Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moto G5 is $250 if that helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

shadow puppet of a posted:

If anyone else is a bottom-feeding Chatr Wireless prepaid customer like me there is apparently this deal just for the likes of us (and Fido Prepaid as well):

The offer allegedly expires on Dec 31st. True to my bottom-feeding status I'm going to try and get that $40 plan and weasel out of paying for a sim and the account activation fee.

You broke my heart Public Mobile, with your total absence of end of year deals.

They broke your heart, but won mine

e: if it isn't clear, they are crediting me $47 per 90d to use their service. This account pays nothing

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 31, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't remember what it was for, but I needed (specifically) a phone bill for proof of identity on something and Public Mobile not issuing any form of statement or even a transaction history with my name/number on it was a minor problem I worked around by providing a then 5-6 month old statement from my previous provider.

I've had prepaid service a couple times previously and I still got statements from it - is this unique to Public Mobile? Alternately, do actual statements exist and I just failed to find them?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You can allegedly obtain statements from mods on the community forum, but Ive never had any success with that.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Risky Bisquick posted:

They broke your heart, but won mine

e: if it isn't clear, they are crediting me $47 per 90d to use their service. This account pays nothing
You should think about getting into MLMs and crushing the upline race, you've clearly got the chops when it comes to referral hustling. I bet you could form a team to push scented candles and spa packages like nobodys business.

A surprising plus for Rogers for me is that this data is full LTE and not PubMo's shameful artificial 3G service for low-dollar accounts. I've got double the upload speed on my phone than I do through a cable modem.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm trying to figure out how much I actually use visual voice mail to warrant the extra $2/mo. It usually doesn't translate the most important details of the message so I end up listening to it anyways.

It's not included in the $60/10GB plan from Koodo and comes up as an add-on.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The point is that you dont have to dial in to voicemail and use a stupid touch tone system to listen to poo poo in order with no rewind, not relying on the idiotic transcription service. Thats Google or Apple doing it btw not Koodo.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Oh poo poo. Then it's definitely worth it. I thought it was only the transcribing service. Guess I took it for granted.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

More bullshit: after randomly cancelling two pixel 2 xl orders with no notice and forcing my wife and I to find phones in a store on release day, Rogers said they couldn't refund the $900 in extra phone hardware charges and we should just do a visa chargeback. So I did, after being assured that there would be no repercussions (companies like Google, Sony and MS will blacklist you for life if you chargeback), and they just charged me $25 for the pleasure of doing so on the latest bill. Unbelievable.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Call straight into retention. First line customer service rep that picks up just politely ask to be transferred to retention as this is a retention level issue.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Calling Rogers to ask them to opt out of receiving their sales calls and customer surveys is apparently now a task that requires being placed on hold three times as my Francophone customer support agent comes back each time sounding more harried and frazzled, begging my patience.

I fear they are flogging him against a mast for even asking his supervisor how to make such a change to my account.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wirth1000 posted:

Call straight into retention. First line customer service rep that picks up just politely ask to be transferred to retention as this is a retention level issue.

I didn't get any resistance from the first rep and it's been reversed, but I am so sick of their on-hold music.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I didn't get any resistance from the first rep and it's been reversed, but I am so sick of their on-hold music.

It is the worst.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to have issues with my Nexus 6 (Charging via the Q charger and the usb is becoming finicky) What would be a comparable phone that is more recent and will take Oreo? I have been doing some research, but I'm discomboobilated.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 12, 2018

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
One hundred loving percent a Pixel phone. If you want the size, a Pixel XL.

Seriously, holy gently caress, if camera is a huge priority for it as it is with me then this is literally the best camera I have ever used. I actually get it now with all those reviews and benchmarks straight up saying the Pixel XL's camera is the greatest ever. No idea about the Pixel 2s and all that.

Plus, Pixel is the successor to the Nexus so it's all hardware mandated by Google so you always get the latest OS updates/security patches as they come out for up to 2/3 years I believe from the phone's launch date so my Pixel is on the latest version of Oreo.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just picked up an Essential Phone from Telus, heard people have had some issues with it but it seems like Rubin's company is actively patching it fairly well and I'm tired of my iPhone 6 with a broke rear end charging port these days. And wanted to get in while Telus has the deal going where they add 2 gigs to whatever data plan you choose on an upgrade until January 15th.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

One hundred loving percent a Pixel phone. If you want the size, a Pixel XL.

