Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Yeah, that was the imperial wizard. Now reduced to keeping a monster in a barn, apparently. Perhaps it'll be one of those Ganishka monsters from a few chapters back.

I thought it was his giant bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the thing I'm curious about more than anything else, in any fiction I'm currently into that's ongoing, is that the other shoe is going to be with Falconia. It's been shown time in time again in Berserk; nothing is gained without sacrifice, and right now Griffith is the literal salvation to every person in Midland. There is going to be a downside to all of this, it's going to be a doozy.

We've already heard the prophecy. Griffith is going to sacrifice every person in falconia, become a god and usher in a new age of darkness

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

House Louse posted:

I don't think Locus is focusing on the what Griffith did for the humans there, but for the Apostles.

It also implies that humans are a sideline for Griffith. It's the Apostles versus monsters. Notice that we see a monster and an Apostle fighting, but don't know which is which.

The monster was the ogre. Guts fought one before, way back in the arc where they were protecting that village, right after they met Schierke. It has a pretty... memorable design.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

We've already heard the prophecy. Griffith is going to sacrifice every person in falconia, become a god and usher in a new age of darkness

I remember the age of darkness part, but where are you getting that he specifically is going to sacrifice the people in Falconia?

It seems like the age of darkness was kicked off with the human world and the spirit world merging into one and the God Hand becoming corporeal.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

House Louse posted:

I don't think Locus is focusing on the what Griffith did for the humans there, but for the Apostles.

It also implies that humans are a sideline for Griffith. It's the Apostles versus monsters. Notice that we see a monster and an Apostle fighting, but don't know which is which.

One of them is actually Borkoff, an apostle who chewed Guts' arm off during Eclipse.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

PiedPiper posted:

One of them is actually Borkoff, an apostle who chewed Guts' arm off during Eclipse.

I forget this all the time but come to think of it, nobody in the party except maybe Puck and Schierke(and they'd only know through magic vision poo poo) actually knows a drat thing about Guts do they?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

PiedPiper posted:

And the other is an Ogre, the same kind that threw a huge tree at the church during the troll arc.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Shindragon posted:

Seriously Murata is doing a great job building up how Griffith is a savior.
Saitama could take out Griffith with one punch!!! :henget:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

threeagainstfour posted:

I remember the age of darkness part, but where are you getting that he specifically is going to sacrifice the people in Falconia?

It seems like the age of darkness was kicked off with the human world and the spirit world merging into one and the God Hand becoming corporeal.

I'm basing it on the fact that Falconia is built upon a dead city of sacrifices. He'll probably do it again.

See this: http://i.imgur.com/T4UXVwC.jpg

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I thought it was his giant bird.

I'd forgotten all about the bird!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was fun seeing Daiba again and the bit where three people who have all met Guts in very different situations are alluding to him, without realizing they're all thinking of the same person.
I actually like the peaceful moments in Berserk where the characters just get to chill, like in that scene or in Volume 29 when Gut's team is in the city. When you get to read it at your own pace those moments are great. But with the chapters so rare it's like "no, skip this, get to the action, reveal secrets, we need more info and plot now now now." But I know in retrospect I'll enjoy the pacing.

Really, the issue with Berserk is it's an epic fantasy series. Those are hard enough to complete with just words. And Miura also has to draw all those pictures.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Does Miura have any assistants or does he personally plot, pencil, and ink every tiny little mark on a giant canvas of Griffith's city on every page of every chapter? If it's the latter, that would explain why updates take months.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He has assistants and apparently he goes through them at quite a clip because of how much of a perfectionist he is.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Begemot posted:

The monster was the ogre. Guts fought one before, way back in the arc where they were protecting that village, right after they met Schierke. It has a pretty... memorable design.

Oops I thought the ogres were Apostle-ish too, but they're not, my mistake. Still very much monsters fighting monsters, though.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

I'm basing it on the fact that Falconia is built upon a dead city of sacrifices. He'll probably do it again.

