Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

The Ape of Naples posted:

I agree about Patton but he felt just so right as a replacement TV's Frank that I instantly accepted it. In any other role I'd be wary but it just fit so well. Plus he's not a huge name. Sure my mom may recognize him from King of Queens but wouldn't know his name. I knew of Jonah Ray from the Meltdown and various podcast appearances but nothing about him really. Just enough of a comfortable recognizability without bringing some baggage. It it were Scott Aukerman it'd just feel like Scott Aukerman and not Scott Heston. Paul F Tompkins could have done it but it would have totally felt like PFT in space as opposed to this character. Even if that character is very much like what Jonah Ray is really like.

Of course now I'm picturing various comedians and products hosts as being on the SOL. I kinda wanna see Brian Posehn fumble around awkwardly up there. And Doug Benson try to use Tom as a bong.

Both of which were on TV Wheel so I suppose it isn't too far fetched.

I think PFT would be a perfect mad scientist for the show.

.....now I want PFT to be in it for the next season if it ever happens. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

If the internet had been around when MST3K season one first showed up on The Comedy Channel, I wonder how many of those guys would have been known already from comedy podcasts and stuff. Probably just Joel? If he was on late night talk shows and had a SNL guest appearance, he would probably also be all over the comedy podcast circuit. I know that doesn't directly map to today and is a meaningless comparison to make, but its interesting to think that the threshold for "unknown comic" was probably a lot higher in 1989 than it is today. The dude was already on national TV multiple times before MST hit the air, that would make you a somewhat known commodity today for alt comedy nerds at least, because of how much it'd instantly radiate out to all the ancillary media we have now.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Egbert Souse posted:

The Christmas That Almost Wasn't :stare:
Not only one of the funniest episodes this season, this has to be one of the worst movies they've done.

Just made it through Star Crash. Great episode but my sperg side was squirming uncomfortably the whole time.

It's like they'd never actually seen an SF movie but just had the general idea relayed to them by a five year old before they threw one together.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WrathOfBlade posted:

Carnival Magic was the closest thing they got to a Manos this season. The attempted chimpanzee suicide towards the end really won me over.

Yeah, I don't get people saying Cry Wilderness is the legendary episode this go around when THAT exists.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic are pretty different movies in tone and pacing in my opinion. They also feature horrible animal abuse and I think the racoon strangling embedded itself in my mind more than the magic dude's staring at animals and talking to them did.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Carnival Magic feels vaguely like a more poorly put together Girl in Gold Boot-like until the end, with the weird, disturbing animal suicide thing. Cry Wilderness opens with a film mad scientist pouring together random portions of Spielberg and John Irving in some kind of dizzying cocktail, until Big Foot shows up, flips over the table holding the whole hosed up experiment together, and yells "PAUL, YOUR FATHER IS IN TROUBLE!" and it doesn't stop getting weird from there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Disconnecticus posted:

Just made it through Star Crash. Great episode but my sperg side was squirming uncomfortably the whole time.

It's like they'd never actually seen an SF movie but just had the general idea relayed to them by a five year old before they threw one together.

Or you saw Star Wars and Barbarella, like...literally those were the only two movies you've ever seen, and decided to split the difference. But didn't have the skill, talent, or general wherewithal to do it.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
In my previous life as a film podcaster I got on a ton of PR email lists. Yesterday I got one about MST3K merch. Looks like lots of t-shirts, some cool mugs, and even Funko figures are headed our way this year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So after being sick for a few weeks, I'm getting caught up on the last third of the new season. And I realized some amazing things about the Lost Kingdom movies: The opening scenes from Lost Kingdom I were actually from the first Deathstalker movie (so that's two ties between that movie and Deathstalker), and in Lost Kingdom II the villain with the feather collar is actually the guy who played Captain Spaulding in House of 1000 Corpses.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Disconnecticus posted:

Movie was written by a five-year-old. Someone just happens to have the perfect previously-unrevealed superpower for every situation. Even the robot gets to use his heat to keep the lady alive.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finally finished them all. Man, that last batch of movies gets a little dire for me. They're so boring that there's almost not enough quips from the guys to salvage them.

But maybe I was just so blown away by Yongary the rest failed for me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jonah's okay right? Like the spacewalk at the end was after the botched wedding, not in remembrance :ohdear:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Kill him and bring back Mike

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

nerdman42 posted:

But maybe I was just so blown away by Yongary the rest failed for me.

Yongary was the one episode this season that I watched with a big grin plastered on my face. It didn't do anything super spectacular, it just set a high bar early and then stayed there all the way through.

Capsule!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I finally figured out what's bugging me about Servo in the new season. It's not the voice (Baron is doing great), it's the puppeteering. Specifically, it's one aspect of the puppeteering: Servo should be up a bit higher, with the front edge of his hoverskirt resting on the table, instead of floating behind the table all the time. It feels like he's hiding back there, which is rather out of character for Tom.

That said, this extremely minor quibble is the closest thing I have to a complaint about the new episodes, so I figure they got a whole lot of things very very right. :)

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Yeah Baron's servo is great. I think he's Suave Servo, while Kevin is Fabulous Servo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah my only complaint about Baron Servo was that it took me an episode to not mix up him and Jonah as they have somewhat similar voices.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah my only complaint about Baron Servo was that it took me an episode to not mix up him and Jonah as they have somewhat similar voices.

