Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Well that, and it's easier to fart out updates to Yet Another Stupid Sandbox zombie Dinosaur Survival Game.

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Ya i've played that, but it didn't seem to add much as far as making this a complete game. I've been playing Ark lately, and they are doing weekly, and bi-weekly updates. Their team is much bigger though so maybe im expecting too much.

Darkest Dungeon is an indie team, Ark is a professional team. Apples and Oranges.

Also Ark's communication is pretty constant, but the updates that are piecemeal are pretty small and minor. Darkest tends to only update once a month or so but the updates are far more comprehensive.

Kyrosiris posted:

Well that, and it's easier to fart out updates to Yet Another Stupid Sandbox zombie Dinosaur Survival Game.

Obvious trolling.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Darkest Dungeon is an indie team, Ark is a professional team. Apples and Oranges.

Also Ark's communication is pretty constant, but the updates that are piecemeal are pretty small and minor. Darkest tends to only update once a month or so but the updates are far more comprehensive.

Obvious trolling.

Ya I obviously wasn't trying to say they should do what Ark is doing. I'm just in the boat of waiting for the game to finish so I dont burn out before it is done.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

cumshitter posted:

I happened to beat it last night on a low level run with Vestal/PD/Highwayman/Hellion.

The Hellion can hit anything from the front and at low level both her and the highwayman can smack down the fuse guy with one hit. Using the Highwayman's Leading Shot and his clean guns camp ability gave him a 90% chance to hit and nearly all of them were one-shots.

I just had the Vestal heal and stun, trying to use whatever free hits I had on the cannon. Plague Doctor was actually somewhat useful in that she could reliably lay down a blight that would finish off the fuse guy if the Hellion didn't. Although you might get more mileage with another character. I did find her battle heal useful since some of the bandits can bleed you.

You're going to be chipping away at the cannon no matter what since it has ridiculous protection. So focusing on being able to make sure the cannon never goes off and using your spare turns to attack it worked for me. I'm not going to pretend I'm super good at this game or anything though, but I beat it with that party and didn't feel like I was close to wiping at any point. In fact, the constant one-hits really lowered the Highwayman and Hellion's stress.

Baronjutter posted:

It's super easy once you learn the key is to just go after the bandits and only hit the cannon if there are no bandits. It takes a long time but it ensures the cannon never fires. Sometimes it's ok to let a bandit or two live, just make sure to kill the guy who fires the cannon asap. You'll only be doing a few points of damage (if any) to the canon each round, but they'll be doing no damage to you, so you just wait it out.

Word, thanks guys. I was making sure to kill the fuse dude every turn but I was mostly ignoring the other bandits, I think that's why I had so much trouble. For some reason I assumed the cannon would summon 3 new bandits every turn but if it only summons 1 then that's a lot more manageable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

It doesn't seem like much news is coming out on this game. Has there been any talk about what's next?
Maybe you missed it but they put this on their twitter all the way back on the 6th.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's two more dungeons that need to be added to finish the game, and they're next. The cove and the darkest dungeon itself.

The cove is first up, as that image above implies.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, Cove is next. Then I suppose they'll do some rebalancing passes on stuff like economy, just they did with diseases and traits (it was on the document for the previous update). After that I don't think there's anything else, content-wise, planned aside from the Darkest Dungeon and maybe the Merchant (they said they didn't knew if the Merchant would be finished before full release).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Argggh

Gambler and a Known Cheat, this game really likes to kick you in the nuts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I spoke too soon about the dungeons seeming easy enough. I took a quest to kill the Sonorous Prophet, and got all the way to the boss room with full health and no stress... and then proceeded to get rolled. I lost an arbalest and my team was pretty beaten down, but the boss was at half health and I felt pot committed. Unfortunately, I lost two other party members to blight+eye+rocks, which left my Crusader unable to Holy Lance the boss. I had to make him retreat with the boss at 2hp :negative:

Now I'm going to treat the first run at a boss as a pure scouting mission and then recompose a party that will work best. Or maybe just look poo poo up on the wiki

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing you really need to deal with bosses is being able to hit the back rows on multiple/all your characters. Some you don't even need that for, just high damage really ie flesh.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing you really need to deal with bosses is being able to hit the back rows on multiple/all your characters. Some you don't even need that for, just high damage really ie flesh.

I would say each boss actually adds a slightly different mechanic, Necro makes sure you can clear Summoned Adds. Prophet makes sure you can Hit the back row. Big Pig teaches you about not hitting the little guy [Seriously do not hit him] bandit Cannon is about having endurance.

granted enough Damage helps manage each fights gimmick but it is a nice little thing that each one is not the same kind of fight.

