Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Best behaved Noodler's black is Borealis, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GoldenNugget posted:

I like noodler's bulletproof but I'm finding it a bit too wet. I also don't always have the choice of paper I would like to write on. Is heart of darkness good? What are other good quick drying black inks? I guess it can be whatever shade of black as long as it's black.

You can try diluting your Noodler's 2:1 with water, distilled preferably. It'll increase the surface tension and make the ink less "wet".

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kessel posted:

Best behaved Noodler's black is Borealis, probably.

Seconding Noodler's Borealis Black. It's a quick-drying ink and easily the blackest black I've seen. It's my workhorse ink, mostly because I'm too lazy to swap inks.

E: Are Diamine inks generally well behaved? All this inkchat is making me want to buy a bunch of samples to play around with...

E2: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PRETTY DARK BLUE INKS

Solumin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 4, 2015

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

atholbrose posted:

I have to be the voice of dissent: Noodler's 54th Massachusetts is a problematic ink: smelly, inconsistent flow-wise and prone to drying in nibs. It's too bad because I really like the color. (I also wouldn't say that it leans towards black as much as grey.)

I have had 54th in an eyed ripper preppy since Goulet was giving them away, I only use it to write checks once a month or less, and I've never even had a hard start from it. I don't have to lick the nib or anything first either, just uncap and write. YMMV, of course, but it has always been my best-behaved combo.

GoldenNugget posted:

I like noodler's bulletproof but I'm finding it a bit too wet. I also don't always have the choice of paper I would like to write on. Is heart of darkness good? What are other good quick drying black inks? I guess it can be whatever shade of black as long as it's black.

I have Heart of Darkness in another eyedropper preppy, and I used it a lot when doing chart notes. I never really had problems with it. It's a very nice, very dark, very permanent ink.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Solumin posted:

This is how it begins. First you get some pretty inks, then you need some new pens to use those inks, then some accessories, then some more inks... :retrogames:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

milpreve posted:

I have had 54th in an eyed ripper preppy since Goulet was giving them away, I only use it to write checks once a month or less, and I've never even had a hard start from it. I don't have to lick the nib or anything first either, just uncap and write. YMMV, of course, but it has always been my best-behaved combo.
I tried it in three different pens. One, the Jinhao, has proven problematic no matter what is in it, and now is in the roll with the pens I am unlikely to use again, but the other two have not had issues with any other ink.

Solumin posted:

E: Are Diamine inks generally well behaved? All this inkchat is making me want to buy a bunch of samples to play around with...
I have only ever had problems with one Diamine ink -- Green-Black just seems weird, flow-wise. Otherwise, Diamine has been very nice., and is definitely the ink we have the most of in the house. (Well, I mean, look how many colors there are!)

And there are so many pretty dark blues so that those of us who rarely if ever use bright inks have enough variety in our lives.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mikl posted:

This is how it begins. First you get some pretty inks, then you need some new pens to use those inks, then some accessories, then some more inks... :retrogames:

My poor wallet :gonk:

Actually, I guess it's not that bad... Pilot Metros are cheap enough that you can pick up a couple to play around with, and the Goulet ink samples let you try different inks without spending too much.

atholbrose posted:

I have only ever had problems with one Diamine ink -- Green-Black just seems weird, flow-wise. Otherwise, Diamine has been very nice., and is definitely the ink we have the most of in the house. (Well, I mean, look how many colors there are!)

And there are so many pretty dark blues so that those of us who rarely if ever use bright inks have enough variety in our lives.

I love dark, bold colors, but I've only used Noodler's Borealis Black. Maybe I'll pick out a nice blue, or blue-black... or green... or purple.

The only thing I could wish for is a good, permanent dark red -- a burgundy. But even Noodler only offers bright bulletproof reds.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm getting the pen itch again. I have a demonstrator Konrad that I use to try out new inks and for anything that's a little exotic since it's the easiest thing I have to dismantle and clean. I stained it pretty bad trying out some highlighter ink though, so I'm trying to decide if I should just get another one or if there would be something else in that ~$20 range that would be better. I don't like huge pens so I don't want anything larger than the Konrad, it needs to take #6 nibs because I already have 3 of them, and I'm going to put stuff like Stormy Grey and Rouge Hematite in it so being easy to dismantle is required. My only major issue with the Konrad is that it is my worst pen for drying out. If I leave ink in it, it's pretty much bone dry after a week or so and that's really annoying. Using it is pretty much a race against evaporation so I only ink it when I'm planning to write with it daily, and that's the main reason I hesitate to get another one.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I don't think I saw this mentioned in the thread so far. The original formulation of Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses has returned!

