Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will TKZ win?
This poll is closed.
No. 6 24.00%
No! 2 8.00%
Really, no. 7 28.00%
...maaaaybe? 10 40.00%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
well now i just feel sort of ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BlindSite posted:

Volk might just be the best P4P fighter in the UFC right now.

but is he really white, or a different kind of white

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Volkanovski is stealing Macedonian valor and heritage

https://twitter.com/THE_GREEK_007/status/1511129463475560456

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

G-Hawk posted:

Volk looked faster than i recall but maybe its just relative to other recent opponents

He was definitely throwing faster. It could be it was part of his gameplan against TKZ, or having the confidence after the initial feeling out, or the extra work in camp.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

well now i just feel sort of ill.

Take solace in knowing that if it was boxing they'd probably have let TKZ die in there.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

LobsterMobster posted:

Jesus loving Christ. V

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

cool. normal poo poo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
God drat Volk broke the poor dude

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

good ol balkan ethnic strife

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LobsterMobster posted:

The Greek obsession with Macedonia and owning it is deeply sad and stupid.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
people questioning nationalities for no real reason sure are weird, huh

im sure there's nothing to it

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls

Doltos posted:

God drat Volk broke the poor dude

man that last shot of tkz in the cage was rough to watch

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

first time I've watched TKZ fight but man :smith:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Love seeing Volk get another win. I can't think who else there is in the division really at this point who has a good shot at his title. Something no one really seems to mention with him is just how well he game plans for his opponenets. When he fights holloway he'll kick the poo poo out of him, when it's Ortega he fought outside and varied, against TKZ where he had speed and power it was boxing. Dude has the brains to back it up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

graph posted:

people questioning nationalities for no real reason sure are weird, huh

there were no question marks in that powerful statement.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Unperson_47 posted:

do youself a favour and watch TKZ v Leonard Gacia 1 and 2, TKZ v Dustin Poirier, TKZ v Mark Hominick, and TKZ v Yair Rodriguez

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lid posted:

do youself a favour and watch TKZ v Leonard Gacia 1 and 2, TKZ v Dustin Poirier, TKZ v Mark Hominick, and TKZ v Yair Rodriguez

pretty much all of these, yeah, plus TKZ vs Moicano for a quick bit of fun

Jung is really, really loving good, and he's a ton of fun to watch matched against people at his level, it's just...he's not at the top, and his fights with guys at the top get real depressing.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BlindSite posted:

Love seeing Volk get another win. I can't think who else there is in the division really at this point who has a good shot at his title. Something no one really seems to mention with him is just how well he game plans for his opponenets. When he fights holloway he'll kick the poo poo out of him, when it's Ortega he fought outside and varied, against TKZ where he had speed and power it was boxing. Dude has the brains to back it up.

is he really an australian though. just asking questions

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

shame we had to end on tkz getting annihilated but aljo winning is just too good

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
petition to use this for volko's champion description going forward

https://twitter.com/LiberationistMA/status/1513029109894451205

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wonder if the UFC are still planning to give Holloway a 3rd crack.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I don't know that they have a choice, really. Going down the top ten,

-Max is the #1 contender
-Ortega hasn't fought since his hellacious assbeating at Volk's hands
-Yair hasn't fought since losing to Holloway
-Jung is now laid to rest
-Kattar got straight up styled on by Holloway
-Allen is #6 and I guess you could do it if you really wanted to, but he's never beaten anyone in the top ten and very few people know who he is
-Emmett, like, exists
-Giga just got hosed up by Kattar
-Mitchell needs another win at least
-Dan Ige got dominated by Jung

So, like, you could do a UK card and force the Arnold Allen issue, but Holloway's both the only logical contender and their most marketable featherweight.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Bring back Magomedsharipov

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If they want to market Holloway more, give him a note interesting fight.

Unperson_47 posted:

Might be hard to watch his career knowing how it progresses. He always had power, and had decent speed at the start, but mostly he relied on his toughness to get through things until he hurt his opponent. He did worse and worse as he kept getting caught and losing speed.
The twister he put on Garcia was such a highlight for me.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Honestly, I don't think the problem with TKZ is physical decline. He's lost a little speed as he's gotten older but it's not like he's had a precipitous dropoff, he was plenty fine in the Yair and Moicano fights just a couple years ago, and even in the Ige fight last June he looked pretty goddamn crisp. The problem is he hit a ceiling as a fighter in terms of skill years ago and never figured out how to either improve past it or evolve into new facets, and when he fights people who not only have better all-around games but who have clearly studied him and know his habits, he doesn't know what to do and he kind of falls apart. When Aldo started catching him and wrestling him he froze up, when Ortega came out with an unexpected kicking game Jung started overreaching and got countered to death for it, and last night he got the crap beaten out of him in the first round and he proceeded to do exactly the same thing, over and over, for the next four rounds. How many times did he come forward behind a looping punch and get immediately countered and hurt on the fadeaway in the exact same way?

He doesn't know how to not just do the things he does, and that's why he's so popular but it's also why he just can't break through the ceiling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

last night he got the crap beaten out of him in the first round and he proceeded to do exactly the same thing, over and over, for the next four rounds. How many times did he come forward behind a looping punch and get immediately countered and hurt on the fadeaway in the exact same way?

I now no longer have the same expectation for diggers executing gameplan after they get rocked, and Jung was hurt multiple times badly in that first round. Any complexities to your game get pushed out the way for the tried and true stuff that used to work. To be sure, he's had plenty of time to develop muscle memory for more than just plowing in, but imo all bets are off once you're working through the brain fog of getting concussed.

I used to think Tyson's quote was about heart and fear, but now I see it as about how mentally together you are after getting dazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
sterling’s improvement was crazy, that’s like cejudo from the first to the second mighty mouse fight.