Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
if you like getting real granular and or weird with your perks, give RPGO a try. It can be a bit of a rabbit hole though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I like to commemorate notable achievements by mashing the randomize button until I get a hilariously lovely "Bradford took this photo with his phone" result, then putting ridiculous meme text over it. I also like to mark those ones as favourites and delete all the automatically generated ones that I don't care about, so that I can laugh again every time I see one of my crappy propaganda posters plastered on a wall during a mission

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

I like to commemorate notable achievements by mashing the randomize button until I get a hilariously lovely "Bradford took this photo with his phone" result, then putting ridiculous meme text over it. I also like to mark those ones as favourites and delete all the automatically generated ones that I don't care about, so that I can laugh again every time I see one of my crappy propaganda posters plastered on a wall during a mission

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1601400977

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

My god. The T-pose one. My god

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

My god. The T-pose one. My god

It's real good

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 8, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wish AP was a bit easier to come by but you ended with some really powerful soldiers regardless.

You might have overlooked it because it was your first WotC run, but earlier in the thread I think I told you that the real reason for the existence of the Chosen is to farm them for AP ;)

It can get boring and feel like a grind though, so after a while I just go "ok, gently caress it, A-Team is good enough let's wrap this up."

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Every time I've tried to use that mod it causes my game to crash far more often. Removing it fixes the crashes. I want to use it, but I'm guessing I just don't have enough RAM for it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

if you like getting real granular and or weird with your perks, give RPGO a try. It can be a bit of a rabbit hole though.

I loved my RPGO runthrough but I did feel like you've gotta have clear ideas of how you want to build your soldiers (hence the RPG aspect). For me I did a full Mass Effect rpg playthrough (with a couple of other RPGO packs to get more "biotic" powers) so that made it easy, but if I was just coming at RPGO blank I think it would be hard not to just minmax cheese it.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I loved my RPGO runthrough but I did feel like you've gotta have clear ideas of how you want to build your soldiers (hence the RPG aspect). For me I did a full Mass Effect rpg playthrough (with a couple of other RPGO packs to get more "biotic" powers) so that made it easy, but if I was just coming at RPGO blank I think it would be hard not to just minmax cheese it.

This is partially why I'm a big advocate of random classes, because that definitely focuses your troops. The only issue is getting unlucky and ending up with someone a little worthless.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Torchlighter posted:

This is partially why I'm a big advocate of random classes, because that definitely focuses your troops. The only issue is getting unlucky and ending up with someone a little worthless.

I give that solider my IRL name

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I make a lot of characters from other stuff so I see how close I can get to their usual abilities with RPGO perks. Certainly helps pick those "background" ones at least.

Sometimes I just pick a few weird trees and play with it and see how it works out. Pharmacist trees are pretty cool, especially with Dedicated Sidearm Slot.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

playing EU with the long war mod. had a mission where I could've sworn I had cleared every pod, but I was still getting "what was that sound?" notifications that seemed to point everywhere. only by running a guy on the nearby roof and accidentally drawing overwatch did I find the little guy:

stuck in a hole between the walls and a dumpster that I didn't even know existed. how did you get in there, you scamp

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

XCOM 2 Collection - all DLC basically - which has already been ported to IOS, is now out for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.feralinteractive.xcom2_android

Feral Interactive seem to have a pretty good track record with updating their ports so far from what I'm reading on the reddit forums. Early reports are that the game is running fine on the lowest spec phones supported (SD845 so like Galaxy S9 tier and up). Price is high for a mobile game, but this is the full PC experience with all DLC, and we're just so used to mobile games being shithouse race-to-the-bottom garbage. Probably going to wait a short while before picking this up for bug fixes, though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

There's some weird mobile poo poo called 'XCOM legends' floating about, not linking because (a), it's infuriatingly bad, and b, I don't know if that poo poo's legit or not so I'm not giving hits until I know, but it looks real bad.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

StratGoatCom posted:

There's some weird mobile poo poo called 'XCOM legends' floating about, not linking because (a), it's infuriatingly bad, and b, I don't know if that poo poo's legit or not so I'm not giving hits until I know, but it looks real bad.

hmm

hmmmmmm

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Then again, one factor pushing for 'legit' at least at some point is that E3 show, as they may not have wanted a repeat of that Diablo fiasco and cancelled at the last minute.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh lol its a F2P 5v5 pvp poo poo game, not even actual XCOM combat

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ahaha. You dont even get to watch your dudes shoot aliens? If phones games didnt print money I would be amazed firaxis gave them the license to play with.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Commander! You only have a 47% chance to land the hit…

…but with this SCOPE BOOST (x1) you can raise it to 90%!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Lhqri8tZk

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

Then again, one factor pushing for 'legit' at least at some point is that E3 show, as they may not have wanted a repeat of that Diablo fiasco and cancelled at the last minute.

Lol

But also

Gimme those models for xcom2 dress up :ninja:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It did get confirmed as legit by 2k.

Look on the bright side: It's not like they pulled a Diablo Immortal on us by promising a new XCOM game and trying to hype it up before delivering this.

This would seem to indicate that they understand that people who pay attention to gaming companies, and people who flock to mobile games are two different groups and that advertising a mobile game to their playerbase will do nothing but irritate them.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is pathetic. Legends is like a generic gacha game from a generation ago where every franchise made a lovely turn based thing with the same combat.

Meanwhile regular gacha game are actually approaching legit gameplay

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yxQRxHdFntY

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but at the end of the day they're all still slot machines designed to prey on people's vulnerabilities to get at their wallet.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

wait, this is actually real? not an IP steal? i literally cannot believe that, where did they confirm that this has their blessing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Vigilo Confidohno

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Muscle Tracer posted:

wait, this is actually real? not an IP steal? i literally cannot believe that, where did they confirm that this has their blessing.

firaxis isn't touching it, i assume this is a 2k thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Vigilo Confidohno

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Coolguye posted:

firaxis isn't touching it, i assume this is a 2k thing.

Considering that rumors went back to 2020 apparently, 2k may well have decided not to push it outside of the Philippines and cut their losses.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Back on my xcom2 bullshit

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Gacha game is Advent propaganda. Don’t believe Snakeman’s lies!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjwOAK53oaY

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
XcomWatch.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can anyone speak on Long War of the Chosen here?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can anyone speak on Long War of the Chosen here?

Yeah, I've played a bunch of it. Any questions or anything?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've heard a reference to overhearing your troops chatting in the bar in XCOM 2, but I've never seen it. Does that only happen in an expansion or mod or something?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Chamale posted:

I've heard a reference to overhearing your troops chatting in the bar in XCOM 2, but I've never seen it. Does that only happen in an expansion or mod or something?
You don't hear it, but when you zoom into the bar you'll see animations of your unarmored troops hanging out, drinking etc. It seems a little buggy; the models lag and pop in / out at times.

In the vanilla game there's basically no reason to visit the bar except if you want to see your memorial for some reason, so you miss it and almost all the Jake Busey pirate radio barks. But there's a pretty clutch mod that makes the bar an active "facility" that speeds up will recovery for a few soldiers at a time, and that brings you into the view way more. I forget what the mod's name is, though :[

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zore posted:

Yeah, I've played a bunch of it. Any questions or anything?

Is it stable enough to play on ironman?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I started a new LWOTC campaign with RPGO hacked in and I haven't had a single crash yet after 20ish missions. I wouldn't trust it for iron man though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It wasn't the last time I played though they have done a bunch of fixes in the last few months. Last communication from the devs on that was to wait for their imminent 1.0 release if you want to do ironman just because that's basically what they're focusing on now.

There's also enough edge case bullshit because of how they've pushed the systems that ironman probably isn't a great idea anyways imo. Like I've had Troop ambush missions where I ostensibly started concealed but the enemies spawned close enough to immediately activate before I moved which ended up being a combination of a number of factors etc.

Also the Chosen are utter horseshit right now, though they are thankfully being toned down patch after patch. The biggest issue is that the two main devs are 1) A dude who barely plays and mostly got roped in because he's good at coding and 2) A dude who is absolutely burned out on X2 and obsessed with making everything harder

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 20, 2021