I've never used it, but I remember it is/was a beloved color. I've added a sample to quickly-growing wishlist.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Solumin posted:

I don't think I saw this mentioned in the thread so far. The original formulation of Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses has returned!

I've never used it, but I remember it is/was a beloved color. I've added a sample to quickly-growing wishlist.
It is a beautiful color. I'd recommend something that will get the shading out, I use it mostly in stub nibs and it's such a pretty, interesting ink. Great to write thank you notes/cards/letters with as well, because everyone is amazed at the color.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm getting the pen itch again. I have a demonstrator Konrad that I use to try out new inks and for anything that's a little exotic since it's the easiest thing I have to dismantle and clean. I stained it pretty bad trying out some highlighter ink though, so I'm trying to decide if I should just get another one or if there would be something else in that ~$20 range that would be better. I don't like huge pens so I don't want anything larger than the Konrad, it needs to take #6 nibs because I already have 3 of them, and I'm going to put stuff like Stormy Grey and Rouge Hematite in it so being easy to dismantle is required. My only major issue with the Konrad is that it is my worst pen for drying out. If I leave ink in it, it's pretty much bone dry after a week or so and that's really annoying. Using it is pretty much a race against evaporation so I only ink it when I'm planning to write with it daily, and that's the main reason I hesitate to get another one.

I've been much happier than I expected with my Jinhao x750. It was <$10, takes #6 nibs, has a lovely converter but accepts any standard international converter. All the bits are pressure fit, so it's easy to pop the nib and feed out to clean them thoroughly. It's a bit bigger than the Konrad, almost exactly the same size as my Ahab; I had bought it to replace the Ahab I was using for all of my hard to clean inks that you mentioned. It is significantly heavier than a Konrad, being a metal body. It also has a knock off of Platinum's slip n' seal cap that they use in the Preppy and the 3776 so it doesn't dry out at all. I'd be happier with an ebonite feed than the plastic one that it has, but for a cheap Chinese frankenpen it's hard to feel too bad about it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
All of that sounds good except the big and heavy part. I have a hard time writing with my copper Hero 395 very long because of the weight and it is a fairly small pen so I don't think I could use something that big with a metal body.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
A couple of other things to consider too, there's the Super 5 at $28. Nib is comparable in size to Metropolitan nib, but they don't interchange with Pilot pens. It's a unique untipped .5mm calligraphy stub, and a lot of fun to write with. Nib and feed are pressure fit and easy to clean, section is metal but the barrell and cap are plastic, overall almost the same dimensions as my Metro.

Next, you could just get a Plumix ($9) for the italic nib, which is interchangeable on the Metro. If you use the squeeze converters you can just rinse them and then swab them out with a Q-tip, and Metro nibs and feeds are pressure fit for easy cleaning.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Solumin posted:

The only thing I could wish for is a good, permanent dark red -- a burgundy. But even Noodler only offers bright bulletproof reds.

Noodler's has a black red that is nice. Looks kind of like dark blood (making messy fills look like a murder scene).

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Solumin posted:

YESSSSSSSSS MY DAY TO DAY WORKHORSE HAS RETURNED

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

rio posted:

Noodler's has a black red that is nice. Looks kind of like dark blood (making messy fills look like a murder scene).

I forgot about that one. Isn't it literally Noodler's Black + Noodler's Red? And since Noodler's Red isn't bulletproof but Noodler's Black is, the Red-Black just turns into regular Black if it gets wet?
Eh, I'll throw a sample in and try it out. I mostly want it for grading papers, and I'm not doing that any time soon.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hmmmm...I can get a used TWSBI Classic from isellpens for $35 (or $40 for a stub). Won't take my spare #6 nibs and is a little more than I wanted to pay but that seems like a good price and would mean not gambling on trying to make another Noodler's pen work. I'm halfway considering trying out the Ahab though because I forgot you can make them into eyedroppers and 6ml of Stormy Grey sloshing around in a big fat clear pen is kind of appealing (provided it didn't end up everywhere lol). I do really want either a clear ink window or a full-on demonstrator because if I'm using a fun ink I want to see it and that's the purpose of my Konrad currently which is why the staining is a bummer. I'm going to try a stronger ammonia soak before I completely give up on it though.

