Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Here is another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgR3KkeCfuQ

I'll try the tape thing, it did stop completely for awhile right after I took that video. So whatever it is it doesnt happen all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I had similar problems with trim rubber that would peel off into little tabs that would flutter and buzz at above 40mph.

Removed the remaining rubber with an exacto knife, then repainted the trim with plasti-dip. Not exactly the same shade, but my 850's full of dings and dents anyhow :shrug:

EDIT: not sure if it's just the camera, but I don't recall mine being that loud. Might be a different problem.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
I took apart the center console and found a melted relay socket. I also found that the 90 and 92 240 use slightly different headlight relays, the 90 relay will give you lights 100% of the time in a 92, regardless of the switch's input.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

They're great, just avoid the T6 and the early V8. The T6 has a disposable tranny that they never fixed. And the early V8 has a drainage problem that destroys some bearing in the engine valley and nearly junks the motor. The 5 cylinder turbo is the same great reliable engine and tranny in the V70 and S60 which share the same platform.

What year and engine specifically are you looking at?

Ended up buying this obnoxious monster. I've got 2 kids, and plan on having more - so that makes this ok...right?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
R-Design diesel? :swoon:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

zundfolge posted:

R-Design diesel? :swoon:

With a polestar remap. That's the teeny tiny blue badge on the back. Also, the breaks seem tiny behind the 19" wheels. Might put bigger disks on it.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

LloydDobler posted:

They're great, just avoid the T6 and the early V8. The T6 has a disposable tranny that they never fixed. And the early V8 has a drainage problem that destroys some bearing in the engine valley and nearly junks the motor. The 5 cylinder turbo is the same great reliable engine and tranny in the V70 and S60 which share the same platform.

What year and engine specifically are you looking at?

Sorry, but I've been lurking & reading this thread as I'm debating a 2012 C70 as a fun car for the wife. (And I haven't bought a car since 2002 , so be gentle.)

I assume that the C70 T5 is the same engine of which you speak, but is the tranny "disposable"?

I buy and keep cars for 10-15 years, so longevity is important to me.

Thanks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've heard nothing but good things about the reliability of the C70, that generation platform (called P1) shares with the Ford Focus and Mazda 3 of the 2005-2007 era, as well as the Volvo C30, S40, and V50. In fact I hear the first thing you should do is get a Mazdaspeed3 rear sway bar for that car, it supposedly transforms the handling. It's a slightly different version of the T5 motor as in the P2 cars I was talking about in that other post but the internals are all based on the same design.

It appears that the car comes with the AW55 5 speed auto, which does have the bugs worked out (it was a time bomb in 2000-2002) so all it needs is fluid changes if you plan to drive the car more than 100k miles. You can also get it with the bulletproof 6 speed manual.

Don't let it scare you but read a lot of this subforum before you buy: http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?97-C70-(2006-2013)

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 16, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm parting out an '88 244, let me know if you need anything. Headlights, chin spoiler, drivers window, and right hood hinge spoken for, everything else is up for grabs.

Engine is gone, transmission (M47) is here but needs a new shift-lever. It shifted decently when the car was running.

Located in central Virginia.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

LloydDobler posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the reliability of the C70, that generation platform (called P1) shares with the Ford Focus and Mazda 3 of the 2005-2007 era, as well as the Volvo C30, S40, and V50. In fact I hear the first thing you should do is get a Mazdaspeed3 rear sway bar for that car, it supposedly transforms the handling. It's a slightly different version of the T5 motor as in the P2 cars I was talking about in that other post but the internals are all based on the same design.

It appears that the car comes with the AW55 5 speed auto, which does have the bugs worked out (it was a time bomb in 2000-2002) so all it needs is fluid changes if you plan to drive the car more than 100k miles. You can also get it with the bulletproof 6 speed manual.

Don't let it scare you but read a lot of this subforum before you buy: http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?97-C70-(2006-2013)

Thanks! If I pull the trigger, maybe i'll post my first SA pics.

:tinfoil:

(Probably not.)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
this is not my picture but it is my dream

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Car: 1986 Volvo 240 DL (with just 60k miles.. Could probably drive this for the first 30 years of my driving life..)

