Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Maybe Brienne can't claim the surname after walking out on her family to be a hedge knight. Like, she got disowned and now is effectively common.

I feel like there were people in the books who said Brienne's father was a pretty chill easy-going character. I don't think he'd do something petty like that, even if social mores called for it.

Saying, "...of Tarth," is maybe more linked to being female wherein a lady is referred to as a commodity and a symbol of her homeland's decorum. The characters can't get past the fog wall of just calling her Brienne Tarth, at least partly because her occupation (of choice) goes against thousands of years of Westerosi history. Like, if she had a brother named Bob, he'd just be"Bob Tarth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Yeah it's not that it's new or unheard of, it's that it seriously is a 1:1000 chance of it working.

Next order of business:

Balerion the Black Dread's skull has been seen several times now, way bigger than a human. It's like 7 feet tall and maybe 20 feet+ long. Easily bigger than a Cadillac Escalade.

So is Drogon just a baby still, or is he a crappy small dragon?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though that was a normal scorpion that was designed to be used against dudes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been wondering the same. Drogon should still be growing, at the very least. Only Rhaegal and Viserion were kept inside during Dany's stint in Meereen.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wasn't there that thing where the dragons need lots of space and food to grow? And she had them chained up for a while and the restricted from eating random peoples herds and children after so they're stunted. You people have to be cold as gently caress to raise a full grown dragon cuz you have to just let then eat every random street urchin they see.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mad Hamish posted:

I just had so much trouble believing that one person could load it and aim it with actual success in hitting a fast-moving, distant airborne target that no-one in living memory had ever tried to shoot at before.

I can believe that people might have tried using ballistae against dragons during the Targaryen civil war, but I don't think you'd have a very good success rate. They're not Discworld characters in 'Guards! Guards!', one-in-a-million chances don't pop up nine times out of ten.

Edit: I will say that the Lannister army showed astounding discipline in their ranks when an actual dragon shows up and starts breathing napalm at them. Is my D&D nerd showing if I expect people (and horses) to experience dragonfear?

The thing's a giant crossbow (or arbalest, I guess). It's not like soldiers are going to have a terribly hard time figuring out how to load and aim a scorpion. The reactions I've seen of "how'd Bronn know how to use it that's dumb" are weird. The guy's been a mercenary his whole life. He's going to know how a crossbow works, even if Jamie didn't show it to him off-screen at some point.

Mad Hamish posted:

I just had so much trouble believing that one person could load it and aim it with actual success in hitting a fast-moving, distant airborne target that no-one in living memory had ever tried to shoot at before.

I can believe that people might have tried using ballistae against dragons during the Targaryen civil war, but I don't think you'd have a very good success rate. They're not Discworld characters in 'Guards! Guards!', one-in-a-million chances don't pop up nine times out of ten.

Edit: I will say that the Lannister army showed astounding discipline in their ranks when an actual dragon shows up and starts breathing napalm at them. Is my D&D nerd showing if I expect people (and horses) to experience dragonfear?

Jaime's a Paladin Solamnic Knight and gave them bonuses to their saving throws?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yeah it's not that it's new or unheard of, it's that it seriously is a 1:1000 chance of it working.

Next order of business:

Balerion the Black Dread's skull has been seen several times now, way bigger than a human. It's like 7 feet tall and maybe 20 feet+ long. Easily bigger than a Cadillac Escalade.

So is Drogon just a baby still, or is he a crappy small dragon?

Drogon's only a few years old, tops. Balerion lived for something like 200 years didn't they? Pretty sure both the books and the show have mentioned that dragons never stop growing in size as long as they aren't living in a confined space. I'm curious how the hell the Targs kept Balerion fed because a create that size is going to eat an absolute fuckton of meat on a regular basis. Unless Balerion was grabbing whales out in the narrow sea there'd have to have been dozens or hundreds of farmsteads that existed solely to supply livestock to feed him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Drogon wasn't chained with the others, he was off terrorising the Meereenese countryside.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think it's a matter of being caged up for a little bit. How much time could that have been? Balerion was over 100 years old during the conquest, they probably just keep growing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, afaik they only started to get smaller and having shorter lifespans once the Targs started keeping them in the pit at King's Landing. Balerion likely had the run of Dragonstone and the ocean for most of its life.

Locking them up for a bit may stunt their growth, but idk if it's as permanent as keeping them inside almost always from birth.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I forgot the age and keep growing thing. And Drogon was never in captivity.

So yeah, he's still just a baby.

