Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. How many election cycles did the US go through before the two-party system really became ensconced in its politics?

0. There was already a two party system in place in the first Congress, and only none present in the Presidency because everyone loved George Washington. Immediately after ol GW served his two terms, the Presidency was also subject to a two party system.

Nevertheless there's been 8 or 9 presidental elections over the years, about 5 in 19th century and 4 in the 20th, where a third party candidate won at least one state in the electoral college. In several more they won at least one electoral college vote even if they didn't win a whole state, and in even more they managed a decent showing (over 10% of the vote) even if they didn't get any electoral votes.

Similarly, especially in the 19th century and a few times in the 20th century, there's been multiple congressmen from third parties in office, sometimes in large groups. After the 1854 election for example, you had in the House representatives from 5 parties: Democrats, Whigs, Know Nothing, Anti-Nebraska and People's. Of course, in 1856 there were just 3: Democrats, Republicans and Know-Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

If a person can't fit in the MRI machine that's available, they don't get an MRI. The open MRI machines are bigger but there's still a limit because you are sitting within the machine and it closes in on either side, just not in front. They could get other imaging like a CT scan, but CT tables have weight limits, and if they exceed that, they don't get a scan. Depending on why the doctor would want an MRI, there could be other methods of imaging like an xray or ultrasound that could be done, but sometimes "excessive tissue" can make those images hard to interpret.

That's sad but also funny. I mean, I'm not a doctor but pretty sure I can diagnose a patient who's too fat for an MRI (they're too loving fat).

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Koivunen posted:

If a person can't fit in the MRI machine that's available, they don't get an MRI. The open MRI machines are bigger but there's still a limit because you are sitting within the machine and it closes in on either side, just not in front. They could get other imaging like a CT scan, but CT tables have weight limits, and if they exceed that, they don't get a scan. Depending on why the doctor would want an MRI, there could be other methods of imaging like an xray or ultrasound that could be done, but sometimes "excessive tissue" can make those images hard to interpret.

Thanks, and to all the other replies. I guess it should have been obvious. I was wondering if the tech would work the same if you made the coil larger, ie. would it be as fine resolution given that the sensors would be further away from parts of the patient's body (I have only the vaguest understanding of how an MRI works.) Also I imagine the expense of a machine increases dramatically with increasing the magnet cool diameter, so they would be rarer to find and therefore have more pressure on their time.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Is there a decent resource for finding accredited online schools? My googling is coming up with sites like bestschoolsonlinegood.rear end and I don't know which ones are legit.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bvoid posted:

Is there a decent resource for finding accredited online schools? My googling is coming up with sites like bestschoolsonlinegood.rear end and I don't know which ones are legit.

The majority of online only universities are garbage, but plenty of brick and mortar schools, especially public ones, have 100% online programs. I can't think of a single public university that wouldn't be accredited, so I would start with ones in your state (lower tuition) and see what you come up with.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

The majority of online only universities are garbage, but plenty of brick and mortar schools, especially public ones, have 100% online programs. I can't think of a single public university that wouldn't be accredited, so I would start with ones in your state (lower tuition) and see what you come up with.

Yeah I was mainly looking for B&M/public schools with 100% online drgrees. I already managed to get into one, I'm helping a friend find an online school and was hoping there was a big ol' list out there somewhere. Thanks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. How many election cycles did the US go through before the two-party system really became ensconced in its politics?

One.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

bvoid posted:

Yeah I was mainly looking for B&M/public schools with 100% online drgrees. I already managed to get into one, I'm helping a friend find an online school and was hoping there was a big ol' list out there somewhere. Thanks!

I wrote an article on this a few years back and recall http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education being a surprisingly good resource.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

bvoid posted:

You might want to get your friend to think about European universities too. Depending on the course/instutition even at international student rates it may be signficantly cheaper than local US tuition.

I did my masters online for about $4k.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Who is responsible for shipping damage, the buyer, or seller? If it's done outside any kind of marketplace like eBay (which have their own terms and policies), say if someone sells something on a forum, and it's paid with paypal, and shipped via UPS?

I assumed it was the seller, but i've been unable to find any kind of concrete legal info, or anything that's not anecdotal. Just people giving their opinions on this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Whatever the default rule is, I would be shocked if the real answer isn't "read the contract."

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Iirc with the USPS at least, the recipient is the one who files a claim for lost mail.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bongwizzard posted:

Iirc with the USPS at least, the recipient is the one who files a claim for lost mail.

Note that filing insurance claims requires you to either use a service with insurance, or buy insurance separately for other services. E.g. Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express will include it up to $50 or $100 depending for free, as long as you request it, but if you're sending it with any other USPS service you'd have to pay extra. If you don't have insurance on it, they don't owe you anything.

