Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Lol at the idea prostitution is illegal in China.

China has got to have more brothels per capita than anywhere on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Fully automated luxury space cucking

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

Is being a prostitute a crime? Engaging with a prostitute? Or both?

What's China's stance on homosexuality? I might have a partial solution.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 12, 2020

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

The cucked man of asia.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

It's illegal in that there are laws banning it. It's not illegal in that it's commonly in plain sight.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Warbadger posted:

It's illegal in that there are laws banning it. It's not illegal in that it's commonly in plain sight.

Well, of course. Same as in Korea. I meant de jure what's illegal?
Edit: Nvm, I'll just look it up myself.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 12, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
When I used to live in Shenyang (China's prostitution capital) I'd see police officers park right in front of a massage parlour next to my school. They'd get out of the car, take off their jackets and button-up shirts, and walk into the place in their gov-issued pants, boots, and wife-beaters.

I don't know how things are now under Xi, but back then nobody cared about prostitution. The only time it was ever "enforced" was during Government crackdowns where they would make a big show of busting the businesses that bribed them the least. The only other time they would arrest people for prostitution was when someone was being set up, for blackmailing, or the beat cops wanted some extra pocket money.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Blistex posted:

When I used to live in Shenyang (China's prostitution capital) I'd see police officers park right in front of a massage parlour next to my school. They'd get out of the car, take off their jackets and button-up shirts, and walk into the place in their gov-issued pants, boots, and wife-beaters.

I don't know how things are now under Xi, but back then nobody cared about prostitution. The only time it was ever "enforced" was during Government crackdowns where they would make a big show of busting the businesses that bribed them the least. The only other time they would arrest people for prostitution was when someone was being set up, for blackmailing, or the beat cops wanted some extra pocket money.

In Shanghai we had pimps follow us right past some uniformed police in the upscale downtown area shouting their pitches, so I did get the distinct impression the cops didn't care. This was after Xi removed his term limits, I doubt it's changed much.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 12, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A nation of incels.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Yeah, prostitution is pretty rampant in China. Brothels running out of KTVs, phone cards for working girls slid under hotel doors, you can get sex for pay if you're looking for it in China.

When I worked in the ESL mines in Fuzhou a couple of years ago, there were several brothels near my school, including one on the first floor of my apartment building. You could tell because the interior of it was this neon lit monstrosity and the girls were sitting around in scantily clad clothing burning time on their phones, waiting for customers. There was a Muslim restaurant right across the street from my place, so it made for good people watching.

I used to know a sexpat colleague who would search through WeChats's people nearby function for girls. Apparently, if a girls moments gallery has a QR code and little else, she's a prostitute.

Shadow0 posted:

Being gay used to be declared a mental illness until 2001. However, Weibo banned LGBT topics in 2018 and the powers that be will censor any LGBT content from Movies and TV.

When it comes to dating, there is Blued, which is Chinese Grindr. There are also barhhouses and Gay Bars in the Tier 1s.According to my gay co-worker at the time, being gay in China is like being gay in the UK in the 1970's, except you have a smartphone. It's looked down upon, but there are plenty of married dudes who want some dick on the side.

He also told me that there is a CD/Trans scene in China, but they're all on Twitter.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 12, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Forceholy posted:

When it comes to dating, there is Blued, which is Chinese Grindr. There are also barhhouses and Gay Bars in the Tier 1s.According to my gay worker at the time, being gay in China is like being gay in the UK in the 1970's, except you have a smartphone. It's looked down upon, but there are plenty of married dudes who want some dick on the side.

I feel like either I or your friend don't know what that's like because I was led to believe in the 1970s UK gay men were constantly worried about being beaten or murdered even by the police or is that what you meant for how it is in China?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hakimashou posted:

Korea gives it a run for its money at least.

As for gay rights, the government is regressive as hell but the population isn't. Like everywhere else, young people don't give a gently caress. My students were actually disappointed I wasn't gay because they liked Modern Family and wanted a gay friend. In Chengdu there are gay bars/clubs that operate right in the open and nobody cares. Chengdu is the San Francisco of China but still, if the government was interested in cracking down it wouldn't be hard.

