Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Hakkesshu posted:

Edit: I found it by searching for games similar to Ken's Labyrinth. It was Nitemare 3D. Thanks!

Ah god, this game. That awful 8-bit soundcard FM music is burnt into my brain. It is one of those rare gaming memories that I will never ever lose. I will be 117 and on my death bed and my death gasp will vaguely resemble this terrible soundblaster organ synth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

al-azad posted:

Xybots. This was a game I was looking for several years ago.

For once I actually knew one and you beat me to it. I played that game a bunch, still do sometimes on MAME, and think it's still pretty good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Xybots. This was a game I was looking for several years ago.

Thanks again, this game looks even better than I remembered it!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Does anyone know where I can find a list of old adventure games? The super old kind that look like this

I'm trying to remember several I played as a kid but could never finish.

I remember one where you start out in some sort of alleyway, and there's a pair of underwear you can pick up and something about helium.

Another one (or maybe it's the same one?) had a part where there's a broken bridge and a chasm and a hut by the chasm with some creepy bones in it.

Also there was one where you were like in a mine and there were some giant talking rats that you could talk to in the mine. It was only a demo and I finished the demo but it also said something about talking to a severed head on a plate and I think the main character was a dragon with a sword. And something about an owl and there was an evil wizard man watching you through a crystal ball.

I'm pretty sure they were on this CD

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 10, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

circ dick soleil posted:

I remember one where you start out in some sort of alleyway, and there's a pair of underwear you can pick up and something about helium.

Another one (or maybe it's the same one?) had a part where there's a broken bridge and a chasm and a hut by the chasm with some creepy bones in it.

Surreal adventure game with creepy/horrifying elements usually means Dare to Dream. I'm not sure if that's the one, but I played the demo and remember some of the same kinds of things you're talking about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The go-to website for old game searching is Mobygames which has a fairly robust search and categorizing system. You can sort by year, platform, and categories that range from really generic genres to super specific sub-genres. Sometimes they'll have Wikipedia-esque lists for common things like games based on books or movie licenses.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Surreal adventure game with creepy/horrifying elements usually means Dare to Dream. I'm not sure if that's the one, but I played the demo and remember some of the same kinds of things you're talking about.

YES! Thank you!

And the other one I was thinking of was The Palace of Deceit: The Dragon's Plight. They're both Cliff Bleszinski games too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This might be tough as I can't remember much about it. I THINK it was a SNES game, maybe a PS1 but the hero's main gameplay element that I recall is he'd hold up a screen in front of him to blend in with the background letting projectiles pass him. If I recall the game didn't have a proper save system and you had to input codes with blocks to go to levels and one level took place in a giant worm if I recall. I seem to remember a cutscene of the main character getting kicked out of a level into a overworld map and getting snagged or something.

Any ideas at all?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This might be tough as I can't remember much about it. I THINK it was a SNES game, maybe a PS1 but the hero's main gameplay element that I recall is he'd hold up a screen in front of him to blend in with the background letting projectiles pass him. If I recall the game didn't have a proper save system and you had to input codes with blocks to go to levels and one level took place in a giant worm if I recall. I seem to remember a cutscene of the main character getting kicked out of a level into a overworld map and getting snagged or something.

Any ideas at all?

Ardy Lightfoot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh man that was it. Don't remember if it was any good but was one of the games always in the back of my head.

Enid Coleslaw
May 17, 2011

by Ion Helmet
What the hell was the name of that indie game from like 2 years ago, it had a procedurally generated overworld map like Dwarf Fortress, and it was a 2D platformer with a sci fi setting where you had to build a colony and find resources to expand it?
The graphics were not really very professionally done if that helps.

e: It was still in development at the time I played it and I don't know if it ever got finished but for some stupid reason I want to play it again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pork-Ridden Paper posted:

What the hell was the name of that indie game from like 2 years ago, it had a procedurally generated overworld map like Dwarf Fortress, and it was a 2D platformer with a sci fi setting where you had to build a colony and find resources to expand it?
The graphics were not really very professionally done if that helps.

e: It was still in development at the time I played it and I don't know if it ever got finished but for some stupid reason I want to play it again.

A Valley Without Wind. Play the sequel which now comes packaged with the original but the sequel surpasses it in every way. It's almost like jumping from Dark Cloud to Dark Cloud 2, the sequel completely negates the original.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

A Valley Without Wind. Play the sequel which now comes packaged with the original but the sequel surpasses it in every way. It's almost like jumping from Dark Cloud to Dark Cloud 2, the sequel completely negates the original.
Please don't ever tell anyone to play either AVWW game. I mean, unless you hate them and are using it as a stand-in for "please eat poo poo and die."

Enid Coleslaw
May 17, 2011

by Ion Helmet

al-azad posted:

Thank you, you are awesome! It was driving me insane trying to find it on TIGdb. Once I've played them I will finally be able to rest in peace, drowning in feces.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Please don't ever tell anyone to play either AVWW game. I mean, unless you hate them and are using it as a stand-in for "please eat poo poo and die."

