Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

Fish Tank Fassbender?

Your list has stumped me. I've decided I'm going to start working through all my past recommendations I've made to people in this thread that I haven't seen yet. I might as well start here. I've recommended Peaceful Anarchy ~20 films (many hard to find) so that should keep me busy.

The Untouchables - This was a decent movie for the most part. I think I'll remember the score itself the most. Not surprisingly Morricone has crafted another one that is stuck in my head. Sean Connery was also memorable with a lot of funny quotes. His death scene was one of the most painful and realistic ones I've seen on screen in a while. There were a few surprises and that was one of them.

This is another one that should be seen on a large TV. I recall seeing the train station sequence parodied in one of the Naked Gun films. That scene was pretty good in this film but I think seeing it parodied first took something away from it for me.

IMDb list:

#226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

#242 Rio Bravo - Another lauded western that I don't know anything about. 9/6/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1959 Ben-Hur - At one point I thought I'd seen all of this on TV but reading about it it's clear I probably didn't. Might be time. 8/23/12

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

1953 From Here to Eternity - I can picture the movie poster. 9/6/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#20 Legend - I remember seeing some of this at a very young age and being terrified/mesmerized by some of the scenes. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksk7wPX-MI4 :stare: 8/27/12

new #21 Fish Tank - Never heard of it but it is on Netflix instant. 9/19/12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Zogo posted:

This is another one that should be seen on a large TV. I recall seeing the train station sequence parodied in one of the Naked Gun films. That scene was pretty good in this film but I think seeing it parodied first took something away from it for me.

That scene is a recreation of a scene from Battleship Potemkin.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

That scene is a recreation of a scene from Battleship Potemkin.

Oh yea. I do remember that scene now that you point it out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zogo posted:

1959 Ben-Hur - At one point I thought I'd seen all of this on TV but reading about it it's clear I probably didn't. Might be time. 8/23/12

I grew up watching this film a whole lot, and love it to pieces. Heston in his prime is fantastic.

Watched Persona and Au Hasard Balthazar.
Persona first - I absolutely loved the lighting in this movie, as the use of black and white with the stark shadows really made for tons of gorgeous silhouttes. There was a shot within the first half hour of Elisabeth's eyes as the room grew dim, with light reflecting in them, that was amazing. I also really liked how the characters often had one face blocking out a portion of the other, it's a really effective technique that foreshadows what I understood the plot to be.
As for the plot, going to wall of black this
The two actresses are split personalities of the same woman, and it took me a long, long time to realize this - when the husband showed up in person I believed I was right, and then the repeated conversation about the child, complete with identical scarves holding the hair, convinced me. Very well done in showing two personalities of the same person interacting with each other.

Things I didn't like/understand:
The quick cut imagery early on that is repeated halfway through. Other than the nail in the hand representing Christ, I wasn't really sure what to make of this. I also didn't understand the photo of the Nazis?? with the children and families.
And I didn't like that the amount of dialogue took away from the amazing lighting and emotive faces, I need to watch it again to appreciate it since I know what's being said now.

Au Hasard Balthazar - absolutely loved this, and gave it a 100 on Criticker. I watched it about 10 days ago so I can't do as thorough of a writeup, but the lack of dialogue, the lack of emotion in the characters, and the score just seemed to amplify each other into being incredible. Really hard to describe why it worked so well - despite having very little said, the movie touches on the most important themes of humanity and addresses them without judgment.
And poor Balthazar :(

Oh and I watched Cabin in the Woods but that's been analyzed to death and I don't have much to say about it beyond that it embraced what it supposedly was decrying, which I found to be pretty sad.

L'atalante - top S&S movie I haven't seen.

Bergman - Wild Stawberries - More Bergman

Late Spring - didn't care for Tokyo Story when I watched it again, but I've matured and might appreciate Ozu more now?

Bresson A Man Escape . Loved Balthazar, keeping with Bresson for now.

Lynch - The Elephant Man - I need to watch a ton more Lynch films.

A Woman Under the Influence - I've heard of Cassavates but know nothing of him.

Sophie's Choice - Understand it to be overly melodramatic, but the title is used constantly.

Horror - Poltergeist Yet another 'classic' I haven't seen.

A Canterbury Tale - I've really loved all the P&P movies I've seen, with the exception of Black Narcissus (don't know why that one didn't grip me).

