Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Billion Muslims world wide? We probably only need to kill a few million to stop radicalization!

E: after skimming through I don’t actually see any reference to the fundamental problems that lead to the situations that IS and their ilk recruit from which is poor uneducated people with no opportunity. You might kill one organization but you can’t kill the entire movement.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Chickenhawks and snake eaters are usually the sort of people who think that poor, uneducated people deserve it, so it would be easy to sell them the idea that you need to kill the poors.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I eagerly await their followup about the Final Solution to the Muslim Question.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"If it works against nation-states; it'll work against nihilistic death cults!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I like how they skipped Vietnam, where kill counts were literally the metric of war and the Korean conflict.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Clearly the only reason we failed there was that we limited ourselves to legal combatants instead on annihilating the resistant population with biological & chemical weapons for failing to surrender at first warning and executing all males taller than a wagon axle. :rolleyes:

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
I'm starting to think that early 2000's apologism for war crimes might not have been super morally good and perhaps contributed to some bad norms.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

So what are the standards of publishing for the US Naval Institute other than apparently low.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Well, he isnt wrong, glassing every country that is on the pentagons shitlist WOULD make the shitlist empty. And If that radicalises more people it just means it takes a little longer. As ron perlman states on the vault 13 ending on fallout 2: ”genocide is a viable option to any problem”

makes me glad POTUS cant read, tho, nobody read that article to him Please.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

JcDent posted:

Chickenhawks and snake eaters are usually the sort of people who think that poor, uneducated people deserve it, so it would be easy to sell them the idea that you need to kill the poors.

I know what "Chickenhawk" means, but "snake eater" is new to me, and Googling only brings up Metal Gear Solid 3. Care to define?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Special forces.

I'm willing to bet those authors hit must of the boxes in born again evangelical shithead bingo too and are a good argument towards civilian oversight of the military.

Make war crimes great again. Fukken toolbags.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I know I was pretty :stare: through most of American Sniper. Nothing says ‘Merica like talking about how god wants you to cap some poor bastard 14 year old that got dragged into this mess but the clueless officers won’t let you. These guys seem right up his alley.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Clearly the only reason we failed there was that we limited ourselves to legal combatants instead on annihilating the resistant population with biological & chemical weapons for failing to surrender at first warning and executing all males taller than a wagon axle. :rolleyes:

Well, that and the Soviets might have retaliated by exterminating our allies in their proxy wars. They might have gassed and/or glassed the Mujahideen in the 80s, for instance.

Wait...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

I know I was pretty :stare: through most of American Sniper. Nothing says ‘Merica like talking about how god wants you to cap some poor bastard 14 year old that got dragged into this mess but the clueless officers won’t let you. These guys seem right up his alley.

I got called unpatriotic in basic because I said that the book American Sniper really disturbed me for that exact reason. Didn't end up seeing the movie, but it doesnt surprise me that it didn't change jack or poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain von Trapp posted:

Well, that and the Soviets might have retaliated by exterminating our allies in their proxy wars. They might have gassed and/or glassed the Mujahideen in the 80s, for instance.

Wait...

I used to have a stack of Soldier of Fortune magazines from the early 80s, that were given to me by a friend of my mother who was in the Australian SAS in Vietnam. I definitely remember articles in them about the Glorious Mujahideen who were Our Staunch Allies in the Ongoing Battle against the Savage Communist Hegemony.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Alaan posted:

There's some real severe :stare: In the book too, apparently. I really hope he was inflating his numbers because the alternatives lead to some pretty serious awful.

It's disconcerting when one guy has around half the claimed kills of all the seals combined in a battle he wasn't there for all of and he says stuff like he did.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 8, 2017

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I’m strictly going by book. Didn’t see the movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xthetenth posted:

There's some real severe :stare: In the book too, apparently. I really hope he was inflating his numbers because the alternatives lead to some pretty serious awful.

It's disconcerting when one guy has around half the claimed kills of all the seals combined in a battle he wasn't there for all of and he says stuff like he did.

Chris Kyle was a chronic bullshitter who considered kill counts his defining personality trait. He told a story about killing two truck thieves at a gas station in 2009 and had the government intervene to keep him from being arrested, which everyone "heard of" but had no police tape or security camera footage that anyone could view to confirm it. He also claimed to have killed upwards of 30 looters during Katrina, which is laughably fake.

If he was still alive, there's no telling how much he would have inflated his "legend" in the past 4 years.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

chitoryu12 posted:

Chris Kyle was a chronic bullshitter who considered kill counts his defining personality trait. He told a story about killing two truck thieves at a gas station in 2009 and had the government intervene to keep him from being arrested, which everyone "heard of" but had no police tape or security camera footage that anyone could view to confirm it. He also claimed to have killed upwards of 30 looters during Katrina, which is laughably fake.

If he was still alive, there's no telling how much he would have inflated his "legend" in the past 4 years.

I still regret investing in his "Chris Kyle: PTSD Shooting Range Resort and Wellness Centre" endeavour.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 9, 2017

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

And a monstrous aspiration.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

He would be hiding out in Georgia (the nation)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah. Which is probably a good thing, because the other explanation would be probably him war crimesing it up in a huge way in Fallujah.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Blistex posted:

I still regret investing in his "Chris Kyle: PTSD Shooting Range Resort and Wellness Centre" endeavour.

At least is wasn't doobies doghouse.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

At least is wasn't doobies doghouse.

