Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boltsky
Sep 3, 2004
Super karate monkey death car
Just traded in my Boxster...

...for a brand new Audi S4...

(my bad, I thought imgur would resize it)

Boltsky fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Holy poo poo that picture is HHHUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE.

E: That's better.

Do you have an under-hood shot, by chance?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 22, 2011

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I love those wheels on your S4.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nice ride.

Did you get the Audi Drive Select Package, with the active diff and electronic shocks and all that?

EDIT: vvvv Cool, didn't know you could get the options separately. Is it 6-speed or DSG?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 22, 2011

Boltsky
Sep 3, 2004
Super karate monkey death car

KozmoNaut posted:

Nice ride.

Did you get the Audi Drive Select Package, with the active diff and electronic shocks and all that?

Not the full drive select package, just the sport rear diff package.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Boltsky posted:

Just traded in my Boxster...

...for a brand new Audi S4...

(my bad, I thought imgur would resize it)

<insert "mentally retarded" joke here>

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

'05 F150 FX4. Upgrades include removing the dealer and fx4 stickers, cleaning the MAF and washing. :thumbsup:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I picked up this 89 Isuzu Impulse turbo a few days ago for $600. The body is pretty straight. It has Handling by Lotus badges all over the place. The bad things about it are that it needs the turbo rebuilt, new piston rings, and has a water leak on the drivers side interior. It should be pretty fun once I fix it up.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Impulses rule and $600 is a great price. Nice find.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Billy Tully posted:

Impulses rule and $600 is a great price. Nice find.

No joke, that's drat clean for $600

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

Kinda scrolled by this quick and I thought it was a Scirocco...

Looks like its in nice shape. That would be much more than $600 here.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Yeah I was pretty impressed with how good the body and interior was minus the leak. The kid was asking $800 but didn't mention the leak or anything so I got him down a bit on the price. So far my impressions on working on it are "holy gently caress, why are there so many hoses?!". The throttle body alone is like an octopus and looks like it will be a complete bitch to put back on. The intake manifold is proving to be an even bigger bitch.

As for the Scirocco look, it was designed by the same guy. He also designed the Delorean. I had also read somewhere that the Impulse was the original design for the Scirocco but VW wanted it a little bit different.

TheAtomicMan
May 4, 2007

whats that over there

here was my car, about july 2008

here she is at her first show, plastic fantastic in SD, about a week ago

still got some work to do, interior is up next, but its getting to where i want it to be!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

TheAtomicMan posted:

here was my car, about july 2008

here she is at her first show, plastic fantastic in SD, about a week ago

still got some work to do, interior is up next, but its getting to where i want it to be!

Nice job with the exterior. Did you do any work on the mechanicals?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

I got some new wheels.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
Advans or Rotas? Either way they look really good and I have a huge crush on the new sti hatch <3

TheAtomicMan
May 4, 2007

whats that over there

You Am I posted:

Nice job with the exterior. Did you do any work on the mechanicals?

had a crate motor put in, and a summit racing intake and carb, because gently caress quadrajets. it wasnt the original 350 when i bought it, so i wasnt worried about losing value. ive also had all the brakes replaced (rotors calipers and pads), the suspension worked on, and the fuel system replaced. and then standard little things that pop up with 40 year old cars, like power steering pump and u joints and hoses and so on

i'll admit, very little of the work i've done myself, as i dont have a garage, tools, or much experience.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Weezy88 posted:

Advans or Rotas? Either way they look really good and I have a huge crush on the new sti hatch <3

Rotas. I looked into the Advans however after discovering that the RS's are cast I lost interest in paying the premium for what amounted to a brand difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheAtomicMan posted:

had a crate motor put in, and a summit racing intake and carb, because gently caress quadrajets. it wasnt the original 350 when i bought it, so i wasnt worried about losing value. ive also had all the brakes replaced (rotors calipers and pads), the suspension worked on, and the fuel system replaced. and then standard little things that pop up with 40 year old cars, like power steering pump and u joints and hoses and so on

i'll admit, very little of the work i've done myself, as i dont have a garage, tools, or much experience.

It's still a gorgeous ride no matter who did the work. And you seem to know what's what so I doubt anybody will rag on you too much.
There was am AI goon like 4 or 5 years ago that bought a slammed green Tacoma with shaved door handles and knew fuckall about cars so he wasn't liked much.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MikeyTsi posted:

<insert "mentally retarded" joke here>

<insert "standard audi parking practice" joke here>

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Viggen posted:

<insert "standard audi parking practice" joke here>

<insert "how long until hellaflush" joke here>

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Got the wife a new ride today, 2003 Cooper S. Washed, clay bar, and waxed it today but the wheels are going to need some more attention. Pretty fun to drive, but slow revving and it doesnt really pick up steam until around 4k.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mutt2jeff posted:

Got the wife a new ride today, 2003 Cooper S. Washed, clay bar, and waxed it today but the wheels are going to need some more attention. Pretty fun to drive, but slow revving and it doesnt really pick up steam until around 4k.

God help you.

How many miles?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What? My friend is looking at used Ses too. Bad idea?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ziploc posted:

What? My friend is looking at used Ses too. Bad idea?

In 50+ cars that I've owned over the years, the '03 Cooper S is, quite possibly, the one that I hated the most.