Brokeback Mountain - Basically a catchphrase joke at this point, but culturally relevant.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 20, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

mastershakeman posted:

Lynch - The Elephant Man - I need to watch a ton more Lynch films.

It's on my list, too :v: Hope you like it. It's one of three Lynch films I haven't seen.

Since making this post, I watched Wild Strawberries... and that's definitely going to be my next recommendation for you. If you haven't started Elephant Man, let me change my recommendation to Wild Strawberries.

Just watched: Chinatown
Holy. poo poo.
Everyone needs to see this, if for some reason they haven't.

Roman Polanski's last film before fleeing to Europe for being a creep, Chinatown is almost enough of a reason to give him a pardon for it. This film is a "neo noir", and it deserves that distinction, because it truly straddles the line of old school noir while reinventing the genre. The movie is best summed up by one of the character's lines: "You may think you know what you're dealing with, but believe me, you don't."

The film's storyline is dark and labyrinthian, a deeply layered mystery that keeps you guessing, and just when you think you have figured things out, you turn another corner. There is never a dull moment-- 130 minutes seem to fly by in the time it takes to watch one good episode of Law & Order. After everything was revealed, and the credits rolled, I had distinct feelings of nausea and anger and emptiness. It's really tough to say anything about this film that isn't cliched. "Masterpiece", "best mystery film ever" and "flawless" are all accurate when describing this film, and not hyperbolic.

Note: I removed two movies from the list, one that I watched, and one that I don't think deserves to be up there with the caliber of movies in the rest of the list. So I'll watch it on my own when I need something light.
List:
Amélie - Watched some of it when I was a young teen, but never got through it. Needless to say, my tastes are much more refined now, so it's time to give it a go.

*NEW*Blade Runner - I don't even know what the gently caress this is, but it is constantly referenced and almost universally lauded.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

The Elephant Man One of the few by Lynch I haven't seen

Even Dwarfs Started Small Me want more Herzog.

*NEW*Knife In The Water More Polankski. You may also choose Repulsion instead of this one.

La Strada Need. More. Fellini.

Notorious - Hitchcock and Cary Grant? Yes please.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, The Big Chill, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (21 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 21, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

escape artist posted:

Even Dwarfs Started Small Me want more Herzog.

This is a really odd pick to follow Aguirre, but now you can't avoid it. It will be interesting to read the reaction :v: Enjoy the insane anarchy.

The dangers of following or completing those Lists of Great Film Canon, usually arise when you stumble into a particular 'Great' and you are completely baffled as to why it came to it's fame. Such was my case with Jean Vigo's L'Atalante. First the really interesting parts. The framing of every scene inside the boat tight and small rooms is quite impressive, and I can't really pick that many films made in the 30's(or beyond) that get so much out of so little space. There is also some small moments, where that pure lyricism that is so much advertised about, is in full view and it's quite something. Actually the whole film is built on small little moments, and peculiar turns.
However for every good minute where everything seems to start clicking together, there's like 10 minutes of oppressive unfunny attempts at humour, and scenes that seemingly go nowhere or are poorly stringed together. For a film about a boat going up the river, it doesn't particularly float or flow all that well, and despite it's 85 minutes runtime it felt much longer.

I guess I just don't get it. :saddowns:

SHAME Part III:

:zombie:Vivre Sa Vie:zombie: Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.This has been here for so long, that I have changed my opinion on Godard.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Quickly becoming a Buster Keaton convert.

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Caché(Hidden) Another from the pile of films I own but can't remember why.

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

The Leopard "He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs."

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country This is the final voyage of the Starship Enterprise...

Rome, Open City Early Italian Neo-Realism.

The Earrings of Madame de... This one comes with high praise.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Haven't watched a Powell&Pressburger feature in awhile.

Have watched so far 28 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

escape artist posted:

and one that I don't think deserves to be up there with the caliber of movies in the rest of the list. So I'll watch it on my own when I need something light.

What movie was that?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Electronico6 posted:

This is a really odd pick to follow Aguirre, but now you can't avoid it. It will be interesting to read the reaction :v: Enjoy the insane anarchy.

Well, I've already got Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, and Klaus Kinski: My Best Friend lined up to watch, too. I watch movies outside of this post because on the weekends (when I can marathon movies) you guys scurry away somewhere!

I basically went to a "Top 10 Herzog" movies list and then tried to find something in the bottom 5 of that, because I kind of spoiled myself, Herzog-wise, by picking Aguirre first.

