Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrAristocrates posted:

Platinum's making an LoK game. Seriously.
Soundtrack should just be MGR done 1920s style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Well, poo poo. It's something I wanted and never realized I wanted.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm looking...forward? To something Korra related?

poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

I should look forward to this but given the half-rear end trailer, Activision being the publisher, and it maybe being a download title only I just can't expect much.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Huh. Turn-based strategy? I suppose it's cheaper than making a fighting game. But everyone knows that an Avatar-world based fighting game is really what we all want!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Huh. Turn-based strategy? I suppose it's cheaper than making a fighting game. But everyone knows that an Avatar-world based fighting game is really what we all want!

Turn-based strategy game on the DS. Consoles/PC's are getting a third person action game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kibayasu posted:

Turn-based strategy game on the DS. Consoles/PC's are getting a third person action game.

A third person action game by Platinum. For non games-people, they're the best developer by far if you want a game in the character action genre. They're not always the best with plotting, but the actual gameplay systems are sublime. Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising Revengence, Vanquish -- all excellent. The fact that this is a downloadable game with no real gameplay footage a few months before release is pretty worrisome, but the potential here is incredible.

I mean really if they bring their A game this could be really, really good. We'll see.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Darth Nat posted:

The only real problem I have with Water Arms Lady is that it further muddles how bending is done. Remember back in the original series when bending was tied to martial arts moves? Remember how Katara had to constantly be moving to animate her water octopus maneuver? I guess we really are moving more toward "bending is a psychic power" when someone can create and animate water arms that work just like normal arms all the time. I think looking for consistency in bending is a lost cause at this point, though.

Remember how Combustion Man was a thing? Yeah, it's that but Waterbending. The idea that some people could possess a level of natural skill with bending so great they could do it without moving is far from new to the setting.

MrAristocrates posted:

If it was anyone but Platinum, I would be really worried about this. I'm more than willing to put my faith in Platinum, though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Remember how Combustion Man was a thing? Yeah, it's that but Waterbending. The idea that some people could possess a level of natural skill with bending so great they could do it without moving is far from new to the setting.

Also, wasn't Bumi so good that he could earthbend just by winking?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Well Manicured Man posted:

Also, wasn't Bumi so good that he could earthbend just by winking?

Yeah, true, he was. It's kind of odd that we haven't seen a similar level Waterbender until now, then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, true, he was. It's kind of odd that we haven't seen a similar level Waterbender until now, then.

Well we have, just not water bending specifically.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Well, thanks to the Fire Nation culling them during the war there weren't really any waterbenders as old and experienced as Bumi left, were there? Dude was literally over a hundred years old, after all. And I've got the feeling that gaining that level of control and finesse is either something you'd be born with as a prodigy, like those kids who can play Chopin by the time they're six, or that would take you like 100 years of practice to develop.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darth Nat posted:

The only real problem I have with Water Arms Lady is that it further muddles how bending is done. Remember back in the original series when bending was tied to martial arts moves? Remember how Katara had to constantly be moving to animate her water octopus maneuver? I guess we really are moving more toward "bending is a psychic power" when someone can create and animate water arms that work just like normal arms all the time. I think looking for consistency in bending is a lost cause at this point, though.

Maybe she learned to waterbend before losing her arms.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Charlz Guybon posted:

Phantom Limb bending? I like it!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been a bit busy, but the thread should be up by tonight.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

computer parts posted:

Well we have, just not water bending specifically.

True, I guess I just compartmentalize Bloodbending as a different thing. I wonder in that family could have done motionless Waterbending too, if they'd tried? It didn't seem like learning Metalbending let Toph do motionless Earthbending, and Bumi was never shown to metal bend, so probably not.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

RULES OF BENDING

This is probably the most excited I've been for anything Korra related.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

This would actually be really cool and I hope that's the direction they go in.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jimbot posted:

RULES OF BENDING

This is probably the most excited I've been for anything Korra related.

