Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
According to my friend who loves Persona, in the third game there’s an item called Cylon Tea with the description that it comes in 12 different flavors.

I was really not expecting a Battlestar Galatica reference in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

I think Okami is now property of platinum studios so tango can’t reference it

lots of callbacks to Evil Within though

Oh YEAH you've just sealed the deal on it for me. Gimme Joseph's Glasses and other weird obscure poo poo from Shinji Mikami and Ikumi Nakamura's meeting of the minds!

edit: I'm the dude whose scales were tipped by the interesting factoids this time. it's me

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Feb 9, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There's a massive reference to goddamn Xenogears of all games that's impossible to miss, so it's not like they're afraid to reference games they don't own the rights to.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The best reference in Hi-fi Rush is the Xenogears one.

Edit: beaten

I think my favourite moment in that game, however, is near the end when you make your way to the big bad and Invaders Must Die by the Prodigy starts playing quietly and building up as a fight begins to brew. As soon as I heard that song I was fuckin' ready to throw down. And when it explodes later as a timed platforming segment begins, oooh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's been said earlier, but the only real shame with the soundtrack is they stuck to western music

if they'd pulled out a Pillows track at any point i would have left this mortal plane

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I have to assume they approached the Pillows at some point and it just didn't work out for whatever reason. There's no way a Japanese studio making a game with a punk rock aesthetic where the hero uses a guitar as a weapon didn't think of trying to get a Pillows song on the track.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how little of a thing this is but Chained Echoes is a 90s style turned based RPG for any system you’d wanna play it on.

One of my biggest gripes with those type games is that there’s just so. many. battles. that they become a slog. What Chained Echoes does is just not have nearly as many battles but those that you do have are actually tough battles that you have to use strategy to beat or you’ll get wiped out. But you’re also not getting them every 3 steps. The maps for regions are built out in grids and each bit of the grid maybe has 4-5 battles tops. You can also see where they are and most you can avoid. As long as you stay in the area they stay dead too, so if you’re running around looking for a chest or whatever you don’t have to keep doing an assload of battles or running from things to do it.

All the characters are good, the art is fun and I really am enjoying the storyline.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Midnight Suns. Just the general interactions and characterizations of the Midnight Suns and the Avengers, one is a stable, well adjusted team with team members who regularly participate in group activities and have a good sense of people who trust each others, and the other is Stark, Strange and Banner all taking petty snipes at each other while you get the feeling the two Captains (Marvel and America) are REALLY hoping there's some openings in the Midnight Suns.

Also that Deadpool isn't quite as random-monkey-cheese humor, and when called out on making jokes at one point, explains that he does it to help break the tension. He's still a joke of a character and bends the fourth wall so much he uses it as a bed, but it's not all just lol-random-wackyness,

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This isn't so much a 'little thing' as it's pretty big, but Nintendo just put out a remaster of Metroid Prime 1 and it might be one of the best remasters I've ever seen?

I'm too used to seeing a 'remaster' come out and it's just "here's the game running in a higher resolution, also maybe we made the lighting worse and run the textures through an AI upscaler of questionable quality". Nintendo's Zelda remasters are pretty much the games now running in HD and with upscaled textures (though they're pretty good for what they are).
They put out a trailer for the Prime remaster and them immediately released the actual game, and I could tell that the character models and textures had been redone, and I had a suspicion that they re-touched the lighting. I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaypbay8rt4

They look to have redone loving everything. It's so pretty now. Maybe one of the best looking games on the Switch (though I don't play many Switch games).
I'm just amazed that they suddenly announced, and then released, a really loving good looking remaster, and it only costs £35, instead of like £60

There's also some nice touches for options too. Prime 1 had some weird changes for Europe (game came out 6 months later over here), like random generic narration in the opening and ending cutscenes. You can turn that on if you want! Defaults to off, thankfully.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What was the game that revealed Samus to be a Barbie doll in super skin-tight clothes?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

What was the game that revealed Samus to be a Barbie doll in super skin-tight clothes?

Metroid (1986)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

credburn posted:

First, Super Metroid, beating the game quickly revealed Samus was a woman with green hair wearing a pink swimsuit/aerobics outfit under all that armor.