Electronico, two questions:
What's the lowest movie on the TSPDT list that you haven't seen, now?

Also, I've been following you on Criticker (I'm taumpytears), and drat, you seem to watch movies every waking hour! How do you do it? :lol:

penismightier posted:

What movie was that?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216496/

escape artist fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 21, 2012

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

escape artist posted:

Well, I've already got Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, and Klaus Kinski: My Best Friend lined up to watch, too.

You can't go wrong with Fitzcarraldo, easily Herzog's best feature and one of the most awe inspiring movies of all time.

edit: not to disparage Even Dwarfs Started Small...Herzog is always interesting but he's definitely covered some weird ground.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

escape artist posted:

Electronico, two questions:
What's the lowest movie on the TSPDT list that you haven't seen, now?

Also, I've been following you on Criticker (I'm taumpytears), and drat, you seem to watch movies every waking hour! How do you do it? :lol:

Les Enfants du paradis at 36.

Too much free time. But really, it's during the weekend that I tend to watch an abnormal number of films.

Also Even Dwarfs Started Small, is pretty awesome, it's just Herzog at it's most bizarre and insane. It's a fairly unique film for Herzog and I guess for cinema in general.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Desiato posted:

You can't go wrong with Fitzcarraldo, easily Herzog's best feature and one of the most awe inspiring movies of all time.

edit: not to disparage Even Dwarfs Started Small...Herzog is always interesting but he's definitely covered some weird ground.

Electronico6 posted:

Les Enfants du paradis at 36.

Too much free time. But really, it's during the weekend that I tend to watch an abnormal number of films.

Also Even Dwarfs Started Small, is pretty awesome, it's just Herzog at it's most bizarre and insane. It's a fairly unique film for Herzog and I guess for cinema in general.

Lynch is my favorite director, so I'm no stranger to bizarre cinema. Also, I got that one film about Kasper Hause or whatever, too.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Electronico6, go with Caché . It sounds pretty interesting.

I got to see a Fritz Lang talkie with M. I didn't realize the talking was in German. Visually, the movie is beautiful. The sets and lighting are perfect. It is a fairly dialogue-heavy film though, so splitting my attention between the subtitles and the scene was a little distracting at times. Excellent film though, with a very unique story told. One question - I watched this on the Openflix account on YouTube. The film would go silent at times. Is this how it was filmed, or has the audio been lost at some points?

I also watched Paths of Glory this week because it was available at the library. I had a little trouble getting into it at first. The first act kind of seemed to drag, despite being mostly action. Once it got to the court martial it really picked up and I enjoyed this film as well. That last scene was very emotional.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

8. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

9. The Departed: I always confuse this with Taken for some reason.

10. To Kill a Mockingbird: I think I watched this in high school, but watching something in a crowded classroom is not the proper way to enjoy a film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh, this is as good as, like, half your list.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

Oh, this is as good as, like, half your list.

Does that mean half my list sucks, or Mother is good? :lol:
Honestly, I'm insecure around you cinephiles. My list is pretty good, isn't it?

I just didn't feel it fit the criteria since its so new. It's certainly not "a movie your dad would tell you to see." I'm going to watch it, but it felt like it was never going to get picked.

Anyway... I'm 20 minutes from the end of the last movie that was picked for me... I am typing up some notes on it right now, trying to make sense of this mindfuck.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

7. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

This is essential viewing. This is the movie this thread was made for, in my opinion.

Just watched: Even Dwarfs Started Small
Well, it's easy to write this movie off as bizarre-for-the-sake-of-it and exploitative, so I'm going to try and give Herzog a little more credit than that.

Two images stuck with me through this movie: The image of the chicken pecking the dead chicken, and the image of the passengerless/driverless car going around in a circle, indefinitely.

I feel there's some relevant symbolism in the chicken pecking the dead chicken, but
I can't quite articulate or decipher it. I think it's analogous to the blind dwarves being picked on by the seeing dwarves. This is echoed when the one-legged chicken is seemingly being chased by the two-legged chicken.

The image of the car seems a bit easier to decipher. Like the car, the dwarves are
without direction, spinning their wheels, making no tangible progress, and it is inevitable they will run out of gas, so to speak. The car, open doors, no passengers, circling over and over again, that image, is simultaneously amusing and troubling, like most of the action of the characters. Why are they doing what they're doing-- it seems directonless? They made whatever point to the head dwarf in charge, so why continue this mayhem? When the pig is killed by a couple of dwarves, the rest wonder how?
The audience has a similarly perplexing question, that is constistent throughout the film-- why?

