Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm installing a TV in my kid's bedroom and if I don't get the antenna back there he's gonna stream all the time and kill my data so I just ordered the SiliconDust HDHomeRun EXTEND.FREE Broadcast HDTV (2-Tuner) 2 OTA Tuners h.264 Transcode. That's the one I want right? Like I basically can install that right off my antenna and plug it into my router and like magic or whatever it'll be able to broadcast to two tvs? No way to get it to work for 3 or 4? I mean that's really not gonna happen but I'm just spitballing here.

I also plan on resubscribing to PlexPass so I can DVR stuff like Jeopardy and nerd poo poo on PBS.

Am I wrong on any of that? Got any info or tips? Did I just gently caress up and buy the wrong thing?

Edit: Another thing, will streaming from the HDHomerun gently caress with my data cap or is it all on my LAN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
First of all, each TV is gonna need a client device that can run the HDHomerun app or some other app that'll access it. If you're just trying to make it so he can watch TV you could just hook an antenna up to your kid's TV and not even gently caress with the HDHomerun. Also the models with the built in transcoder aren't worth the premium, IMO.

Local streaming won't affect your data cap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Extend has two tuners, so you can watch two shows at once, though I believe you can watch those on more than two TVs. I'm not sure. In any case, if you want to watch more, you should probably get the Connect Quatro, which has four tuners and seems to be cheaper on Amazon, though the extend transcodes to h.264, which may or may not matter. I have a Quatro and it seems to work fine in my apartment, but YMMV, I suppose.

It shouldn't use any data, though whatever software you use to view it will use some to pull down the TV schedules, but that shouldn't be significant.

And yeah, you'll need either PlexPass for HDHomeRun's DVR service if you want to DVR stuff.

Edit: And yeah, each TV needs a client device. I use Apple TVs for mine with the Channels app, but you can also watch in Plex.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So what do you mean a client device? It's gonna be a TCL Roku TV, that works yeah? Also, if I lived where I didn't need a massive antenna on my roof I'd be down with just getting a mohu leaf or whatever but I live in the foothills north of Atlanta so installing more than one antenna is problematic.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

So what do you mean a client device? It's gonna be a TCL Roku TV, that works yeah? Also, if I lived where I didn't need a massive antenna on my roof I'd be down with just getting a mohu leaf or whatever but I live in the foothills north of Atlanta so installing more than one antenna is problematic.

If the client device has the HDHomerun app, it works.

Is the massive antenna on the roof connected to your coax outlets?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

If the client device has the HDHomerun app, it works.

Is the massive antenna on the roof connected to your coax outlets?

Ok I'm a moron so I canceled the HDhomerun. I think for my situation I want the Tablo DUAL 64GB OTA DVR for Cord Cutters - with WiFi - For use with HDTV Antennas, right? The antenna will come in, plug into that and then that goes into the router and I'm off to the races? I have all Roku TVs at this point.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 17, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Does Roku have a HDhomerun app? God I hope so. Also it comes into my main TV which is next to my router. I'm getting the one that transcodes because I'll be streaming it over wifi and I know if I don't I'm asking for trouble.

Uh oh. It looks like the roku doesn't? What do I need then that'd be cheap?

You are asking for trouble. The transcoder gets freezy sometimes, especially during extended viewing. If your WiFi is good and has a strong signal, and the HDHR is wired into the router, you'll be fine.

If you're buying a client device just skip the transcoding poo poo and get one that'll play MPEG2 the way it's broadcast. I think the newest firetv does it. If the kid has a PS4 or Xbone that works too.

