Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nondevor posted:

Except GK is entirely worth it.

Not to get into that argument here but I find that they make reading TFR very...colourful.

And on the subject of worth let us not forget who we ultimately owe for these wonderful avatars.* I feel kind of crude for bringing it up but the thought did strike me as I was retrieving my CC to support our fine forums.

*The Avatar Fairy Tom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

QueerPope posted:

"Man, Eglamore gave me such a broner in this chapter. Not gay or anything."

So do all forest people just have those etheral forms all the time without blinker stones?

I think this will be explained in the next few pages, but probably. They're magical in nature, after all.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nondevor posted:

I think this will be explained in the next few pages, but probably. They're magical in nature, after all.

Yeah, I think all beings with a strong presence in the ether are like that. See the page shortly after Annie gets the blinker stone when she first sees Reynard's etheral form. Also Coyote and Ysengrin.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
You don't need a blinker stone to go all ethery, it just helps. Anja is probably derping around the ether all the time, plus there's the Crabs.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

You don't need a blinker stone to go all ethery, it just helps. Anja is probably derping around the ether all the time, plus there's the Crabs.

Right--they're used to focus your own ethereal talents, but you can do without one if you've got the hang of it. Seems like the kind of thing the forest people would learn early on, if they had to learn it at all.

also,

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

How do you do those speed line effects? I have an av I've been meaning to make forever.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aw, I always miss the avatar parties.

Well, the new page explains this one. Looks like faeries don't need to focus or anything to memorise things. Seems like Red also had a reson to take her hair seriously, what with everybody's ether-forms :v:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
So, if I want to make myself a Gunnerkrigg avatar, how do I go about it? Is it possible to just crop out the part of a comic I want anr resize it with MS paint, or does it require something more advanced?

And once I have secured suitable picture, I just pay my 5 bucks and upload it, I take it?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DekeThornton posted:

So, if I want to make myself a Gunnerkrigg avatar, how do I go about it? Is it possible to just crop out the part of a comic I want anr resize it with MS paint, or does it require something more advanced?

And once I have secured suitable picture, I just pay my 5 bucks and upload it, I take it?
Basically. A lot of the time avatars look nicer with a 1 pixel black border, if they're a square clipped from something.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Elysiume posted:

Basically. A lot of the time avatars look nicer with a 1 pixel black border, if they're a square clipped from something.

Cool. I'll get towork on it once I get home from work.:)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Also, avatar etiquette is to have it face your post, if that's something that makes sense for the avatar. See mine, BrainWeasel's, Zenzirouj's, Nondevor's, Queerpope's, etc.

I like them centered but that's just me. :toot:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Facing the post? That seems like it would take technical wizardry that is far beyond me. We'll see what I can accomplish.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DekeThornton posted:

Facing the post? That seems like it would take technical wizardry that is far beyond me. We'll see what I can accomplish.
1. Open MS Paint
2. Rotate -> Flip Horizontal
3. Save

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Sorcery!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The kids seem extremely shocked by her use of a Blinker Stone. Maybe even appalled. I wonder if they have something against them.

And damnit! I missed the awesome-avatar-giveaway!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
They seem more surprised than appalled, I think. I'm not sure what it is about the blinker stone that shocks them so much, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It might be like ethereal training wheels, for all we know.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's probably like seeing training wheels on a cyclist in Tour De France

oh great Bobulus stole my analogy. Way to go Bobulus you have set the tone for my entire day

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rumda posted:

Ok I love this one way too much Smitty and Parley are almost certainly two of my favourite characters.

Edit: now if only I had moneys :(

And now it is done thanks again guy.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Favorite part is the Greek chorus of :O going on in the lower right.

This is gonna be a fun chapter, at least until Tom pulls out that mood whiplash anyway.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I bet Annie is going to (forcibly) be taught how to go ethereal without a blinker stone - especially since she has that fire spirit heritage, she should be capable of doing that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I snatched up the all-seeing eye of Coyote, since no one else seems to want it. Maybe I will even start posting now that I have a cool avatar :).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Elysiume posted:

1. Open MS Paint
2. Rotate -> Flip Horizontal
3. Save

I wanted to do that with mine but it's too texty. :saddowns:

Also, speaking as someone whose first avatar was image-quality-murdered by MSPaint, take my advice and use Paint.NET instead. It's a much classier (and free!) program.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I love that everyone in Foley house's first reaction to Annie going to the Ethereal realm is to crowd around and grab her from every angle.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

DarklyDreaming posted:

I love that everyone in Foley house's first reaction to Annie going to the Ethereal realm is to crowd around and grab her from every angle.