I enjoyed the song that kept repeating throughout the movie. It was gleeful and haunting, it aroused paradoxical feelings whenever I heard it. And this movie is all about paradoxical feelings. The treatment of animals by the filmmakers was troubling, but that just seems to come with the territory with Herzog. Like that poor horse in Aguirre.

Overall: Glad I watched it. Would like to hear any other thoughts or critiques about it. I wonder if my analysis is just going to elicit haunting laughter like Hombre or Pepe's.

List:
Amélie - Watched some of it when I was a young teen, but never got through it. Needless to say, my tastes are much more refined now, so it's time to give it a go.

Blade Runner - I don't even know what the gently caress this is, but it is constantly referenced and almost universally lauded.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

The Elephant Man One of the few by Lynch I haven't seen

Knife In The Water More Polankski. You may also choose Repulsion instead of this one.

Notorious - Hitchcock and Cary Grant? Yes please.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

*new*The Silence - More Bergman.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, The Big Chill, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (22 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 22, 2012

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Mother is a brilliant film, and Bong Joon-Ho is the best Korean director, so there's no reason it shouldn't be on your list. The parameters of this thread are fairly mutable, if you ask me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

escape artist posted:

I just didn't feel it fit the criteria since its so new. It's certainly not "a movie your dad would tell you to see." I'm going to watch it, but it felt like it was never going to get picked.

It's a hell of a list and Mother is a hell of a movie. You're rocking a win/win.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Mother is a brilliant film, and Bong Joon-Ho is the best Korean director, so there's no reason it shouldn't be on your list. The parameters of this thread are fairly mutable, if you ask me.

I've seen people put A Serbian Film on their lists. If that is acceptable, then there are no limits.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Jurgan posted:

I've seen people put A Serbian Film on their lists. If that is acceptable, then there are no limits.

To be fair, that movie gets hyped a lot in the horror thread.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

escape artist posted:

I wouldn't worry about this. Honestly, a lot of people around here could care less about any sort of "Film Canon" anyway. Not that you shouldn't see those films, because the vast majority deserve their recognition as classics and really are must-sees, but put whatever you want on your list. I mean, thanks to this thread I finally watched 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Godfather, Casablanca, and Chinatown. I also finally watched The Warriors, Big Trouble In Little China, and Airplane.

Essentially, I use it as a way to finally have the push to watch all those movies I've really been meaning to get around to. I'd say watch Mother or throw it back up on your list.

Also, apparently Lawrence of Arabia is going to be in theaters nationwide in the US on October 4th, so I'll finally cross that off my list then.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

One question - I watched this on the Openflix account on YouTube. The film would go silent at times. Is this how it was filmed, or has the audio been lost at some points?

That's how it is on the DVD as well. I believe that's how it's always been. One of those films that was made as directors/filmmakers were first starting to experiment with sound.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

That's how it is on the DVD as well. I believe that's how it's always been. One of those films that was made as directors/filmmakers were first starting to experiment with sound.

It also makes the movie a lot more effective and eerie. You'll also have moments of complete silence and then have something like a car horn happen and completely throw you off.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So, someone want to pick a movie for me? :q:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

escape artist posted:

So, someone want to pick a movie for me? :q:

It's always kind of slow on the weekends, which frankly surprises me. It may be that people are watching movies, but don't post reviews until later.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jurgan posted:

It's always kind of slow on the weekends, which frankly surprises me. It may be that people are watching movies, but don't post reviews until later.

I've noticed that, and find it strange, too.

Luckily I procured like 3 Bergman, 3 Herzog, and about 5 Criticker-recommended movies last week because I anticipated the weekend lull.

I haven't seen the original, silent Nosferatu, but I assume I probably should before I watch the Herzog version, right? It's up on Youtube, so I'll go ahead and do it just in case.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 23, 2012

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The general chat thread is also always slow on weekends. People tend to go out, whereas it's easier to sit by yourself and watch a movie after work. Friday and saturday people go to bars and concerts. I usually try and take advantage of saturday mornings though and watch at least something.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
drat you guys, you've left me movie-less for too long.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not playing but give Blade Runner a crack!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

escape artist posted:

Your torment has come to an end. For now at least.