AVWW kept me hooked for 6 hours straight until I tried the second one and replaced it so to each their own, etc.

The first game is repetitive but I think a big part in enjoying it is understanding how it works. Specifically that the only that matters are secret missions which give you free buildings which you need to actually continue the game. Your only other option is to grind for hours for money or you could just visit each map and see if a secret mission spawns in the first few sectors.

If you're the "I must explore everything" completionist type the game will kill you and it wasn't meant to be played like that. That would be like trying to explore the entirety of the Minecraft map before you start building anything.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I remember a game mentioned on SA ages ago. It was a cover-y shooter but it did weird stuff with it's cover and was pretty fast paced.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I remember a game mentioned on SA ages ago. It was a cover-y shooter but it did weird stuff with it's cover and was pretty fast paced.

What do you mean "weird stuff?" Did the cover move or deteriorate? When you say "fast-paced cover-y shooter" the first thing that comes to mind is Vanquish.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to remember an older game (series?) that was like a tower defense game where you played an evil overlord guy and heroes came to try to kill you. And you spawned your evil lair with like imps and torture chambers and various evil things to fend them off ... my memories are so vague.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm trying to remember an older game (series?) that was like a tower defense game where you played an evil overlord guy and heroes came to try to kill you. And you spawned your evil lair with like imps and torture chambers and various evil things to fend them off ... my memories are so vague.

It's not really tower defence, but what comes immediately to mind from that description is Dungeon Keeper.

Which is, by the way, available on GOG for cheap. Grab it, throw the data files into KeeperFX, play and enjoy.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

ToxicFrog posted:

It's not really tower defence, but what comes immediately to mind from that description is Dungeon Keeper.

Which is, by the way, available on GOG for cheap. Grab it, throw the data files into KeeperFX, play and enjoy.

Yea that's the one, thanks a ton. I'll grab it off GoG.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Two more games for me!

One is a game with helicopters. It looks vaguely like Cobra Command for the NES in that it has helicopters and is a side-view game. You had different choices in choppers and each chopper was quite different. You would get a point bonus for flying a terrible chopper into a hard mission. There was a long term campaign system with a resource management aspect. If you ran out of bullets in storage then you were out of luck for next missions of the campaign.

The second one is strictly top down, bird's eye view kind of a thing. You walked around and shot at aliens. You had various weapons that you could buy in a store between stages. The stages were pretty short but there was a lot of them. I think it may have "alien" in its name. Yeah, not much to go on.

In both cases those games probably preceeded the year 2000, and for sure preceeded the year 2004.

Thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Was the second one of the Alien Breed games?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba posted:

Was the second one of the Alien Breed games?

Yes! Thanks!

One down and one to go!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No Gravitas posted:

Two more games for me!

One is a game with helicopters. It looks vaguely like Cobra Command for the NES in that it has helicopters and is a side-view game. You had different choices in choppers and each chopper was quite different. You would get a point bonus for flying a terrible chopper into a hard mission. There was a long term campaign system with a resource management aspect. If you ran out of bullets in storage then you were out of luck for next missions of the campaign.

One of the Choplifter games, maybe?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've been trying to find an old game that I don't know the name of.

It's an isometric game, set in the future, and I think on a huge spaceship or some kind of factory/base. You are a guy that runs around the spaceship shooting robots and aliens and rescuing tied up women. The game would have been in arcades in the early 90's. I don't think it was a twin stick shooter, but it played a lot like one. The color palette was very bright primary color blocks and grey. The graphics were about Super Nintendo quality with very cartoon-ish sprites.

I have no idea what it was called but they had it at an arcade in Morgantown, WV and then in the old movie theater in Grafton, WV. Not that I expect that to help, but I figured I'd put out everything I remember.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sinking Ship posted:

I'd go with Tecmo's Deception series. I know said the game was identified already, but Deception deserves a mention anyways. The Deception series is really awesome and super hard, also they have these really scary and weird disclaimers about the game being demonic.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've been trying to find an old game that I don't know the name of.

It's an isometric game, set in the future, and I think on a huge spaceship or some kind of factory/base. You are a guy that runs around the spaceship shooting robots and aliens and rescuing tied up women. The game would have been in arcades in the early 90's. I don't think it was a twin stick shooter, but it played a lot like one. The color palette was very bright primary color blocks and grey. The graphics were about Super Nintendo quality with very cartoon-ish sprites.

I have no idea what it was called but they had it at an arcade in Morgantown, WV and then in the old movie theater in Grafton, WV. Not that I expect that to help, but I figured I'd put out everything I remember.

Has to be Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm trying to remember the name of a very early PS1 game .It was a third person shooter that wasn't top down, but maybe a 45 degree angle, I dunno what thats called. It looked kind of like marble madness, not in being isometric but everything was set on the ordinal directions instead of the cardinal and you could choose whether you wanted your controls to work at standard angle or 45 degree displacement. It predated dual shock, and used the 4 face buttons to emulate twin stick controls. I may be misremembering slightly, as I know you could control aiming but I don't think it allowed fluid strafing the way twin stick shooters do.