They need to pitch down one of the two like half an octave while in the theater. That's my only complaint about the new bots.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
As a die-hard MST3k fan from way back in the day, I have to say the amount of care they put into the new episodes is huge. I have quibbles like others, but when I think of the old seasons, I realize I have quibbles about them too. Overall, and this is after watching most of the new episodes twice, I am really pleased with this. To say best reboot ever is to clear a really low bar, sadly.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We watched Revenge of the Creature last night, and I discovered the density of the riffing in the new show isn't as much greater than the old as I thought. I think the perception comes from the recording method and rushed schedule more than anything else.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We watched Revenge of the Creature last night, and I discovered the density of the riffing in the new show isn't as much greater than the old as I thought. I think the perception comes from the recording method and rushed schedule more than anything else.

Reptillicus is honestly like the highest density episode honestly. I think it's just Roiland's writing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, when I rewatched some old Mike episodes, I think the density of riffing is about the same, just the delivery is different because it's different people.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Reptillicus is honestly like the highest density episode honestly. I think it's just Roiland's writing.

Oh yeah, and the fact there's like 15 writers for each episode.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

One thing I do kinda miss, watching some older episodes, is the little non-joke reactions. Like giving off a little "What?" at a confusing shot, or singing a weird music cue (not making up lyrics, just repeating it), or the occasional incredulous laugh. They felt like genuine reactions, which nicely complemented the scripted riffs. (There's one moment I like, though I can't recall the episode, where Mike starts laughing so hard at something in the movie that it spills over into his actual riff.)

Although it was scripted, one moment I did particularly like along similar lines was Jonah's comment about them using actual fire in The Land That Time Forgot. It felt like a real observation someone in the writers' room had, not trying to be funny, just reacting to the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think Manos is a top 10 episode. I prefer the rifftrax live version.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

One thing I do kinda miss, watching some older episodes, is the little non-joke reactions. Like giving off a little "What?" at a confusing shot, or singing a weird music cue (not making up lyrics, just repeating it), or the occasional incredulous laugh. They felt like genuine reactions, which nicely complemented the scripted riffs. (There's one moment I like, though I can't recall the episode, where Mike starts laughing so hard at something in the movie that it spills over into his actual riff.)

Although it was scripted, one moment I did particularly like along similar lines was Jonah's comment about them using actual fire in The Land That Time Forgot. It felt like a real observation someone in the writers' room had, not trying to be funny, just reacting to the movie.

There's also him pointing out the in camera removal of the android head in episodes 3.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Chokes McGee posted:

Jonah's okay right? Like the spacewalk at the end was after the botched wedding, not in remembrance :ohdear:

If you watch the episodes again you'll see him with various parts of the spacesuit during the host segments. It's totally him walking out there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think Manos is a top 10 episode. I prefer the rifftrax live version.

Nah, I agree. The riffing isn't good enough to offset the horribleness of the movie.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah likewise. Not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but there's a bit in The Brute Man where Mike gets laughing so hard he doubles over in his chair and you can tell he's struggling to keep it together.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

precision posted:

It has never really gelled with me either. The pacing of the movie are terrible and the entire thing makes no sense. The gang have some good jokes but I almost always check out early. I should check out the rifftrax version.

Like, I appreciate it as a community thing but man I do not like the episode. To each their own though...

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

HopperUK posted:

Yeah likewise. Not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but there's a bit in The Brute Man where Mike gets laughing so hard he doubles over in his chair and you can tell he's struggling to keep it together.
That's the one!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I've watched a ton of mst3k but I've never watched Manos and I'm fine with that

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

moist turtleneck posted:

I've watched a ton of mst3k but I've never watched Manos and I'm fine with that

It's the one episode I always fall asleep when trying to watch.
It's just such a dull movie, no amount of riffing can help.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
It's not the worst episode (Looking at you, Castle of Fu Manchu) but it's not in my personal top five.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've tried twice and I've yet made it though Hamlet.

I teach English and legitimately like Hamlet but that movie feels like weaponized Ambien.

God its just dull. You could tell me that Mike and gang reveal the secret to happiness and the cure for cancer in the second half of the movie and I'd still not make it through.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

IMO what makes a Manos or a Carnival Magic interesting is that they feel like imports from another planet that no human had ever laid eyes on before. Still haven't seen that much MST3K but I really like that dumpster diving aspect & feel like it gives the show an edge against, say, Rifftrax goofing on a Michael Bay movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The sheer weirdness of Manos makes it watchable for me, just seeing all of the strange errors and sound dubbing and everything, watching something that genuinely tried very hard and is so obviously an amateur project. There are definitely aspects of the script in both Carnival Magic and Cry Wilderness that feel a little similar, like some weird salesman saw a few movies and halfway got what makes a screenplay good, but it was the wrong half, but both have production values that are very different from Manos.

I definitely agree on Hamlet, though. Like, I love the play enough to watch a half-baked college production of it or some random Shakespeare in the Park attempt, but the German film is so dreary. It also feels like it was filmed entirely in the dark and all of the actors had to deliver their lines with half a glass of water in their mouths.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry for the doublepost, but this needed its own note: I now deal with someone at work whose name is actually Professor Bobo, and every single time that I see it on paper, I do a double take.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Oh totally, the best part of the luchador reveal in Samson vs the Vampire Women was Mike and the bots bursting into laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8one6 posted:

They need to pitch down one of the two like half an octave while in the theater. That's my only complaint about the new bots.

I noticed this too, yeah. Part of the reason the original crew worked well was that you had someone with a relatively high register (Crow), someone with a relatively low register (Tom), and someone with an average register (Joel/Mike), which made the voices distinctive and helped to break up the stream of jokes with their distinctiveness. Jonah and Tom overlap just a little too much in register, and it can make it sound like a two-man show at times.

Lord Hydronium posted:

(There's one moment I like, though I can't recall the episode, where Mike starts laughing so hard at something in the movie that it spills over into his actual riff.)

I think that's the part in The Brute Man where the crotchety old shopkeep is first introduced.