Also Cove is next but i believe that the Darkest Dungeon itself will be only on release.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i just do not loving get the little guy with the big pig. what's the point? you hit him once, big guy counter-attacks, and your guys tell you not to do that again. so why is he even there?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I've heard of people accidentally killing him in a single turn and then the big pig does nothing but rage

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Jackard posted:

I've heard of people accidentally killing him in a single turn and then the big pig does nothing but rage

I kept doing that and honestly it took me forever to figure out the encounter when there are no clues to not do that - I thought the big pig was just a permanent rage monster.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Paolomania posted:

I kept doing that and honestly it took me forever to figure out the encounter when there are no clues to not do that - I thought the big pig was just a permanent rage monster.

Huh? I did the same and my guys kept going "Don't hit the little one!" over and over until they all died. There were plenty of clues, they just came too late to help me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inflammatory posted:

i just do not loving get the little guy with the big pig. what's the point? you hit him once, big guy counter-attacks, and your guys tell you not to do that again. so why is he even there?

Why don't you go kill Wilbur and then come ask this question again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It makes me feel warm inside to come back to this thread months later and the first thing I see is people getting confused/mangled by Wilbur.

Has the Cove been added yet? I was gonna give this game another run once it was in but I'm trying to avoid other spoilers about new stuff that's been added.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

It makes me feel warm inside to come back to this thread months later and the first thing I see is people getting confused/mangled by Wilbur.

Has the Cove been added yet? I was gonna give this game another run once it was in but I'm trying to avoid other spoilers about new stuff that's been added.

Next month supposedly

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jackard posted:

Yup, can confirm, this is how I played this fight. It was hard but I did it!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Raskolnikov posted:

Yup, can confirm, this is how I played this fight. It was hard but I did it!

I went in MaA, MaA, HwM, Occ for my first time and Wilbur got killed by retribution. The HwM bought it but otherwise some lucky heals and the MaA dodge buff pulled me through.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

I've been trying to go into every boss fight blind because I feel like it makes for a more entertaining stream, so I didn't know how the Necromancer Lord differed from the other two Necromancers until I fought him. Didn't go super great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfQhlmMl3IE

Maybe loses something without stream chat idk.

Oh I also beat the Brigand 12 Pounder, thanks to everyone who gave me tips for that fight, AOE worked really well.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

may contain peanuts posted:

I've been trying to go into every boss fight blind because I feel like it makes for a more entertaining stream, so I didn't know how the Necromancer Lord differed from the other two Necromancers until I fought him. Didn't go super great:

Wait, you consider that not going super great? I expected a complete party wipe, but you didn't even lose anybody (spoiler alert)! In Darkest Dungeon terms, that's a massive success!! Exclamation marks!!!

Man that was tense though, I don't typically watch videos of people playing games, but this game really lends itself to that.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

may contain peanuts posted:

Oh I also beat the Brigand 12 Pounder, thanks to everyone who gave me tips for that fight, AOE worked really well.

Hey that's a great video, very tense, had me at the edge of my seat. Loved that Jester quote, Maybe children's birthday parties aren't so bad...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Holy poo poo, that came right down to the wire. You're lucky your Vestal didn't get stunned earlier or you'd have been in real trouble. Thanks for posting, I'll be going up against him soon, will make sure to bring some stun resist for my own Vestal.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Holy poo poo, that came right down to the wire. You're lucky your Vestal didn't get stunned earlier or you'd have been in real trouble. Thanks for posting, I'll be going up against him soon, will make sure to bring some stun resist for my own Vestal.
If Warped Echo had ever gotten stunned I was going to retreat. I was taking some crazy risks that fight because I didn't want to get that far and then retreat, but that would have done it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the best thing about wilbur is that in every single video of some youtube superstar playing this game, they keep hitting him over and over again and then complain that swine king is too hard

i thought only DSP is that retarded

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

RottenK posted:

the best thing about wilbur is that in every single video of some youtube superstar playing this game, they keep hitting him over and over again and then complain that swine king is too hard

i thought only DSP is that retarded

I did this. :blush:

I blame JRPG's. Just about everyone of them has a boss fight with a huge guy and a little guy, and in every single one of them the correct response is to kill the little guy as quickly as possible.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Darkest Dungeon is the exact opposite of Jrpgs. You can tell how there are no enormous eyes, instead, no one seems to have eyes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A.o.D. posted:

Darkest Dungeon is the exact opposite of Jrpgs. You can tell how there are no enormous eyes, instead, no one seems to have eyes.