Vent hoods!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That article is an absolute mess of unsupported assumptions and claims, and at one point it mentions Dick Winters from Band of Brothers seemingly just to invoke the name. It also seems to believe that WWII is a 1:1 representation of our current conflicts while totally failing to reference Vietnam, which is real funny!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
We cannot defeat Radical Islam (tm) with "precision strikes" alone -- we gotta use saturation bombing, too!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hubis posted:

We cannot defeat Radical Islam (tm) with "precision strikes" alone -- we gotta use saturation bombing, too!

I remember that 'presentation' that was done up to look real about using retroviruses to eliminate Muslims through infertility and other genetic manipulation to encourage passivity and ~tranquility~ that was done 'shaky-cam' style to make it *look real* to anyone who watched it. I'm sure that's still making the rounds...except now we've got a president who'd take it seriously.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Using retroviruses to target population would never backfire, no. After all, it would only target Muslim genes!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JcDent posted:

Using retroviruses to target population would never backfire, no. After all, it would only target Muslim genes!

Surely we share nothing in common whatsoever with those ~savages~!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

Can't Kill Enough to Win? Think Again

The Battle of The Somme was cool and good, and should serve as a template for COIN operations in the middle east. Also, My Lai is underappreciated as a tactical victory.

Finally read this. It is an absolute mess of an article.

Without too massive a deep dive, some weird poo poo it brings up:

1. Unsupported claims that tons of soldiers and officers are going to prison over killing the "wrong person." Nope, the people going to prison were doing poo poo like rapes, kill teams, or snapping and killing a bunch of civilians on purpose. Here's about the most ambiguous case (it's not), wherein an LT ordered a soldier to shoot two men for having motorcycles, in violation of ROE - https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.f4ddbb271a7f
2. Claims kill counts get victories: Vietnam disagrees. WW2 got a lot of people killed, but in hindsight the strategic city bombing campaigns were not as effective as we expected and were very costly to allied forces.
3. Somehow says kill counts get victories, but brings up the cold war? Did I miss the big, hot war between the US and USSR?
4. Uses Desert Storm to support carpet bombing and indiscriminate killing - Thankfully, that was largely a conventional force fight in areas where it was rather easy to target major military formations in the relative open, not a COIN fight in towns and cities
5. Cites literally zero successful historic COIN (presumably because outside of genocide there aren't a lot of good examples where the answer is :killing:)
6. Lumps ISIL in with the 9/11 attack and likens it to Imperial Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor :wtc:
7. Just a bunch of really unsupported claims or claims that are demonstrably false.
8. Random drunk uncle rant about climate change and sexual harassment at the end, as if it really drive home that a couple retired angry cranks wrote this.
9. Hilariously, complains a ton about ignorant or poorly trained lawyers being the problem and how they're wrongheaded (both authors were judge advocates, so methinks they might have an axe to grind)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just about every higher-level seminar/organization/whatever in the US military has at least one of "those guys" in it. They're very fond of (mis)quoting Sun Tzu and Clausewitz (or Mahan in this case).

That being said I do think that if the US and friends ever find themselves in a proper shooting war with a well equipped and motivated adversary the casualty rate on both sides will be shocking.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

That being said I do think that if the US and friends ever find themselves in a proper shooting war with a well equipped and motivated adversary the casualty rate on both sides will be shocking.

Yeah. Also it's entirely possible to complain about this or that ROE or policy without jumping off the dummy cliff as hard as the article authors did.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I just don't get how these people never turn around and wonder what they would do if some assholes from another country came to America and burned down a couple of villages and carpetbombed a bunch of cities. Somehow I don't think the answer would be "hide in my house and pray really hard I am spared".

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. Also it's entirely possible to complain about this or that ROE or policy without jumping off the dummy cliff as hard as the article authors did.

I have a feeling that the author's interpretation of the situation in Korea is that we wouldn't be in this mess if that pansy Truman had taken MacArthur off the chain and let him nuke China.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Picture of the author:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaan posted:

So what are the standards of publishing for the US Naval Institute other than apparently low.

Usually better than this. That article is about an inch away from complaining about millennial soldiers listening to raps and shooting all the jobs instead of shooting all the Musselmen.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
It doesn't leave the ground, yet it's still kind of related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfson8bqi8c

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Re: the original question of zombiechat: isn't that what the post-Cold War USAF specializes in? Being able to get a couple squadrons of F-15s/-22s anywhere in the world within three days, etablish air superiority in the first week, have the heavies flying from/to US bases bouncing rubble the second week, and be fully deployed within a month? Or has that capability been degraded a bit over the last fifteen years?

Full disclosure: I think I got that from Tom Cancy's nonfiction book about a fighter squadron, so ...

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/djsnm/status/940066421614059520

That’s pretty awesome and i don’t think I heard of this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Delivery McGee posted:

Re: the original question of zombiechat: isn't that what the post-Cold War USAF specializes in? Being able to get a couple squadrons of F-15s/-22s anywhere in the world within three days, etablish air superiority in the first week, have the heavies flying from/to US bases bouncing rubble the second week, and be fully deployed within a month? Or has that capability been degraded a bit over the last fifteen years?

Full disclosure: I think I got that from Tom Cancy's nonfiction book about a fighter squadron, so ...

No, that's still very much a thing. And it's still executed from time to time. The 1st Fighter Wing was in Saudi Arabia within something like 48 hrs from when the flag went up for the Desert Shield buildup, along with tankers and AWACS. I know AWACS had multiple aircraft and crews in position alongside other assets in about the same amount of time when Odyssey Dawn (Libya) kicked off.