Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

badjohny posted:

I am at a loss, so maybe someone here can help. We just got in 30+ new iPads. The lawyers that use them would like to be able to access about 30 files that they all use on the go. I know i can email the files to each person, copy them over to pages one by one and it would work. But every time the files need updating I would have to go machine to machine to redo them.

I would like something like dropbox where they would all have access to it, but for security reason I have been told the solution needs to reside on our network. I have exchange and a standard windows 2012 r2 setup. I know that sharepoint seems to do what I want, but it also does about 1000x more than we need.

Goodreader can synchronize server files to an iPad. http://www.goodreader.com/gr-man-tr-servers.html#sync You'd probably want to set up a sftp or webdav https server locally that they can sync to, with or without access to the Internet depending on security needs/need to update on the go.

I'm assuming PDF files which Goodreader is designed for, but Goodreader will take most any filetype generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BottleKnight posted:

No, they're just trying to not piss off the people who bought a Pro just to have another 10" tablet 4 months later also use the Pencil.

Wouldn't piss me off. I wanted the big screen.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Doctor Zero posted:

Wouldn't piss me off. I wanted the big screen.

For real.Having owned an air and played extensively with a Pro, as a *production* device (e.g. using pencil) vs. a consumption device, I'd much rather have the large screen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Croc Monster posted:

For real.Having owned an air and played extensively with a Pro, as a *production* device (e.g. using pencil) vs. a consumption device, I'd much rather have the large screen.

It's a better consumption device too, in just about every way except portability.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

mediaphage posted:

It's a better consumption device too, in just about every way except portability.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I found the Air 1 great for netflix in bed, propped up against my knees. I was perfectly fine with the size. But for painting, editing photos, working with soft synths, I'd be much happier with the larger screen.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't think I'll ever go smaller with the iPad. The 13" is perfect for me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The bigger display is really nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the price difference for me. If they can keep the new iPad the same prices as the Air 2 it's $659 CAD for 64gb, the iPad Pro is $1049 CAD for 32gb/$1249 for 128gb. $400-$600 depending on storage is a lot.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

BGrifter posted:

The bigger display is really nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the price difference for me. If they can keep the new iPad the same prices as the Air 2 it's $659 CAD for 64gb, the iPad Pro is $1049 CAD for 32gb/$1249 for 128gb. $400-$600 depending on storage is a lot.

The new iPad Air 3, with pencil support, etc, will be more expensive, though than previous ipad of this size, from what I have heard. Somewhere between the pro and previous airs

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a 32gig iPad Air purchased in April 2014. Model number MD786ZP/A. I bought it in Hong Kong, but I live in Denmark.

It has recently developed a quite annoying flickering problem, where the screen will turn off completely, for a fraction of a second to several seconds. When it's flickering "off" it's completely

I've fiddled with the brightness and autobrightness settings (some people seem to indicate that can fix things.) but that doesn't work.

Called Apple Support Denmark and they won't touch it, as it's more than a year old.

Crap part is that it's really been pampered, basically never left my couch, rarely used, never been dropped...

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bolind posted:

I have a 32gig iPad Air purchased in April 2014. Model number MD786ZP/A. I bought it in Hong Kong, but I live in Denmark.

It has recently developed a quite annoying flickering problem, where the screen will turn off completely, for a fraction of a second to several seconds. When it's flickering "off" it's completely

I've fiddled with the brightness and autobrightness settings (some people seem to indicate that can fix things.) but that doesn't work.

Called Apple Support Denmark and they won't touch it, as it's more than a year old.

Crap part is that it's really been pampered, basically never left my couch, rarely used, never been dropped...

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

If there's no Apple store near you, find an AASP and get a quote. Maybe the repair won't be too expensive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just sold my Air 1 and bought a Pro, and I am never going back to the smaller screen.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What is a quick way to delete all of the photos off of an iPad? I don't want to do it manually if at all possible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What is a quick way to delete all of the photos off of an iPad? I don't want to do it manually if at all possible.
For photos taken/saved on an iPad at least, hook up to a computer and it'll show up as a camera, should be able to delete them from there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I was really excited at first about all these rumours about a 9.7" iPad Pro being announced this month. But the more I think about it - and after trying one in the Apple Store - I might really like the big 13" original Pro.