Also the characters aren't absolutely insufferable and unrelatable to anyone over the age of 13.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I dont know posted:

I did this. :blush:

I blame JRPG's. Just about everyone of them has a boss fight with a huge guy and a little guy, and in every single one of them the correct response is to kill the little guy as quickly as possible.

Yeah, the Wilbur fight is pretty much designed to trap people who rely on experience in prior games without thinking about this one.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Two questions:

1) I'm relying too much on my Vestals and not taking advantage of other healing options, mostly because I'm not sure what other options are dependable. I love them aoe heals

2) I don't get the Jester or the Barbarian. I look at them, I look at their moves, and it's not clicking why I would take them over others. I certainly have my preferences and all that but otherwise I think I've found a good use for everyone else yet those two still don't make sense to me.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
By barbarian I'm sure you mean Hellion. So long as they're in the first slot, closest to the enemy, they can hit any spot in the enemy lineup so long as they have the 2-3 position bleed skill, Iron Swan, and their regular cleave attack. On top of that, Barbaric Yawp! is a very effective double stun.

Her bleed attacks are also great for bosses since they do decent damage and they stack.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use the Jester myself. The Jester's lunge has good range and their accuracy debuff attack (Solo) has at least been effective on lower levels. I'm tempted to try loading them up with +crit and then start each battle off with a Finale and then having them buff the party with songs until they lunge their way back to the front for a repeat.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't wait for this game to finally be finished so I can play it on my PS4.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

I like the Jester but I mostly only ever use Battle Ballad with him, and maybe Dirk Stab once if it's near the end of the battle and there's something pretty low on health. If it's a really easy fight I might use his stress heal a few times. Finale and Solo both got changed completely since vanilla but I haven't messed with those at all yet. Maybe they're good, I have no idea. Feels like something you'd have to build your team around.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Two questions:

1) I'm relying too much on my Vestals and not taking advantage of other healing options, mostly because I'm not sure what other options are dependable. I love them aoe heals

2) I don't get the Jester or the Barbarian. I look at them, I look at their moves, and it's not clicking why I would take them over others. I certainly have my preferences and all that but otherwise I think I've found a good use for everyone else yet those two still don't make sense to me.

The Occultist works as a more aggressive healer, but really the Vestal is the only primary healer in the game. Free yourself from the shackles of traditional RPG thinking and try running with no dedicated healer :unsmigghh:

Jester really isn't very functional. His stress heal is theoretically good but it requires him to be in the very back row where he can't really do very much. He has skills to jump to the front/back of the party but it takes way too much time to try to jockey around to get into position to do what you want to do.

The Hellion (barbarian) is a tough character with very high base damage. Her bleed skills do almost as much DPS as a bounty hunter hitting a marked target and she has a hell of an AOE nuke at her disposal.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I dont know posted:

I love how Chronotrigger uses this in a dozen boss fights throughout the game, then trolls you by having the final boss be a big guy and two little guys, but the big guy is secretly a buffer and the actual boss is one of the little guys.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

The Occultist works as a more aggressive healer, but really the Vestal is the only primary healer in the game.

The Occultist is quietly fantastic. His mark is the only mark in the game that has an additional effect and makes any party makeup including an arbalest or bounty hunter (or both) extremely lethal, and his weakness curse is going to do a lot more for your party's effective health than healing will against dangerous enemies like bosses and swinetaurs. Also, now that corpses are in so enemies sometimes stay in the back row for more than half of a turn, Abyssal Artillery is actually quite a good attack. And say what you will about consistency, critting a Wyrd Reconstruction for 20+ always feels fantastic.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Hellion is a huge brick of meat and rage. Put her in the front and she will take the monsters' lunch money and spend it on ale and wenches, then beat the monsters up while hung over. She's an extremely good all-around frontliner.

Jester is kind of bad for general use IMO, but can really shine in parties specifically designed to exploit his party buff and other weird niche powers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

IAmUnaware posted:

The Occultist is quietly fantastic. His mark is the only mark in the game that has an additional effect and makes any party makeup including an arbalest or bounty hunter (or both) extremely lethal, and his weakness curse is going to do a lot more for your party's effective health than healing will against dangerous enemies like bosses and swinetaurs. Also, now that corpses are in so enemies sometimes stay in the back row for more than half of a turn, Abyssal Artillery is actually quite a good attack. And say what you will about consistency, critting a Wyrd Reconstruction for 20+ always feels fantastic.

Yeah they work really well with +crit and -bleed. They do feel like they kind of suck early though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I've only dipped my toe in this game but the Hellion never fails me. She blasts through enemies, tanks decently, and seems to sneer at mental fatigue better.