a thing, but it's loving crazy to see how much it's developed in my life, and the variations through platforms.

No one is going to 'win'. I don't see where either side comes out better in the long run.

nobody wins in war expect the ruling class and the military industrial complex of the victor's side.

greed and powerlust are always the causes of war and the only people that suffer are the lower and middle classes who get shipped off to war, lose their loved ones, possibly their homes, forced to work at insane rates to keep up production, ration food and supplies.

the rich and powerful are almost always immune to this.

no average person wants war, only those that benefit from it and literal psychopaths who think theyre insulated from it want war

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

The rest of my evangelical family are stoked af because one of the preconditions for the rapture is some giant mosque in Jerusalem getting replaced with a Christian church or something iirc.

I think that's the temple going back up on Temple Mount, displacing Al-Aqsa.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

nobody wins in war expect the ruling class and the military industrial complex of the victor's side.

greed and powerlust are always the causes of war and the only people that suffer are the lower and middle classes who get shipped off to war, lose their loved ones, possibly their homes, forced to work at insane rates to keep up production, ration food and supplies.

no average person wants war, only those that benefit from it and literal psychopaths who think theyre insulated from it want war

No one wants war, but a whole lot of people think they want victory. There's a reason why the first Horseman was conquest. He promised a short conflict, prosperity, and domestic unity. It's only after the people believe his lies that the other horsemen go a-riding.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

No one wants war, but a whole lot of people think they want victory. There's a reason why the first Horseman was conquest. He promised a short conflict, prosperity, and domestic unity. It's only after the people believe his lies that the other horsemen go a-riding.

i think people want a quick victory because they know its the best outcome for them and their loved ones. you dont inherently hate your neighbour, its something thats conditioned into you by the ruling class so that any armed conflict, or really any conflict, is easier for the public to swallow. if your country goes to war you dont hope "i really hope this is a long drawn out war that we lose and my life changes, probably for the worse, as we're the conquered enemy of the victor".

i feel like since the world has become more and more connected, its easier to see that the average person doesnt want war. it hasnt been until the last 10 years with the proliferation of social media and the realization that the internet and social media are great tools to manipulate people that the bloodlust has really come out.

look at what musk has done to twitter. once a website full of people speaking out against atrocities. its where a lot of horrors of the worlds were exposed and cast a bad light on a lot of governments. elon musk borrowed money from the saudis, and the chinese can make him do pretty much anything in order to keep the resources and slave labour coming his way. so what does he do? he poisons twitter so that people cant use it to speak out anymore.

its not like people are going to go to facebook, because thats where your racist grandpa posts memes.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 8, 2023

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

My Spirit Otter posted:

Hell, the MIC's side can lose and they can still prosper. Looking at you VW and BMW. (probably among others, I am not a car guy)

Bear News!

No voting today, semi-finals on Monday. See you next year 747! Grazer looks to eat Holly next, probably because she is the color of a toasted marshmallow. On the left side Chunk takes on first time momma 901, can he squash her winning streak or is the massive matron making moves? Will Holly pull the upset of the century? Will Grazer's strategy pay off? Is Chunk making another run for the title or just here for the free salmon? Will my boss catch me watching the livecams at work? We'll find out in the next couple of days!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

Hell, the MIC's side can lose and they can still prosper. Looking at you VW and BMW. (probably among others, I am not a car guy)

dont forget mercedes, mitsubishi, hugo boss, and probably the worst offender, seimens.

i guess i shouldve said one-sided conflict, because conflicts between major players have seemingly different rules.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

This is not how human beings think, nor has it ever been outside the fevered minds of people deeply high on ideological farts.

It's as though we as humans have a pathological need to otherize each other into "good guys and bad guys" of different flavors.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 8, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Midjack posted:

I think that's the temple going back up on Temple Mount, displacing Al-Aqsa.

Yeah p sure that was it.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i think people want a quick victory because they know its the best outcome for them and their loved ones. you dont inherently hate your neighbour, its something thats conditioned into you by the ruling class so that any armed conflict, or really any conflict, is easier for the public to swallow. if your country goes to war you dont hope "i really hope this is a long drawn out war that we lose and my life changes, probably for the worse, as we're the conquered enemy of the victor".

i feel like since the world has become more and more connected, its easier to see that the average person doesnt want war. it hasnt been until the last 10 years with the proliferation of social media and the realization that the internet and social media are great tools to manipulate people that the bloodlust has really come out.

look at what musk has done to twitter. once a website full of people speaking out against atrocities. its where a lot of horrors of the worlds were exposed and cast a bad light on a lot of governments. elon musk borrowed money from the saudis, and the chinese can make him do pretty much anything in order to keep the resources and slave labour coming his way. so what does he do? he poisons twitter so that people cant use it to speak out anymore.

its not like people are going to go to facebook, because thats where your racist grandpa posts memes.

idk we seemed to do a pretty good job of whipping up hatred and frenzy 22-18 years ago.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Soylent Pudding posted:

If we have to make a historical analogy it's hard because nothing comparable exists but it sure as hell ain't loving Rhodesia. If we're really going here then the closest appropriate analogy is Liberia. Question for the group, was the repatriation movement to send African-American slaves back to Africa a settler-colonial movement?

