Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

https://twitter.com/swamp_land

I only use it for purpose of promoting videos of Mark Levin being a talking cup tho

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

you mother fuckers on twitter?

I just got one but it's mostly for game dev and so far I don't really 'get' it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Somfin posted:

Try laughing at idiots on it and posting inflammatory statements at semi-famous people.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

dude hook me up I have a gamedev twitter account (kindof) and I follow like 2 people from nz in the gamedev scene! I need to be involved

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Twitter owns

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

NZ has a gamedev scene? :haw:

(All joking aside, I'm curious. I'd love to hear more)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well I just gently caress around so I don't really know but

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If they need a VA, I'm down for mates rates.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The two NZ dev houses I know are Grinding Gears and Sidhe. I don't think the DayZ dude ever got his actually set up here since he was trying to pay people under minimum wage.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The two NZ dev houses I know are Grinding Gears and Sidhe. I don't think the DayZ dude ever got his actually set up here since he was trying to pay people under minimum wage.

I think he did, based in Dunedin, then threw a shitfit about NZ being 'anti-entrepreneur' and threatened to take his business to London?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah he got an office then moaned about the lack of broadband Chorus said they had no record of a UFB request at the address and it turned out he hadn't even contacted an ISP. Then he cried about immigration not letting him bring in foreign workers for well below the standard rate for such work in NZ. Then he left in a huff.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
He's a massive prick who deserves every bad thing that happens to him.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think he did, based in Dunedin, then threw a shitfit about NZ being 'anti-entrepreneur' and threatened to take his business to London?

He put up an open message asking people to send in CVs and other expressions of interest. I never heard anything from the guy, but I figured that was down to how jobhunting normally works here more than any kind of fit or dickishness.

(Trying to turn an IT qualification, and every once in a while also including previous experience with NZ tech and gaming media, into steady work is a nightmare.)

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 13, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anticheese posted:

NZ has a gamedev scene? :haw:

(All joking aside, I'm curious. I'd love to hear more)

The Wellington gamedev scene is genuinely taking off. Turns out there are a lot of programmers and artists and sound designers who really want to break into the gaming sector here, and with New Zealand having such a paltry count of major developers, a lot of that talent is getting squandered. There's the local Game Developers of Wellington group which meets once a month, a Unity-specific group meeting up once a month, and a thing called Wellingtaru which is just a bunch of really cool game developers getting together and drinking and sharing war stories, also once a month. The GDOW is backed pretty heavily by a local company, Camshaft Software, which is making an extremely niche, but very popular game called Automation (basically, make cars, customise cars, build engines, test performance, eventually tycoon it up once the economy is implemented). Automation is not my kind of game, but it is one that I am very glad exists, because the people who want it are people who have never had a game and finally have a game made for them.

Additionally, there's a lot of New Zealand game development that just flies totally under the radar, because it's kind of hard to justify covering it in any sort of depth locally or internationally, or because game developers need a lot of confidence before they can justify making it New Zealand-y. The Bloons series of flash games is made here, Poly Bridge was made by a local, and the guy making Scraps is local as well.

echinopsis posted:

dude hook me up I have a gamedev twitter account (kindof) and I follow like 2 people from nz in the gamedev scene! I need to be involved

I'm @HarvestWorkshop, but I haven't actually posted anything yet- university is eating my time and I've got a long way to go before I'm quite ready to show my project off formally.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 13, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting to know!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Thanks for the overview! I've met some of the Sidhe folks on the job, and knew all about Grinding Gear, but the Wellington scene isn't something I've had much exposure to, being stranded in Tauranga.

I'd definitely love to meet some of the people down there, if just for coffee and getting a bit more perspective on what it's like being a part of this underdeveloped industry here in NZ.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anticheese posted:

Thanks for the overview! I've met some of the Sidhe folks on the job, and knew all about Grinding Gear, but the Wellington scene isn't something I've had much exposure to, being stranded in Tauranga.

I'd definitely love to meet some of the people down there, if just for coffee and getting a bit more perspective on what it's like being a part of this underdeveloped industry here in NZ.

Cool beans! We've also got a local Gameloft franchise / studio, but their games are... not my type. Very focused on media-franchise mobile games. They made a Minions infinite runner. That's up in Auckland, though.

Anyway, if you want to meet up, most of the organisation is done through Facebook groups. Wellingtaru is probably your best bet for just a quiet evening of people being overenthusiastic about game projects and drinking too much. GDOW meetups tend to be a touch more organised- there's usually a guest speaker, some speeches from locals, and then the group heads to a local pub. And I haven't been to the Unity group, but it's a spinoff from the GDOW stuff, and they talk about guest speakers, so they probably are basically the GDOW thing.

There's also GameFroot, which is a locally developed 'make your first game' sort of deal and I quite like what they're going for with it. It's not quite done, but it looks like a quite nice web-based Stencyl.

Oh, and of course we've got we had our own version of GameSprout-style crowd-sourced game development starting up, called GameStarter, which... don't get me started on that sort of thing. It has apparently closed down.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 13, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
My friend went to a game conference type thing last week and day z guy gave a presentation. Sadly I think people took him seriously

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

My friend went to a game conference type thing last week and day z guy gave a presentation. Sadly I think people took him seriously

Yeah I was there too and you could tell there was something off about him but he definitely knew how to present himself in a way that made people feel sympathetic. A dude I work with worked with him at Sidhe and told me that he definitely went a bit weird from the dayz stuff.

At least the Crossy Road dude was cool and funny.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Distant worlds is apparently an NZ game. It did quite well for a grognard type game.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
There are some chch game dev groups too, Depth (that shark-vs-divers game) was developed by Digital Confectioners.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Varkk posted:

Then he cried about immigration not letting him bring in foreign workers for well below the standard rate for such work in NZ. Then he left in a huff.

Everyone else in NZ business manages to do this.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Everyone else in NZ business manages to do this.

Spark tells them they are in Auckland

Auckland, India

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Today is a really fabulous day in Dunedin folks hope its well where you are

As an aside, I feel like vacuuming my own car, hope no one snaps a shot of me bending over etc.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Why, are you wearing stubbies?

e: oops, wrong NZ thread.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 14, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Key offers a bullshit deal on #redpeak, Labour immediately falls into his trap & insists on the yes/no referendum being first (aka the "you don't know what you're going to get" order)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It was a really nice day in Auckland today. Balmy temp, soft winds, no rain.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I purchased 10 BBQ pork riblets and 14 pork and apple schnitzel bits for $20 today

Thanks Countdown :thumbsup:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

it would be cool if labour forced the inclusion of a yes/no new flag q in the first referendum

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

then we could all vote no and avoid a second referendum

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I purchased 10 BBQ pork riblets and 14 pork and apple schnitzel bits for $20 today

Thanks Countdown :thumbsup:

No Sausage Sizzle?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I just got polled by Curia :getin:

they asked:

—whether i intend to vote in 2017
—who for
—who i voted for last time
—whether i think the country's going in a good/bad direction
—whether i support/oppose voluntary euthanasia
—whether i'm planning to vote on a change of flag (nothing on which alternative i support)
—rate Winston, Key & Little from 1-5
—bunch of quickfire issues that i had to associate with parties (e.g. "can best manage the welfare system")

but on the downside, now David Farrar knows who I support.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Of couse Exclamation Marx has a landline. What a hipster

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
:wink:

Now I just got polled by some radio market research group (i think mediaworks)! i'm popular af!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

:wink:

Now I just got polled by some radio market research group (i think mediaworks)! i'm popular af!

As one of 5 people with a land line you must have run screaming to the phone when it went off for the first time in a decade.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

quote:

—bunch of quickfire issues that i had to associate with parties (e.g. "can best manage the welfare system")
Gameshow fast? That would crack me up

"Latest poll results show most NZ'ers agree National can manage the welfare system the best."

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

truther posted:

Gameshow fast? That would crack me up

"Latest poll results show most NZ'ers agree National can manage the welfare system the best."

p much. i ended up accidentally answering "labour" for a bunch of them because i'd said it so many times in a row. did answer national for the one on party unity because, well, you know.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Exclamation Marx posted:

I just got polled by Curia :getin:

they asked:

—whether i intend to vote in 2017
—who for
—who i voted for last time
—whether i think the country's going in a good/bad direction
—whether i support/oppose voluntary euthanasia
—whether i'm planning to vote on a change of flag (nothing on which alternative i support)
—rate Winston, Key & Little from 1-5

but on the downside, now David Farrar knows who I support.

Do what a normal person does when Curia calls them at 6.30pm, tell them to gently caress off and leave you alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Holy poo poo Abbott got the boot!

• Locked thread