RE: Plumix/Super 5 - if that suggestion was for me I'm kinda looking for something to use these #6 nibs in specifically but hadn't looked at the Super 5 before, that's pretty neat. I do need to get another Plumix though because I dropped my Metro point down and pretty much destroyed the last one and having to use the default M nib is killing my soul a bit.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
e: The other pen suggestions were for you, just as alternatives. I've got a clear Ahab that lost its converter and has had its o-ring replaced with a standard #60 o-ring. The o-ring is thicker than what it comes with, so the cap takes a little bit more oomph to get on. It's got a standard Noodler's flex nib in it right now. If you want it you can have it, I'm not a big fan of eyedroppers anyway.

My pen from fountain pen revolution came!

I ordered a spare flex nib and feed, and they sent it by sticking it in a Camlin 21r. Which was really nice of them! TWSBI mini for size comparison in there.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 5, 2015

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

A couple of other things to consider too, there's the Super 5 at $28. Nib is comparable in size to Metropolitan nib, but they don't interchange with Pilot pens. It's a unique untipped .5mm calligraphy stub, and a lot of fun to write with. Nib and feed are pressure fit and easy to clean, section is metal but the barrell and cap are plastic, overall almost the same dimensions as my Metro.

Oh sweet, I really love italic nibs and a 0.5 nib would rock.

Anyone have any suggestions for thin italic nibs I could throw into a TWSBI 580 or 700? The stock 1.1 is way too thick and, while they write okay on Rhodia/Clairefontaine paper, grinding them down has resulted in scratchy nibs on most surfaces.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

Oh sweet, I really love italic nibs and a 0.5 nib would rock.

Anyone have any suggestions for thin italic nibs I could throw into a TWSBI 580 or 700? The stock 1.1 is way too thick and, while they write okay on Rhodia/Clairefontaine paper, grinding them down has resulted in scratchy nibs on most surfaces.

I suggest the Pilot 78G as IIRC it's .7 mm or finer CI stock nib under B. Small stubs and CI are uncommon as they show less line variation which is prefered for calligraphy. The Pilot Parallel has a .5 italic nib too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

I've got a clear Ahab that lost its converter and has had its o-ring replaced with a standard #60 o-ring. The o-ring is thicker than what it comes with, so the cap takes a little bit more oomph to get on. It's got a standard Noodler's flex nib in it right now. If you want it you can have it, I'm not a big fan of eyedroppers anyway.

That would be pretty awesome actually, I am definitely interested if you want to unload it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Everything Burrito posted:

That would be pretty awesome actually, I am definitely interested if you want to unload it.

Sure thing. Email me at [REDACTED] with your address and I'll get it in the mail probably this Saturday.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 5, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

Sure thing. Email me at **** with your address and I'll get it in the mail probably this Saturday.

Email sent if you want to remove that. Thanks!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

lkV2qNt2zGZHQSjPox5L
2bFF4dUF7qIJZcaLpFrt
jDSr6FnJ71M3L5S6GAb0
PfTqurML4KQvJE0r3WYO
PlHv73TXfPU8JM7qmf9q
rOaUcHPGUL7TNbskOlZd
P0JjYyG7zYTehwgUV4rq
BOdTDiUaewJfydS7YCTS
HsvxpwJKuZdMWwMB1oZx
2Ze1YnMmqvuDzHvNtG34

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 28, 2023

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zero Gravitas posted:

Can I join the Diamine love train? Recently I rediscovered my fountain pens and I've been using them just as heavily as I ever did, including the same Parker Vector that I've been using for so long its nib is polished to the point its like writing with a brush. Some of my inks didnt survive so I got some Diamine Asa Blue thats been turning out to be a fantastic shade and I can heartily recommend it. Otherwise to add to the previous red ink discussion, it might just be because my bottle is something like five years old now, but my red parker quink is bright red liquid drying to a nice dark shade.