She's ether-surfing.

Also, why do all the fairies talk like they're hailing a taxi on Flatbush Avenue?

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Ironic Twist posted:

She's ether-surfing.

Also, why do all the fairies talk like they're hailing a taxi on Flatbush Avenue?

Because they learned in the forest how to talk all proper nice like sorted! :downs: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=323

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oneiros posted:

Wow, is this going to be like the MLP avatar explosion in TFR?
The difference is that you guys are getting them because you like Gunnerkrigg. We got them because one guy got it as an insulting avatar, then another, then the floodgates opened. I swear there has been nearly $1000 spent on avatars like mine by now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

loquacius posted:

I wanted to do that with mine but it's too texty. :saddowns:

Also, speaking as someone whose first avatar was image-quality-murdered by MSPaint, take my advice and use Paint.NET instead. It's a much classier (and free!) program.
I think MSPaint is fine for bitmaps and pngs. Saving as a jpg or gif is a good way to get a garbled pile of pixels.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Started reading during in a migraine induced stupor last sunday. This is a pretty drat good comic, but I'm almost caught up. :(

I've been sneaking peaks at the latest updates, and noticed the art is a little different from where I am now (chapter 31), and I can't decide if I like it. I'll probably warm up to it.

I love the way he draws Antimony though.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Lord of Laughton posted:

I love the way he draws Antimony though.
It took me a while to make the connection that Antimony = Annie :downs:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Sharay posted:

It took me a while to make the connection that Antimony = Annie :downs:

Red haired child by the name of Annie with the power of a fire spirit and a supernatural animal companion who turns into a doll, huh?

You should sue for rights, Tom!

(I think I posted this before but it was in the League thread so that's ok right?) :ohdear:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Wow I can't believe I never noticed that before, I almost always play Annie in LoL. That's creepy.

To be fair the LoL annie is like 9 years old where as Antimony is 17 or so by this point right?

Edit: Tom you should draw more pages with Coyote in them so I can join the Cool Kids Coyote club.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 11, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Minrad posted:

Red haired child by the name of Annie with the power of a fire spirit and a supernatural animal companion who turns into a doll, huh?

You should sue for rights, Tom!

(I think I posted this before but it was in the League thread so that's ok right?) :ohdear:

Why would he want to associate himself with this travesty in any way whatsoever.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The Foley kids seem like a nice bunch. I like them.

Maybe Annie will learn how to go into the ether without a blinker stone if she hangs around these guys enough.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Nondevor posted:

The Foley kids seem like a nice bunch. I like them.

Maybe Annie will learn how to go into the ether without a blinker stone if she hangs around these guys enough.

If I recall correctly, Surma didn't even need a blinker stone at all when she was the court's medium, so I willing to bet Annie won't be needing it soon if the Foley kids help her out.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

If I recall correctly, Surma didn't even need a blinker stone at all when she was the court's medium, so I willing to bet Annie won't be needing it soon if the Foley kids help her out.

Couldn't Surma also levitate, or was that a dream sequence?

I'm going to need to reread a few chapters again.O woe is me.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Couldn't Surma also levitate, or was that a dream sequence?

I'm going to need to reread a few chapters again.O woe is me.

Yeah. I think Coyote said something about Annie being able to do the same at some point too.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Frome posted:

Yeah. I think Coyote said something about Annie being able to do the same at some point too.

Yeah, that was when Coyote was first teaching her how to influence the physical world from the etherial.

If I recall correctly the last time we saw Annie use her powers like that she was shoving a boat across the lake to the power station. Flying definitely is not out of the question.

<edit> and of course Jack was able to fly while under the influence of the whitelegs.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Phew...caught up now.

When Annie was in Zimmys hallucination, why was Gamma calling her Zimmy? Or is this an as-of-yet unexplained thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Lord of Laughton posted:

Phew...caught up now.

When Annie was in Zimmys hallucination, why was Gamma calling her Zimmy? Or is this an as-of-yet unexplained thing?

That was actually Zimmy. She'd imagined herself to be Annie, and Annie to be Zimmy.