Some Plex device apps don't support live TV, check to see if yours does before spending money.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I edited my post. Thanks for the help guys. So the Tablo is probably the best solution?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have an old HDHR Duo, and have used the Plex app on a Roku Xpress without issues - I don't use it much though as we're primarily cable and there's a cable app that works perfectly on the Roku so it might not be as good as I presume it is.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah the more I read about it, I should get the Tablo. I'm not super great at all this so I'm winging it. For a simple plug and play solution that works with Roku I think I'm gonna pony up $220 for the 4 tuner Tablo and just plug a usb hard drive into it that I have laying around. It does what I thought the HDHomerun would do. That was my bad.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

For watching all 2018 NFL games live, is the best option still signing up for NFL Gamepass over VPN? Done that for the past 3 years but I think the price was up to like $299 last year and I was wondering if there was something cheaper.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tonic posted:

For watching all 2018 NFL games live, is the best option still signing up for NFL Gamepass over VPN? Done that for the past 3 years but I think the price was up to like $299 last year and I was wondering if there was something cheaper.

The biggest problem with that is more and more VPN IP ranges are being flagged as dirty by content providers, so you could risk being out that money a week or two into the season.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tonic posted:

You're probably better off getting on r/nflstreams or grandmastreams and Chromecasting whatever YouTube Live link goes up

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

You're probably better off getting on r/nflstreams or grandmastreams and Chromecasting whatever YouTube Live link goes up

This. It sucks and isn't a great solution by any means. For some Broncos games I'll spend the better part of 30 minutes trying all of the streams to see if they're castable to my TV. Then again I use Roku so I'm limited in what I can just throw up there.

Also turns out the Tablo is exactly what I wanted. So can someone give me an "explain it like I'm 5" version of what the HDHomerun does compared to the Tablo? I've followed this thread for years so I assume the info would be helpful to other cord cutting idiots like me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

This. It sucks and isn't a great solution by any means. For some Broncos games I'll spend the better part of 30 minutes trying all of the streams to see if they're castable to my TV. Then again I use Roku so I'm limited in what I can just throw up there.

Also turns out the Tablo is exactly what I wanted. So can someone give me an "explain it like I'm 5" version of what the HDHomerun does compared to the Tablo? I've followed this thread for years so I assume the info would be helpful to other cord cutting idiots like me.

Last year the new hotness for football streams was one with a Chromecast button. Worth the $35.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Honestly, HTPCs aren't great but for 299 you could work something up and just NFLstreams that way. It's how I plan on doing it this year for red zone.

All I need from DTVN is RedZone and it would be perfect :smith:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Tablo is a box with an integrated tuner, storage (or USB hookup for BYO storage), and DVR software.

HDHomeRun is just an ethernet-connected tuner. Other software can connect to it, tell it to switch to a channel, and pull down a stream of whatever that tuner is "seeing." They have their own DVR software as an add-on, you can use something like Plex to do the DVR stuff, or you could use several different apps out there to just connect to the tuner and watch it live.

If you want your stuff to just work, Tablo looks pretty cool for that and I think you made a good call. HDHomeRun is nice if you want more flexibility and you don't want to be locked in to one specific DVR platform, or you want to roll your own setup.

I have an antenna in my attic with a drop to my basement. I've got an HDHomeRun plugged into that antenna feed. I've also got a QNAP NAS with Plex running on it, with 1TB of storage allocated to it. I use the Plex app on my Fire TV, and the phone app and Plex website when I'm away from home.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

tonic posted:

Mine just renewed at $129.99, and last I checked, still works over adfreetime.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My brother is still in college and my father-in-law wants Gamepass for redzone/out of market games, so we lucked out. A lot of colleges/universities get discounted gamepass.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I just cut the cord and subscribed to YouTube TV. I also have fire TV devices in all of my rooms.

Is there seriously no way to install the YouTube TV app? I'm not about to start using a browser or casting my phone like some putz. I'm willing to hack these stupid things if I have to. Anyone have any experience they can share?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I just cut the cord and subscribed to YouTube TV. I also have fire TV devices in all of my rooms.

Is there seriously no way to install the YouTube TV app? I'm not about to start using a browser or casting my phone like some putz. I'm willing to hack these stupid things if I have to. Anyone have any experience they can share?

Nope, Google and Amazon are not cooperating with each other.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If you're going to do a Cable With Buffering service, don't do one run by a hardware rival of the company that made your streaming box.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I agree. Amazon sucks but I have a fire stick in every room. There's really no way? Even with some xda fuckery?

