Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

long story short i think the PI market is at a fair price right now and if you want to put money on joe at .46 feel free to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

can you show any polling whatsoever that suggests biden's recent wars in gaza and yemen are helping his polling as a wartime president? everything suggests the opposite

also when a war drags on and goes bad (i.e. ukraine) it can eventually hurt the sitting president's polling even if it initially helps. see: bush.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Gucci Loafers posted:

May you expand on that theory? How certain of you are of this and why?

Trump won Michigan in 2016 by 11,000 votes. Biden won Michigan in 2020 by 55,000 votes. The last two cycles it's been an extremely tight state, and given 2024 is shaping up to be a repeat of 2020 there's no reason to imagine that it's going to be any different before current events are taken into account

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you make a bet on the presidential outcome, be prepared to have the money light on fire.

after 2016 and 2020, the only conclusion you should reach is there is no sure bet here. only chaos

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Trump won Michigan in 2016 by 11,000 votes. Biden won Michigan in 2020 by 55,000 votes. The last two cycles it's been an extremely tight state, and given 2024 is shaping up to be a repeat of 2020 there's no reason to imagine that it's going to be any different before current events are taken into account

Good point. I don't think it'll be an easy election but I don't see how it'll be like 2020. A lot has changed. Are we not suppose to takes things like changes in economic sentiment and conditions? Or Trump ever increasingly difficult legal issues that are likely criminal?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a lot of american voters do not perceive the january 6th events or pending legal prosecutions in the light that you do. polling reflects this. it's those people that vote.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

What was the last president who wasn't a "wartime president"?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, this isn't quite the thread to get to into it, and I hate commenting when I don't have any money riding on anything (too poor to bet now). But don't let yourself get into a bubble. It'll cost you a lot of money. I still have fond memories of watching a D&D guy doubling down on 2016 election day that Hillary would win Florida :).

I didn't realize that there was polling on it, but 43% of Americans say that too much is being made of January 6th. Only 55% of people say that it was a big deal. https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4384615-majority-in-new-poll-say-jan-6-was-attack-on-democracy-that-should-never-be-forgotten/.

"War-time president" isn't an automatic winner. I think Biden's single biggest approval hit was the Afghanistan withdrawal. I don't see Ukraine getting better before the election and Israel certainly doesn't seem to be helping him, not even counting whether it costs him Michigan. If the conflict expands and fucks up gas prices or chokes shipping then there will be hell to pay.

If I'm not loving around online, I'd say 50-50 feels about right. Biden's weak as hell and not doing much to help it and Trump has momentum. But some of Biden's problems might fade by the election and abortion is the wild card. If the democrats manage to actually agitate around it and motivate turnout they could be fine.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ditocoaf posted:

What was the last president who wasn't a "wartime president"?

lol, drat.

For a "wartime" sort of boost, at this point it has to be US paratroopers getting dropped into crimea. Maybe not even that, no one cares about troops in iraq and syria. Maybe it would take china going hot on taiwan.

For 90% of americans, giving weapons to ukraine and israel is about on the same level of news as "it's snowing in nepal". If they are even still paying attention at all.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Gucci Loafers posted:

Good point. I don't think it'll be an easy election but I don't see how it'll be like 2020. A lot has changed. Are we not suppose to takes things like changes in economic sentiment and conditions? Or Trump ever increasingly difficult legal issues that are likely criminal?

Exactly. Like I said, before current events are taken into account it looks like Michigan, at the very least, is going to just about be a coin flip.

But current events matter. The Gaza Genocide, the economy, January 6th, ect. I'm not going to pretend to know what the hell is going to happen, if you think that you have a good guess then go for it.

Plus who knows what the year is going to bring

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Even actuarially, there is significant uncertainty, one of these guys could plausibly have a stroke and die mid debate.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

definitely remember to put your bets on no or on a party winning the race

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

definitely remember to put your bets on no or on a party winning the race

except for my 6000 pritzker yesses

edit lol I forgot I was holding some don jr in case of trumpdeath

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

cashed out my Gavin NOs today, people really went bonkers driving him up a few months ago. seemed almost too good to be true at the time or else I would have gone in for more lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That was a fun market. Do we know when they are going to open more or are we basically just waiting for the election?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

do I dare tempt fate with Gavin again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

do I dare tempt fate with Gavin again

imo if biden drops dead, gavin's price will spike, but will spike with a relatively smaller % bounce than others. if you think biden isn't the nominee, pritzker and harris are undervalued compared to the rest of the field. harris is almost certainly the nominee in case of a not-biden

Baddog
May 12, 2001

i say swears online posted:

harris is almost certainly the nominee in case of a not-biden

mmmmm, I just don't see it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

good buying opportunity for Biden Yes and Gavin No today

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

good buying opportunity for Biden Yes and Gavin No today

:hmmyes:

that presser was disastrous...for newsom holders!!!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Jesus christ "biden resign in first term" hit 22 cents at one point today.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Kamala on the 2024 ticket is below 80 cents lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

Jesus christ "biden resign in first term" hit 22 cents at one point today.

And it's at still 18 points. :homebrew:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Goddamn, do I put more money into this website?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hah, I was holding out for them to be able to offer some deposit bonuses before reloading, but drat this is looking tempting.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Yeah, I withdrew everything at the end of 2022 but this finally got me back in. Free money is free money.

(Honestly, I should have done it way earlier. I knew without a doubt that DeSantis was never going to be the nominee over Trump the first time I actually heard him speak, which was right around the height of his rising stardom before everyone else had also heard him speak.)

Baddog
May 12, 2001
OK, dropped in some more. The electoral college market looks pretty tempting to pick up easy money as well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I know nothing about the EC market, how are you working with that?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Baddog posted:

OK, dropped in some more. The electoral college market looks pretty tempting to pick up easy money as well.

How do you imagine the electoral college going, and where are you seeing the easy money?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Merlot Brougham posted:

How do you imagine the electoral college going, and where are you seeing the easy money?

I just started by grabbing no on the top 3 GOP brackets, 105+, and the last DEM bracket, 215+.

I've been eyeballing the next 2 brackets on D because I have a really hard time seeing how dems could win by more than 102 either.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good strat. no such thing as an electoral blowout anymore, and you're betting against irrational boosters on both sides

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Kamala on the 2024 ticket is down to .82

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's more a consequence of deathwatch than her efficacy and future on the ticket

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

i say swears online posted:

that's more a consequence of deathwatch than her efficacy and future on the ticket
still doesn't make much sense since it resolves to yes if she's on as prez or VP. it should be .90

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a lot of bettors imo think she'd skink in a free-for-all in that scenario and therefore she's underpriced, yeah. the better move is against newsom but if you're maxed out on that this would be ok too

kamala sucks but it wouldn't change the fact that the party would instantly solidify around her in the case of joedeath

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Glad to have cast a proud ballot today for Chris Christie in the Michigan Republican primary.

E: You can't go "uncommitted" on the Dem side, I've got money riding on that poo poo.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
So, who does Trump actually pick for his running mate, anyway?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

noem

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

some lunatics briefly brought the Kamala 2024 Prez/VP Dem ticket down to .70 a few days ago and I missed it. back at .85 now.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/white-house-lifting-its-covid-19-testing-rule-for-people-around-biden

I feel like this raises the odds of him getting all hosed up in the next 6 months considerably, even if they mainline paxlovid into him as soon as he tests +.

But "Joe not the nominee" and "Joe not the next president" are too drat high already. 24 cents not the nominee, 58 not the president. Too much.

Harris the 47th president at 26 cents is starting to seem a little promising though. Wish I'd grabbed some a few weeks ago, even if just to hedge.