Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm going to guess a lack of dusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It's directly under an AC vent, we have an Australian Shepard that sheds constantly, and it's hard to dust a desk with a bunch of in-progress models on it. I should probably put some of them in boxes until they're next up for painting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd recommend rigging some cardboard to deflect the AC and maybe running a humidifier (when you're not using the AC).

And try keeping the dog out of your painting area, but they can be insistent.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Good plan. I'll do that when I get home today. God knows there's plenty of cardboard boxes to use.

(And he's a very good boy. :3:)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm in kind of a similar situation, I have a labrador that sheds like it's her job.

I don't have that big of an issue with dust and hair, and she generally hangs out underneath my desk.

I think the main difference is that I don't have an air vent near my work space. It's probably kicking stuff up.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Normally I'm very anal retentive when it comes to mold lines, but this Bones red dragon is making me say "gently caress it, paint it as-is."

I've gone over this thing three times before priming and it STILL has a bunch on there and I just can't give a poo poo anymore.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Slimnoid posted:

Normally I'm very anal retentive when it comes to mold lines, but this Bones red dragon is making me say "gently caress it, paint it as-is."

I've gone over this thing three times before priming and it STILL has a bunch on there and I just can't give a poo poo anymore.

Bones is a BITCH to remove mould lines from because the plastic is slightly translucent so they're almost invisible until you get a coat of paint on there.

Totally not worth the hassle on big minis IMO.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

thespaceinvader posted:

Bones is a BITCH to remove mould lines from because the plastic is slightly translucent so they're almost invisible until you get a coat of paint on there.

Totally not worth the hassle on big minis IMO.

On the REALLY big stuff, like Cthulhu, the mold lines are easy to spot and I had no problem at all with finding them.

This dragon, though? gently caress it. Friend is going to get it painted like this and they'll like it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

They're a lot harder on the dragons because they have SO many little nooks and crannies. I'm not looking forward to Nathavarr for just that reason - the mould lines, not to mention the amount of brushes I wrecked getting base coats onto the PF red, the Hydra, and Deathsleet.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Would it make sense to hit it with a cheap wash to help the mold lines stand out? Still time consuming, of course, but I have some larger Bones stuff coming up soon and I haven't looked super closely for mold lines yet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Washes don't adhere to Bonesium well prior to basecoating. But you could basecoat then remove the lines, in theory.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Even when you can see the mold lines, they material itself would rather turn into a mangled mess than actually smooth out. Still, maybe a drybrush will make them easier to see.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Brown liner. It sticks to Bones just fine. Slather it all over and you can actually see what the hell is going on with the mini.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

An Angry Bug posted:

Even when you can see the mold lines, they material itself would rather turn into a mangled mess than actually smooth out.

One of several reasons I don't buy Bones for anything except practice minis.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Slimnoid posted:

I started cleaning up Khanjira the other night.

:rip: me

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Other flaws of Bones include sculptor Bobby Jackson's really uncomfortable handling of women.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yes, "uncomfortable" is certainly how I'd describe this, although perhaps not in the same sense you meant:

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
I painted some Fishermen from Guildball, which was a nice change from the Cryx/Undead stuff i'm usually painting. These guys have hair!

Her hair is OK, but i think i need to make the recesses more brown?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

_Gumby posted:

but i think i need to make the recesses more brown?

You don't, it's good as it is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jesus god drat christ I hate super glue. It never fails that I'll turn the bottle over and end up peeling off all the epidermis from my hands five minutes later.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're having trouble with mold lines on bones try using a very sharp knife with a thick blade. I find the standard exacto or my mold line remover tend to do poorly but the blade from my karambit works well.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Star Man posted:

Jesus god drat christ I hate super glue. It never fails that I'll turn the bottle over and end up peeling off all the epidermis from my hands five minutes later.