Only thought of it because in that one fly-by shot he really wasn't that impressive in size. When you read the books Balerion basically comes across as a flying death sentence like 300 feet long.

Hopefully between season 7 and 8 we'll have one of those magic not-time-skips where everyone is a year or more older and 12 year old Bran has a full beard and Drogon blocks out the sun.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The wall falls at the end of the season, can't imagine that leaves much time between that and white walker carnage.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The thing's a giant crossbow (or arbalest, I guess). It's not like soldiers are going to have a terribly hard time figuring out how to load and aim a scorpion. The reactions I've seen of "how'd Bronn know how to use it that's dumb" are weird. The guy's been a mercenary his whole life. He's going to know how a crossbow works, even if Jamie didn't show it to him off-screen at some point.

in a battle with dragons, that was the most believable part. it's just a giant loving crossbow. besides, i thought scorpions were historically quite easy to use, not to mention extremely accurate with a relatively high rate of fire--4-5 bolts per minute? i mean, my knowledge of ancient roman weaponry isn't extensive, so someone correct me if i'm off. that no one was manning it was a bit odd, but i could imagine soldiers panicking and forgetting they had it when the dragon showed up and everything started melting.

the most surprising bit was that Qyburn needed to "invent" one at all. when Westeros heard that Dany had dragons, I kind of expected people to go "welp, better start building bigger crossbows". that said, the weapon could've fallen out of favour and Qyburn could've just rediscovered it going through old records.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Since Jaime said "Qyburn's scorpion", scorpions were obviously an existing weapon, Qyburn just designed an overly large one with lots of penetrative power.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Was half expecting the bolts to have poison tips, but they had Drogon take a hit and I will bet he's not dying any time soon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I can see him dying like Drogo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah the wording was weird af when Qyburn showed Cersei the scorpion, but I'm pretty sure he didn't invent it-- just got the best engineers to make a bigger, more powerful one.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

I can see him dying like Drogo.

I could see that, too. A small wound taking him down and then Dany has to ride Rhaegal instead.

I always figured Drogo would be the only dragon to survive to the end, though, with Viserion and Rhaegal will going down for sure, imo, one by the Others and one by men.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Jon will ride Rhaegal in season 8.

I don't know if that's what's going to happen, but come on.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The only confirmed thing is that Dany will ride Jon at the end of this season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Klungar posted:

The wall falls at the end of the season, can't imagine that leaves much time between that and white walker carnage.

Wall falls. Season 8 episode 1: we see the zombies walking towards winterfell in the opening scene.

Cut to six episodes of people arguing about how to beat them before the whole thing is wrapped up in one hour and a half episode.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Twintee Goodman will ride Rhaegal to the wall and singlehandedly defeat the white walkers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lycus posted:

Though that was a normal scorpion that was designed to be used against dudes.

They somehow had ginormous castles built into the sides of mountains but hadn't come up with even basic siege engines, that was literally the only ballista.

I suppose you could accurately say that they're in a Dark Age and lost a lot of knowledge but still lol.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The near-total lack of siege engines and artillery keeps surprising me. I mean poo poo, did Olenna Tyrell just forget to lock Highgarden's front door or something?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Didn't they threaten to launch Edmure's baby or w/e at riverrun with a trebuchet

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

The near-total lack of siege engines and artillery keeps surprising me. I mean poo poo, did Olenna Tyrell just forget to lock Highgarden's front door or something?

Yeah taking highgarden should really have taken a siege. I'm sure it's no storm's end which survived for months and months under siege but come on.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I choose to believe we're living in a neverending story meta universe where the reason the others haven't crossed the wall in the show is because they have to wait for it to fall in the book :colbert:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mad Hamish posted:

we have seen catapults used in both naval battles so far (euron's ambush of yara and the slaver coalition fleet's attack on meereen)

maybe they just haven't figured out you're allowed to put wheels on 'em and roll them around on land

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 10, 2017

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I think the thing Qyburn made was the heavy full iron bolt for the scorpion. I could see a scorpions using a wood shaft and iron tip as that would be good for most things normally seen in the fighting so far.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Mad Hamish posted:

You don't really need siege engines in a world where people haven't figured out you can push ladders off your walls when you're standing in the battlements.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mad Hamish posted:

Casterly Rock is a nigh-impenetrable fortress, the Aery is basically impossible to invade without airpower due to being carved in to mountains with narrow paths and sheer drops, Winterfell has large magic-imbued walls, and Storm's End is a giant doomsday bunker.