If you mean the blonde haired, blue body suit version, that was Zero Mission.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No, that was Metroid: Zero Mission, the remake of Metroid 1 on the GBA. Though Metroid Prime 2 did have a really bad model of her in that suit for the ending!

She looks like this in Metorid Prime 1, if you get 100%, she just takes off her helmet. Don't know how much they've re-done this model yet though!

Though yeah, every Metroid before Prime depicted Samus in a bikini or something similar if you got 100%. Prime was surprisingly restrained!
Don't think Dread depicts her out of the suit at all, other than the death animation!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fire Emblem: Engage rolled out a new series of DLC Emblems - echoes of heroes from other worlds (i.e. other Fire Emblem games) come to help this world in its hour of need. One of those already present in the base game is Ike. Who else would join Ike from his games but Soren, in top form.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A cool little touch in the Metroid Prime remake is that when you're outside in the rain, water will change the direction it runs down your blaster arm depend on whether you're pointing it up or down. I don't remember whether that was in the original, the most I remember from that was the raindrops hitting your visor, which I always thought was neat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the metroid prime remake is incredible and I recommend looking up comparison videos because they really nailed the feel of it being the game you remember playing despite the MASSIVE visual upgrade

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Metroid Prime being back in the conversation again led to me thinking about why exactly it's just really loving good at lore and worldbuilding, in a way that even a lot of RPGs that pride themselves on it completely miss. (Looking at you, Bioware.) It's actually a fairly big part of the game, but the reasons it works amount to just a pile of tiny little things.

-It's all directly relevant to things that are going on around you, either in terms of the actual world or the events in it. There's no point where you're reading something and going 'why does this matter'.
-Because it's an active part of the gameplay loop, there's a clear context in which they expect you to read these things, in what order, and what they relate to. Whereas in a lot of games with the 'codex/datalog' approach, I don't even know how they expect me to approach this thing, if they want me to read bits when relevant or just sit down and set aside a whole day for it. They're badly-designed for both of those approaches.
-While the game would like for you to read it (and does reward you for doing so, there is scan completion percentage), it doesn't need you to read it; the Metroid games have long gotten by on basically wordless storytelling, and the Primes hold to that, Prime 1 most of all.
-The variation of voices keeps things fresh and gives actual character to things; you've got the relatively clinical and scientific environmental and creature logs, the more poetic and spiritual Chozo, and of course, the weird militaristic almost-comedy of the Space Pirates. It's a lot more fun to read than when a game just tries to do a dispassionate impartial 'in-universe encyclopedia'.
-All the entries are loving short. They seem longer than they are because of deliberately tight text boxes, but they're all like, two minute reads and amount to a couple paragraphs. Never once hits a 'tl;dr' point.

It's the sort of thing where I never realized how good they were at it until I saw everyone else loving it up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Metroid Prime being back in the conversation again led to me thinking about why exactly it's just really loving good at lore and worldbuilding, in a way that even a lot of RPGs that pride themselves on it completely miss. (Looking at you, Bioware.) It's actually a fairly big part of the game, but the reasons it works amount to just a pile of tiny little things.

-It's all directly relevant to things that are going on around you, either in terms of the actual world or the events in it. There's no point where you're reading something and going 'why does this matter'.
-Because it's an active part of the gameplay loop, there's a clear context in which they expect you to read these things, in what order, and what they relate to. Whereas in a lot of games with the 'codex/datalog' approach, I don't even know how they expect me to approach this thing, if they want me to read bits when relevant or just sit down and set aside a whole day for it. They're badly-designed for both of those approaches.
-While the game would like for you to read it (and does reward you for doing so, there is scan completion percentage), it doesn't need you to read it; the Metroid games have long gotten by on basically wordless storytelling, and the Primes hold to that, Prime 1 most of all.
-The variation of voices keeps things fresh and gives actual character to things; you've got the relatively clinical and scientific environmental and creature logs, the more poetic and spiritual Chozo, and of course, the weird militaristic almost-comedy of the Space Pirates. It's a lot more fun to read than when a game just tries to do a dispassionate impartial 'in-universe encyclopedia'.
-All the entries are loving short. They seem longer than they are because of deliberately tight text boxes, but they're all like, two minute reads and amount to a couple paragraphs. Never once hits a 'tl;dr' point.

