Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You gotta be super conscious about any time you need to raise your hands over your head, because that's one thing that the system won't protect you from and games (fairly irresponsibly imo) ask you to do it a lot. Of course its also hard to remember when you're jacked in, I've been playing a lot of Climbey lately and keep punching the ceiling/my light fixture.

Sorry about your hand though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Got my sales invoice today, and the email with my codes right after the invoice. Code email was from support@oculus.com, if that helps anyone.

Also got my UPS alert that my controllers will be delivered tomorrow. Hmm... wonder if I can con my boss into letting me work from home tomorrow (the answer is no. its always no(probably rightfully so)). Probably doesn't matter, as the UPS truck doesn't get to my neighborhood until about 4:30 anyway. I think they can survive with the neighbors for 45 minutes.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Yeah just got my invoice and codes a few minutes ago.

UPS says it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
there was talk a few months back about getting mats to both easily define the play area by feel and also to soften standing for long periods of time. I want to pick some up, any random recommendations? I'm guessing the most popular was those gym mats that fit together like 2x2ft jigsaw puzzle pieces

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My touch order was originally scheduled to deliver Wednesday but changed today to be tomorrow. I fully expected them to drive it from Jackson, MS to Dallas, wait a day and then drive to Houston tomorrow, wait out the day and then deliver it on Wednesday. Nice to be pleasantly surprised. Now I just have to listen for the quietest doorbell in the world. Hopefully the dog hears it and goes nuts.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really want to try Kingspray - they talked about simultaneously launch and cross-platform multiplayer (very cool) but it doesn't appear to be up on Steam yet.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I pre-ordered ~35m after the rift went on sale in Jan and I'm still waiting for my touch shipping info :negative:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Pro tip: if you want Ripcoil for a dollar, buy Street Champ VR and you'll have it.

Other 99 cent titles in the Oculus Store:

- VR Rollercoaster: Cave Depths

- Tacoface

- "BUTTS": The VR Experience

Edit: Sidenote, has anyone played Onward with the touch controllers yet? I'm thinking of picking that up.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 6, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

A few tech news sites are saying that with touch, the rift edges out the Vive as a better headset.
In terms of the controllers themselves, one thing I got from the Tested review of Touch is how the different sizes and shapes make them suitable for different uses. Obviously Touch has some gesture features, but the size of Vive controllers mean they may be better suited for a larger rifle grip/sword hilt/canoe paddle(!) etc. experience.
One thing I'm really interested in a proper comparison of are the different haptics systems.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Sidenote, has anyone played Onward with the touch controllers yet? I'm thinking of picking that up.

It's in my library waiting to be played, so I'll let you know tomorrow!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Does Rec Room require Win10 on Steam as well? I'm on mobile and can't check until later. If so, that's a bummer!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You should install Windows 10

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

El Grillo posted:

In terms of the controllers themselves, one thing I got from the Tested review of Touch is how the different sizes and shapes make them suitable for different uses. Obviously Touch has some gesture features, but the size of Vive controllers mean they may be better suited for a larger rifle grip/sword hilt/canoe paddle(!) etc. experience.
One thing I'm really interested in a proper comparison of are the different haptics systems.

IIRC, one of the reasons the Unseen Diplomacy developer said the game wouldn't work for Touch is that you can't really crawl on your hands and knees while holding the Touch controllers, unlike Vive wands. Given the shape and how fragile the tracking ring looks, I can definitely believe that.

OTOH, short of Unseen Diplomacy and maybe some attempt at an ultra-realistic ARMA style milsim, I doubt many people are going to be crawling around in VR.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

homeless snail posted:

You should install Windows 10

No, it's garbage for my use case and it's updates break things too often. I do a lot of audio production and I'll get it once SP1 comes out and it's a bit more stable with my VST's etc etc. So I take it Rec Room does require win10 though?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Windows 10 is pretty good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

No, it's garbage for my use case and it's updates break things too often. I do a lot of audio production and I'll get it once SP1 comes out and it's a bit more stable with my VST's etc etc.
Then I guess VR isn't in your use case, sorry

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Then I guess Rec Room isn't in your use case, sorry

Guess not, oh well.

edit: Besides Rec Room, what else requires Win10 that you guys know of?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

Lemming posted:

Wednesday, 12/07/2016, By End of Day

fuk

Mine said this last week and now it says tomorrow :toot:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Mine said this last week and now it says tomorrow :toot:

Every time someone says this I check again

Wednesday, 12/07/2016, By End of Day

gbggnngggggr

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also, while forced updates is generally a good thing for security, knowing MS they will also force everyone to upgrade to Win11 when it comes out, likely breaking tons of people's poo poo, and I will definitely sit back and be smug about it when that probably happens ;) :smug:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Dammit, I tried Job Simulator on Vive this weekend, and now I'm waffling on which headset to go for again. You Touch-getters better post about your room-scale experiences here. :mad:

Just ordered a third camera after watching Tested's review, gotta have that experimental roomscale!

