Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never watched Rise of Skywalker, but from what I hear, it was hated by anyone who liked Last Jedi, perfectly assuring that the entire sequel trilogy as an item appeals to nobody.

I wonder what audience was most influential on their treatment of Finn's character, internet racists or chinese racists.

To be fair, she looks a lot younger than she is.

But then again, if you're really going to curate "Flintstones fandom" then surely nobody under 70 when they could've seen the original Fintstones on TV is a true Flintstones fan and that random weirdo probably only saw Flintstones long after it was repackaged as a much narrower show targeted only at kids because everyone had forgotten that adults sometimes watch cartoons.

You can find videos of her from @Midnight and she looks the same. It's like she got to 21 and just stopped aging. When i first discovered her channel I was kind of weirded out because I though she was at most her late teens or early 20s and I felt skeevy watching them. When she mentioned being a kid and watching something that was on when I was a teen I realized she wasn't that young.

But yea, I doubt there's any serious Flintstones fans from the 50s running around accusing young people of not knowing them. My dad had rare plastic statues of Fred and Barney from when he was a kid and sold them for like a grand to a guy who turned around and flipped them for more on Ebay.

Going to the sequel series, I really enjoyed The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, like a lot. I wouldn't say they're great movies, or even great star wars movies, but they entertained me and are legitimatly exciting. Rise of Skywalker, there are some stuff I like, as I said, I've gone to bat for a few of the fight scenes, especially the one between Rey and Kylo that was done through the Force, but over all the movie just takes the wrong path at almost every moment. It sidelines too many characters, and even the ones it focuses on there's not enough. Palpatine should have been a minor thing, not the big bad, plus it was lazy. Like its an exciting moment when the Galaxy shows up with Lando to gently caress the Sith up, but then you realize that almost all the ships are cut and past jobs, and then the Sith fleet is literally just ISDs with a dick cannon and that's it.

And yea, Palpatine's Plan in the Prequels is fantastic. He causes a conflict that will put him in power, give him an unquestionably loyal army, and also is able to destroy any factions that could threaten him. The Jedi are also discredited before they were destroyed because they had become to be seen as generals and warriors rather than keepers of the peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, Palpatine's Plan in the Prequels is fantastic. He causes a conflict that will put him in power, give him an unquestionably loyal army, and also is able to destroy any factions that could threaten him. The Jedi are also discredited before they were destroyed because they had become to be seen as generals and warriors rather than keepers of the peace.

Despite all the moving parts, it's a plan that works out for him no matter what, too, given he's literally running both sides. The Jedi are clearly ill suited for the roles as officers they're put into and even just at the start of the war their numbers get decimated (I mostly remember a book saying two hundred Jedi went to Geonosis and less than twenty returned) leaving them vulnerable, and no matter who wins the war he can step into leadership under some identity or another.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I recall reading somewhere that the Battle of Geonosis also wiped out a lot of the diplomat/consular Jedi. The ones who survived were the warriors, and the warriors (like Anakin) were ready to fight.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And it really lends some extra weight to Yoda telling Luke that rushing into a fight to save your friends is a bad idea in Empire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, it says a lot that both sides of the Clone Wars are literally manufactured, implying there isn't the stomach for raising actual armies anywhere in the galaxy until war has been thoroughly normalised.

The Clone Wars cartoon apparently has the rise of non-clone Republic military officers and troops as a minor feature, including the pre-Empire career of Tarkin. I should probably watch that in general, though it's hard to get into these things with the obvious superfluous kid-appeal characters that are never allowed to actually matter.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Rey is visually set up as Obi-Wan's kid by being a ghost living on the inside of imperial wreckage. So palpatine works okay within that, or darth maul if he was rey's dad, but she's still like dismantling it as obi wan does and living on tattooine and obi wan talks to her in a vision quest and I could go on. I rewatched the first 40 minutes and once again became bored once han solo showed up

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If Rey was Obi-wans kid when did he have sex while being a ghost? Like she's 18 or 20 in TFA, and Obi-wan died 35 years before the movies setting. Is he going around seducing women as a ghost?

Hello there!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, it says a lot that both sides of the Clone Wars are literally manufactured, implying there isn't the stomach for raising actual armies anywhere in the galaxy until war has been thoroughly normalised.