Issue 1: Driver side front headlight does not work. What is the cheapest way to diagnose the problem and get it fixed? Is there somewhere I can go for instructions on figuring out if it is just the bulb that's out?
If it is a bulb, do I order it online and put it in?
Should I just go to Auto Zone or somewhere similar and have them take a look, or will the try to rip me off?
I live in Dallas so there are plenty of auto repair shops and whatever else.

Issue 2: one of the little flimsy panels that covers a light on the back broke off. Can I pass inspection with this broken off? The bulb still functions perfectly.

(and yes I am indeed ashamed for loving cars but knowing nothing about the easily-fixable much-loved one I drive)

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

You can just go buy a bulb from Autozone or Walmart or any car parts store. It uses 9004 bulbs. No need to buy online. They should be available anywhere and cost all of $9.

If you want to be sure, you could check the headlights with a multimeter. Be sure not to touch the bulb - particularly the new ones- oil from your hands can cause them to fail prematurely.

e: they often come in 2 packs like this: http://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/headlight/sylvania-headlight/723053_0_0/

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I don't know if I'm looking for advice here or just want to share a funny thing...

See the reverse light and turn signal housings at the bottom there?

I've got a dead bee trapped in the right hand (turn signal) one.

I guess I could take the bulb out and try to grab it with tweezers?

I have no idea how it got in there.

No, that's not my car, just the first picture that popped up for S60R brake lights.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Shop vac with a "micro cleaning kit" would do it no problem.

Is that the side with the fuel filler? Can't really tell from the angle. Spiders love the smell of gas so I wouldn't be surprised if bees also did and somehow went up a tail light drain.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It is indeed the side with the fuel filler. I was not aware spiders liked gasoline, you learn something new every day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Spiders are actually attracted to all hydrocarbons because the exoskeletons of other spiders contain them. For whatever reason the spiders interpret the gasoline as sexy lady spiders or whatever.

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/eek-squad/why-do-spiders-apparently-cars-so-much

I can confirm that if I leave my Miata parked for more than a week it will be covered in spider webs when I come back.

e: After googling, honey bees also have cuticular hydrocarbons in their exoskeletons. There you go, I just wrote a biology masters' thesis on your tail light.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

yesterday I discovered that before I had the car, someone... messed with the vacuum hoses on my v70r. something happened to the layout, and that something includes an IPD TCV and several feet of blue silicone hose.

i learned this because I heard a rhythmic hissing noise at idle after driving it and discovered that what I later learned was the EVAP purge valve was just sucking in air in pulses. there's no hose attached to it on the evap canister side. :shepicide:

I unplugged it and fixed my vacuum leak in exchange for a CEL.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have a 2004 v50, and it is bleating at me to fill up the window fluid: do i need special volvo stuff or can i just put whatever in there?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I have a 2004 v50, and it is bleating at me to fill up the window fluid: do i need special volvo stuff or can i just put whatever in there?

Any old washer fluid should be fine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm thinking of heading to a junkyard that has a bunch of V70s and 850s, primarily for a replacement barometric pressure sensor. What other parts and accessories should I look for for my V70R?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

sebmojo posted:

I had a good laugh at this one...it's not a dumb question considering so many Volvo quirks, but still...

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Several other european makes had issues with european vs US washer fluid mixes, so not a terrible question.

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

sebmojo posted:

I just had to check for volvo washer fluid and I found it, it just may need the oem stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just because Volvo makes it doesn't mean you have to use it-the V50 owner's manual doesn't say anything about special washer fluid. It's probably good stuff but that bottle of concentrate might run you $10 at the dealer versus $2 for the blue stuff at Autozone.

MRC48B posted:

Several other european makes had issues with european vs US washer fluid mixes, so not a terrible question.

Wasn't that a problem with VWs where a specific washer fluid would ruin the sensor?

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008

Winszton posted:

Car: 1986 Volvo 240 DL

Issue 1: Driver side front headlight does not work. What is the cheapest way to diagnose the problem and get it fixed? Is there somewhere I can go for instructions on figuring out if it is just the bulb that's out?
If it is a bulb, do I order it online and put it in?
Should I just go to Auto Zone or somewhere similar and have them take a look, or will the try to rip me off?
I live in Dallas so there are plenty of auto repair shops and whatever else.