I wonder how they'll handle doing all the different bending moves? I remember back in the early 2000s, I used to play a 3rd-person action game called "Oni", that had a big variety of martial arts moves that you could pull off by putting in a certain combination of movement keys. It was pretty versatile, but I ended up not using too many of them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Maybe they'll end up mapping bending styles to the D-Pad a la SR4, and then have a full on Avatar State set that can use all 4 at once.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This would actually be really cool and I hope that's the direction they go in.

those who watched the leaks are reporting that her arms were removed as punishment when she was imprisoned. Which is pretty wild for a kids show, but they did end season 1 with a murder/suicide

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hiddenriverninja posted:

Maybe they'll end up mapping bending styles to the D-Pad a la SR4, and then have a full on Avatar State set that can use all 4 at once.

I was thinking DMC3, but this.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dj_clawson posted:

The Legend of Korra Book 3: Everyone Airbends Better Than Korra

Seriously look at that poo poo with the earthbender-type lady who's probably been bending for like a week while she practices with Korra.
There are a ton of new airbenders in the world and they all know how to bend; maybe not at mastery level, but somehow they picked it up in short time with no one to teach them. One of the villains is an airbender and he can match Kaya in battle.

It's not too inconsistent with the first show. Aang and his friends became master benders in less than a year with minimal tuition by a master.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

those who watched the leaks are reporting that her arms were removed as punishment when she was imprisoned. Which is pretty wild for a kids show, but they did end season 1 with a murder/suicide

I've watched the leaks : don't believe those people. There is no indication so far about how she lost her arms. Some people assumed they were cut off when she was imprisoned because of the drastic measures taken to keep Combustion Lady locked up (think Tai Lung in Kung-Fu Panda), but there is no evidence that this is how it went down.

I would argue that it makes little sense, in fact. I mean, why her specifically and not the other benders of their group?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Baron Bifford posted:

There are a ton of new airbenders in the world and they all know how to bend; maybe not at mastery level, but somehow they picked it up in short time with no one to teach them. One of the villains is an airbender and he can match Kaya in battle.

It's not too inconsistent with the first show. Aang and his friends became master benders in less than a year with minimal tuition by a master.

The show has a thing for bending being suped up when the wider world isn't in balance (last of its kind power up mixed with compensating for tech explosions)

We should get our gripping out of the way before we start the new thread. I've been avoiding most spoilers so my old story ideas don't sound like hindsight. I'll get what I wrote in another forum.

Ps. I'll condense this to avoid another infodump. (and the hate that comes with it) My preferences seem to line up with a darker take on the series. I get that they dilute the impact of the equalists and Vaatu because this is a kids show. I also get that this leads to some jarring shifts in theme. If I had things my way the mayor would be a bit more of a populist who acts as a spoiler in relation to what should still be lingering equalist sentiment. (That would balloon after spirits started terramorphing the landscape) I would also have liked if they followed through on Jinora's importance (instead of making her a plotpoint that accelerated Tenzin's character development) by giving her a piece of Vaatu, which would have showcased the "positives" of Yang, which is embodied by Vaatu. (Which would have been a better alternative than simply dissipating him after the spirit Kaiju fight) This would have forced the irony of Korra begrudgingly hunting the avatar's grandkid so they could close the portals while creating a smoother bplot that focused on overthrowing entrenched elements like the always corrupt dai li. The emergence of airbenders and Korra's role as a nation builder could than have some nuance. (Which would have been better than her complete 180 when she decided to keep the spirit portals open) This isn't doable, mostly because the seasons are short, basically self contained while the villains are essentially one dimensional.

But than again I'm not sure which spirit is Yin and which is yang in that imbalanced synchronicity. Rava takes on the characteristics of Vaatu when she holds him down and vice versa. Raava started off as a bit of a Palladin, just like Korra. Jumping to class relations in a world with reincarnation is problematic, as is the importance of nonbenders when the entire social system relies on wuxia magic and a energy grid that could work on taserglaves and people who shoot lightning.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 26, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645941

Thread's up, and also kinda I hate myself for doing this.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

MrAristocrates posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645941

Thread's up, and also kinda I hate myself for doing this.

I will never forgive you. Thread closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Finally.

• Locked thread