The Clone Wars cartoon apparently has the rise of non-clone Republic military officers and troops as a minor feature, including the pre-Empire career of Tarkin. I should probably watch that in general, though it's hard to get into these things with the obvious superfluous kid-appeal characters that are never allowed to actually matter.

You really should. It's fairly kid like in season 1, but after that they realize their audience was broader than that and aged it up a lot. There's some serious topics about war and stuff in it.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

twistedmentat posted:

You really should. It's fairly kid like in season 1, but after that they realize their audience was broader than that and aged it up a lot. There's some serious topics about war and stuff in it.

Yeah, you have to get past the 'Snips and Skyguy' episodes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

She also did a readthrough of Alan Dean Foster's treatment of Episode 9 (which is bonkers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanyjLmB1Bs

This was worth it for Luke’s dying words being “Aunt Baru...”

Lmfao aunt loving baru

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

twistedmentat posted:

I keep thinking that Disney should have set their new Trilogy a century or more after Return of the Jedi. It would have given them a blank slate to do whatever they wanted, but I can understand they wanted to play it safe, and wanted to use the old actors when they still had them.

I have said this before many times but you could literally reboot star wars 1000 years later in the canon universe and have an empire and republic clash and not only would it be fine but be a 100% fit in-universe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1000 years later doesn't feel like a continuation of a story would be my guess why that was off the table immediately.

Why nothing in the films can be a followup to anything else shown previously I assume is because structurally Disney thought they could straight apply the Marvel model to Star Wars

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was the Legacy comic series which took place like 80 years after the OT which sidestepped what happens to the OT heroes.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Is that the one with Cade Skywalker and all the ridiculous Darth Krayt stuff?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hell yeah.

It was insanely dumb, but had enough of an impact that Lucas wanted to use Darth Talon in the Maul game they were developing, and she was even considered for the villain role in the early stages of Episode 7:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Darth Talon is a pretty striking character.

I really liked the Legacy comics. You had the Empire which was descended from Jagged Fel and Jaina Solo, that was more of a autocracy than a fascist dictatorship. The Empire actually had its own jedi and let aliens in the Stormtrooper corps. There was weird stuff like Cade Skywalker's mom being this imperial super agent that was also a jedi, and he had a half sister that was literally just Starbuck from BSG, they even drew her like season 1 Katee Sackoff.

Don't get me wrong, it was silly, but the fun kind of silly. Though it was confusing because the novel series at the time was called Legacy Of the Force which was the series that followed the end of the second Galatic Civil War where Jacen Solo became a Sith and blew up the Wookies trees and tried to kill his parents. Though that ended with Jaina cutting her twin brothers head off because she gave not fuuuuuuuuucks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think they needed to make them like 1,000 years later since most fiction tends to wildly misunderstand timescales anyways. I just think they needed to put more conceptual time between the sequels and the original trilogy so things would've realistically changed or moved on during the intervening decades, because even though on paper it's supposed to be like 30 years after, on the screen it comes off as negative 4 years after the original trilogy.

She should be as immediately familiar with Luke destroying the Death Star and the fall of the Empire as I am with the Berlin wall coming down and the Soviet Union dissolving. And even though afterwards Russia still became a malevolent force in international politics, it's still in a very different way with an independent philosophical basis (or lack thereof, however you see it).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I can buy it, since oral storytelling seems to be the the most important form of historical record keeping the Star Wars galaxy has. Most information in the movies is conveyed in person or via hologram, sometimes with a visual aid. Luke has apparently never read the sacred Jedi texts, and when he asks 3PO for information about Rebel battles in A New Hope, he's straight up told that the droid can't do it because he's not a storyteller, and not because he doesn't have the facts.

If nobody on Jakku is talking about the Star War, then it might as well not have happened, even though the planet's filled with detritus from it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Darth Talon

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

twistedmentat posted:

I really liked the Legacy comics. You had the Empire which was descended from Jagged Fel and Jaina Solo, that was more of a autocracy than a fascist dictatorship. The Empire actually had its own jedi and let aliens in the Stormtrooper corps. There was weird stuff like Cade Skywalker's mom being this imperial super agent that was also a jedi, and he had a half sister that was literally just Starbuck from BSG, they even drew her like season 1 Katee Sackoff.