That's the city where Ubik(?) and the Skull Knight "began" correct?

Also, it's been so long since I've read that part that I really can't wait to see(any) development. That chapter was pretty shocking the first time I read it and I can't wait to see it referenced later.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Postal Parcel posted:

That's the city where Ubik(?) and the Skull Knight "began" correct?

Also, it's been so long since I've read that part that I really can't wait to see(any) development. That chapter was pretty shocking the first time I read it and I can't wait to see it referenced later.

Void and the Skull Night. Ubik is the little dude who's always hovering around.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Do we even know anything about Void other than his fatalism and how he looks?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Davinci posted:

Do we even know anything about Void other than his fatalism and how he looks?

He's the first Apostle/Godhand, and he was a wise man in service to the Emperor and sacrificed the city of Wyndham to become a Godhand. Connecting the dots it's believed that he also sacrificed the Skull Knight who was the Emperor who threw him in jail for some reason. Somehow, presumably through aide of Flora and the Berserker Armor he escaped the Eclipse and has been rampaging on an ever increasing number of Apostles since.

Flora was not branded so it's not likely she was there for the actual eclipse but probably used some magical means to help.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 15, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Terror Sweat posted:

Looking at that image of Falconia, it strikes me that the huge dome thing/demon arena has always been looming in the background but this is the first time it's ever acknowledged, let alone explained.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rodyle posted:

I forget this all the time but come to think of it, nobody in the party except maybe Puck and Schierke(and they'd only know through magic vision poo poo) actually knows a drat thing about Guts do they?

They've heard of his legend, but he brushed the story off as made up when Isidoro brings it up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, the old kushan magician used to ride around on a giant bird and he now secretly keeps 'a monster' in the barn. Griffith gathers every monster he can find to sate his apostles. The magician and his pet might not have warranted attention before, but it isn't like there are an infinite number of monsters out there. If events work out like I think, this might be the first crack we see in falconia.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, the old kushan magician used to ride around on a giant bird and he now secretly keeps 'a monster' in the barn. Griffith gathers every monster he can find to sate his apostles. The magician and his pet might not have warranted attention before, but it isn't like there are an infinite number of monsters out there. If events work out like I think, this might be the first crack we see in falconia.

http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Rakshas

The first crack is this dude, look how goddamn sneaky he looks

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Terror Sweat posted:

I totally forgot about this dude. This comic is taking too drat long.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Terror Sweat posted:

He straight up told Griffith he would serve until he had the chance to chop the Hawk's head off. Not that Miura will ever show anyone but Guts or Caska or one of the other God Hand doing that, but I do look forward to Rakshas' eventual pathetic coup when Griffith vaporizes him.

notZaar posted:

I totally forgot about this dude. This comic is taking too drat long.
Lol if you don't re-read Berserk at least once a year.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

You can't sacrifice something you don't hold dear.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Petiso posted:

You can't sacrifice something you don't hold dear.

It's his precious kingdom that he's wanted since forever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Soulcleaver posted:

Lol if you don't re-read Berserk at least once a year.

poo poo, I've been taking my time with the first read, and by that I mean I started this book 4 years ago and I'm at like...29? He's had his armor for a couple volumes already.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

dis astranagant posted:

Maybe Griffith gave a percentage of a poo poo about the Hawks back when he was mortal, but probably not anymore. I doubt he has any humanity in him left to sacrifice.

Literally The Worst posted:

poo poo, I've been taking my time with the first read, and by that I mean I started this book 4 years ago and I'm at like...29? He's had his armor for a couple volumes already.
You're smarter than the rest of us, then. I burned through the whole series in 2006 and have had blue balls ever since.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but he doesn't have the same emotional connection with anyone in it. He had developed an emotional bond with the Hawks, so their sacrifice had a bigger impact.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

If the story is indeed made up of tons of loops and call backs, would it not follow that someone else will sacrifice Griffith and Falconia?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

threeagainstfour posted:

If the story is indeed made up of tons of loops and call backs, would it not follow that someone else will sacrifice Griffith and Falconia?

Why would that follow? Void wasn't sacrificed.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Isn't it all but stated that Void sacrificed the Skull Knight and his newly created capital city in Midland?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

threeagainstfour posted:

Isn't it all but stated that Void sacrificed the Skull Knight and his newly created capital city in Midland?

The Skull Knight isn't a Godhand, or even an Apostle. He was probably sacrificed, and he was probably King Gaiseric, but he wasn't the one doing the sacrificing. He's more like Guts than Griffith.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 18, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Skull Knight isn't a Godhand, or even an Apostle. He was probably sacrificed, and he was probably King Gaiseric, but he wasn't the one doing the sacrificing. He's more like Guts than Griffith.

Then we're agreed. Void did the bad deed.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

threeagainstfour posted:

It's probably up to Griffith and if he is truly satisfied with the way things are now. The story of Griffith is like a classical hero myth, at least from the point of view of the regular person living in Midland. Griffith goes up against all sorts of challenges put before him (orchestrated by divine beings) and eventually becomes the fated saviour of all humans. This is the grand narrative humans wished for to give meaning to their suffering, rather than poo poo happening just because it does. Humanity created their own terrors. And now that the astral world has merged with the physical world there is no end to the monsters people can imagine and be saved from by Griffith playing the role of hero.

That's also why Griffith had to pay a price to become the white falcon, it's human to expect to pay a price in order to receive a reward. But even though Griffith wanted to be the hero and was willing to pay that price, in the past he has also shown specific interest in Guts who represents the opposite of all that: Guts is completely self-empowered, he doesn't care about fate, his legacy, being the hero or any of that. If Griffith just wants to live as a Godking for eternity he will try to crush Guts again, but he might also consider his dream to have been fulfilled and think his life is boring at this point. He might even welcome Guts and the chaos he will bring.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It's been awhile since I've done a reread but have we got an actual look at what Griffith is like since he became a godhand? All I remember is him bullshitting all the humans around him and lording over all the apostles. I guess that could just be how he is now but it seems like there is something deeper.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You're never sure when he's being sincere or not. The only time I can think he might have been was when he transformed back into his Femto form to talk with Ganishka's giant form. But even then he only said a few words about "the people who carry the light being inside the greatest darkness". Which shows Griffith might think of himself as a martyr, accepting the mantle of hero in order to give humans a sense of empowerment and meaning (light). But to do so he had to give up his humanity and embrace the darkness.

The witches seem to have an alternate view of the world. The whole series has a monotheism vs. nature worship thing going on. Most of the people seem to believe in one god and feel they need a savior to deliver the world. Whereas the witches seem to believe that by appropriately communing with the elemental spirits they can achieve a balance.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 19, 2014

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Forgive me thread, for I have sinned.

I was chatting with an acquaintance on ye olde social book who was trying to pitch me to read One-Punch Man because of how gorgeous the art was. Yanking his chain a bit I told him I did read it and asked if he liked the art compared to Berserk. "What's Berserk?"

I sent him two art examples and a link to one of the manga reader sites with a warning that the translations are pretty rear end dragged on paper early on.

Within 48 hours he was on volume 16. I have cursed another brother to a purgatory of waiting.

Also caught up to the last few chapter since I like saving them up in blocks of 2-4. Things are inching... but they're moving again.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

I don't think Griffith can be sacrificed, but Falconia? Who'd do it though? It'd have to be someone who cares deeply for Falconia for the sacrifice to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This assumes that Void is in fact the guy that was locked up at the bottom of the Tower of Conviction during that time. Though, Skull Knight's interactions with him seem to suggest this is the case.

Also, the whole Griffith sacrificing Falconia to go beyond godlike requires an Apostle Behelit or greater and I doubt Miura would recycle that idea. Then there's the Red Behelit but we won't be seeing that for another 200+ years.