Then you have Highgarden, which has little to no physical defenses and apparently relied on having a huge-as-gently caress standing army as its main defense. And that doesn't help when your most effective commander (Tarly) and a bunch of other bannermen turn against you. Even Dorne apparently has some half-decent physical defenses in place in addition to being an arid/desert region whose very climate makes foreign invasion really hard.

Dangerllama posted:

I choose to believe we're living in a neverending story meta universe where the reason the others haven't crossed the wall in the show is because they have to wait for it to fall in the book :colbert:

In the book isn't on of Patchface's rhymes basically "the dead are marching across the seafllor and going around the wall :lol:" or something to that effect?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah taking highgarden should really have taken a siege. I'm sure it's no storm's end which survived for months and months under siege but come on.

Or they could've just said that Olenna has a grandnephew that hates her and likes Randyll and opened the gates.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Or where the highly trained and disciplined army of eunuchs and one of Westeros' best swordsmen go down to a bunch of pissed off noble kids charging them with daggers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I still don't know why people think they were nobles, since that contradicts the dialogue that I know everyone listens to instead of loving with their smartphones.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't care about barristan though, he was a fool. "Oh wait sometimes the people giving orders might be wrong in which case I shouldn't follow them???" is something you should learn well before you turn 70.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lycus posted:

I still don't know why people think they were nobles, since that contradicts the dialogue that I know everyone listens to instead of loving with their smartphones.

I didn't actually watch it so who knows.

Two-Zero Tier 1 Operators.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Casterly Rock is a nigh-impenetrable fortress, the Aery is basically impossible to invade without airpower due to being carved in to mountains with narrow paths and sheer drops, Winterfell has large magic-imbued walls, and Storm's End is a giant doomsday bunker.

Then you have Highgarden, which has little to no physical defenses and apparently relied on having a huge-as-gently caress standing army as its main defense. And that doesn't help when your most effective commander (Tarly) and a bunch of other bannermen turn against you. Even Dorne apparently has some half-decent physical defenses in place in addition to being an arid/desert region whose very climate makes foreign invasion really hard.

Highgarden doesn't have a record of complete impenetrability like Storm's End or the Eyrie, sure, but I doubt that House Gardener, Reach Kings for eight thousand years and survivors of hundreds of wars against the Rock, the Storm Kings, the Dornish and the Ironborn (sometimes all at once) would have built a weak castle.

If they needed HIghgarden to fall without a siege, they could have had some brief exposition about how the Tyrells had recently been slacking on fortifications in favor of luxury and opulence.

Like maybe Luthor had expanded the feasting halls and grounds, requiring a stretch of wall to be knocked down, and Mace never got around to rebuilding the walls because he grew up in a time of peace and plenty and couldn't imagine any circumstances where he'd need to repel a siege.

or something.
Would've been silly, but consistent with the cartoonish characterization of both Luthor and Mace.

Better than bizarrely implying that the Tyrell knights and foot-soldiers are all preternaturally inept fighters.

Kavak posted:

Or where the highly trained and disciplined army of eunuchs and one of Westeros' best swordsmen go down to a bunch of pissed off noble kids charging them with daggers.

Barristan did kill at least ten of those guys. I think maybe a dozen or more.

imho the real goofery of that scene isn't that Barristan went down (unarmored, trapped by a huge mob of people in an unknown alleyway, could happen to anybody) but that the Unsullied still haven't figured out that you don't carry eight-foot spears into an alley fight.

book Unsullied have a loadout that includes javelins and short swords, but TV Unsullied for some reason are not allowed to use anything other than their big ol' hoplite spears.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 10, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought the idea was that entire Tyrell army defected so there were almost no defenders.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The unsullied tried to assault the walls of casterly rock with spears while on ladders. Methinks their boss was overselling their effectiveness.
Dany would have been better off hiring uruk-hai. At least they have technology like pulley system ladders, dynamite and ballistas

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It would be a fun twist to find out that the unsullied really are kinda crap and their fearsome reputation is the result of a really good ad campaign by the slave masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

bloom posted:

It would be a fun twist to find out that the unsullied really are kinda crap and their fearsome reputation is the result of a really good ad campaign by the slave masters.

They're disciplined foot soldiers raised to be trained to fight, and whose whose main weapon are long spears in a region where the Mongols Dothraki are the biggest threat to cities at any given time. I don't doubt they're extremely good soldiers and far better than the average Westerosi foot solder, and maybe some (lazy) knights. They just aren't on the level of Spartans or Myrmidons. :shrug: