Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I imagine your fedora knows a lot about class, dude.

Also there are so many things with bad performance if not outright broken in the Vega drivers that I would be very wary of taking any suggested performance as indicated. Is primitive geometry discarding working yet, or did that get pushed aside for the cryptomining drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just lol if it ever outperforms a 1080ti in gaming. They would be an excellent day, but by then they'll be xx50 or xx60 or Navi or whatever. Meh.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 23, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

^^^ :toxx: it if you mean it

inkwell posted:

The cooling is rear end yes, but the VRM is actually really good? and the limit is at least partly because the chips are overclocked to get close to the 1080?

Wrong, the cards are hilariously over-volted from the factory to allow AMD to be less selective in their binning and use lower quality chips. A "good bin" will hit much higher sustained clocks at 200mv+ lower than stock.

As we have also recently discovered, aggressively undervolting and underclocking the core clock is freeing up some combination of thermal and electrical overhead, allowing for higher memory clocks. Not only does this make up for the performance "lost" from uv/uc, it has Vega 56's performing better than stock 64s!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man people just can't help but take bait.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'll toxx myself that it doesn't outperform a 1080ti in games before Volta launches, if you toxx yourself that it will, New Zealand can eat me.

:toxx: challenge

I hope it does.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 23, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

But are you spending like, your own real money from work or your parents? Are you poor???

I understand not reading previous posts to make an informed statement is a cool thing to do, obtuse goons and all that… but I need you to understand that my Fury OC paid for itself so many times over mining ETH that the biggest limiting factor in how many graphics cards I can purchase are capital gains taxes.

fake edit: nvm seems like you finally read up a bit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

my Fury OC paid for itself so many times over mining ETH that the biggest limiting factor in how many graphics cards I can purchase are capital gains taxes.

New thread title right here.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'll toxx myself that it doesn't outperform a 1080ti in games before Volta launches, if you toxx yourself that it will, New Zealand can eat me.

:toxx: challenge

I hope it does.

It being "any vega" ?

New Zealand can indeed eat you

:toxx: accepted

half the fun of buying AMD poo poo is how much it seems to upset goons.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
AMD Does what nvDon't indeed.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I don't think anyone is really upset, we're just amused by your comically absurd posts about jumping through hoops to undervolt and boost memory clocks and your unironic love of FineWine about a card that is, at the end of the day, something that can kinda match a 1080 that was released over a year ago, still consumes enough power to make your lights flicker when you power on your PC, all wrapped up in the only in-stock SKUs that force you into objectively bad deals with bundled games codes or overpriced monitors.

But if that's half the fun of the AMD Experience (TM), then count me out

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It being "any vega" ?

New Zealand can indeed eat you

:toxx: accepted

half the fun of buying AMD poo poo is how much it seems to upset goons.

Vega 64, why not.

I'm not upset at all. I want to lose the challenge.

Finewine that fucker, AMD, and I can run an all AMD system again for the first time since my old Phenom2 / 7850.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 23, 2017

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^ I already have a gift cert ready for either one of us, not letting you spend real money on this, save it for the Vega :smug:

metallicaeg posted:

I don't think anyone is really upset, we're just amused by your comically absurd posts about jumping through hoops to undervolt and boost memory clocks and your unironic love of FineWine about a card that is, at the end of the day, something that can kinda match a 1080 that was released over a year ago, still consumes enough power to make your lights flicker when you power on your PC, all wrapped up in the only in-stock SKUs that force you into objectively bad deals with bundled games codes or overpriced monitors.

But if that's half the fun of the AMD Experience (TM), then count me out

You could have stopped after the first 3 words. This is hardly hoop jumping, some of the better (more interesting) posters in this thread readily desolder LEDs and bypass protection circuits to overvolt their cards. Some of us have hobbies that we enjoy, do you have any besides hyperbole and having opinions about tech youtubers? I understand SHSC posters range from can-do enthusiasts to lazy consumerists, but I can't really see why someone like you would bother with a post like this. Consider yourself counted out!

:thumbsup:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

^ I already have a gift cert ready for either one of us, not letting you spend real money on this, save it for the Vega :smug:

:thumbsup:

That owns.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I like to smoke VRMs. If I haven't mentioned my RX Vega 64 Nitro+ my account has been stolen.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Watch Nvidia release Volta for the Christmas market
*wet fart*

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

my Fury OC paid for itself so many times over mining ETH

Gimmick posters haven't been allowed for about 13 years now, but nice try.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edit: Yeah, AMD's turnaround time is so very bad that they've only got a monopoly on the console graphics market. lol

Don't consoles have extremely long turnaround time compared to desktop components?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Craptacular! posted:

Gimmick posters haven't been allowed for about 13 years now, but nice try.

poo poo, I could have been a gimmick already?????

I am evil Gibson. Enter hackers reference> _

To keep on topic, how is the performance of over clocking the 1070? Should I try undervolting because the only over clocking I've done is just afterburner

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

To keep on topic, how is the performance of over clocking the 1070? Should I try undervolting because the only over clocking I've done is just afterburner

Pascal is power limited, so undervolting should give you *more* oc headroom. At least thats the way I understand it to be

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any Pascal should be able to hit just about 2000Mhz core clock with something like a +250-400 on memory. The core clock alone is like a 25% over stock, gives a nice boost to performance. The biggest factor is memory speeds though, Pascal is throttled by poor bandwidth. You get more fps from memory OC than you do clock OC.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

My hot, hopeful take on all of this is that AMD learned some lessons about PCB design/VRMs while working on the 64, and incorporated some of this into the 56. I thanked my friend for allowing me to beat on this while he waits for parts, and look forward to buying Sapphire's custom design. I see a lot of people that don't want to wait, and have bought 1080s instead, but I earnestly think that it's worth holding out for a few more months. If the STRIX variant's benchmarks are any indication, there's a lot AMD left on the table.
Unless GN received some engineering sample or other non-retail board, the 56 has the same VRM and PCB as both the 64 and FE.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 23, 2017

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA stripped their uarch down to the bare essentials. This started back with Kepler, where they actually slowed down some instructions because making all the instructions take the same amount of time let them ditch the instruction-level scheduler. Maxwell/Pascal take this even further, there is basically nothing except the bare minimum of fixed-function hardware (ROPs/TMUs) that is actually necessary to do graphics. Everything else is either run on the shader cores (eg geometry) or pushed onto the CPU. And every time they strip things down further they plow all the gains right back into putting more cores on the die. Basically Maxwell/Pascal is as close to "nothing but graphics cores" as NVIDIA's engineers can manage.

In contrast AMD is still running an old-school compute-oriented uarch, they still have all that stuff on the chip. It was great against Fermi, it did fine against Kepler, but it's fallen further and further behind Maxwell/Pascal in gaming performance. AMD drastically under-invested during this time period - Raja actually mentioned that around 2012 (i.e. just prior to the Hawaii launch) AMD's leadership thought discrete GPUs were going away, and R&D appears to have drastically tailed off as a result. To make matters worse their drivers have acquired a reputation for sucking hard, especially right at launch (aka FineWine).

It would be better if AMD could make two separate chips, one for compute and one for gaming. But they can't afford that, and they still have fantasies (delusions) of competing in the compute/datacenter market. So what they've had to do instead is try and make gaming workloads more like compute workloads - eg things like having graphics kernels launch async tasks to run in the background to fill pipeline bubbles. But this effectively means that they have to fight an uphill battle to get gamedevs to use the dumb poo poo they come up with, and this requires lots of low-level programming that gives people lots of opportunities to write lovely code that doesn't run well.

So what it comes down to is that NVIDIA has advantages both in software and hardware. They are running the absolute minimum hardware that is necessary and using the die space to just cram on all the cores, and then finding ways to work around the resulting limitations. Whereas AMD is constantly trying to push some new bullshit to make their circa-2012 uarch perform acceptably, and they've more or less just finally hit the tipping point from "behind but still a reasonable budget pick" into "this is stupid, why would you buy this".
Just posting to say thanks, this was v interesting.

As a complete GPU layman I'm really surprised that AMD doesn't have more of an advantage given that gaming devs optimize for GCN in PS4/XONE.

eames
May 9, 2009

Overclocking 1070 and pascal in general is possible but performance gains are minimal compared to additional power consumption/heat output because the GPU boost technology is good at finding an acceptable trade off.
Beware of "invisible" throttling when you push the card to its stability limits as lower clocks may end up giving you higher performance.

If power/heat/noise doesn't matter to you then go for it but I've settled for 1633 Mhz at 0.8V, making my Asus card inaudible at ~75-90W without any perceptible FPS loss in my preferred games. Memory overclocking is definitely worth it though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

kirtar posted:

Unless GN received some engineering sample or other non-retail board, the 56 has the same VRM and PCB as both the 64 and FE.

It's hard to say what GN did or didn't receive/notice, but there are other reviews that have pointed out the PCB color is different on their 56 (more green than red/brown). I want to say the first dude on HardOCP who had the core underclock/hbm overclock breakthrough commented that both revision numbers were more recent on both the PCB and the chip itself. IIRC he had the Gigabyte variant.

This has almost always been the case with both processors and GPUs, the stuff coming off the line in later production cycles bin higher more consistently, and also tend to be less likely to fall victim to the bathtub curve. Obviously there are not nearly as many 56's in the wild right now, but I have seen a handful of DOA reports for 64's and none yet for the 56.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i knew we were gonna have an unironic vega defender eventually, and im just thankful its as loud and dumb and proud as that guy

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The big problem with Vega is it might have been competitive if they were able to pull off a 100 dollar price cut but instead they delivered a 100 dollar price increase. The 1080 competitor is now 700 dollars and the 1070 competitor is now 500 dollars.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Cygni posted:

i knew we were gonna have an unironic vega defender eventually, and im just thankful its as loud and dumb and proud as that guy

Tell me this isn't better than discussing the various merits of "tech youtubers", I know that's a low bar but watching, participating in, and profiting from the Vega release is certainly far more interesting to me.

Edit: vvv how are these dudes supposed to be like, "professional journalists" or whatever but you click on the link expecting content and he's just loving with stream settings. Seems like something to figure out before you go live?

