Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owl Inspector posted:

The larva just have 1 HP so my strategy is to have a lone captain go in first to rip and tear. when they’re all dead you can bring up the other captain with all your pikmin and swap every few seconds to punch the new spawns. Once you start doing actual damage at her head you can bring the punch captain up and future larva can’t get to you fast enough before mom kills them.

Ooh, good point. Man-At-Legs was another real fun wakeup call. First go had quiiite an unfortunate bodycount :stonk::blastu:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

You can throw your Pikmin up on the ledge behind the starting point and then go around to get them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really love the Titan Dweevil fight, save for that moment when you realize you didn't account for ALL of the spikey metal balls and 50 Pikmin disappear instantly in a flash as electricity arcs through them... :cripes:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really love the Titan Dweevil fight, save for that moment when you realize you didn't account for ALL of the spikey metal balls and 50 Pikmin disappear instantly in a flash as electricity arcs through them... :cripes:

You really should go in with yellows first and disable that weapon first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zuzie posted:

You really should go in with yellows first and disable that weapon first.

I go for the poison gas and flamethrower first as I find them more of a hassle, I just got sloppy once and whoops. :gibs:

runchild
May 26, 2010

The water weapon was the most dangerous on my last playthrough, because it could (and did) hit the Pikmin I had stashed in the exit tunnel.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah, my strategy is to use yellows and destroy the water weapon first because it's the only one that can hit you anywhere outside the arena, hiding all the rest of the pikmin with a captain behind the geyser. I do the whole thing with the yellows and destroy the electric weapon the last because yellows are the easiest to attach. once the water weapon is gone you're pretty safe.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is Pikmin 3 Deluxe worth the double dip?

I 100% 4 and played 1+2 again on switch and had a grand ole time. Never played 3’s DLC. It’s probably worth it, right?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I'd say so, if you never played 3's DLC. The new stuff isn't very long, but the DLC mission mode maps are some of the best gameplay in the series, in my opinion.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is Pikmin 3 Deluxe worth the double dip?

I 100% 4 and played 1+2 again on switch and had a grand ole time. Never played 3’s DLC. It’s probably worth it, right?

If you have someone who can play it together, it's definitely worth it for having (real) co-op for everything in the game - the whole length of the campaign and all the side missions. It really adds a lot to the experience. As someone who played 3 first I was really disappointed that 4 replaced it with a dumb rock throwing gimmick and it wasn't in 1 and 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Item Getter posted:

If you have someone who can play it together, it's definitely worth it for having (real) co-op for everything in the game - the whole length of the campaign and all the side missions. It really adds a lot to the experience. As someone who played 3 first I was really disappointed that 4 replaced it with a dumb rock throwing gimmick and it wasn't in 1 and 2.

I love Pikmin 2, but it's real easy to see how they evolved the "go here" commands and co-op for Pikmin 3 from just swapping between Leaders, and I wish they could've imported that back for the HD version of Pikmin 2. There's a lot of time lost getting both Leaders to places and supervising tasks.

Part of Pikmin 4's problem is they scuttled the top-down perspective for over-the-shoulder, and that's just gonna cost you in rendering because of how much more you have to account for on-screen so no co-op.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of Pikmin 4's problem is they scuttled the top-down perspective for over-the-shoulder, and that's just gonna cost you in rendering because of how much more you have to account for on-screen so no co-op.

Oh I didn't even know that Pikmin 2 did not have "go here", that seems like it would be a pain for controlling both characters.
Didn't think so much about the change in perspective, but their other design decisions in 4 also would not really work well in co-op. I figured it was also because player 2 would constantly get forcibly dragged along if player 1 wanted to enter, exit, or go to a lower level in a cave, as opposed to players just being in the same map for the whole day in 3. Also Oatchi being rideable and such wouldn't work well if there was a second player controlling them (and it would be overkill if there were 2 captains who both had their own Oatchi running around).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nah, making Oatchi player 2 works fine on-paper I think. They have all the Leader's abilities, they're sturdy enough to survive on their own more than a Leader to incidental combat, and the Oatchi-exclusive abilities generally don't need Pikmin around as well. He'd be ideal for a tag-along player two that isn't as versed in Pikmin gameplay. And they get to feel of-use when ferrying Pikmin over water.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How should I go about getting more of the special types of Pikmin? I’m up to Hero’s Hideaway having gotten 99 or 100% in the three previous zones. If I want more do I have to go back to the caves on which I originally found them?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
You can replay caves to find more, yeah. Every Pikmin type has an onion somewhere in the world, too, though some of them aren’t available until later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aside from white and purple, all the Pikmin have onions out in the world to find (white and purple also have onions but they are gotten in a special way not in the main campaign). But yeah if you need more before you can find their onions you have to find loose ones back in the caves.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Loosemin

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Seeing a fair number of Pikmin/Olimar costumes online today and it’s kinda cool.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve been replaying Pikmin 4 with a few self-imposed rules that I feel bring the game back to more of a Pikmin 1-2 pace and difficulty and I’m finding myself really enjoying the game all over again.