It's the sort of thing where I never realized how good they were at it until I saw everyone else loving it up.

There's a lot of dark comedy to be had in the Space Pirate logs. The Morph Ball prototypes were not a success.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a lot of dark comedy to be had in the Space Pirate logs. The Morph Ball prototypes were not a success.

They're also just big phazon enthusiasts, gotta try it with everything

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yeah, to clarify, the Space Pirates have some great comedic beats in them (my personal favorite is the moment in Prime 2 when they realize there's now two Samuses, and they're BOTH trying to kill them). But even when they aren't doing that they have an entertainingly tongue-in-cheek writing style and a tendency to underline that they really aren't as competent or intelligent as you might be expecting, they're a lot of fun to read.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Science Team has vapor for brains.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Oh yeah, to clarify, the Space Pirates have some great comedic beats in them (my personal favorite is the moment in Prime 2 when they realize there's now two Samuses, and they're BOTH trying to kill them). But even when they aren't doing that they have an entertainingly tongue-in-cheek writing style and a tendency to underline that they really aren't as competent or intelligent as you might be expecting, they're a lot of fun to read.

The Marine's logs are great too, and give a lot of character to a group you never actually meet. I do legit wish there'd been at least one to find alive and well at some point.

Especially the one that thinks Samus Aran is as real as Santa Claus. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Marine's logs are great too, and give a lot of character to a group you never actually meet. I do legit wish there'd been at least one to find alive and well at some point.

Especially the one that thinks Samus Aran is as real as Santa Claus. :allears:

I can rant about this for days, but the tl;dr is that I feel that Metroid games have a very low upper limit on how many characters you can actually have present, with the ideal number being "1 and some journal entries". The games are about exploring hostile alien worlds, and a big part of selling "hostile" is that you're alone and the closest safe place is a long way away. Prime 3 and Other M both introduce a bunch of extra characters, and they both also frequently made me think "why am I here listening to you / going where you tell me to, when I could be out exploring?"

All of the GalFed troopers getting redshirted before you arrive was, sadly, for the best.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can rant about this for days, but the tl;dr is that I feel that Metroid games have a very low upper limit on how many characters you can actually have present, with the ideal number being "1 and some journal entries". The games are about exploring hostile alien worlds, and a big part of selling "hostile" is that you're alone and the closest safe place is a long way away. Prime 3 and Other M both introduce a bunch of extra characters, and they both also frequently made me think "why am I here listening to you / going where you tell me to, when I could be out exploring?"

All of the GalFed troopers getting redshirted before you arrive was, sadly, for the best.

But how else would you know the critically important detail that Samus would always give a thumbs down during the mission briefings while everyone else gave a thumbs up as a sign of her disapproval, and

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I mean, to be clear, Other M was not well written, in addition to having a bunch of extra characters. But even if you took the basic premise and wrote it superbly, it wouldn't feel like a Metroid game will all these extra characters running around.

I don't remember much about the writing in Prime 3, which to me suggests that it was functional but unimpressive. It still chafed.

Anyway, since this is The Good Thread, something I appreciate about Peglin (which is a Peggle roguelike, basically) is that every single one of the balls you can find has a punny name. Also they made the wise choice to call them "orbs" instead of "balls". So you've got the Sphear, which is a spear orb that can overpenetrate enemies. There's the Icircle, a frosty orb. You've got the Jack-Orb-Lantern and Poltorbgeist. The Swoltorb makes future throws more powerful. The Shock Orbsorber grows stronger the more bombs you've set off. And so on. It's impressive how hard they commit to the bit, frankly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

a Peggle roguelike

Things I never knew existed but now want

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I mean, to be clear, Other M was not well written, in addition to having a bunch of extra characters. But even if you took the basic premise and wrote it superbly, it wouldn't feel like a Metroid game will all these extra characters running around.