Don't get me wrong, it was silly, but the fun kind of silly.
All of the Dark Horse John Ostrander/Jan Dursama series had an optional "episode 0" issue of concepts and background information that confirmed that they spent more time for each of their series and respect for the world they were working inside than Lucasfilm under Kennedy spent for any of the movies in the sequel trilogy.

The series were good if a little milquetoast, but within the realm of "enjoyable non Lucas star wars" that was common and for me, acceptable for the EU. That the one off movies and mandolorian have had more thought into their stories over the movies of the sequel trilogy is a serious indictment of Disney and Kennedy's oversee of Lucasfilm.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I need more of this, where do I get more of this?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Some Goon posted:

I need more of this, where do I get more of this?
Here:

https://m.comixology.com/Star-Wars-Legacy/comics-series/33627

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Luke really should've spent RoS heckling Kylo.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That would have been pretty enjoyable.

Stormtroopers walk in on him shouting at thin air and slicing up display consoles with his laser sword.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd take "Troll Luke" over "I had one bad student and now my self-confidence is shattered and I will throw away everything I have worked to become Luke"

I will credit TLJ for not being the fanservicey creative wastelands that the Abrahms Wars were, but between subverting the OG trilogy's entire character development and growth of Luke Skywalker, the ridiculous side quest that ended in nothing but "...and the moral of the story is listen to your betters, lol!", and Ben Solo being more "man child with force tantrums" than actually cunning antagonist, I was left devoid of any hope for 9.

I recall saying at the end, "the only way this trilogy could get stupider is if Palpatine returned."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh geeze

https://twitter.com/sleemo/status/1303543943603335168

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Huh, so it turns out the Mystery Box really was empty the whole time :thunk:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

She looks really thrilled to be talking about Star Wars

Lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

She looks really thrilled to be talking about Star Wars

Lol

Three generations of actors who've appeared in Star Wars have walked away from it utterly miserable to have to talk about being in Star Wars when they were done with the escapade. It's a thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think Kelly Marie Tran and John Boyega might unseat Alec Guiness for worst experience except in a much less funny way. Jake Lloyd still up there though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Three generations of actors who've appeared in Star Wars have walked away from it utterly miserable to have to talk about being in Star Wars when they were done with the escapade. It's a thing.

Conversely, the one actor who has appeared in three generations of Star Wars always seems to be having a blast about the whole thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Huh, so it turns out the Mystery Box really was empty the whole time :thunk:

You can't sell a box with something in it, then you're just selling the thing!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Conversely, the one actor who has appeared in three generations of Star Wars always seems to be having a blast about the whole thing

Ian MacDiarmid is a beautiful, special case and should be protected at all costs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ian McD gets to play the guy who gets all the good lines and fucks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the allure of Mystery Box writing and have to admit I've done it myself; it's much more fun to allude to a mystery and build it up in your own head as much as that of the audience when you haven't cheapened it by actually having to settle for something. But that usually means that the end result is a last-minute panic that disappoints everyone because they can tell that you had no idea what you're doing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Ian MacDiarmid is a beautiful, special case and should be protected at all costs.

I thought they meant Anthony Daniels. He's probably appeared in the most Star Wars poo poo of all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought they meant Anthony Daniels. He's probably appeared in the most Star Wars poo poo of all.

Yeah, but Anthony Daniels is apparently a miserable bastard in real life :ssh:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also Frank Oz, Peter Mayhew and (retroactively) Hayden Christensen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ah poo poo I completely forget about Anthony Daniels. Alright the takeaway is just being Ian McD must be pretty great.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah Anthony Daniels even played a loving Wookie in the Solo movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Asgerd posted:

Star Wars, Avatar and Harry Potter all do the "previous generation turn out to be bad parents" for the sake of cheap drama for the new characters, but the old characters were the ones people were already attached to, so making them into rear end in a top hat failures to prop up new, less popular characters is just a really bizarre creative decision.

I think there's value this kind of thing. The characters are still heroes, they still did amazing things, and they still hosed up like regular people, and often in a way that is a reaction to their own lovely upbringings or childhoods.