I call it Delicate Oatchi mode. No combat-related upgrades (health, element protection, strength, etc) for your captain or Oatchi, and Oatchi is only used for solving puzzles. He can only be ridden when the area is empty.

This also means no charge horn. But you can use items if you want. I’m actually using my healing items and losing Pikmin far more than before, but it doesn’t feel like very obtrusive rules, it feels natural.

I’m finding myself more engaged with the enemy encounters whereas before I could have just rammed into almost any enemy while riding Oatchi.

Real shame about that other pikmin control item being locked so late in the game. Not sure how this will go with some of the later bosses but so far I recommend this way to play, it feels remarkably true to the first two games.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pilmin 4 with proper coop seems like something we might get with the switch 2.0 console.

The fact that there's a completely vestigial coop mode suggests to me that it was considered at one point but dropped due to hardware feasibility

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPFWzSlg-78

Good video about how Pikmin 2's procedural music generation works

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m on floor 17 of cavern for a king and this whole dungeon is just ruining the game for me.

It’s too loving long. I’ve been chipping away at this for a few days and my patience with it is nearly gone. Thankfully I can just restart a floor whenever I lose all my Pikmin to something ridiculous.

But this fat worm in a tight space is pushing me closer to abandoning a game than I’ve come in a very long time.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

But this fat worm in a tight space is pushing me closer to abandoning a game than I’ve come in a very long time.

Solo it with Oatchi

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
You can mostly trivialize that dungeon if instead of savescumming you use some of your 1,000,000 glow seeds to replace your losses with immortal ghosts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I tried to do that encounter “legitimately” a couple times, found there’s no good way to keep its first shake from sending pikmin to the opposite side where they’re automatically dead, and politely declined via a bunch of grenades from my inventory

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I did it with Oatchi. Good tips, thanks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m on floor 17 of cavern for a king and this whole dungeon is just ruining the game for me.

It’s too loving long. I’ve been chipping away at this for a few days and my patience with it is nearly gone. Thankfully I can just restart a floor whenever I lose all my Pikmin to something ridiculous.

Please do not refer to the Empress as a fat worm

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wildtortilla posted:

this fat worm in a tight space

:wiggle:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Please do not refer to the Empress as a fat worm

how about fat empress?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Acceptable

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thicc Glizzy

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pre-ordered 4 the second it was announced but didn't start it until a week ago due to TotK. Amazing game. It's super fun and has a ton of things I love about this amazing series. It is also far easier than previous entries, but that's ok, I got some real existential dread about seeing my little friends die so being able to rewind time and save them is wonderful. I just unlocked the 4th area and everything is 100% prior.

It's weird how competent I feel at this game. Nothing is a problem and I can just dandori with the best of them. Practice makes perfect I guess. I remember how much I scrambled in the first iterations. The post-game seems like it ups the challenge so I'm looking forward to that.

Only dandori challenge I can't seem to gold is Ice-Cross course. I need to figure out the best way to go about it. I usually try to eliminate enemies first but that takes a bit too long. The false-egg mob takes too long to kill if I don't freeze it, and I figure I need his course to get a plat. Will have to keep trying.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

I 100 percented all the main areas in the game but I could not get into the olimar mode. Time constraints have always been the biggest repellent when it comes to pikmin for me, probably why I like 2 and 4 more than 1 and 3.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just wrapped up the main game. Now for the real action.

Some spoke of bloat but I crave more so I’m glad there’s a post game. That said main game took just shy of 22 hours which isn’t bad. Grew over 1600 friends and lost none! Except for ghosts. Had to rewind a few times esp on the adult gold hoarding frog but it was worth it. I hate losing them.

Took 29 in game days.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Does the Trial of the Sage require gold or platinum? gently caress me that was tough. I was laughing it up how easy the previous post-game thing was and blammo! Took down my pride quite a bit. I got gold in a couple but pretty much scraped by on bronze otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can get the rewards for it with just bronze on everything, I don't think there are even any missions or anything that care about ranking in it.