I don't remember much about the writing in Prime 3, which to me suggests that it was functional but unimpressive. It still chafed.

Anyway, since this is The Good Thread, something I appreciate about Peglin (which is a Peggle roguelike, basically) is that every single one of the balls you can find has a punny name. Also they made the wise choice to call them "orbs" instead of "balls". So you've got the Sphear, which is a spear orb that can overpenetrate enemies. There's the Icircle, a frosty orb. You've got the Jack-Orb-Lantern and Poltorbgeist. The Swoltorb makes future throws more powerful. The Shock Orbsorber grows stronger the more bombs you've set off. And so on. It's impressive how hard they commit to the bit, frankly.

I just can't resist an opportunity to dunk on Other M a little bit :shobon:

Also oh man, I had no idea of a peggle roguelike and now I must play it!

We've been playing psychonauts 2 lately and man, I can't believe they actually pulled off a good sequel to that game like a decade later. One of the little things I really like about it is how they integrate what happened in the previous game into the plot. It's not full of a ton of references like some games would be with a bunch of in-jokes or something, it references events of the previous games but never dwells overly on them rather than trying to coast on its coattails.

Also I had no idea the VR game is canon apparently, so now I feel like I need to play that at some point?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
From what I remember about Prime 3, you meet all the characters once in an early team briefing cutscene, and then the next time you see each of them they’ve become evil and you have to kill them without much talking

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Things I never knew existed but now want

It is extremely good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wishlisted to remind myself to check it out, I can say my favorite little thing ahead of time is that it has a free demo, as all games should.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Weird Pumpkin posted:

We've been playing psychonauts 2 lately and man, I can't believe they actually pulled off a good sequel to that game like a decade later. One of the little things I really like about it is how they integrate what happened in the previous game into the plot. It's not full of a ton of references like some games would be with a bunch of in-jokes or something, it references events of the previous games but never dwells overly on them rather than trying to coast on its coattails.

Psychonauts 2 was SO drat good. Although I do miss the Russian kid from the first game...

To contribute, my little thing for Psychonauts 2 was that I loved how customizable the difficulty settings were. For example, you could have Raz be immune to fall damage, immune to everything, do more damage to enemies (so battles end faster), etc. Kinda reminded me of the survival horror game (Silent Hill?) that had different difficulty levels for combat and for puzzles, but for combat vs platforming.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Read After Burning posted:

Psychonauts 2 was SO drat good. Although I do miss the Russian kid from the first game...

To contribute, my little thing for Psychonauts 2 was that I loved how customizable the difficulty settings were. For example, you could have Raz be immune to fall damage, immune to everything, do more damage to enemies (so battles end faster), etc. Kinda reminded me of the survival horror game (Silent Hill?) that had different difficulty levels for combat and for puzzles, but for combat vs platforming.

Silent Hill 3. The game where 'normal' puzzles were your general survival horror puzzles (put these books in the right order based on their numbers!) to 'hard' puzzles that were absolutely absurd (use your knowledge of Shakespearean literature to correctly order the books based on a multi-stanza poem that describes the writings and also one of the stanzas is to be ignored). It was pretty great and I wish more games did that.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I've always wanted a Metroid game where you play as the leader of a small Federation squad, just like Republic Commando.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I've always wanted a Metroid game where you play as the leader of a small Federation squad, just like Republic Commando.

Good for you, it exists! Look up Metroid Federation Force

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I just want another Republic Commando game

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

jokes posted:

I just want another Republic Commando game

Hell, I would take a remaster that doesn’t end on a cliffhanger.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They should make a Lego Metroid game so we can pretend that anyone but Samus does anything useful in the setting for 6 hours.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Good for you, it exists! Look up Metroid Federation Force

I forgot that existed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

They should make a Lego Metroid game so we can pretend that anyone but Samus does anything useful in the setting for 6 hours.

Hey now, there was... uh... that one dead guy who almost made it to Kraid in Super Metroid. And all the dead scientists' research helped after the intro of Metroid Fusion.

Samus Prime killed a bunch of Space Pirates too, does that count?

That one Chzo in Dread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The moth guy in Prime 2