ChocNitty posted:

Who is responsible for shipping damage, the buyer, or seller? If it's done outside any kind of marketplace like eBay (which have their own terms and policies), say if someone sells something on a forum, and it's paid with paypal, and shipped via UPS?

I assumed it was the seller, but i've been unable to find any kind of concrete legal info, or anything that's not anecdotal. Just people giving their opinions on this.

The buyer can't be responsible for things getting damaged in shipping, unless they requested the sender to ship it in some way that makes it easier to damage, or maybe to use a shady shipping service. Otherwise it's all on the seller or the shipping company.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I want to take a box of Altoids and add a strap to it, so you can strap it to the wrist, like a watch. I have access to a workshop.

What would be the simplest/most durable method?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dawncloack posted:

I want to take a box of Altoids and add a strap to it, so you can strap it to the wrist, like a watch. I have access to a workshop.

What would be the simplest/most durable method?

Simplest: double sided foam tape

Most durable: cut two slots into the box and feed the strap through them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You could also always just glue it. That'd probably be about as durable as double-sided tape. (Read: not very)

Edit: Also if you don't want to put holes in the body of the tin, you could cut slits into each side of the hinged lid and feed the strap through that. It might affect how well the tin closes, though.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 5, 2016

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Simplest: double sided foam tape

Most durable: cut two slots into the box and feed the strap through them.

I tend to be all thumbs so I prefer not to cut two slots, thanks both ideas tough!

more contributions?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Actually, now that I think about it, your best bet is probably pop rivets. Measure and drill two holes in your strap, then drill two identical holes along the bottom of the tin. Lay the strap over the tin so the holes line up, thread pop rivets through the holes, and squeeze 'em down. That would last a good, long while.

Here's a dude doing something similar, just replace the second tin with your strap, and use two holes instead of four.

Edit: Here's another similar project, this lady uses a punch to make the holes, which might be more up your alley since you seem to have access to a workshop but appear to also be leery of actually using the tools within? A punch will go right through the thin tin of an altoid's box, and while you might have a bit of trouble with a strap you should be able to get the job done with a decently sharp awl.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 5, 2016

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, your best bet is probably pop rivets. Measure and drill two holes in your strap, then drill two identical holes along the bottom of the tin. Lay the strap over the tin so the holes line up, thread pop rivets through the holes, and squeeze 'em down. That would last a good, long while.

Here's a dude doing something similar, just replace the second tin with your strap, and use two holes instead of four.

Edit: Here's another similar project, this lady uses a punch to make the holes, which might be more up your alley since you seem to have access to a workshop but appear to also be leery of actually using the tools within? A punch will go right through the thin tin of an altoid's box, and while you might have a bit of trouble with a strap you should be able to get the job done with a decently sharp awl.

Not my workshop and I tend to make messes, that's all. Those seem to be good options, thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If you live in state A and earn wages in state B, you file taxes in state B, correct?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

If you live in state A and earn wages in state B, you file taxes in state B, correct?

Yeah

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

hooah posted:

You usually file in both states.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

hooah posted:

No, you need to file in state A, and you may also need to file a nonresident return with state B, especially if you had taxes withheld for that state. States have different laws about this type of thing. Some don't require anything if you live out of state, some do, and some of the laws can get extremely specific, e.g. if you live in Delaware but work in Maryland, you have to file one form, unless you live specifically in Wilmington, in which case you need to file a different form.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

Totally depends on what state A and B are. For example, I live in PA and used to work in NJ. Those two states have an agreement and I did not need to file in NJ, just PA. Other pairs of states are going to vary.

(read: HIRE AN ACCOUNTANT)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Totally depends on what state A and B are. For example, I live in PA and used to work in NJ. Those two states have an agreement and I did not need to file in NJ, just PA. Other pairs of states are going to vary.

(read: HIRE AN ACCOUNTANT)

Tax dodger! Seriously though NJ is dumb to continue that arrangement, they don't benefit at all.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question for any dental goons, or people who have gone through this. A friend was just told by his new dentist that due to the mercury in his amalgam (silver) fillings, they will all need to be replaced. Said guy is only early 40s, so they are relatively 'modern'. It sounds like bullshit to me, and net research seems to mostly yield dentists touting the dangers, in a very woo-science tone. Anyone know of actual science one way or another? Preferably with a handy link to send my friend.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Tax dodger! Seriously though NJ is dumb to continue that arrangement, they don't benefit at all.

As I understand it neither state is losing revenue. They settle between each other en-mass and whoever "won" cuts a check to the other for the difference in one lump sum.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Arkhamina posted:

Question for any dental goons, or people who have gone through this. A friend was just told by his new dentist that due to the mercury in his amalgam (silver) fillings, they will all need to be replaced. Said guy is only early 40s, so they are relatively 'modern'. It sounds like bullshit to me, and net research seems to mostly yield dentists touting the dangers, in a very woo-science tone. Anyone know of actual science one way or another? Preferably with a handy link to send my friend.

This link from Colgate is a pretty good overview:

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/procedures/fillings/article/dental-amalgam-a-health-risk

They make the point that removing the old fillings will release more mercury than leaving them be (and also result in losing healthy tooth) which should be enough to convince someone not to mess with them.

I'm not a dentist though, I just googled it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This link from Colgate is a pretty good overview:

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/procedures/fillings/article/dental-amalgam-a-health-risk

They make the point that removing the old fillings will release more mercury than leaving them be (and also result in losing healthy tooth) which should be enough to convince someone not to mess with them.

I'm not a dentist though, I just googled it.

Sad state of affairs when the advice from a household goods company that sells consumer goods is more trustworthy than a qualified healthcare professional

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

spog posted:

Sad state of affairs when the advice from a household goods company that sells consumer goods is more trustworthy than a qualified healthcare professional

It is, but they don't make or lose money either way and the dentist does, so I'm inclined to believe Colgate.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It is, but they don't make or lose money either way and the dentist does, so I'm inclined to believe Colgate.

There is basically nothing a corporation does that does not have the express interest of "return value to shareholders" so I'm inclined to, like, ask a medical professional, and also to ask them to please provide some medical evidence for it. If they show you a friggin Colgate study then find a different medical professional.

Please do not ever assume that a corporation has their customers' best interest at heart. That's coincidental at best.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Arkhamina posted:

The American Dental Association has a bunch of information and links to studies.

Your friend's dentist is either woo-woo or greedy or both. I would find a new dentist if I were him.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Anyone have any idea why The Great British Bake Off is called The Great British Baking Show in America?

I had no idea they showed that over there, Americans must think some odd things about us. Anyone know where I could find people talking about that (ideally on SA, but anywhere will do)?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dzhay posted:

I had no idea they showed that over there, Americans must think some odd things about us. Anyone know where I could find people talking about that (ideally on SA, but anywhere will do)?

People love it here in :patriot:. Any TV board will have threads about it; previously.tv will deliver if our own TV IV fails you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dzhay posted:

I had no idea they showed that over there, Americans must think some odd things about us.

I watch a decent number of American competitive cooking shows, and when I watched the Great British Bake Off the main difference I noticed was how much nicer the contestants were to one another. Granted, British people are more passive with their aggression, but I didn't even see much of that- people seemed to genuinely like each other and even tried to help each other. Whereas on a typical American show like Chopped the "not here to make friends" attitude is much more readily apparent. So, even though I'm not particularly interested in baking, I find the British Bake Off to be one of the most refreshing and enjoyable shows of the kind; its a reminder that in some places people can be skilled and competitive and yet not be total assholes about it

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 6, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Earwicker posted:

I watch a decent number of American competitive cooking shows, and when I watched the Great British Bake Off the main difference I noticed was how much nicer the contestants were to one another. Granted, British people are more passive with their aggression, but I didn't even see much of that- people seemed to genuinely like each other and even tried to help each other. Whereas on a typical American show like Chopped the "not here to make friends" attitude is much more readily apparent. So, even though I'm not particularly interested in baking, I find the British Bake Off to be one of the most refreshing and enjoyable shows of the kind; its a reminder that in some places people can be skilled and competitive and yet not be total assholes about it

You should check out Masterchef Australia if you can. It's less relaxed than the Bake Off since the stakes are higher and it's a little more traditional reality TV style, but the contestants and the judges all like and respect each other and are generally lovely to each other. I think there was one season near the beginning where there were a few dickheads but the producers realised pretty fast that people watch it for everyone being nice and helping each other out so every other season is just full of nice people helping each other.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Meanwhile Gordon Ramsay is pretty much solely responsible for making cooking shows terrible in the states.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I think that Ramsay was artificially rude in the US, compared to his UK shows, because that's what the ratings wanted.

He's become something of a caricature because that's what TV wants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlpjt9QjMYg

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
There is a Chinese Language Learning thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444259

There is a Japanese Language Learning thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030

There is a Russian Language Learning Thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2357406

What is the thread for learning Korean?

(I am sick of having to draw pictures to make Korean people do things, and need words (or a gun) to do my job more efficiently.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

There was an episode halfway through the season where one of the contestants was too ill to cook that day, and they were just like "Steve's too ill to bake today. He'll be back next week", and they went on with the episode. In the US, half the episode would have been shots of the poor SOB puking in his hotel room and they'd have eliminated him at the end of the show.

I found that to be refreshing - I really liked Great British Bake-Off better than these shows in the US where you just dropkick chefs in the balls for 47 minutes.