The analogy of Liberia is pretty spot on IMO. The state of Liberia was forced upon the people who already lived there, and involved installing an oppressive ruling class of outsiders with the backing of white colonialists who couldn't or wouldn't make the distinction between the two groups.

I do otherwise agree with you that that this has uncorked some really loving bad takes. One emerging narrative I do not buy at all was "I was sympathetic to the Palestinian people until this but now Israel should wipe them out." This is a lie, anyone saying this was already in favor of that and just wanted some cover.

On the flip side of this of course is a wave of "justifications" for the killing or abuse of Israeli civilians, which is not hard to find. Again, the way these folks talk about it, it's clear they have no real problem with atrocities as long as the outcome is "praxis" or whatever.

My Spirit Otter posted:

you say that like its not true about american procurement

Ok but with the Canadians someone might have also hosed the MRE

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This is not how human beings think, nor has it ever been outside the fevered minds of people deeply high on ideological farts.

thats quite a well argued rebuttle.

but pretending youre arguing in good faith, because a one sentence reply of "nuh uh, only idiots think this" isnt really cool. how is it not the truth? the populace doesnt just want to kill, maim and destroy.

there has to be a perceived threat to the populace's safety, whether genuine or not. people generally dont accept joining wars until their safety is threatened and america is a prime example of that. during ww2 it wasnt until japan attacked that america joined. after 9/11 people wanted afghanistan. the only people that wanted iraq were the american ruling class, and psychopaths who knew the war wouldnt affect them.

conversely, countries that attack other countries for more power, always galvanize the public with a ton of propaganda for years before anything kicks off. they need whip the public into a bloodlust before they will accept an offensive war and will spend years doing exactly that through legislation and propaganda efforts. nazi germany and modern day russia are prime examples of this and im going to assume i dont need to point out any examples of their efforts.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Potentially notable thing: VIPs are only getting out of Israel right now. Democratic Rep. Goldman and Senator Booker were both in the country for visits/speeches and only just announced that they got out of the country. Both did the shelter-in-place thing, likely due to the rocket volleys.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

Ok but with the Canadians someone might have also hosed the MRE

i dont understand this reference

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

thats quite a well argued rebuttle.

but pretending youre arguing in good faith, because a one sentence reply of "nuh uh, only idiots think this" isnt really cool. how is it not the truth? the populace doesnt just want to kill, maim and destroy.

there has to be a perceived threat to the populace's safety, whether genuine or not. people generally dont accept joining wars until their safety is threatened and america is a prime example of that. during ww2 it wasnt until japan attacked that america joined. after 9/11 people wanted afghanistan. the only people that wanted iraq were the american ruling class, and psychopaths who knew the war wouldnt affect them.

conversely, countries that attack other countries for more power, always galvanize the public with a ton of propaganda for years before anything kicks off. they need whip the public into a bloodlust before they will accept an offensive war and will spend years doing exactly that through legislation and propaganda efforts. nazi germany and modern day russia are prime examples of this and im going to assume i dont need to point out any examples of their efforts.

"It's all the bad people's fault that people hate each other" is a child's view of reality.

I mean, that's almost word for word the Nazi explanation for it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"It's all the bad people's fault that people hate each other" is a child's view of reality.

I mean, that's almost word for word the Nazi explanation for it.

ok, youre arguing in bad faith and gently caress you for that last comment, dickhead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Steve should have done a gag where the meal is bugged, like the former Nortel campus.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

ok, youre arguing in bad faith and gently caress you for that last comment, dickhead.

I don't argue pretend ideas on the internet. I say what I believe.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

You seem fun

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I too am concerned about the honor and dignity of people I could usually never give a flying gently caress about. I’m gonna write impassioned words to the effect in haiku form.

In a dance of rage,
Evils meet, yet one prevails,
Strength's not always just.

Conflict's cruel game,
Both with stains, but one remains,
Israel's grip holds tight.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Is that what I sound like, sometimes? I'm sorry if it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Wrong Theory posted:

There was a nazi era VW, but it was mostly a pre-order scam to gather funds for the war effort.

The current VW company was started by a British occupation governor that needed something to do with a factory and a bunch of workers in his zone. They even tried to gift the whole thing to Ford, who said no.