Cojawfee posted:

My touch order was originally scheduled to deliver Wednesday but changed today to be tomorrow. I fully expected them to drive it from Jackson, MS to Dallas, wait a day and then drive to Houston tomorrow, wait out the day and then deliver it on Wednesday. Nice to be pleasantly surprised. Now I just have to listen for the quietest doorbell in the world. Hopefully the dog hears it and goes nuts.

sup Houston VR buddy :hf:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 6, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Pro Fishing Challenge is free too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
should just get windows2000 imo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Guess not, oh well.

edit: Besides Rec Room, what else requires Win10 that you guys know of?

Virtual Desktop, which just got Touch support, btw.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

No, it's garbage for my use case and it's updates break things too often. I do a lot of audio production and I'll get it once SP1 comes out and it's a bit more stable with my VST's etc etc. So I take it Rec Room does require win10 though?

windows 10 is already on SP2, fyi. it's never getting better, just upgrade now and get used to it, the sooner you do it, the less painful it's going to be

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
Y'all have talked about using an HDMI extension cable with the Oculus to get the cable port out in front of your tower and I was wondering what length is manageable.

Probably just going to get a three footer since I've got USB on the front, but I can extend both the USB and HDMI if it's worth going farther.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Virtual Desktop, which just got Touch support, btw.

Naw it works with 8, it doesn't work with 7 though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Truga posted:

windows 10 is already on SP2, fyi. it's never getting better, just upgrade now and get used to it, the sooner you do it, the less painful it's going to be

Dude, I'm on 8.1. It's pretty much exactly like 10, it's not that I don't want to get used to it, ( I already have a pc with 10 installed), it's that my VR machine is also my audio production machine and it works literally flawlessly, and I've learned through past experience when something is working flawlessly, you don't just upgrade the OS, cross your fingers, and hope for the best. Also, Win8 and Win10 have the same software base, it's funny that some of the people who are so against forced game exclusives make an exception for an OS based forced exclusive haha (not you guys, just some people on /r/Vive that talk about how awesome it is)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I played Onward for the first time yesterday and it was pretty fun. I wasn't very good at it (the game seems reward patience and I am... not patient) but I had one pretty great moment. I was on attack and managed to accidentally sneak into the point on the suburban map. The thing was on the second floor, so I just crouched down and tried to start putting in the code. I pad was kind of janky and I couldn't point right when my hands were pretty close together, so I spent some time fumbling with it and just about poo poo myself when I saw a dude on the enemy team standing in front of me. His back was to me though and he was looking out the window and he walked away, so now I'm fully freaking out and shaking and poo poo and I start putting the number in correctly, trying to calm down and pull my hands further apart. After a few seconds he reappears but this time he sees me and starts shooting with his pistol, I guess he was nervous too or maybe my body armor helped me out because I didn't die. He pulled out his knife and stabbed me, but I managed to hit "send" a split second earlier and I see the Victory box popup as my body crumples up

My sides hurt I was laughing so hard, I wish I could have recorded it

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I bought the 5 game bundle, my controllers ordered via Amazon get here tomorrow. Let's do this!

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I'm debating getting the 5 game bundle... should I care about space pirate trainer's different leaderboards?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm buying SPT again because I want to give them money

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Looking at all the free poo poo you get with Touch, it's almost like it's free.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
Ordering these to hold the sensors, if anyone is looking for something to get them off the desk.

https://www.amazon.com/Fovitec-StudioPRO-Classic-Light-Carrying/dp/B01MFG14ZT/

These include the ball mount for each of the two, so should work great for either headset's camera. Doesn't need to be a super robust tripod unless you're going to be traveling alot, or plan on running into them constantly.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm trying to decide if I should preorder Arizona Sunshine for the 15% off. On the one hand I've been looking forward to it practically since I got the Vive, on the other hand pre-ordering games sight unseen is pretty stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://gfycat.com/SharpFaithfulCricket

Wrap it up viveailures.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Bremen posted:

I'm trying to decide if I should preorder Arizona Sunshine for the 15% off. On the one hand I've been looking forward to it practically since I got the Vive, on the other hand pre-ordering games sight unseen is pretty stupid.

If it was me, personally? I would wait.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bremen posted:

IIRC, one of the reasons the Unseen Diplomacy developer said the game wouldn't work for Touch is that you can't really crawl on your hands and knees while holding the Touch controllers, unlike Vive wands. Given the shape and how fragile the tracking ring looks, I can definitely believe that.

Nah, he's full of poo poo. I just now tried it out. You can just grab the handle portion of the Touch and crawl around with no problems at all.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

Bremen posted:

It looks really good, but is saving $6 worth it if the game isn't good? VR is a tricky spot for games.

Still, it's under $40. That's nothing, we were paying twice that for SNES games almost thirty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Posting like this is dumb my friend, you can think something is cool without being a butthole for no reason