Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
My aim is to replace my 2011 MBP 13" with an air (resolution is sooo much nice on my friends) and buy an iMac for my desk at work. The issue is cash as I cant sell my MBP until I have an Air. Also the prices on ebay are stupidly high compared to the refub store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thegasman2000 posted:

My aim is to replace my 2011 MBP 13" with an air (resolution is sooo much nice on my friends) and buy an iMac for my desk at work. The issue is cash as I cant sell my MBP until I have an Air. Also the prices on ebay are stupidly high compared to the refub store.

Sell on eBay, buy on refurb store.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Sell on eBay, buy on refurb store.

Be careful about selling on eBay-- after ebay + paypal fees + shipping + insurance you're looking at something like 13-15% of the price going away- unless you're a power seller and have lower eBay fees. Always try selling on forums/craigslist first unless you're scared of being ripped off (which still happens on eBay).

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'd get a iMac 2011 refurb right now if there wasn't the possibility of USB 3.0 being supported in iMac 2012. The transfer rate between USB2.0 and 3.0 is incredibly worth waiting for, especially since I will want a bunch of direct attached storage to go with this.

Violator
May 15, 2003

My parents have multiple iPhones and Macbook Pros. My dad bought a Netgear router with the hopes of connecting a USB drive to it so he could backup his files to it and use it to store and stream his iTunes library. He can't get the router to properly see and share the drive, so he's looking for a better solution.

I know the Airport Extreme and Time Capsules don't act as iTunes servers, do they? Would he need an always-on computer to stream his music?

Any recommendations?

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Violator posted:

My parents have multiple iPhones and Macbook Pros. My dad bought a Netgear router with the hopes of connecting a USB drive to it so he could backup his files to it and use it to store and stream his iTunes library. He can't get the router to properly see and share the drive, so he's looking for a better solution.

I know the Airport Extreme and Time Capsules don't act as iTunes servers, do they? Would he need an always-on computer to stream his music?

Any recommendations?

If he wants his iTunes Library to be available to the iPhones through Home Sharing, yes, he's going to have to have one computer on all the time with iTunes open to stream his music. If he just wants the iTunes folder itself available to all computers on his network, an Airport Extreme with an external USB drive hooked up to it would work fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aren't people installing Leopards on old AppleTV's to do this?http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1224785

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Getting a mac to replace an HP envy 14 as my primary work computer. I travel a fair bit would the current Airs be an acceptable purchase to hook up to my 28" monitor or should I get the macbook pro instead? Work use entails a lot of SSH, web browsers, remote desktop, occasional light photoshop. Also my monitor is HDMI, no DVI.

whaam fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 21, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

whaam posted:

Getting a mac to replace an HP envy 14 as my primary work computer. I travel a fair bit would the current Airs be an acceptable purchase to hook up to my 28" monitor or should I get the macbook pro instead?

I've got my 13" current gen Air hooked up to a 24" Dell IPS monitor and it works great. 28" shouldn't be an issue.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whaam posted:

Getting a mac to replace an HP envy 14 as my primary work computer. I travel a fair bit would the current Airs be an acceptable purchase to hook up to my 28" monitor or should I get the macbook pro instead? Work use entails a lot of SSH, web browsers, remote desktop, occasional light photoshop. Also my monitor is HDMI, no DVI.

My 2011 13 air can power a 27 inch 2560x1440 with no problems (I had to pay $60 for an active converter minidp-> dual link dvi though). It can also run the screen on the laptop at the same time. The MBP can do 2 displays out though.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Ok so we're reasonably sure the refresh for the MBP is coming next month, right? Because I'm going to buy one but I don't want to get one now if the new one is coming out less than a month away.

Also, has anyone played the Diablo 3 beta on their MBP? I know it runs fairly slowly on the Air, and honestly it's one of my reasons for getting the Pro.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Daric posted:

Ok so we're reasonably sure the refresh for the MBP is coming next month, right? Because I'm going to buy one but I don't want to get one now if the new one is coming out less than a month away.
There's no "reasonably sure" until a picture of the retail packaging shows up online. All we can do is interpret rumors and compare those against Intel's roadmap.

As of right now, it looks likely that we'll see new MacBook Pros in April.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Star War Sex Butt posted:

There's no "reasonably sure" until a picture of the retail packaging shows up online. All we can do is interpret rumors and compare those against Intel's roadmap.

As of right now, it looks likely that we'll see new MacBook Pros in April.

Yeah, I know with Apple there's no real way to tell but the rumor is April?

