Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RNG posted:

Stolen from the China.jpg thread, a history of the Milwaukee protocol, the only post-exposure, non-vaccine treatment for rabies, which involves a medically induced coma until your brain stops trying to kill you: http://www.wired.com/2012/07/ff_rabies/

But what makes it unnerving (again) is that it might not work at all, and you're still more or less hosed if you're bit by a rabid animal.

And also that there is apparently some mysterious spontaneous remission of rabies that happens in some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

... it’s just less scary if the solution is ’Don’t piss those guys off’ instead of ’The hiring process to attain these levels of authority is severely lacking and they screw up at their work as often as you do at your own.’

You just stumbled on the reason why conspiracy theories are so pervasive. A group of people orchestrating and instigating heinous events for undisclosed or hidden reasons imposes order on chaos and gives a target to outrage and fear. Otherwise life is subjected to events caused by incompetence and just plain old random chance.

To a certain group of people the latter is far scarier than the former.

EDIT: Actually I shouldn't word it that way because it is scarier. Some people simply can't accept that sometimes there is no order and people in positions of authority can be lazy and incompetent might be a better way to say it.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jul 24, 2015

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

flosofl posted:

You just stumbled on the reason why conspiracy theories are so pervasive. A group of people orchestrating and instigating heinous events for undisclosed or hidden reasons imposes order on chaos and gives a target to outrage and fear. Otherwise life is subjected to events caused by incompetence and just plain old random chance.

To a certain group of people the latter is far scarier than the former.

EDIT: Actually I shouldn't word it that way because it is scarier. Some people simply can't accept that sometimes there is no order and people in positions of authority can be lazy and incompetent might be a better way to say it.

I'd disagree with this, imo (in my opinion) it's far scarier to believe that there are people deliberately causing these heinous events rather than accepting that humans are fallible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I suggest you all Google "Loose Change"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the vast unbelievable conspiracy that the police are killing black people

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
It's unnerving how much more incompetent police get when someone dies in their custody.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'd disagree with this, imo (in my opinion) it's far scarier to believe that there are people deliberately causing these heinous events rather than accepting that humans are fallible.

I've always found the conspiracy mindset fascinating; the big thing I've held to over the years is the amount of conspiracy nonsense behind the JFK assassination, no thanks in part to the huge success of that Oliver Stone film. I feel like people try their hardest to scrape up any sense of devious premeditation on a grand scale, whether it was the Cubans, the KGB, the CIA, LBJ, or any combination thereof, because having the most powerful individual in the world be killed by a lucky shot from a deranged nobody doesn't really bode well for the rest of the rabble. It's a lot more comforting to think that you can only change history in such a significant and lasting manner through a series of dark and complex machinations rather than through the pure luck of a lunatic gunman.

In this case though, I find myself agreeing with you in that I can't decide which is more ultimately horrifying; that there was a concerted effort to cover up another incident in the depressingly long list of police brutality against minorities, or if this time it really was just because a ton of incompetents hosed up in a linear order.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

3 posted:

I've always found the conspiracy mindset fascinating; the big thing I've held to over the years is the amount of conspiracy nonsense behind the JFK assassination, no thanks in part to the huge success of that Oliver Stone film. I feel like people try their hardest to scrape up any sense of devious premeditation on a grand scale, whether it was the Cubans, the KGB, the CIA, LBJ, or any combination thereof, because having the most powerful individual in the world be killed by a lucky shot from a deranged nobody doesn't really bode well for the rest of the rabble. It's a lot more comforting to think that you can only change history in such a significant and lasting manner through a series of dark and complex machinations rather than through the pure luck of a lunatic gunman.

In this case though, I find myself agreeing with you in that I can't decide which is more ultimately horrifying; that there was a concerted effort to cover up another incident in the depressingly long list of police brutality against minorities, or if this time it really was just because a ton of incompetents hosed up in a linear order.

If the CIA and the FBI had any form of communication at the time it probably wouldn't have happened. I'll accept that some form of conspiracy is in the realm of possibility, but it would've been to try to hide evidence of failure after the president's death, not a conspiracy to kill the president.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Meet Jeff Lash. Jeff Lash was shopping at a grocery store in Southern California on July 4th with his fiancée Catherine, and an employee of hers, Dawn. Jeff hadn't been feeling so hot lately, and he starting feeling worse at the store, but he refused to have anyone call 911 or bring him to a hospital. Well, he died in the parking lot. Catherine did what any companion of 17 years would do, she parked Jeff's car, leaving Jeff inside, and her and Dawn went away to Oregon for two weeks. When she came back (Dawn was also reported missing around this time) she was shocked to find Jeff's body still inside the car where she left it, so she promptly called celebrity attorney Harland Braun who in turn contacted the police. When searching Jeff's home, cops found 1600 guns (over 5 million bucks worth), 6 tons of ammunition, 230,000 cash, and 14 cars, including an SUV that had apparently been modified to drive underwater.