I had a nice surprise today - turns out someone in the UK has managed to get their hands on some old Platignum No. 5 pens from their relaunch in 2012 or so - the original versions in black and chrome instead of the cheaper (and more childish) bright colour versions marketed as the No.5 Studio. I loving love these pens. Theyre cheap, but pretty solid writers and have a fantastic art deco styling. Ive bought two from the amazon retailer to replace my old one since its been bashed around quite a bit so the end cap of the barrel falls out occasionally.

EDIT:

Look at this sexiness:

:flashfap:

EDIT2 : The image in my last post is even sexier. I loving love these pens. If I wasnt so poor I would legit buy like ten at once to use.

You might like some of the older Esterbrooks if you like that art deco styling.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm looking for recommendations for a new pen with a fine nib. I'm not quite ready to spend $150+ on a writing implement, but I'm wanting something beyond entry level. While I like the feel and durability of the Lamy Safari and Al Star, even the EF nib is a bit too wide for my tastes. I've been writing with the Hero 9296 with a 0.38mm nib for a month or so and quite like it, even though it can be slightly scratchy. Can anybody make any suggestions? I'm open to experimentation.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a new pen with a fine nib. I'm not quite ready to spend $150+ on a writing implement, but I'm wanting something beyond entry level. While I like the feel and durability of the Lamy Safari and Al Star, even the EF nib is a bit too wide for my tastes. I've been writing with the Hero 9296 with a 0.38mm nib for a month or so and quite like it, even though it can be slightly scratchy. Can anybody make any suggestions? I'm open to experimentation.

This was posted a while back in the thread, and it's quite useful:

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

You could get a Metro with an F nib, which is slightly finer than the nib you're currently using (.35 mm versus .38 mm). Or, if you want to go finer, you can get a Pilot Penmanship which has a .2 mm EF nib, and swap that into a Metro or a Prera (since the Penmanship sucks, except for the nib).

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
I don't see any TWSBI on the chart, but the VAC-700 I got in EF is VERY fine. I don't have much to compare it to, but it's very fine, very smooth, writes nice and holds a poo poo ton of ink.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rigeek posted:

I don't see any TWSBI on the chart, but the VAC-700 I got in EF is VERY fine. I don't have much to compare it to, but it's very fine, very smooth, writes nice and holds a poo poo ton of ink.

Depending on when you bought it, a twsbi will have a bock or jowo nib.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Mikl posted:

You could get a Metro with an F nib, which is slightly finer than the nib you're currently using (.35 mm versus .38 mm). Or, if you want to go finer, you can get a Pilot Penmanship which has a .2 mm EF nib, and swap that into a Metro or a Prera (since the Penmanship sucks, except for the nib).

I have a Metro with a F nib on the way, as well as a Penmanship with an EF to cannibalise. I'll try it with the F nib first, then switch it out if I feel the need for something I can perform brain surgery with.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Things I learned today: The cap on a bottle of Faber-Castell is actually two parts, a silver cap piece that's secured to the actual rubber cap with glue. So if you tighten the cap down like a gorilla (guilty!) you can actually wrench the veneer piece off trying to open it and wind up feeling extremely stupid.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Depending on when you bought it, a twsbi will have a bock or jowo nib.

Bought it from Goulet about a month ago.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

kVdIbRsRsTIrl6jsk66B
0A7hYveVwEORw0gJrVel
PAgAkDt15n2EIZsHyEFF
S77TU6Rvdg62dtsIb07o
OIgWk3e5w2twszaS56dX
7eiH0eaYTOceHXQZuv8J
tgruSW6i5BjpQNcqj8Cy
p6Nhp77NPEQL0JgqxiMQ
q8FHpTksPaK6ATFvaCnT
HCS9wz7k1OZi1qL0E02O

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 28, 2023

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rigeek posted:

Bought it from Goulet about a month ago.

They swapped over to jowo over a year ago.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't really need more pens than I have -- I have around half a dozen, I write with them daily but just keep one inked at a time -- but I'm eyeing some low-end pens and thinking about picking them up. I'm not particularly demanding of my pens, but I want them to 1. start easily, 2. have converters, and 3. not leak. A few questions:

• The Ohto F-Spirit looks neat to me. Apparently a converter exists, or did, but Jetpens doesn't have it and neither does Amazon. Is it out of production? Is there an alternative I can use? I have Lamy, Pilot (small), and Nemosine converters if any of those will fit. Alternately, are Ohto's pens crap? Lots of negative reviews from randos around the Internet, but good ones on JetPens.