I really like the fire cube :(

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

why don't any of y'all check this poo poo before opening the wallet

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Luceo posted:

Mine just renewed at $129.99, and last I checked, still works over adfreetime.

Isn稚 that the price for no live regular season games [US pricing]??

What country afreetime did you use when signing up?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

phosdex posted:

Nope, Google and Amazon are not cooperating with each other.

poo poo like this is why I have roku's in my house now. Sure, the interface looks like it's ripped out of 2009 still but it supports drat near every streaming app and service known to man, plus has the highest market share out of the streaming boxes so developers aren't as likely to shun it when making apps for new services and stuff.

I honestly disconnected my shield because there's no native DTVNOW or NHL app :(

I got tired of grabbing updated beta APK's from XDA and sideloading them. gently caress that. I wanna watch TV not gently caress around with that poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

If you're going to do a Cable With Buffering service, don't do one run by a hardware rival of the company that made your streaming box.

YouTube TV is on Apple TV though. It's only Amazon that they specifically hate.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Endless Mike posted:

YouTube TV is on Apple TV though. It's only Amazon that they specifically hate.

To be fair Amazon was straight up jacking YouTube streams and stripping ads and user identification from them so it's kind of understandable?

Basically they are both in the same business of general scummy data mining but it's kind of hard to fault Google on pulling the plug.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Any time Amazon is in some kind of pissfight it's fair to assume Amazon is the problem. They're like if Fishmech were a company.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stripping ads from YouTube is good though

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

tonic posted:

Isn稚 that the price for no live regular season games [US pricing]??

What country afreetime did you use when signing up?

AdfreeTime's country selection is only for Netflix, so just the standard setup. The package they say they're giving me is the same one I usually have with live games, from outside the US.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Put this in the Plex thread so won't bother posting it all again but Silicon Dust has a skinny bundle offering now and it integrates well with Plex, Emby, and the ATV Channels app. And possibly Google Live Channels as well though I haven't tried that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605&pagenumber=114#post487393732

45 channels, 4 simultaneous streams, DVR/Timeshift support (if you use a client like Plex that supports it) for $34.99/m and the integration is pretty drat nice. Also supports your local OTA channels as well, of course. US only although Canadian support is coming soon.

You can also use Silicon Dust's own clients for various platforms, if you are a masochist and hate good apps.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Install Terrarium TV on your Fire TV. You値l thank me later.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hamburlgar posted:

Install Terrarium TV on your Fire TV. You値l thank me later.

lol. That looks super-legit. No sir, nothing illegal going on here.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

lol. That looks super-legit. No sir, nothing illegal going on here.

The webpage for it has everything I love about modern bullshit app advertising starting with:

"It's completely legal"

No it isn't. There's your first red flag. "Oh wait, all this stuff that the publishers charge for is actually free and legal? Who are these rubes that pay for it LOLOL"

Hint: You're the rube.

They also use Material Design to mimic as closely as they can the Google Play store even though this would not be allowed on Google Play in a million years (or it would, if only because their screening service is backlogged).

As far as "How can I get Youtube TV, a legit service I paid for, on my FireTV considering Amazon and Google are still kicking each other in the balls?" goes, this is a pretty hilarious suggestion. Why not just say, "subscribe to both an NZB and "News" account and download everything" instead? Probably a better experience too.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yes, I知 the rube for not paying out the rear end for subscription services! Somebody call the police!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Forwarded to tips@fbi.gov

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hamburlgar posted:

Yes, I知 the rube for not paying out the rear end for subscription services! Somebody call the police!

Oh, so you're not a rube. You're an rear end who thinks he's entitled. Got it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hamburlgar posted:

Yes, I’m the rube for not paying out the rear end for subscription services! Somebody call the police!

You wouldn't download an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Hamburlgar posted:

No one is moralizing or gives a gently caress one way or the other if you pirate poo poo.