Who was Jeff Lash? As far as anyone knew, he wasn't rich. He told his fiancée he was some sort of alien super spy, and that he was slowly dying of chemical weapon poisoning sustained on a mission. (Cops said it was cancer) As he was dying in the parking lot, he asked Catherine to leave his body in the parked car, reassuring her that his "employers" would take care of it. Well, they didn't, which is why she was so shocked that his body was still there.

I can't wait to see how this story turns out.

http://ktla.com/2015/07/23/jeffrey-alan-lash-pacific-palisades-mystery-man-weapons-cache/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Armed Neutrality posted:

Meet Jeff Lash. Jeff Lash was shopping at a grocery store in Southern California on July 4th with his fiancée Catherine, and an employee of hers, Dawn. Jeff hadn't been feeling so hot lately, and he starting feeling worse at the store, but he refused to have anyone call 911 or bring him to a hospital. Well, he died in the parking lot. Catherine did what any companion of 17 years would do, she parked Jeff's car, leaving Jeff inside, and her and Dawn went away to Oregon for two weeks. When she came back (Dawn was also reported missing around this time) she was shocked to find Jeff's body still inside the car where she left it, so she promptly called celebrity attorney Harland Braun who in turn contacted the police. When searching Jeff's home, cops found 1600 guns (over 5 million bucks worth), 6 tons of ammunition, 230,000 cash, and 14 cars, including an SUV that had apparently been modified to drive underwater.

Who was Jeff Lash? As far as anyone knew, he wasn't rich. He told his fiancée he was some sort of alien super spy, and that he was slowly dying of chemical weapon poisoning sustained on a mission. (Cops said it was cancer) As he was dying in the parking lot, he asked Catherine to leave his body in the parked car, reassuring her that his "employers" would take care of it. Well, they didn't, which is why she was so shocked that his body was still there.

I can't wait to see how this story turns out.

http://ktla.com/2015/07/23/jeffrey-alan-lash-pacific-palisades-mystery-man-weapons-cache/

This is the best story. I'm afraid the real explanation is that he was an "eccentric" drug dealer and the fiance spent the last couple of weeks getting rid of the drugs. However, if that were true, you'd think she would have taken the cash...

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This could have been phrased better:

quote:

When he died in early July after collapsing in a Santa Monica grocery store parking lot, Lash refused to go to a hospital or let anyone call 911, celebrity defense attorney Harlan Braun said in an interview with KTLA Wednesday evening.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Imagined posted:

This is the best story. I'm afraid the real explanation is that he was an "eccentric" drug dealer and the fiance spent the last couple of weeks getting rid of the drugs. However, if that were true, you'd think she would have taken the cash...

My money is on illicit gun runner. That's a HUGE stockpile of guns.

BobTheEngineer
Jun 18, 2005
I'm a country member
My home village is on the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal, a polluted cesspool of a canal where falling in meant you were taking a trip to hospital to have your stomach pumped out.

Unfortunately all the industry and jobs were mainly on the other side of the canal to my village, so there existed a local ferry. A busy ferry taking people to the opposite bank and bringing them back at their shift end.

Until one day the canal ignited whilst a boatload were crossing to start their working day: http://www.francisfrith.com/irlam/bobs-ferry-disaster-at-irlam_memory-110751

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seems like that ferryman saved a bunch of lives by suspending the ferry service. A lot of other people may have just said gently caress it I'm here to do a job and kept going but his caution paid off.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aw poo poo, crimelibrary went offline in February?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

https://www.reddit.com/r/serialkillers/comments/35mhu6/crime_library_is_gone/

quote:

Okay guys. I was the managing editor of Crime Library for 3 years, up until close to the time that it was shut down. I'm sorry that I didn't make some kind of announcement that it was going to happen.

Basically /u/mdcastle is right. As its brand strategy veered farther and farther away from true crime, TruTV continuously reduced support and funding for CL. Also, over time, the main advocates for CL (who were mostly Court TV holdovers and into the crime stuff) were either laid off or quit. There has been a lot of turnover at TruTV over the years, and as new people took power, Crime Library was far from their highest priority.