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 23, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

GN doing a live thing with Vega 56 right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fc1wti2EG8

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bless their little hearts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sent from my iPad posted:

Just posting to say thanks, this was v interesting.

As a complete GPU layman I'm really surprised that AMD doesn't have more of an advantage given that gaming devs optimize for GCN in PS4/XONE.

If you're Overwatch, you're coding in OpenGL on PS4 but DirectX on Windows. Part of that is that the advantages of OGL that John Carmack used to evangelize in his .plan file while developing Quake II ("look at all this extra code required for each triangle") is dead, and a large part of it is that OGL development has likely moved to Vulkan if only for mobile architectures.

But worse for AMD, you're coding in DX11, because to code in DX12 and be on the bleeding edge is going to raise your system requirements.

Basically the game industry edge of this reflects the whole "gaming as a service" concept you see in neverending matchmaking-driven competitive games or subscription MMO like titles. AMD will do well with next year's big single player epics, but their crappy DX11 performance will keep leaving them behind for some years on games intended for cybercafes in the third world.

And that's assuming those titles ever decide to move on (at least Valve proves they do) and not pull a World of Warcraft and do 30fps on a 1080 because "sorry guys but three threads seemed like enough in 2004."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

craig588 posted:

The big problem with Vega is it might have been competitive if they were able to pull off a 100 dollar price cut but instead they delivered a 100 dollar price increase. The 1080 competitor is now 700 dollars and the 1070 competitor is now 500 dollars.

To be fair prices were going to end up high regardless for at least the first month because of pent up demand and low production, and then who knows how miners are affecting prices or how they would continue to affect prices once supply and demand from the rest of the market started to balance out? The issue is that AMD did not get out in front of this price issue right away and has left lingering questions that make it look like they are at least partially responsible for the price increases and are trying to lie to everyone about it. If they had gotten out in front of this right away, in the first day or two, there is a fair chance that this would not have been nearly as bad PR wise. The problem is RTG is disorganized and incompetent, look at stuff like them saying that they don't want the cards in the hands of miners while at the same time releasing a mining specific driver, either utterly boneheaded or blatantly deceptive.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

To be fair prices were going to end up high regardless for at least the first month because of pent up demand and low production, and then who knows how miners are affecting prices or how they would continue to affect prices once supply and demand from the rest of the market started to balance out? The issue is that AMD did not get out in front of this price issue right away and has left lingering questions that make it look like they are at least partially responsible for the price increases and are trying to lie to everyone about it. If they had gotten out in front of this right away, in the first day or two, there is a fair chance that this would not have been nearly as bad PR wise. The problem is RTG is disorganized and incompetent, look at stuff like them saying that they don't want the cards in the hands of miners while at the same time releasing a mining specific driver, either utterly boneheaded or blatantly deceptive.

That and people like their pitchforks

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

SlayVus posted:

Any Pascal should be able to hit just about 2000Mhz core clock with something like a +250-400 on memory. The core clock alone is like a 25% over stock, gives a nice boost to performance. The biggest factor is memory speeds though, Pascal is throttled by poor bandwidth. You get more fps from memory OC than you do clock OC.

Pascal is the first gen I hardly feel the need to OC. In the past I lived my life 13 mhz at a time

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Wasn't the issue that AMD set a MRSP that's below the price retailers pay to their suppliers?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ragingsheep posted:

Wasn't the issue that AMD set a MRSP that's below the price retailers pay to their suppliers?

No, the problem is that people speculate based on limited and often vague information.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

kirtar posted:

No, the problem is that people speculate based on limited and often vague information.

The problem is reviewers made recommendations based on a price that turned out to be $100 cheaper than the actual price which completely skews their analysis. Other than that I don't really see a problem with AMD pricing their card so high that nobody will buy it. It's only a problem for them really, there are plenty of nVidia cards at somewhat reasonable prices.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can anyone tell me why this card sucks?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137094&cm_re=MSI_GeForce_GTX_1060-_-14-137-094-_-Product

I'm looking at getting a 1060 and this seems like it has specs very similar to the MSI gaming X 1060 but it is significantly cheaper. The card also appears smaller but all the specs seem in line. I hear the fan can get a bit loud but that is a non-issue for me.

This thing is for suckers right?

or this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 24, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Smaller heatsink + only one fan = it'll run warmer at a low fan speed compared to a card with a larger heatsink + multiple fans. You can alleviate this by increasing the fan speed, but that'll generate some noise. Though if that's a non-issue as you say, poo poo, go for it.

If you like going for stupid overclocks that need increased voltage and power limits (and therefore more heat generation) you might consider spending the extra twenty and getting something with two fans and a bigger heatsink from, say, EVGA.

Assuming good thermals, I don't think there's a single 1060 (or any Pascal card for that matter) that won't boost to 2 GHz if you want to overclock. It's all about heat dissipation up to that point.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Pretty sure the Gaming X 1060 is is $430 on Newegg due to coin miners. That's way above MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Just read reviews on the card and see. I have a 1070 aero it and it is fantastic.