Seriously, holy gently caress, if camera is a huge priority for it as it is with me then this is literally the best camera I have ever used. I actually get it now with all those reviews and benchmarks straight up saying the Pixel XL's camera is the greatest ever. No idea about the Pixel 2s and all that.

Plus, Pixel is the successor to the Nexus so it's all hardware mandated by Google so you always get the latest OS updates/security patches as they come out for up to 2/3 years I believe from the phone's launch date so my Pixel is on the latest version of Oreo.
If the Pixel support was a selling feature here is the guaranteed dates from Google. It's probably the best support you'll get on Android.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
And even past the guaranteed date Google is still pretty good about pushing out latest updates/security patches for quite a while.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

If the Pixel support was a selling feature here is the guaranteed dates from Google. It's probably the best support you'll get on Android.

A Pixel 2 is. Pixel 1 has less than 10 months left of promised updates as of now. A Pixel 2 has another almost 3 years.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The Pixel will still get security updates to 2019, just not feature ones. Might still be good deal, depending on price. Otherwise yeah Pixel 2 is basically a year after those dates.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Essential is pretty nice, I've had it for 2 months now. Only downsides are; 1) Camera is not great in low light and 2) Goddamn the glass scratches easily, I already have a bunch of scratches around the top front camera and the edges. Get a screen protector.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Essential is pretty nice, I've had it for 2 months now. Only downsides are; 1) Camera is not great in low light and 2) Goddamn the glass scratches easily, I already have a bunch of scratches around the top front camera and the edges. Get a screen protector.

Lots of articles about how laggy, buggy, and crashy it is (is this your experience?), only sold 50k units and flooded with price drops so I'd be shocked if it's supported long term, and Andy Rubin already has stepped aside. Not sure if this phone is a good idea.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lots of articles about how laggy, buggy, and crashy it is (is this your experience?), only sold 50k units and flooded with price drops so I'd be shocked if it's supported long term, and Andy Rubin already has stepped aside. Not sure if this phone is a good idea.

Rubin returned to Essential on Dec 9th after a weeks leave, so he's definitely back with the company. I just like that they do a bi weekly support AMA with their community, I like to get in on these smaller phones often. I loved my Palm Pre back in the day too. And apparently a lot of people are reporting a lot of the major issues in the phone are taken care of in the Oreo beta they're currently running. But yeah I mostly got in because it was cheap. $0 with a minimum contract of $75/month. The S8s and the Pixel 2s want a minimum contract of $95 right now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's a few weird quirks with it, how the bluetooth shuts itself down (which is a little annoying because I stop getting notifications on my fitbit). I'm interested to see what Oreo does to it, but I figure if I get a year out of it that's not bad for the price, and I'll get a Pixel next time around.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Umm Rogers just sent "just me" a deal saying I can get 10 gifs shared between two accounts for $140... Is that uh... good?

My wife is always on wifi so I could use all of it, but how did that $90 deal work with two people? Would it have been $180?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I can get 10 gifs shared between two accounts for $140

Please make this the new thread title.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Omg yes

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Freedom Mobile is only $10 per GIF but you can only get signal in a field in Etobicoke

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It depends how old the gifs are. If it's new poo poo like the blinking white guy, then it might be worth it, but if it's like numa numa or something it's a crappy deal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's Rogers, so it'll only be sports highlights for the Toronto teams.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pivo posted:

Freedom Mobile is only $10 per GIF but you can only get signal in a field in Etobicoke

Freedom's network is only for "Jiffs"

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

Do it

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Freedom's network is only for "Jiffs"

All of the networks are for jiffs :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

God drat autocorrect

But no seriously how did that 10gig deal work if you had a partner.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

But no seriously how did that 10gig deal work if you had a partner.

It was a $60 deal not $90 and the people I know with group plans decided to just get individual plans instead, I'm guessing whether they allowed you to share the plan would be dependent on the carrier and your status with them ...

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah the $60 plan was listed specifically as not being a shared plan when I checked.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pivo posted:

It was a $60 deal not $90 and the people I know with group plans decided to just get individual plans instead, I'm guessing whether they allowed you to share the plan would be dependent on the carrier and your status with them ...

Thanks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Heads up if you're dumb enough to still be a Bell customer

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/23/small-subset-bell-customers-information-illegally-accessed/

quote:

According to a Bell spokesperson who spoke with MobileSyrup via email, hackers were able to access the account numbers, telephone numbers, email addresses and usernames of fewer than 100,000 customers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Because the first thing they do if you close your account is wipe all information they have on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Thank god I'm with BellMTS