Do we have any idea what the specs might be in say the better 15" MBP? How would they differ from the MBP now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Daric posted:

Do we have any idea what the specs might be in say the better 15" MBP? How would they differ from the MBP now?
Ivy Bridge which will be ~15% better performance, and probably a bit better battery. Radeon 7000M series. Possible chassis change finally? 13" MBP will probably get the Air's resolution, and maybe the hi-res option on the 15" becomes stock, but that's wishful thinking at this point.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ivy Bridge which will be ~15% better performance, and probably a bit better battery. Radeon 7000M series. Possible chassis change finally? 13" MBP will probably get the Air's resolution, and maybe the hi-res option on the 15" becomes stock, but that's wishful thinking at this point.
I've also seen rumours of a 2880x1800 screen bandied about but I'd probably say that's wishful thinking at this point. The HiDPI stuff still hasn't been completely finalised in Lion and Mountain Lion won't be out for a few more months yet so if they are going to try putting a retina screen into the MBP's, I'd expect them to hold off releasing then until ML is out.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 21, 2012

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Now that the Air has the low end covered, I really hope the 13" Pro continues to exist, but with actual advantages over the Air. The screen and discrete graphics, at least, and perhaps space for the Air-style SSD stick along with a standard hard drive. I have no interest in a 15-inch laptop, but really want the added horsepower/storage.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mercurius posted:

I've also seen rumours of a 2880x1800 screen bandied about but I'd probably say that's wishful thinking at this point. The HiDPI stuff still hasn't been completely finalised in Lion and Mountain Lion won't be out for a few more months yet so if they are going to try putting a retina screen into the MBP's, I'd expect them to hold off releasing then until ML is out.

I don't know if I see this happening -- we have rumors that production has started and yet nothing regarding a leak on the screens. If there is some crazy display on them, I'd expect the rumors to start flying very soon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

Now that the Air has the low end covered, I really hope the 13" Pro continues to exist, but with actual advantages over the Air. The screen and discrete graphics, at least, and perhaps space for the Air-style SSD stick along with a standard hard drive. I have no interest in a 15-inch laptop, but really want the added horsepower/storage.

Not sure if they would trade the room free'd up by removing the optical drive for an SSD+discrete graphics.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I was editing some video the other day (lots of HD activity), and my computer beachballed. I hard reset it, and it came up with the "missing file system" flashing icon. Plugged my backup drive in via firewire, and it booted just fine. Then I put in a new drive and it still didn't recognize the new one.

Genius bar replaced the HD cable no problem. Took like ten minutes. I put the new drive in when I got home and it booted just fine. Weird thing is that the old drive is still hosed. It won't mount in either OSX or Windows.

Did a failing HD cable destroy my HD, or did a failing HD destroy the HD cable, or did it all just take a gigantic coincidental poo poo? Or maybe I tweaked the HD cable in the wrong direction while removing the broken drive? it is a mystery!!!!!!!!

(also thank god for backups.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You didn't try to reformat it in Disk Utility or see if you could fdisk it on a PC?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have an old Unibody Macbook (the very first ones) that I'm looking to sell (actually I probably should have sold it the moment I got my Air, but that's another story entirely), and I just had a few questions about clearing poo poo off of it. What's the best way to clear the laptop of all of my personal information and important stuff, and if I do that, will it drop back to the OS that I bought it at? I've upgraded to Lion on this machine, and Snow Leopard before that (I have the discs for Snow Leopard, but I can't remember if they'll be usable more than once), and it will probably add to the resale value if I can say it's got the latest OS on it. (I just got the battery replaced for free, so there's that as well.)

Also, are there any other cheap things I can do to add a bit to the resale value? I'll be including a charger (duh), a case (if I can find it), and as many of the discs/booklets that came with it that I can find (which should be most, I've kept them fairly organized). I lost the box long ago, but I don't think that matters too much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

I have an old Unibody Macbook (the very first ones) that I'm looking to sell (actually I probably should have sold it the moment I got my Air, but that's another story entirely), and I just had a few questions about clearing poo poo off of it. What's the best way to clear the laptop of all of my personal information and important stuff, and if I do that, will it drop back to the OS that I bought it at? I've upgraded to Lion on this machine, and Snow Leopard before that (I have the discs for Snow Leopard, but I can't remember if they'll be usable more than once), and it will probably add to the resale value if I can say it's got the latest OS on it. (I just got the battery replaced for free, so there's that as well.)

You can run Disk Utility from the install DVD and do a 'secure wipe' - just do the one-pass, anything else is waste of time. After that, install like normal.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So Lion is a no-go, then?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the aluminum unibodies? Those will run lion.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fleshweasel posted:

the aluminum unibodies? Those will run lion.

Well yeah, it has Lion on it now, but I gather that it won't if I wipe the computer and reinstall. Right?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yoshifan823 posted:

Well yeah, it has Lion on it now, but I gather that it won't if I wipe the computer and reinstall. Right?