Well Cache was loving uncomfortable to watch, to the point it ruined the rest of my day. I had other films to go through today, and it successfully put out my will to watch any of them. I guess in that sense, it accomplishes it's goal with the 'cinema as voyeurism' theme it has going on. Out of all the films that call attention to the viewer as a voyeur(Rear Window), I don't think any of them go to such great lengths to not just implicate the viewer as a meddler, a pervert, a stalker, a criminal, but also feel ever so increasingly bad to have ever crashed into the life of this, quite normal and banal, family and taunting and tormenting them with their deepest secrets and fears. There is also something here about the individual, and collective, memory and guilt of France(and I guess all of the (white) Western World) over the treatment of it's colonies, with Algeria in the centre stage, though I don't think it works all that well, with that rather of poor lame ending. It's disappointing after such a devilish ride, that it just ends on a flat note.

So yeah, gently caress you Haneke you ruined my day. :argh:

(But really, it's a great film.)

SHAME Part III:

:zombie:Vivre Sa Vie:zombie: Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.This has been here for so long, that I have changed my opinion on Godard.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Quickly becoming a Buster Keaton convert.

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country This is the final voyage of the Starship Enterprise...

Rome, Open City Early Italian Neo-Realism.

The Earrings of Madame de... This one comes with high praise.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Haven't watched a Powell&Pressburger feature in awhile.

To be or Not to Be Ernst Lubitsch comedy about them nazis.

Have watched so far 29 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Electronico6 posted:

There is also something here about the individual, and collective, memory and guilt of France(and I guess all of the (white) Western World) over the treatment of it's colonies, with Algeria in the centre stage, though I don't think it works all that well, with that rather of poor lame ending. It's disappointing after such a devilish ride, that it just ends on a flat note.
Do you consider the reveal in the final shot to be hopeful or menacing or OTHER?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

a radii hike posted:

Do you consider the reveal in the final shot to be hopeful or menacing or OTHER?

The correct answer here is all of the above and a perhaps a little bit more.

This is where I found the ending to be lacking. The way it's shot, seems to me to add a certain aspect of confusion, but when you see it, doesn't really clarify anything, and only increases that feeling of bemusement. Not that reaching a concrete resolution is of the utmost importance for this film, I just don't understand what that particular final ambiguity adds to the overall film, because I'm not buying the idea of them being the ones sending the tapes which seems to be paraded about.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Electronico6 posted:

Although I made no progress on my shamed forever movies I did watch Days of Heaven, as suggested. I thought it was very effective, especially the last half an hour - the way the tension is ramped up was masterful. The score and the cinematography were wonderful as expected, I am a massive fan of Linda's voiceover and extremely naturalistic acting - such a shame she never went on to have much of a career. I naturally like these early 20th century working man's tale sort of stories (The Grapes of Wrath just astounded me) & very much appreciated the romance/drama on this being rather low-key, it's more of an art film than a straight up drama which is saying something considering the premise. 8/10

22. Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922, Benjamin Christensen)
Seems a very interesting film, some creepy screen-caps have been about all I know of it's imagery but it's definitely strange to me that a film about the history of witchcraft was made at this time.

27. Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Yet another Hitchcock, still got a hell of a lot to get through.

28. The Wages of Fear (1953, Henri-Georges Clouzot)
It definitely sounds different, anyway. Not seen enough foreign-language films especially from this era.

30. Some Like It Hot (1959, Billy Wilder)
I love pretty much everything Billy Wilder has touched but yet to see this one (which is probably his most famous - hence the shame).

31. Rebel Without a Cause (1955, Nicolas Ray)
I have never seen any James Dean pictures.

32. Manhattan (1979, Woody Allen)
I've been working my way through most of Woody Allen's films since last year, loving them all. This is the biggest name out of the billions I have yet to see.

33. MASH (1970, Robert Altman)
I remember not really liking that the TV show was on Comedy Central all the time instead of Fresh Prince, then it got even worse when it was on a legit copy of my special edition Batman Begins DVD instead of Batman Begins - and by the time I realised it was too late to return it. But yeah, it has a lot to make up for. :colbert:

34. Persona (1966, Ingmar Bergman)
I breezed through a Bergman box-set at the start of the year and would love to pull the thread a little more - enjoyed pretty much everything he's done so far.