Issues? Well, the reason that you're not feeling it pull until 4k rpm (even though it has a supercharger) is that the compressor bypass valve is probably shot. They all go, but don't throw any code, so most people never even notice. To replace the valve (upgraded/stronger valves are available and suggested), you have to take most of the front of the car off. It's not that big of a deal, unless you apply just the slightest amount of torque on the plastic tube it mounts to. If you do, then you've got to replace the tube (which is held in place by one thin brittle plastic tab). To replace the tube, you've got to remove the rest of the front of the car, and pay another stack of bills.

In addition to that, the supercharger oil will need to be changed by now, if it hasn't already. Does it sound like a bunch of marbles rattling around under the hood? Supercharger oil is probably shot and the supercharger may well be on its way out. Replace the supercharger? Remove the front of the car. Change the oil in the supercharger? Same procedure as replacing it.

In addition to that, the electrohydraulic power steering pump will go out. Good news? It's only a 30 minute job to replace, it drops right off underneath the car. Bad news? $500 part that WILL fail.

Ball joints? Yeah, they're probably shot.

Slight hiss from the footwell area when you don't have the brake applied? Power brake booster is leaking. No fix, just replace. The replacement for that is extreme. I still have a brand new brake booster sitting on a shelf... never got around to that gently caress of a mess of a job.

Random electrical problems? Probably has them.

Standard early '00s BMW coolant issues? Yep, has them, too.

Basically, I was just waiting for the next thing to fail with that car for the couple years that we had it. When my wife told me that she was ready for another car, I couldn't believe the wave of relief that washed over me. I didn't realize how much I hated that car until I was given the go-ahead to get rid of it.

It's a shame, too... the car itself was a blast. Like a go-kart for the street. And with a working compressor bypass valve, it's peppy.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Thanks, I will look into the Supercharger oil and bypass valve. The charger sounds fine, I certainly wouldn't have bought it sounded like it had bad bearings. 90k miles.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

GIMpy12 posted:

Good Side

Bad Side

86 Toyota 4Runner SR5

I imagine you only wash and wax the non rusty side and just park so you and other people can see it but not the rusty side.

Was it parked half into the ocean for a few years?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mutt2jeff posted:

Thanks, I will look into the Supercharger oil and bypass valve. The charger sounds fine, I certainly wouldn't have bought it sounded like it had bad bearings. 90k miles.

Sorry, didn't want to be a wet blanket for your new purchase, they are awesome cars to drive, just too prissy/fragile for me to own one.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
No problem, how does a working bypass valve feel? I test drove 3 Cooper S, and they all felt similar. The car actually feels like it has turbo lag up until about 3k, where it starts to take off, then it hits 3.75k, where it really starts moving.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mutt2jeff posted:

No problem, how does a working bypass valve feel? I test drove 3 Cooper S, and they all felt similar. The car actually feels like it has turbo lag up until about 3k, where it starts to take off, then it hits 3.75k, where it really starts moving.

Throttle response is not immediate, but damned close. The bypass valve is open normally, then closed when it's boost time. The difference between non-functioning and new heavier-duty valves was huge.

If it feels like turbo lag, it's not right. I think it's a much more common failure than most S driver's realize. The guy I bought it from sold it as "drives like new" and "great power with the supercharger." He bought it brand new and drove it ~65k miles. I knew as soon as I test drove the car that the valve was shot.

This was the one I replaced the dead one with: http://www.detroittuned.com/shop/index.php?productID=179&picture_id=102 As soon as I got the old one out, it was obviously bad, the actuator arm just flopped around instead of a nice, controlled action.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Thats the valve I found when you first suggested it might be bad, I guess I will replace it with that.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Finally picked up my new car on Monday.

REMOVED

Its a 2008 Mazda RX-8 GT. Came with only 21500km on the clock and besides one scratch on the rear bumper its pristine. So happy to be part of the RADL fraternity even with all its interesting quirks. Coming from a 20 year old, 3500lb saloon car, the handling on this thing is amazing. And pulling to 9500rpm makes me rigid.

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 4, 2013

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Welcome to the club! (I'm temporarily out of it until I find another clean FD.) Owned a '04 for a while and the only real thing of note is that she would eat a bit of oil. Enjoy that suspension and brake system. Such a dialed car, if only they had more torque.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Going to an electric car show in Encinitas, CA tomorrow so I gave her a wash! Can't wait to see what cool custom conversions are there.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Yes i know im unfunny.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Cage posted:

Yes i know im unfunny.

I laughed.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

eeenmachine posted:

Going to an electric car show in Encinitas, CA tomorrow so I gave her a wash! Can't wait to see what cool custom conversions are there.

I hear there's one that they actually put an engine in. :haw:

Cage posted:

Yes i know im unfunny.

I don't care - as a former G Body owner, I still think you have the most awesome still-rolling Oldsmobuick in existence.

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

Viggen posted:

I hear there's one that they actually put an engine in. :haw:

I don't care - as a former G Body owner, I still think you have the most awesome still-rolling Oldsmobuick in existence.
You should get another, it's the season for leaking t tops.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

z3bracak3 posted:

You should get another, it's the season for leaking t tops.

I don't own any, anymore. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

D C posted:

I imagine you only wash and wax the non rusty side and just park so you and other people can see it but not the rusty side.

Was it parked half into the ocean for a few years?

Parked under a overhang in Minnesota for 14 years.