For small things, I just drop some glue onto a sheet of wax paper and dab it on with a toothpick. Works a lot better overall.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Star Man posted:

If the application will take it, try getting the lepage gel type stuff. It has saved me peeling a lot of skin off my fingers, though I do think it is a little weaker.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Star Man posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again. Nitrile gloves. Unlike latex gloves, it takes some doing for cyanoacrylate to adhere nitrile gloves to anything. Get some and try them out next time you're supergluing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All I ever use super glue for is putting feet onto a base or gluing resin Salamanders shoulder pads to a space marine. All I ever need is a drop from the bottle for the contact and the whole bottle decides that it's time to pour over everything.

Though that only happens sometimes. Sometimes the bottle gives me no poo poo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I've literally never had that problem (I use Loctite Professional). Maybe the bottle you have is dumbly made?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

_Gumby posted:

I painted some Fishermen from Guildball, which was a nice change from the Cryx/Undead stuff i'm usually painting. These guys have hair!

I really like the bald guy, something about him just pops out to me.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've literally never had that problem (I use Loctite Professional). Maybe the bottle you have is dumbly made?

I dunno. It's a bottle of Bob Smith Industries super glue. poo poo runs like my nose on a cold day.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Superglue really is terrible. I find that no matter what brand or technique is used, it never attaches anything I want attached. I'll be stuck in an eternal loop of regluing things.

Meanwhile, if I actually -want- superglue to fail, I can be sure those two objects will be intertwined for all eternity.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 9, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Just the other day my loctite professional CA decided to start spontaneously gushing all over the table while I was holding a piece in place as the glue set.
I have also never had that problem until now :shrug:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Attestant posted:

Superglue really is terrible. I find that no matter what brand or technique is used, it never attaches anything I want attached. I'll be stuck in an eternal loop of regluing things.

Here's what I've been doing to make my life with superglue less painful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&userid=84974&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post453146192

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Loctite glue bottles with the little fingertip buttons on the sides are the best bottles I've ever used. Conical-shape bottles so they don't fall over easily and the top screws into place. They'll be the only bottles I every buy from now on. The generic BSI glues on their own are fine but it's the bottle that makes the big difference to me.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

krushgroove posted:

The Loctite glue bottles with the little fingertip buttons on the sides are the best bottles I've ever used. Conical-shape bottles so they don't fall over easily and the top screws into place. They'll be the only bottles I every buy from now on. The generic BSI glues on their own are fine but it's the bottle that makes the big difference to me.

Those are pretty nice, yeah. I prefer the Loctite Pro's glue though, so I put up with the worse bottle. Loctite Gel Control is some pro poo poo too though, and useful for times when I have troubles with more liquidy CA.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
To revisit the topic of agitators inside of your paint bottles, I found a discussion on CMON where a bunch of nerds were arguing about which metals and materials were causing their paints to discolor. The consensus is that tiny ceramic "baking beans" are the best option as they cannot corrode.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Flavor Truck posted:

To revisit the topic of agitators inside of your paint bottles, I found a discussion on CMON where a bunch of nerds were arguing about which metals and materials were causing their paints to discolor. The consensus is that tiny ceramic "baking beans" are the best option as they cannot corrode.

I bought a baggie of 200 glass beads (faceted, just in case they get lodged in the neck of the bottle) when I got back into painting about 3.5 yrs ago and those are probably cheaper and do a great job. I've used small squares of cut-up GW sprue as well.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Star Man posted:

Get yourself a 200 ml bottle of Vallejo surface primer and brush that poo poo on. It's slow compared to spraying on the primer, but at least you can do it inside the house without worrying about fumes.

Reporting back to say that this poo poo is amazing and I'll never spray prime again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

_Gumby posted:

Her hair is OK, but i think i need to make the recesses more brown?

:stare:

Is that static grass neon green in person?

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

:stare:

Is that static grass neon green in person?

No, i think that's just the lights making it look brighter than it is. Its bright but not neon in person.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Cat Face Joe posted:

Reporting back to say that this poo poo is amazing and I'll never spray prime again.

Do you have to thin it at all? Second coat? How well does it cover larger, smooth surfaces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Cat Face Joe posted:

Until you get an airbrush :getin: