Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Flesh Forge posted:

A gem from the comments

I kinda like this metagame of wording insulting comments cleverly enough to get past the screening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wait, does the author police the comments and delete anything negative? :laffo:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wrist Watch posted:

Wait, does the author police the comments and delete anything negative? :laffo:

The artist did, and apparently not anymore

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah they gave up deleting criticism pretty recently. Doesn't mean they listen to any of it but at least they don't erase it all :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah they gave up deleting criticism pretty recently. Doesn't mean they listen to any of it but at least they don't erase it all :shrug:

Presumably they couldn't keep up with the sheer flood of criticism during the max bullshit and just gave up on the comments section all together.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

woah-oh, spack clevin, bam-a-lam

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
blushing virgin clevin

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i will forgive this comic for everything if the next page has clevin stabbed in the throat by an invisible assailant and we find out he had a dark secret

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
"sometimes the bad guy....... is clevin"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

AND THEN IN THE NEXT PANEL SHE RIPS HIS ARM OFF AND DEVOURS HIS TENDER MANFLESH :unsmigghh:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hate this once again

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I read through it again, a while back, and something I noticed

that whole long section where Patrick was telling her about how horrible the world is and how it's all full of evil, and she blew up at him, and then, at the end, he offered her a Loony Toons mug?

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-47-2/

Could that be.... that, with the Loony Toons mug, he was trying to tell her "look, the only reason I've been telling you all this poo poo was specifically to make you angry, there's something deeper going on, why do you think I'm doing this massive attempt at time travel" ?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I mean it seems obvious, but the comic has a bad habit of surprising us by taking the most boring option over the more obvious one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Parahexavoctal posted:

that whole long section where Patrick was telling her about how horrible the world is and how it's all full of evil, and she blew up at him, and then, at the end, he offered her a Loony Toons mug?

Could that be.... that, with the Loony Toons mug, he was trying to tell her "look, the only reason I've been telling you all this poo poo was specifically to make you angry, there's something deeper going on, why do you think I'm doing this massive attempt at time travel" ?

The mug was a call-back to one time they watched Looney Tunes together. It was an attempt by an autistic mind-reader to show some humanity.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Considering she also flipped between pages from "OK you're just spewing crap to make me angry" to "I'm going to take all of that at face value to make a barely coherent claim about your powers" I'm not even sure the authors still know what the intentions in any action of that scene were.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Parahexavoctal posted:

Okay I read a bit further from that page and uh...

This is the comic people were saying used to be better? Why is anyone surprised she forced a dude to do poo poo against his will? In the pages after that link she purposely puts doubts in her friend's head after she was more or less at peace with effectively getting tortured forever, yells at her friend's friend when he tells her to gently caress off, threatens to kill the friend's friend for calling her out, kills a dude for hurting her apparently immortal friend, then threatens to kill a group of peaceful protesters before having to get talked out of it by her half dead friend with third degree burns over her entire body.

It would have been weirder if she didn't force that other dude to do whatever she wanted. She's a loving psychopath.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Wrist Watch posted:

This is the comic people were saying used to be better? Why is anyone surprised she forced a dude to do poo poo against his will? In the pages after that link she purposely puts doubts in her friend's head after she was more or less at peace with effectively getting tortured forever, yells at her friend's friend when he tells her to gently caress off, threatens to kill the friend's friend for calling her out, kills a dude for hurting her apparently immortal friend, then threatens to kill a group of peaceful protesters before having to get talked out of it by her half dead friend with third degree burns over her entire body.

It would have been weirder if she didn't force that other dude to do whatever she wanted. She's a loving psychopath.

On top of which, she was totally fine and cool with any and all shady nonsense Patrick was up to, until he pissed her off.

Although killing the guy with the flamethrower is hard to take issue with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

This is the comic people were saying used to be better?

Well not that part, no, that whole 10 pages or so of textwall was real bad.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I thought that part was still ok, because at that point I was still believing that the comic might actually consider what happens when Superman is actually a moody disillusioned youth with tons of power that they can't actually apply to the problems they want to solve. Yea, Alison is messed up, but that's obvious from early on in the comic and it could have been an interesting premise. What makes the comic bad isn't that Alison does all that poo poo, but that nothing happens at all. It's not just that no one tries to arrest her or bring her to justice for it, it's that no one even says 'Hey, uh, so what about those people you were going to crush with a car?' or even stops hanging out with her because of her fits of violence.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Atmus posted:

Although killing the guy with the flamethrower is hard to take issue with.

It doesn't stand out as well as the other more visible things, but acting as judge, jury, and executioner just because she felt like it in the heat of the moment is still kind of a big loving deal.

Ashcans posted:

I thought that part was still ok, because at that point I was still believing that the comic might actually consider what happens when Superman is actually a moody disillusioned youth with tons of power that they can't actually apply to the problems they want to solve. Yea, Alison is messed up, but that's obvious from early on in the comic and it could have been an interesting premise. What makes the comic bad isn't that Alison does all that poo poo, but that nothing happens at all. It's not just that no one tries to arrest her or bring her to justice for it, it's that no one even says 'Hey, uh, so what about those people you were going to crush with a car?' or even stops hanging out with her because of her fits of violence.

Yeah, that's what I was surprised about. I guess when I was reading posts about how the comic used to be better I didn't realize they meant the premise, not the execution.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Wrist Watch posted:

It doesn't stand out as well as the other more visible things, but acting as judge, jury, and executioner just because she felt like it in the heat of the moment is still kind of a big loving deal.

You're pretty much allowed to kill people that are actively trying to kill other people though. Even in California. The whole arson bit gives a +10 bonus to Affirmative Defense. I am a lawyer and that's how that works.

You could argue that a rational invincible superhero should have taken him down non-violently, but that's not who we have here.

Ashcans posted:

it's that no one even says 'Hey, uh, so what about those people you were going to crush with a car?' or even stops hanging out with her because of her fits of violence.

Violet eventually did.

That's what this comic has become. Violet is the level headed one acting appropriately.

Atmus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 2, 2016

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Atmus posted:

Violet eventually did.

That's what this comic has become. Violet is the level headed one acting appropriately.

Wait who? What?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

All of this was unironically good. And if you think killing the man who lit your friend and a room full of doctors on fire and then yelling at the morons slandering her sacrifice makes you a psychopath you're a god drat moron.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
clevin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I would rather read a comic about the flamethrower guy. He was cool

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Wrist Watch posted:

I can understand killing someone in the heat of the moment, especially in such a situation. What she should have done afterwards, however, was to turn herself in at the nearest police station and face the consequences. To be fair, it would have probably been ruled that she acted to protect someone (obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer) but it would have at least shown she was willing to face the consequences of her actions.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Mikl posted:

in the heat of the moment
oh, you!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mikl posted:

I can understand killing someone in the heat of the moment, especially in such a situation. What she should have done afterwards, however, was to turn herself in at the nearest police station and face the consequences. To be fair, it would have probably been ruled that she acted to protect someone (obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer) but it would have at least shown she was willing to face the consequences of her actions.

Just like the rapist jock whose throat was slit when legal system failed, the same should happen to Alisom.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Patrick Spens posted:

All of this was unironically good. And if you think killing the man who lit your friend and a room full of doctors on fire and then yelling at the morons slandering her sacrifice makes you a psychopath you're a god drat moron.

Dang, you got me. I'm a moron for including a character killing someone in the midst of listing a bunch of irrational things they did in the span of like, ten minutes.

Stopping a terrorist is good, so there's nothing wrong with throwing a dude the length of a football field through a hospital into a crowd of protestors, making it clear that none of them have the power to stop you, and throwing a truck around like a child because they're not listening to you because you just killed a man while screaming that you could kill all of them if you felt like it. This is extremely cool, and good. You are a normal, well adjusted person.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Paladinus posted:

The mug was a call-back to one time they watched Looney Tunes together. It was an attempt by an autistic mind-reader to show some humanity.

I know it was a callback to the scene I linked. I'm suggesting that perhaps it was intended to be somewhat more than that. When they watched Loony Toons together, he commented about how Bugs can talk to Daffy in such a way that Daffy gets enraged, and none of it is serious.

Then he meets with her to talk about something super important. She knows that he thinks that there's a terrible evil conspiracy going on to kill everyone who could actually use their superpowers to change the world in a positive way. She sees that he's undertaking this big project to find out if time travel is possible. She knows that he knows that she's got a crush on him. Then he deliberately says a bunch of stuff to make her really upset. Then he tries to offer her a Loony Toons mug.

Whatever his intentions with offering her the mug, they failed miserably, yes. But could he have been planning something deeper than just "I'll show her the Loony Toons mug, as a callback to that time we watched a cartoon" ?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think that that's the case.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Clevin.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 3, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Wrist Watch posted:

Back then we assumed the comic was going to have some kind of payoff. Then it took a turn into murder-rapists town. Especially using super powers for selfish and legally dubious things. In fact, being a super villain is probably just the best thing you should do from now on.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

Dang, you got me. I'm a moron for including a character killing someone in the midst of listing a bunch of irrational things they did in the span of like, ten minutes.

Yeah, I should have written that better. I didn't mean that everything she did was the the right thing to do, I meant that it made for a good story.

quote:

Stopping a terrorist is good, so there's nothing wrong with throwing a dude the length of a football field through a hospital into a crowd of protestors, making it clear that none of them have the power to stop you, and throwing a truck around like a child because they're not listening to you because you just killed a man while screaming that you could kill all of them if you felt like it. This is extremely cool, and good. You are a normal, well adjusted person.

There's lots wrong with what she did, but nothing in her behaviour was psychopathic. She is upset and irrational because someone who she cares about is suffering, psychopaths don't care about people.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, I should have written that better. I didn't mean that everything she did was the the right thing to do, I meant that it made for a good story.

There's lots wrong with what she did, but nothing in her behaviour was psychopathic. She is upset and irrational because someone who she cares about is suffering, psychopaths don't care about people.

Stop being reasonable, I want to keep being mad about webcomics :mad:

But yeah, psychopathic was an exaggeration. It's definitely stressed out and fed up to be sure but at the same time...there's definitely something off about a person unable to control themselves like that. It makes for a better story than "everybody talks things out like adults" but not if you never follow it up wth anything and keep going like nothing ever happened.

I guess it keeps coming back to the premise being good but the execution being garbage with there being no consequences.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wrist Watch posted:

Stop being reasonable, I want to keep being mad about webcomics :mad:

But yeah, psychopathic was an exaggeration. It's definitely stressed out and fed up to be sure but at the same time...there's definitely something off about a person unable to control themselves like that.

Not...really? The whole situation was hosed top to bottom. She had just, to her knowledge, watched a dear friend engaged in a selfless act be murdered in cold blood alongside a bunch of innocents by a terrorist/zealot. Flipping the gently caress out is not remotely shocking or "off" there. It's an extremely believable action.

This comic has unbelievable amounts of real problems I don't know why anyone would feel compelled to go back and create fake imaginary problems. Focus on real issues.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Killing people is bad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Paladinus posted:

Killing people is bad.

But what if they are bad people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU