Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
How the hell are you supposed to beat the Komakis? I can honestly say that that was the toughest fight I've ever had in any Yakuza game, and I completed them all. It honestly seems kind of impossible.

Sosuke was in his bullshit rage mode like 90% of the time and there was basically no way to avoid him since the fighting area is so small on top of having to evade the old man's attacks as well.

Dunban fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Dunban posted:

How the hell are you supposed to beat the Komakis? I can honestly say that that was the toughest fight I've ever had in any Yakuza game, and I completed them all. It honestly seems kind of impossible.

Kiryu can counter-kill them, Saejima is Saejima, Haruka's version is wonderful, for the other two, Danger Signs.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Oh right, I forgot that you can use weapons. I just bought a shotgun and blasted them both into submission.

That totally shows how much Kiryu has grown as a person and as a fighter and that he has surpassed his limits :haw:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Dunban posted:

I'm only halfway through his part, but is it ever explained where / how Shinada learned to fight?
He doesn't really know how to fight, though. His fighting style is just pure strength brawling with little technique. This is especially true when you just start off with him and he has few heat moves and all he has is just wild punches and tackles.

That also make his style really lackluster. I feel like Shinada should of been the first character you play as as going from the killing machines of Kiryuu, Saejima, and Akiyama to Shinada is really jarring.

Also, can someone tell me how Shinada is the "master of weapons"? Other than more heat moves (which are only flashier and don't really increase your damage output) he doesn't seem that different from the other characters using weapons. He gets those unbreakable weapons but the damage is so low that it's better to just use your fists.

I kind of wish Shinada's part had all the random encounters have enemies with actual weapons you can take from them which would make his part way more interesting. But as it is now, weapons aren't really practical because they're hard to come by randomly and are too expensive to actually buy and use, even with Shinada's durability boosts.

It doesn't help that Shinada replaced Tanimura who had a really cool and unique fighting style that was really fun to play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, one of the hostesses in Kiwami is lesbian...though I am 95% sure that's just the intro to a plotline to straighten her out. poo poo.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, one of the hostesses in Kiwami is lesbian...though I am 95% sure that's just the intro to a plotline to straighten her out. poo poo.

lol today I saw the bit about the Fire Emblem game where you drug a lesbian to make her straight and fall in love with the MC but that plotline was deemed too problematic for the west :kingsley:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That doesn't happen

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/21/nintendo-alters-controversial-fire-emblem-fates-scene

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

But no, there was no gay conversion ever in the game at all. You do slip a character a potion, which is lovely and stupid and could have been what was altered, but it's not to turn her straight. (I don't think she's even actually gay to begin with.) The rumor was spread by some person's blog and game journalists just sort of cited it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I've never played a fire emblem game in my life just going by what the article says

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Whatever you call it, it looks supremely idiotic in the worst anime way possible.

edit: I don't know much about the Fire Emblem series, but I thought it was a series with some class.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 22, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The Macaroni posted:

Question about Saejima's hunting missions: After a couple of tutorials, there's a mission where you're supposed to go find an injured man and the village leader (Nakima?) on the mountain. No matter what I do, Saejima collapses in the blizzard next to the injured man. Is there a way to succeed at this, or is it a 100% fail that just leads to the other missions?
There's a pretty good Japanese TV drama about the granddaughter of a yakuza leader who decides to become a schoolteacher. Now that I think about it, it's a lot like a Kiryu side story mission.

Edit: The lead actress is Yukie Nakama, who is pretty cute but has spent most of her career in roles where she's supposed to be "ugly" or plain. Kind of like how a Western actress puts on glasses and ties her hair up in a bun, then suddenly she's the least attractive character in the universe.

Gokusen.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are there still hostess dates, or is that replaced with Majima's hostess minigame?

More importantly, if it's the latter, is there still Pretty Hostess Dressup?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

Are there still hostess dates, or is that replaced with Majima's hostess minigame?

More importantly, if it's the latter, is there still Pretty Hostess Dressup?
Yeah, it seems to be back to the standard hostess deal, and no dressup. So far the game is fairly close to the original other than all the combat and such improvements.

Surprisingly, slot car racing was brought over from Zero.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, it seems to be back to the standard hostess deal, and no dressup. So far the game is fairly close to the original other than all the combat and such improvements.

Surprisingly, slot car racing was brought over from Zero.

Does the normal battle theme still exhort you to ~get funky~

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Saoshyant posted:

Get this stuff right, you baka gaijin.

I'm totally ok with Majima being bugs bunny.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm pretty sure you don't even fight hostess Majima, I think you actually need to date him all the way through. Or at least I saw a picture like that, maybe it was a cutscene.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I've never played a fire emblem game in my life just going by what the article says

What happens in FE: Fates is incredibly stupid and poorly written and I'm not sad to see it gone, but there is no gay conversion. The girl in question is heterosexual. The whole mess occurred after someone's blog completely misinterpreted the character into being lesbian as well as what happens during the supports with her and then gaming journalists just ran wild with it without doing fact checking.