First off, thanks for all the replies and advice you all gave me!
Just got hired at a job so I haven't had time to come back to this.

Anyways, turns out the bulb is actually not out, but just really really dim.
Does this mean the issue is likely electrical wiring or something, and not just a bulb going out? I don't know if car bulbs are like regular ones in a lamp, where they're either working or done.

I suppose the best thing to do is just head to autozone, grab the necessary bulb, install it and see if that fixed the issue?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Winszton posted:

First off, thanks for all the replies and advice you all gave me!
Just got hired at a job so I haven't had time to come back to this.

Anyways, turns out the bulb is actually not out, but just really really dim.
Does this mean the issue is likely electrical wiring or something, and not just a bulb going out? I don't know if car bulbs are like regular ones in a lamp, where they're either working or done.

I suppose the best thing to do is just head to autozone, grab the necessary bulb, install it and see if that fixed the issue?

I have had this issue a few times and it usually ends up being the ground. There is a ground of particular note on the passenger side near the wiper fluid tank- usually I've found the dim headlights are a sign that ground is dirty or disconnected.

I could be wrong, but I think the headlight bulbs themselves tend either be fine or burnt out - if they are dim I wouldn't expect new ones to fix the issue.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Okay thanks. But uhm, noob here, what is a ground?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

In this case it's going to be a lead from the headlight which is connected to the car frame. In a broader sense read the Wikipedia article on grounds

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Winszton posted:

Okay thanks. But uhm, noob here, what is a ground?

the electrical system for cars uses a convenient shortcut - because the car's chassis and sheetmetal conduct electricity, the negative lead for the battery is attached to the metal part. that way, instead of running two cables (positive and negative) to an electrical device to power it, only one cable (positive) needs to be run, and the other half of the circuit is formed either by a wire bolted onto the car's metal bits, or the device in question being bolted directly to the car's metal bits.

in this case, you're looking for a wire.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

At least try putting some wide tape around the perimeter of the windshield to rule it out, I've had Volvos make exactly that noise from the window trim. The wind gets under and lifts it and it oscillates at its own frequency. It's tightly attached, it's just the leading edge that flutters like a sax reed.

I'm sorry I doubted you guys. It was the trim on the top of the windshield. I just have some gorilla tape across there for now, it's silent as hell now.

Believe me, the tape looks perfectly in place. :v:

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Someone come take my b230f and m47 and assorted swap goodies out of my yard before I scrap it all.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Someone come take my b230f and m47 and assorted swap goodies out of my yard before I scrap it all.

If a person was crazy they could take your pile of stuff and my pile of stuff and have a fully functional 244...

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

where is it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Drove through a partially flooded street to get home yesterday (no other option), now I have no headlights.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

(I bought new xenon bulbs already)

E: Hopefully its the bulbs and not the ballast.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 22, 2015

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

shadowzero313 posted:

where is it?

Northern mn

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I got the R-Design XC90.

a) it's loving massive.
b) I curbed the alloys already. I only had it 5 hours. It's ok though, it's a 4x4 it's supposed to look lived in. Right. :ohdear:

Just glad it was me not my wife, as she would feel terrible. I'm gutted, but meh, it happens.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Drove through a partially flooded street to get home yesterday (no other option), now I have no headlights.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

(I bought new xenon bulbs already)

E: Hopefully its the bulbs and not the ballast.

Bulbs here tomorrow, checked the harness, still seeing 14V. *fingers crossed*

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Oodles posted:

I got the R-Design XC90.

a) it's loving massive.
b) I curbed the alloys already. I only had it 5 hours. It's ok though, it's a 4x4 it's supposed to look lived in. Right. :ohdear:

Just glad it was me not my wife, as she would feel terrible. I'm gutted, but meh, it happens.

drat that sucks. :(

Speaking of curbing wheels, I've avoided some gnarly curbs while at the same time do some perfect parking due to the automtic side mirror angling when I put it (V70) in reverse. It's really an awesome function to have. I mean I can even avoid poo poo lying in the gutter that I didn't see while pulling up to park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Whelp, this is now in my garage. (Sorry for the dealer photos. I'm too paranoid about posting pics from home.)

2012 C70 Inscription