• Sailors look nice and I hear so many good things. But a lot of them are crazy expensive, at least to me. Will something low-end like the HighAce Neo or the Clear Candy write well? I'm not so fussed about the looks, even the HighAce Neo looks nice to me.

• Anything else I ought to be looking at in the < $30 range or so? I was looking at the Platinum Plaisir, but reviews on JetPens aren't very good.

Right now I have a Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera, Pilot Cavalier, Nemosine Fission*, and Waterford Kilbarry Edge.

* I'm so impressed by this pen. It's pretty cheap and it writes so well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

guppy posted:

I don't really need more pens than I have -- I have around half a dozen, I write with them daily but just keep one inked at a time -- but I'm eyeing some low-end pens and thinking about picking them up. I'm not particularly demanding of my pens, but I want them to 1. start easily, 2. have converters, and 3. not leak. A few questions:

• The Ohto F-Spirit looks neat to me. Apparently a converter exists, or did, but Jetpens doesn't have it and neither does Amazon. Is it out of production? Is there an alternative I can use? I have Lamy, Pilot (small), and Nemosine converters if any of those will fit. Alternately, are Ohto's pens crap? Lots of negative reviews from randos around the Internet, but good ones on JetPens.

• Sailors look nice and I hear so many good things. But a lot of them are crazy expensive, at least to me. Will something low-end like the HighAce Neo or the Clear Candy write well? I'm not so fussed about the looks, even the HighAce Neo looks nice to me.

• Anything else I ought to be looking at in the < $30 range or so? I was looking at the Platinum Plaisir, but reviews on JetPens aren't very good.

Right now I have a Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera, Pilot Cavalier, Nemosine Fission*, and Waterford Kilbarry Edge.

* I'm so impressed by this pen. It's pretty cheap and it writes so well.

Ohto pens are awesome, I have three and they all write well. Ohto pens use international standard converters so your Nemosine should work fine. I'd suggest the Dude over the F-Lapa, it's better made and extremely well balanced. You could also look at the Ohto Rook, Ohto Tasche or Kaweco Sport if you to try a smaller pen.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 10, 2015

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

guppy posted:

I was not impressed at all with my Ohto Rook -- pretty much a waste of the money, as it wouldn't feed ink correctly. This keeps me from wanting to try another. The Plaisir uses the same nib and feed as the Preppy, and I am not a big fan of the Preppy.

The Clear Candy is a $16 nib in a $50 plastic body. The nib writes great, but the pen is so light it feels like it might float away. I'm not super-bothered by it, but on the other hand, I haven't had mine inked for months.

Other things to look at:

As the thread title says, a Pilot Metropolitan. A nice, solid-feeling pen with a wonderful nib, and it comes with a converter. $2 less than the Clear Candy. I'm a bit surprised you don't have one and aren't considering it. Likewise, the Pilot Kakuno is a very interesting pen, and I really like the color schemes and smiling nibs, but I understand how that's not for everyone, and they don't come with converters.

Kaweco Sports are nice little pens, tiny when capped, strong enough to be a pocket pen (unless you get one of the scratchable metal finishes that isn't meant to be scratched), and write very pleasantly. There is a converter but the amount of ink it holds is a bit of a joke.

It's a little out of your price range at, like, $42, but the Platinum Balance/Cool (check Pen Chalet or Goulet) is a very sweet little pen.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

atholbrose posted:

I was not impressed at all with my Ohto Rook -- pretty much a waste of the money, as it wouldn't feed ink correctly. This keeps me from wanting to try another. The Plaisir uses the same nib and feed as the Preppy, and I am not a big fan of the Preppy.

Did you give it a clear out before starting out? I've had plenty of pens that've been right little swines until they've been cleaned.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kerbtree posted:

Did you give it a clear out before starting out? I've had plenty of pens that've been right little swines until they've been cleaned.

Yep. I'm going to try one more time, complete flush, inked with a different cart, and then declare it a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I got an ahab in the mail yesterday, along with a bunch of ink samples, some rhodia books, and a filofax. It's pretty awesome so far, and I like that it came with a non flex nib as a backup. Now to not buy any more pens for a little while...