It wouldn't even make any sense for there to be gay conversion since Fire Emblem: Fates is the one game in the series that allows same-sex marriages and having both in the game would be really dumb.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What happens in FE: Fates is incredibly stupid and poorly written and I'm not sad to see it gone, but there is no gay conversion. The girl in question is heterosexual. The whole mess occurred after someone's blog completely misinterpreted the character into being lesbian as well as what happens during the supports with her and then gaming journalists just ran wild with it without doing fact checking.

It wouldn't even make any sense for there to be gay conversion since Fire Emblem: Fates is the one game in the series that allows same-sex marriages and having both in the game would be really dumb.
Honestly it sounds about as bad as the writing for Saejima's murder shenanigans in 4, just in a different way.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly it sounds about as bad as the writing for Saejima's murder shenanigans in 4, just in a different way.

It pretty much is, since she even acts like that around her own mother. It's really weird and I still don't like that the protagonist basically spiked her drink as part of that weird subplot, but there's no gay conversion.

Although now I want to see a Fire Emblem game where the main villain is the the very first enemy unit in the game and he survives because you were given a rubber sword.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm starting to wonder if this lesbian hostess thing is going to end okay after all. Kiryu always has at least one conversation choice that is supportive of homosexuality, which is all the more amazing since he's been out of the world for ten years.

Edit: and of course, he's from a world that only occasionally recognizes women as people in the first place.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 22, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is there any noticeable story differences from the first game in what you've played so far? The trailers seemed to put greater emphasis on Nishkiyama and I'm curious to know what got added.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is there any noticeable story differences from the first game in what you've played so far? The trailers seemed to put greater emphasis on Nishkiyama and I'm curious to know what got added.
Yeah, there's been some interesting stuff about him dealing with the fact that people just consider him a placeholder for Kiryu. It's just cutscenes so far though and doesn't interact with Kiryu's actions yet.

edit: he gets poo poo on so, so bad from every direction for letting Kiryu go to prison to protect his sorry rear end. Even Kashiwagi whispers under his breath "if Kiryu was here instead of you, this wouldn't have happened...". It's no longer any shred of a mystery how he got so twisted.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm watching a stream for Kiwami right now. It looks so different and familiar at the same time. I want it. I want it right now.

I want all the games. :(

I really hope they end up doing a remake of 2 after this. That would be so amazing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had forgotten that a lot of 1's main story is vignettes with the various supporting characters, when that would be sub-story stuff in the newer games. I'm doing Date's reunion with his daughter now, and same as before, I found myself wondering why the hell Kiryu is giving his daughter so much poo poo when she's absolutely right; he's an absent father who only ever shows up in absolute emergencies.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 23, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I found this rather nicely in depth review of Kiwami. It seems to be a bit pessimistic but mostly in regards to coming over from Zero and the combat changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCL5jge2DQY

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
The wait for my copy of Kiwami in the mail is killing me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yakuza 6 stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNuB756MxU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Man look at all those colours! And those seamless transitions!
Wish there was a bit more heat actions than that punch rush though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

^It's a demo.

Also,

sexy sliding doors. May be NWS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope you can kick a dude into the shop like that

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope you can kick a dude into the shop like that

First hour of the game will be spent trying to knock a guy out in just the right spot so the doors keep trying to close on his head.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Crappy Jack posted:

First hour of the game will be spent trying to knock a guy out in just the right spot so the doors keep trying to close on his head.

Then step over him and casually go read some magazines while the door continues to close on his head.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Crappy Jack posted:

I really hope that this is a heat action in the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

I really hope that this is a heat action in the game.
I feel like they have been resting on their laurels for a long time with heat actions. They have new ones every time but the ones that have been in the game since the beginning are still the best I think, followed by the revelation-based ones that are now gone from the series I guess.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do we know Yakuza 6's roster of playable characters yet? Obviously Kiryu is in, I assume Akiyama will still be around bankrolling everybody. I'd like to see another Haruka chapter, but really I feel Saejima could be skipped this time around. Give us Baba as playable with Saejima as his mentor figure, he's got cool moves. I'd love to see Shinada come back in some fashion too.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel like they have been resting on their laurels for a long time with heat actions. They have new ones every time but the ones that have been in the game since the beginning are still the best I think, followed by the revelation-based ones that are now gone from the series I guess.

On the other hand, Essence of Bike Riding.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Do we know Yakuza 6's roster of playable characters yet? Obviously Kiryu is in, I assume Akiyama will still be around bankrolling everybody. I'd like to see another Haruka chapter, but really I feel Saejima could be skipped this time around. Give us Baba as playable with Saejima as his mentor figure, he's got cool moves. I'd love to see Shinada come back in some fashion too.

Do we even know for sure that there's multiple characters this time? I mean, I assume so, but I've also not actually seen anything official one way or the other.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I honestly hope they return to just Kiryu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I want Takaeshi playable

• Locked thread