35. Brief Encounter (1945, David Lean)
Some good old British romance, these type of movies always surprise me & I don't know if that's just because I'm so ignorant & assuming or they generally surprise everyone with a few more ingredients thrown in that you weren't expecting.

37. In the Mood For Love (2000, Kar Wai Wong)
This seems to be a modern classic I know very little of, have no expectations other than it'll be a worthy two hours spent.

No More Shame:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Godzilla - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10, 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. The Passion of Joan of Arc - 8/10, 17. Stagecoach - 7/10, 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10, 12. Un Chien Andalou - 8/10, 21. It Happened One Night - 6/10, 10. Ben-Hur - 4/10, 18. The Public Enemy - 6/10, 23. La Strada - 7/10, 20. The Thin Man - 7/10, 15. Shadow of a Doubt - 8/10, 24. The Red Shoes - 8/10, 26. The Lady from Shanghai - 7/10, 14. Battleship Potemkin - 8/10, 16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - 7/10, 2. Destiny - 7/10, 29. The 400 Blows - 8/10, 25. La Grande Illusion - 8/10, 36. Days of Heaven - 8/10.

SHAMED FOREVER:
1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BisonDollah posted:

Although I made no progress on my shamed forever movies I did watch Days of Heaven

Hey, this is the thread you're looking for:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184582

I watched the Virgin Spring but I don't get to suggest a movie now because it wasn't on my list or chosen for me :q: And Wild Strawberries, too.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

escape artist posted:

Hey, this is the thread you're looking for:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184582

I watched the Virgin Spring but I don't get to suggest a movie now because it wasn't on my list or chosen for me :q: And Wild Strawberries, too.

No it ain't, Days of Heaven was chosen for me since I skipped a movie after 6 months of not watching it just so I could play again. Hence forever shamed. And ",as suggested". And the number on it. And me actually posting in this thread. Thanks for making me feel more shame though!

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 25, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BisonDollah posted:

No it ain't, Days of Heaven was chosen for me since I skipped a movie after 6 months of not watching it just so I could play again. Hence forever shamed. And ",as suggested". And the number on it. And me actually posting in this thread. Thanks for making me feel more shame though!

You're right, I'm wrong... Reciprocal shame! This is the right thread for both of us.

I don't want to put Gone With The Wind on my list because seriously, 4 hours? Only Kurosawa is allowed to get away with that.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

escape artist posted:

You're right, I'm wrong... Reciprocal shame! This is the right thread for both of us.

I don't want to put Gone With The Wind on my list because seriously, 4 hours? Only Kurosawa is allowed to get away with that.

Why do people complain about the length so much? Geez, just freakin' watch it and get it over with. If it helps, there's an intermission in the middle, so you can watch it on two different days.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jurgan posted:

Why do people complain about the length so much? Geez, just freakin' watch it and get it over with. If it helps, there's an intermission in the middle, so you can watch it on two different days.

That's a silly question.

Time is finite. I'm not interested in the movie anyway, so I'd much rather spend my time watching something that I know am going to enjoy, like 2.5 Bergman films, rather than 1 film I may or may not like due to it being a part of the cinematic canon. There's a reason most movies are within a certain time frame, and studios will cut them down if they are too long.

But if I know I'll like something, I'm way more likely to give it time. Like Kurosawa. Or a Delillo or Wallace or Pynchon novel, as opposed to War and Peace.

I'm going to watch it eventually, but it's low on my queue because of its length, and because there are dozens of other movies I'd rather watch before it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Gone with the Wind owns, you blackhearted varmints.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

You aren't missing out on anything by not watching Gone with the Wind, even though there's almost 10 minutes of amazing film in it.

Also War and Peace is too short.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

You aren't missing out on anything by not watching Gone with the Wind, even though there's almost 10 minutes of amazing film in it.

Also War and Peace is too short.

War and Peace is weird because it has this reputation for being dense and difficult, when it's actually just a great story simply told. It's one of the most simply enjoyable and well-paced epics ever made.

AND HEY - SO IS GONE WITH THE WIND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

escape artist posted:

There's a reason Gone With the Wind is so popular despite it's length. That's because it's a good loving movie. It's worth the time, so much so that people re-watch it all the time and TV stations used to make events out of showing it.

As opposed to something like Cleopatra which is a terrible movie and no one watches it especially because of the length.

Just watch the loving movie.