It was really gory for it's time and involved military types (big guy, fast girl, average guy, robot or something) entering a bunker and shooting things. Lots of hallways and separate rooms.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Loaded or Reloaded I'd guess

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

isometric game, set in the future, and I think on a huge spaceship or some kind of factory/base. You are a guy that runs around the spaceship shooting robots and aliens and rescuing tied up women. The game would have been in arcades in the early 90's. I don't think it was a twin stick shooter, but it played a lot like one. The color palette was very bright primary color blocks and grey. The graphics were about Super Nintendo quality with very cartoon-ish sprites.
Maybe Total Carnage?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a very early PS1 game .It was a third person shooter that wasn't top down, but maybe a 45 degree angle, I dunno what thats called. It looked kind of like marble madness, not in being isometric but everything was set on the ordinal directions instead of the cardinal and you could choose whether you wanted your controls to work at standard angle or 45 degree displacement. It predated dual shock, and used the 4 face buttons to emulate twin stick controls. I may be misremembering slightly, as I know you could control aiming but I don't think it allowed fluid strafing the way twin stick shooters do.

It was really gory for it's time and involved military types (big guy, fast girl, average guy, robot or something) entering a bunker and shooting things. Lots of hallways and separate rooms.

Project Overkill

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beerdeer posted:

Oh those sweet VGA graphix :allears:

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My turn, I guess.

This was a game I had for the Apple //GS back in the day, which could be run as either a point-and-click adventure, or as a Zork-like text adventure. No matter what interface you used, you'd get music apropos of your location. I don't remember much other than that for some reason, guitar picks were currency, and if you spent too much time screwing around, you'd get eaten by an anthropomorphized alligator or crocodile.

Actually, this brings to mind another //GS game- I remember it basically being a not-bad Ultima knock-off, but you were just on your own rather than being in a party.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Beerdeer posted:

That is it! Awesome, thanks!

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
Two games for me that have been bugging me for a couple of years.

First, a 2D side-scrolling platformer on PC with "retro-style" graphics. Might have been a Flash game, might not. It had a sort of Lego Star Wars thing going on where you could unlock and play as a huge number of characters (maybe just about every character in the game, including enemies and NPCs), all with different stats and abilities, some not even being able to attack. I think I first found it years ago from an SA thread circa 2009 about freeware games or something.

Second, an adventure/RPG for the SNES. I don't know much about it because I never actually got to play it. The only thing I remember is that there were different (elemental?) spirits that would join you, each with some kind of unique ability. I don't remember if you had to turn into them to use their ability or not. There may or may not have been a scene where you rescue someone from a castle at night. I probably heard about this one from TVTropes. The only other thing I know is it's probably not one of the more well-known games out there as I'd never heard of it beforehand.

Is there a similar thread to this for TV or video things? There's this one really bizarre thing I have only the vaguest memories of that I saw a glimpse of when I was around 8. Goons seem to be good at identifying these kinds of things and I kind of want to see it again just for the what-the-gently caress factor.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Interloper posted:

Second, an adventure/RPG for the SNES. I don't know much about it because I never actually got to play it. The only thing I remember is that there were different (elemental?) spirits that would join you, each with some kind of unique ability. I don't remember if you had to turn into them to use their ability or not. There may or may not have been a scene where you rescue someone from a castle at night. I probably heard about this one from TVTropes. The only other thing I know is it's probably not one of the more well-known games out there as I'd never heard of it beforehand.

Illusion of Gaia, maybe? That had you bond with spirits in order to change into different forms.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

The Interloper posted:

First, a 2D side-scrolling platformer on PC with "retro-style" graphics. Might have been a Flash game, might not. It had a sort of Lego Star Wars thing going on where you could unlock and play as a huge number of characters (maybe just about every character in the game, including enemies and NPCs), all with different stats and abilities, some not even being able to attack. I think I first found it years ago from an SA thread circa 2009 about freeware games or something.

Kind of a long shot, but maybe Great Dungeon in the Sky?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Your RPG sounds like Tales of Phantasia. A major part of the story is recruiting elemental spirits and there is an scene where you fly into a castle at night to rescue someone. I'm sure you've heard of the Tales series but Phantasia was never released in America until the GBA.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

The Interloper posted:

Is there a similar thread to this for TV or video things? There's this one really bizarre thing I have only the vaguest memories of that I saw a glimpse of when I was around 8. Goons seem to be good at identifying these kinds of things and I kind of want to see it again just for the what-the-gently caress factor.

Seconding this, I have this show that's been in the back of my mind for years and I'm not sure if I dreampt it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cinema Discusso has a sticky for movies. I don't think TV IV does but you could probably ask in CD and no one will yell at you.

The lit forum also has a "what book is this" thread.