It depends what you use, if you use the recovery partition or internet recovery, you can wipe and then immediately install Lion. You might also be able to do that with the disk image from the installer, but I'm not sure about that one.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

You didn't try to reformat it in Disk Utility or see if you could fdisk it on a PC?
Tried both, neither worked. Connected with the external case, DU said something like "This drive cannot be formatted. Back up the data as soon as possible." It wouldn't even mount with the internal cable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

vas0line posted:

Tried both, neither worked. Connected with the external case, DU said something like "This drive cannot be formatted. Back up the data as soon as possible." It wouldn't even mount with the internal cable.

I lost a SSD like this. It was really, really weird.
Wouldn't detect -any- drives but the unformattable SSD with the stock cable.
Replaced stock cable, wouldn't mount unformattable SSD but would see other drives.

:psyduck:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I personally want to punch bitches in the face when they post about rumors here, but I just saw this (from Mac Rumors but it was posted on Reddit):

quote:

Keep in mind that Apple only makes a redesign once every 4 years. The PowerBook G3 was released in 1997, the PowerBook G4 in 2001, the MacBook Pro in 2004 and the unibody MacBook Pro in 2008. Apple never considerably changed the internals within a design generation, offering only incremental updates to the CPU, GPU and storage capacity but keeping the same screen and storage type.

The next Macbook Pro is gonna be awesome.

Here's to hoping for a re-design.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That statement certainly twists the facts to suit its conclusion. It ignores the AlBooks and the remarkable differences between each PowerBook G3. Even in more recent times screen baseline and options have changed within a design.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And this part: "Apple never considerably changed the internals within a design generation, offering only incremental updates to the CPU, GPU and storage capacity but keeping the same screen and storage type."
...ignores the whole PPC-Intel switch (where only the MacBook was a completely new design), along with the Nehalem and Sandy Bridge updates.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am fairly confident the next MacBook Pro will not so much be a MacBook Pro as it will be a TabletBook Pro(TM).

Seriously though, if there is a redesign, I'm eager to see what it is. I've got my dreamlist of features as I'm sure we all do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only guarantee I can imagine is removal of the optical drive. Maybe retina screens if the release is late in the year. I have a feeling that's going to be a 2013 thing though.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

movax posted:

I am fairly confident the next MacBook Pro will not so much be a MacBook Pro as it will be a TabletBook Pro(TM).

Seriously though, if there is a redesign, I'm eager to see what it is. I've got my dreamlist of features as I'm sure we all do.

I'd imagine a thinner, optical-drive-less Macbook Pro, but not Wedge like the Air. Also guessing that MBPs will only come in 15 & 17 Inch, but include by default 128 GB Flash + 500 GB HD. So you'll have a SSD only, wedge MBA in 11, 13, and 15 inch models, and then a MBP thats thinner than its previous generation, but with more storage, RAM and graphics options, at 15 and 17 inch. All laptops with the standard "HD" resolutions.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In the process of clearing my old Macbook for sale, I'm not able to find the install discs, neither the one it came with nor the one for Snow Leopard. Is there a way I can do a wipe without those? I have iLife and iWork and the applications disc that it came with, but that's all I can find.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

In the process of clearing my old Macbook for sale, I'm not able to find the install discs, neither the one it came with nor the one for Snow Leopard. Is there a way I can do a wipe without those? I have iLife and iWork and the applications disc that it came with, but that's all I can find.

http://www.hackmac.org/hacks/how-to-create-a-new-administrator-account/

Then delete the user account you are using right now, after you are logged in as the new admin account.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have some pretty distinctive image persistence on my 23" ACD. :( It appears that nearly the entire Chrome address bar is 'burnt' into the screen. I've tried a few things like LCDScrub and having a completely white image fullscreened for a few hours every day but that's a no go and my regular screensaver kicks in automatically pretty often to no avail. What puzzles me is how quickly the 'burn' happens, it only took a day of moderate use for it to add a new bookmark icon on the bookmark bar into the image, but hours of white does nothing?

How does Apple handle these things? I mean, the display is quite old and I've probably lost the receipt by now but would it be feasible to get it fixed? Can it be fixed, and are there any practical home remedies for it apart from LCDScrub and such?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My '07 Macbook that somehow still exists has been having heating problems due to an unusually warm spring. Usually it's streaming video- sometimes it just stutters but if it gets bad enough and really plotzes then I have to restart, and that can't be healthy. Given the age it's probably on its way out, but in the meantime, are there any good easy cooling solutions? Do the "cooling stands" that get sold do any good or what?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's probably some dust clogged up in the fans. Try blowing them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

There's probably some dust clogged up in the fans. Try blowing them out.

How do I access them? I've literally never opened up this thing.