The site didn't jive with the network's brand strategy, and even after all the TruTV branding was removed from it, they were still uncomfortable with having this gore-fest of a website under their brand umbrella.

Additionally, the website went through a lot of redesigns, half-baked republishing efforts and changed hands a number of times, which meant that structurally, it was an absolute mess. Literally two people in the world (myself and one other person) knew how to navigate this hoarder's attic of a website. There was no one at the network who wanted to touch it. In case of a threat of lawsuit --- which happens fairly often when you're posting mugshots and arrest stories -- nobody would even know where to find the offending content.

On a more editorial note, Crime Library really began to suffer during the rise of clickbait, HuffPo, Buzzfeed, etc. We felt pressured to spend more time and resources on one-off funny arrests and zippy news bites with links to other sites, rather than long, well-researched content.

All that said, it was a great ride. And although we never had the audience of the bigger, prettier websites, we had a dedicated audience of crime buffs (or murder nerds, as I've been called.) And, as everything on the internet -- Crime Library lives on in spirit. All the content can be found on the Wayback Machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/crimelibrary.com

I got in trouble at my first job as a newspaper reporter at a county weekly because I browsed Crime Library too much (I made my quotas and deadlines, but basically didn't do anything other than what was required by my contract regarding column inches per week).

The Aphasian has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Jul 24, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well that sucks. Whenever I read anything of the sort on Wikipedia I always looked for a CL article about whatever it was and that was me for the next four hours every drat time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BobbyK posted:

Checks out

Every example they give is always some super goony poo poo but I guess when you're a hardened investigator you'll take whatever chuckles you can get.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

pookel posted:

I believe the body in the trunk thing was Dahmer after all: http://serialkillerlab.blog.com/2013/04/08/jeffrey-dahmer-biography/

I'm only quoting that small bit because holy Christ is the surrounding paragraph gross.

Thank you! This matches exactly what I remember reading, now that I re-read that part you quoted. I was thinking it was in a different part of the country, which is why I didn't think Dahmer. Team effort and we can find any little detail on serial killers that one of us is half-remembering.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Dahmer thing is somewhat prominent in Derf Backderf's memoir because Dahmer supposedly gave him a ride home in the car while the body was still in the trunk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/26/serial-killer-shot-west-virginia-neal-falls

Not exactly unnerving but someone may have killed a serial killer in self defense

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't think this is really a mystery but it's still scary and going on right now.

Two 14 year old boys are missing at sea and their boat was just found 200 miles away from their home with no trace of them. Their parents say that the kids were not permitted to take the boat on the ocean (yeah that will work) but one of them posted on social media about going to the Bahamas.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/families-teens-missing-florida-coast-offer-100-000-reward-n398606

quote:

An overturned boat was found Sunday belonging to two teenage boys who went missing while fishing off the Florida coast two days earlier, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The 19-foot white single-engine boat that Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, both 14, took out off the coast of Jupiter, Florida, Friday, was found about 67 nautical miles off the coast near Daytona Beach, said U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Stephen Lehmann. There was no sign of the boys on the boat, according to the Coast Guard.

A Coast Guard spokesman said one life vest was found in the hull of the boat, but the boys' families did not know how many life vests were originally on board or if the boys would have been wearing them.

The Coast Guard has anchored the boat where it was located, and crews are searching the area off Daytona Beach, which is about 200 miles north of Jupiter, for the teens.

Also Joe Namath is involved.

Zero One has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Jul 26, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Zero One posted:

I don't think this is really a mystery but it's still scary and going on right now.

Two 14 year old boys are missing at sea and their boat was just found 200 miles away from their home with no trace of them. Their parents say that the kids were not permitted to take the boat on the ocean (yeah that will work) but one of them posted on social media about going to the Bahamas.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/families-teens-missing-florida-coast-offer-100-000-reward-n398606

Probably just like the earlier mystery of the three experienced sailors who (well, this is the most likely explanation at least) through various shenanigans all ended up off the boat, and found out the hard way that you can't swim fast enough to get back on.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Zero One posted:

It will be interesting to watch this evolve online. "They had been sailing since they were toddlers, so there's no way they just hosed up and fell overboard! There was a dinner ready in the galley when they found the boat and it was still warm! One of them posted on loosechange.org and was about to prove jews did 9/11 so the FBI killed them! Locals reported seeing a sasquatch riding the Loch Ness Monster cresting nearby just hours before the boat was found!"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
They had never fallen off a boat and drowned, so...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/26/serial-killer-shot-west-virginia-neal-falls

Not exactly unnerving but someone may have killed a serial killer in self defense

How come the US has so many serial killers?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe we have the same amount as everyone else, but because we're American ours just get caught due to laziness?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

We have a very large population.