I'd really need to use one for a while to see what it's actually like sitting on my desk or if it'll fit on the tray over my bath for watching movies (I am a lazy slob) before committing. I so wish I could just like rent one for a fortnight to see what I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I was really excited at first about all these rumours about a 9.7" iPad Pro being announced this month. But the more I think about it - and after trying one in the Apple Store - I might really like the big 13" original Pro.

I'd really need to use one for a while to see what it's actually like sitting on my desk or if it'll fit on the tray over my bath for watching movies (I am a lazy slob) before committing. I so wish I could just like rent one for a fortnight to see what I think.

I'd say it depends on your use case.

If it were just for things like "reading books" or "watching movies", I could never justify the expense. But for taking notes (with Apple Pencil), annotating and reviewing large PDFs, using O365 apps, the form factor is perfect.

And you can always buy one and and return within the 14 day window if you don't like it to exchange for the smaller form factor/refund.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It's a nuisance since the vast majority of my use case is just watching videos and browsing the internet, but occasionally, no more than once every week or two, being able to handwrite notes would be really useful but not so much that a paper notepad isn't that inconvenient to carry around.

I guess if the 9.7" one with Pencil support is real and not just a rumour, I'll play around with it for a while in the stores.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

japtor posted:

For photos taken/saved on an iPad at least, hook up to a computer and it'll show up as a camera, should be able to delete them from there.

What if they're all imported from an SDHC card?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What if they're all imported from an SDHC card?
It's been forever since I've done a camera import so :iiam: to me here, but I think they get saved to the camera roll? If that's the case you should still be able to access and delete them that way.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I currently have a iPad 4, and I was gonna wait until the event to see what the 9.7 inch iPads were going to be, but now I'm really thinking pro.

At first it seemed like the pro was more for people looking for a laptop replacement, but it seems like that doesn't have to be the case. My iPad lives in my backpack and I don't see how having a couple extra inches will really change how portable the thing is. If I need something ultra portable, I have my iPhone.

My main uses are reading books, magazines, and comics, editing photos, web surfing, and watching movies (usually on airplanes). I think I will like the pen for class note taking as I prefer to take notes by hand.

By the way, how is the iPad pro in coach on a flight? My 15 inch MBP is too big to open up for me, but I hear 13 inches works well.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

flosofl posted:

I'd say it depends on your use case. . . But for taking notes (with Apple Pencil), annotating and reviewing large PDFs, using O365 apps, the form factor is perfect.

I've been using it to take notes in class for a couple weeks now and man is it amazing, I don't know if I would feel the same on a smaller screen. The Pro is the perfect "notebook" size.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Haggins posted:

I currently have a iPad 4, and I was gonna wait until the event to see what the 9.7 inch iPads were going to be, but now I'm really thinking pro.

At first it seemed like the pro was more for people looking for a laptop replacement, but it seems like that doesn't have to be the case. My iPad lives in my backpack and I don't see how having a couple extra inches will really change how portable the thing is. If I need something ultra portable, I have my iPhone.

My main uses are reading books, magazines, and comics, editing photos, web surfing, and watching movies (usually on airplanes). I think I will like the pen for class note taking as I prefer to take notes by hand.

By the way, how is the iPad pro in coach on a flight? My 15 inch MBP is too big to open up for me, but I hear 13 inches works well.

It'll be fine on a plane, mine is. Magazines and comics are also WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL on the iPad Pro. It was honestly a big reason I wanted one; I always wnated to read them on my iPad/iPad 3 but the screens were just too small to really enjoy it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I have a 3rd Generation iPad running iOS 9.2.1, what are my options for connecting a controller to it?

I bought a SteelSeries StratusXL to use with my iPhone 6S+, but it's not compatible with my iPad because of the older hardware I presume.

When I had a jailbreak, I could connect a PS3 DualShock to the iPad... is there any sort of native support now?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Fenom posted:

I've been using it to take notes in class for a couple weeks now and man is it amazing, I don't know if I would feel the same on a smaller screen. The Pro is the perfect "notebook" size.

I've been doing the same, it's a fabulous size. One of the excellent capabilities of the size is that I can have a textbook open in goodreader and take notes in notability at the same time through splitview, without feeling cramped or that there is a lack of space.

It's pretty much the perfect portable device if you're a student, the Microsoft office suite is quite the workhorse.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ok I think I'm going to go with the pro. I'm on the fence about the apple keyboard case. I bought one for my ipad 4 and I rarely use it. I don't type much on my ipad and when I do, it's only for short bursts. Considering how I use my ipad (currently reading, editing photos, web surfing, and watching movies and with soon taking handwritten notes in class) I don't think I'll ever use the keyboard.

Anyone regret not getting the keyboard?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haggins posted:

Anyone regret not getting the keyboard?
I regretted buying the Apple Smart Keyboard, and I returned it. I tried both that one and the Logitech Create. The Apple Keyboard I felt was missing another row of keys and the iPad was held at too steep an angle. I did keep the Logitech Create, but in retrospect I should have returned it. It's sooo bulky and I just don't use the keyboard that much. If I need to blast through some email, update some documents, or even post bullshit to a forum like SA I pull out a Logitech K380 which can pair with up to 3 devices. It will use Mac/Win/Android/iOS modifier keys depending which device it connects to. Lasts forever on 2 AAA batteries and costs 1/5 as much as the "Smart Connector" keyboards.

If I'm doing input, it's mostly handwritten notes in Noteshelf or annotation in PDF Expert. The Pencil is something I have not regretted.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sounds good, I feel like I'd be the same way. Also, I have a wireless apple BT keyboard sitting in a draw that I could use if I feel the inclination.

Now I just need a case. Would to find something that gives me a couple different viewing angles and feels comfortable when flipped around for lap and bed reading.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Is an iPad mini 3, LTE, 128gig for $395 a bad deal? It's new in box.

From what I've read, the A7 and 1gig of RAM means I should get a more expensive 4.

The 3 is a crazy good price though. Use: mostly movies, browsing and some games. Don't want to buy something that will be sluggish in normal use though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hotsauce posted:

From what I've read, the A7 and 1gig of RAM means I should get a more expensive 4.

The 3 is a crazy good price though. Use: mostly movies, browsing and some games. Don't want to buy something that will be sluggish in normal use though.

Not bad, but the 3 is just a 2 with Touch ID and going on 3 year old tech.

If you can I'd wait for the fall and see what comes out then.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hotsauce posted:

How much do you need the storage or cell connection? (And I guess Touch ID). Cause that's the only stuff that'd make it a deal. If you don't need it Apple has the iPad mini 2 16GB for $229 and 32GB for $269.

Otherwise yeah you're kind of in the nebulous mid cycle time where you could try waiting it out for a new one or just getting the current model. The 2GB is a noticeable improvement for tab retention when browsing (although iOS 9 and ad blocking helped too iirc) and otherwise gets you side by side app multitasking if you plan to use that at all. If they bump it to the A9 for the next update that'll be a pretty big performance jump, while A7 to A8 was pretty modest (but I think still had GPU gains?).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks. I'll wait. The only storage that makes sense is 128 since I load things up with a shitload of media for travel (I fly weekly). Sure I could shuffle on and off on the weekends but I just like to have it all there.

Don't see the need to pay $10/extra for LTE as I can tether just fine. Would like GPS though, so cellular it is I guess.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I'm still using my Mini 2 and even though it's a good little device it's definitely starting to show its age. I'd go for the 4 instead of the 3 if you want it to survive another couple of OS updates without too much pain.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Creature posted:

I'm still using my Mini 2 and even though it's a good little device it's definitely starting to show its age. I'd go for the 4 instead of the 3 if you want it to survive another couple of OS updates without too much pain.

This except I don't know if it's showing its age. I never get frustrated with it, which is my barometer for upgrades, while there have been a few times now that I noticed my 5S dropping the ball.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

This except I don't know if it's showing its age. I never get frustrated with it, which is my barometer for upgrades, while there have been a few times now that I noticed my 5S dropping the ball.

The 5S and Mini 2 have the same A7 processor. Am I missing something here, or is it just a difference in eyeball test / use case?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Do you guys expect to see a price drop on current iPad models when the new one comes out this month, or will they stay mostly the same as it (kinda sorta) creates a new slot in the lineup?
I want to my girlfriend an iPad for her birthday, but right now the Air 2 is a bit outside of my budget. Her birthday is the 24th, just a few days after the new model is set to be announced...should I wait till the last second after the announcement or won't it matter?
I could always grab her an original Air, which is within my budget. My only concern is at that point we're getting a several year old platform and I don't want to run into issues in the future.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If a price drop is coming, non-Apple retailers (Best Buy, Target, etc.) will have "sales" a few days before the Apple announcement, so may as well wait.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just ordered a 128 pro with a pencil!

Also ordered a Sena Vettra Case. I've used their phone cases on my last 2 phones, and have been happy with them. If I've had an issue, they've been good about honoring their warranty. I like that it snaps into the case (I hate how the smart cover pops off all the time), has several viewing angles, works in portrait mode, closes tightly with magnets, and has a loop for the pencil. Seems like it'll work well with my Apple BT keyboard if I ever chose it use it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

The 5S and Mini 2 have the same A7 processor. Am I missing something here, or is it just a difference in eyeball test / use case?
iPad has to draw a lot more pixels, iPad apps might take more RAM, and I guess depending on how the shared memory (for GPU) allocation works the increased screen requirements may affect the available memory too. Basically the iPad needs more resources than the iPhone.

martinlutherbling posted:

Do you guys expect to see a price drop on current iPad models when the new one comes out this month, or will they stay mostly the same as it (kinda sorta) creates a new slot in the lineup?
I want to my girlfriend an iPad for her birthday, but right now the Air 2 is a bit outside of my budget. Her birthday is the 24th, just a few days after the new model is set to be announced...should I wait till the last second after the announcement or won't it matter?
I could always grab her an original Air, which is within my budget. My only concern is at that point we're getting a several year old platform and I don't want to run into issues in the future.
:iiam: If it's "iPad Pro" branded as mentioned they could slot it above the Air 2, or they could replace it and move the Air 2 down to a cheaper price slot. But yeah you might as well wait and hope for a sale.

(Or refurb and use the 14 day return period if new stuff is a better deal, if the refurb return policy is the same as new at least)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

iPad has to draw a lot more pixels, iPad apps might take more RAM, and I guess depending on how the shared memory (for GPU) allocation works the increased screen requirements may affect the available memory too. Basically the iPad needs more resources than the iPhone.
Yes, but he said his Mini 2 is fine while his 5s is giving him trouble. Not the other way around.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, but he said his Mini 2 is fine while his 5s is giving him trouble. Not the other way around.
Ohhh :downs:

I guess he does more poo poo on the phone (or flat out uses it more) and notices its limitations more than the iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haggins posted:

Just ordered a 128 pro with a pencil!

Also ordered a Sena Vettra Case. I've used their phone cases on my last 2 phones, and have been happy with them. If I've had an issue, they've been good about honoring their warranty. I like that it snaps into the case (I hate how the smart cover pops off all the time), has several viewing angles, works in portrait mode, closes tightly with magnets, and has a loop for the pencil. Seems like it'll work well with my Apple BT keyboard if I ever chose it use it.

drat that's a NICE looking case.