Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fritz posted:

I've been having to do javascript this last couple weeks and : no thanks

it's amazing how a relatively simple language with essentially no standard library can be so painful to program in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

it's amazing how a relatively simple language with essentially no standard library can be so painful to program in

standard libraries are arguably more important than language design

e.g. why java is nicer than C#

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:eyepop:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not arguably, clearly. the only reason it isn't a truism is the number of dilettantes on the internet. language design matters to the extent that it increases library quality & availability

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
someone tell me where the java like language with the library options of python is

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

someone tell me where the java like language with the library options of python is

java?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

java is that language. (use groovy or scala if you want an interactive prompt / scripting features)

python library availability is sad by comparison

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

i tried looking for java packages to deal with capturing images from webcam and almost everything either seemed dead or just straight up didn't work, it seemed like something that would have been easier to find

is there a package manager for java like pip???

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
wait its maven isnt it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i tried looking for java packages to deal with capturing images from webcam and almost everything either seemed dead or just straight up didn't work, it seemed like something that would have been easier to find

is there a package manager for java like pip???

that might be weird because it's OS/webcam specific so you're gonna have to deal with drivers and stuff i'd think but it should still be straight forward

i dunno though i dont do java

did you look at this?
http://webcam-capture.sarxos.pl/

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 6, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

webcams specifically are a rough point because of JMF.

JMF came from Sun, so it became the de facto way to do all media stuff in java. not a lot of 3rd party competition, because why bother trying?

the problem is that oracle abandoned JMF. so now in 2014 everything is bitrotten AND there is no obvious 3rd party choice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this is pretty much the story for everything client side that isnt javafx or opengl :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted:

wait its maven isnt it

yes. its always maven.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that might be weird because it's OS/webcam specific so you're gonna have to deal with drivers and stuff i'd think but it should still be straight forward

did you look at this?

yeah that looks good. I'd try that one. it looks like its a wrapper around a couple of different java webcam implementations

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
are you trying to make JOmegle?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

did you look at this?

Shaggar posted:

yeah that looks good. I'd try that one. it looks like its a wrapper around a couple of different java webcam implementations

yeah thanks i actually have that favourited, i think it is literally the only working one. from what i have seen it does seem...fine but more experiment is needed

are you trying to make JOmegle?

lol no, i was just thinking of doing something ~fun~ with image recognition, like...trap sprung...some kind of app that you can photograph magic cards or w/e and it just catalogues them all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its a client app do it in wpf instead. java is good but java uis are not.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i think the chief greybeard here wrote a java webcam library for some project and still uses it in classes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

JMX is a pretty good UI imo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

ive done some checking lut of this and it looks a little elaborate for what I was thinking of. BUT ive been looking to do something with visual studio for a little while now anyway and this would be an excuse to learn some C# too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xaml is own zone. data bind erry day.

if u want ur poo poo to look rad use this: https://mui.codeplex.com/

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

xaml is own zone. data bind erry day.

if u want ur poo poo to look rad use this: https://mui.codeplex.com/

ok yeah that looks great, I love the metro look

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ps2oz8e4i7tqyg/IS3%20mock%20for%20UGS%202014%20Questions_2.pdf

a mock paper for the exam i have tomorrow, the class was completely changed last year so we have to guinea pig it this time, which also happened last year with another class

this class is ok but the poo poo they ask is jsut annoying

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Valeyard posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ps2oz8e4i7tqyg/IS3%20mock%20for%20UGS%202014%20Questions_2.pdf

a mock paper for the exam i have tomorrow, the class was completely changed last year so we have to guinea pig it this time, which also happened last year with another class

wish you'd send your posts to the gulf of execution

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

uncurable mlady posted:

wish you'd send your posts to the gulf of execution

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you know what? gently caress git.

i'm fine spending 6 hours making a menu item float properly. i spend 5 minutes with git and i want to break something.

gently caress linus, gently caress linux and open source.

quote:

git-checkout - Checkout a branch or paths to the working tree

i know most man pages are condescending but holy poo poo.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
looking at those questions, i think your uni class is a piece of poo poo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

i'm fine spending 6 hours making a menu item float properly. i spend 5 minutes with git and i want to break something.

that is dumb, maybe this thread will be of greater help tho

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PleasureKevin posted:

dont use the man page just google the thing you want to do and someone on stack overflow tells you how to do it

i've never even seen the dang man page i just go 'how do i undo push to remote branch !urgent'

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeruFM posted:

looking at those questions, i think your uni class is a piece of poo poo

ok good, i was just making sure it wasnt just me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

just google the thing you want to do and someone on stack overflow tells you how to do it

computer jobs 101

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

1) i dont know the answers to their history of user interface questions but i dont really care, i think if i did care i could learn it pretty quickly

2) i'm more concerned with the || symbol on 2(a). does it have some special meaning or did a programming professor decide to just confuse people by arbitrarily using it there?

3) don't you guys have a haskell compiler you should be working on??

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

computer jobs 101

i could, given a long time, read the git manpage and "git-r-done"

but why

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i could, given a long time, read the git manpage and "git-r-done"

but why

Conceptually understanding an important tool to programming is paramount to being a good software engineer

Or something... I don't know I'm one of the terrible programmers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Careful Drums posted:

Conceptually understanding an important tool to programming is paramount to being a good software engineer

Or something... I don't know I'm one of the terrible programmers

i do understand it

there's a git repo

the repo contains many branches, and each branch has commits

if i submit a commit, and it conflicts with another commit (which is what git keeps track of idk how they do it i dont think it's timestamps!!) then i have to merge the conflicts (this is the hard part)

then there's about 10,000 different commands lines none of which you need. the most important ones are 'i just hosed something up and then pushed it to the remote branch, what do i do' and 'okay save'

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

but git isn't a programming language or IDE*. it's a high-tech "share button" that should "just work" without me having to study it.

* unless it is, in which case gently caress it even more.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if u have a big team u should probably have one person who understands git pretty well (not me)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so you can give them wedgies?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
man pages are completely unreadable. google forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

i do understand it

there's a git repo

the repo contains many branches, and each branch has commits

if i submit a commit, and it conflicts with another commit (which is what git keeps track of idk how they do it i dont think it's timestamps!!) then i have to merge the conflicts (this is the hard part)

then there's about 10,000 different commands lines none of which you need. the most important ones are 'i just hosed something up and then pushed it to the remote branch, what do i do' and 'okay save'

merging is actually p simple. if you have two commits c0 and c1 and a common ancestor a, you

calculate the diff of c0 and a and split that up into blocks of changes
calculate the diff of c1 and a and split that up into blocks of changes

you dont care about blocks that changed in neither diff
if a block changed in one diff but not the other, take the changed version
if it changed in both diffs but it changed to the same thing, just take the change
if it changed in both but the changes arent equivalent, then panic and tell the dev to fix it

• Locked thread