Also, we may have a lot, but the award for most vicious serial killers with the highest number of victims goes to Colombia.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

Also, we may have a lot, but the award for most vicious serial killers with the highest number of victims goes to Colombia.

We're right in the sweet spot of having a large population and a pretty lazy police response unless the victims are white and not poor, but our police are competent enough that they usually get caught eventually. Countries with smaller populations but nonexistent police get the ones with really crazy bodycounts. Russia must have tons working under the radar.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jack Gladney posted:

We're right in the sweet spot of having a large population and a pretty lazy police response unless the victims are white and not poor, but our police are competent enough that they usually get caught eventually. Countries with smaller populations but nonexistent police get the ones with really crazy bodycounts. Russia must have tons working under the radar for the police.

Fixed for probably truth.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yet another reason to take the stairs instead. Chinese mother manages to save son's life before being eaten alive by escalator. Not watching the video, nope nope nope.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Imagined posted:

Yet another reason to take the stairs instead. Chinese mother manages to save son's life before being eaten alive by escalator. Not watching the video, nope nope nope.

I have a pretty strong stomach but even I knew I couldn't make it all the way through. I had to pause it right after the point where the metal panel fell through and she pushed her son away. The video has kindly been edited with frequent pauses to let you know what's coming next, but I'm still surprised it was made available on CNN, front-and-center on the page.

From what I did see, it's not gory but it is terrifying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I have a pretty strong stomach but even I knew I couldn't make it all the way through. I had to pause it right after the point where the metal panel fell through and she pushed her son away. The video has kindly been edited with frequent pauses to let you know what's coming next, but I'm still surprised it was made available on CNN, front-and-center on the page.

From what I did see, it's not gory but it is terrifying.

A situation like that has to be so surreal and just baffling, I'm not sure the human brain even has time to process poo poo like that. Like, she's about to fall through and she's clinging to the edge, but there's no way it would even occur to me in that moment that I was in mortal danger. Then a second later she's in there I assume being all ground up in the machinery and its all over with. Life is bullshit man.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FourLeaf posted:

Define "most vicious"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Imagined posted:

I had to in order to learn what part of an escalator I should be afraid of, and how to identify flesh hungry escalators in the future.
(or really to help reassure myself that this is a rare incident that i shouldn't worry about and understand how this happened in this case and doesn't on thousands of escalators every day. did not work. it's like something out of a final destination horror movie)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The full thing is up on Gawker. Honestly, there isn't much more to it than that. You see what you see in the CNN video and then she's no longer there. It happens so fast. Not to cheapen it at all, but it looks less like she saved her son and more like he was already in a safe place. Every escalator I've ever seen has an emergency stop button near the top and bottom. Wonder if that would have made a difference.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Not to cheapen it at all, but it looks less like she saved her son and more like he was already in a safe place. Every escalator I've ever seen has an emergency stop button near the top and bottom. Wonder if that would have made a difference.

I'm not sure, he's standing in a spot where it really could have gone either way considering they were holding hands at the time. She easily could have instinctively dragged him down too, or he could have stumbled back really easily with just one false step. I think there's a good shot she saved his life.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Acne Rain posted:

it's like something out of a final destination horror movie

I think this exact situation was in one of the sequels actually. I remember it because it seemed so dumb and implausible, even for those movies. That poor woman :(

January
Jul 5, 2009

Imagined posted:

Came here to post this. As a child, I was worried about somehow getting caught in the escalator's moving stair steps and dragged under, but it never occurred to me that I could actually fall into the mechanism. Horrifying. The mother must have felt pure terror but I hope she had at least a moment of peace knowing that her child survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

I had to in order to learn what part of an escalator I should be afraid of, and how to identify flesh hungry escalators in the future.
(or really to help reassure myself that this is a rare incident that i shouldn't worry about and understand how this happened in this case and doesn't on thousands of escalators every day. did not work. it's like something out of a final destination horror movie)

If it makes you fee any better, escalator landings don't just collapse from design flaws. Shoddy malls in podunk Chinese towns are often built without any regard to safety standards. This is going to be a case of gross criminal negligence.

A guy in Turkey fell into an escalator's mechanism about 2 years ago. However, he was carrying a long wooden plank that got wedged between the ceiling and the escalator's steps. The whole escalator stopped moving, but the step gave out first while he was trying to remove the plank.

I wouldn't want to clean out the interior of an escalator after that.