Life is hard for gay people there, all my male Chinese friends are gay and I have heard the stories. But you're not afraid for your life, and judging by the younger people things are changing in the right direction, no matter how much the olds in the Party want to keep cracking down on it. I think they'll eventually realize that's more trouble than it's worth and give up.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I pick random pages in this thread to help remind me why I don’t miss China and this hit the spot, thank u

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

China does not have prostitution.

Shadow0 posted:

China does not have homosexuality.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I recall hitting a KTV for a friend's birthday, super-legit hotel in the middle of town, and shortly after we got in the room, in comes the hostess with a line of girls to pick from.
The Chinese guys in our group were all the happily, recently married type, and the foreigners weren't about to pay, so everyone just looked embarrassed and stared at walls/floor/ceiling/phone.
The hostess clearly knee what was up by our reaction, and must have decided to have some fun, so then called in three more increasingly awkward lines of girls for our, uh, viewing pleasure.
And seriously, that's a lot of girls to have on hand at a moment's notice. So imagine how... brisk business must be.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Flannelette posted:

I feel like either I or your friend don't know what that's like because I was led to believe in the 1970s UK gay men were constantly worried about being beaten or murdered even by the police or is that what you meant for how it is in China?

I think it's more about being discrete about it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Great Autismo! posted:

I pick random pages in this thread to help remind me why I don’t miss China and this hit the spot, thank u

Your comment convinced me to watch this. It's god-drat gold, but then the guy is for real. Part of me wouldn't mind seeing them try to take over the US by force. It would be the greatest performative act of chabuduo ever.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Un-button that suit a little, dude. They don't even have naval force projection, and we should be thankful there's not going to be shooting war between two of the largest armies on Earth regardless of what each is trained for.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The video doesn't imply that the Chinese military would try to take the US. The threat made is the screaming keyboard idiots that is going to do the invading. Gezz, calm down.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/australian-sentenced-to-death-on-drug-charges-20200613-p5529h.html

China taking it's spat with Australia a little more seriously than it did it's spat with Canada. Although still managing to follow the standard CCP playbook.

step 1) tariffs etc. against exports.
step 2) claim that said country is dirty, dangerous and full of racist incidents, and that tourists and/or international students should not go there.
and now it's up to step 3) kidnap/imprison a citizen of said country.

This time specifically it's a bloke who was busted in Guangzhou with 7.5 kilos of ice in 2013, but the government has coincidentally decided to now sentence him to death. Which has nothing to do with any sort of diplomatic spat between the countries, nor part of a tantrum China is throwing because of ScoMo backing an inquiry into the CCP's incompetence/malice in handling COVID-19.

My guess is ScoMo will try to play the hard man, (i.e. double down on his 'filthy yellowskinned commos' rhetoric, trying to suck up to OranjMan) and will let this bloke die. That is unless the CCP just hold him on death row as a bargaining chip, which they are very likely to do.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Atopian posted:

I recall hitting a KTV for a friend's birthday, super-legit hotel in the middle of town, and shortly after we got in the room, in comes the hostess with a line of girls to pick from.
The Chinese guys in our group were all the happily, recently married type, and the foreigners weren't about to pay, so everyone just looked embarrassed and stared at walls/floor/ceiling/phone.
The hostess clearly knee what was up by our reaction, and must have decided to have some fun, so then called in three more increasingly awkward lines of girls for our, uh, viewing pleasure.
And seriously, that's a lot of girls to have on hand at a moment's notice. So imagine how... brisk business must be.

How do you know it wasn't the same group four times?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/1005801/46-people-linked-to-beijing-market-test-positive-for-coronavirus

quote:

A district in Beijing is now in “wartime” mode following the closure of a wholesale agriculture market that has been linked to a spike in locally transmitted infections of the COVID-19 virus over the past two days.

At a press briefing Saturday, officials reported that 46 people connected to the Xinfadi market — the largest farmers market in China’s capital — had tested positive for the coronavirus. Forty-five of the infected work at the market, and the additional person is a close contact of someone who visited the market. None of the 46 who tested positive have shown symptoms.

The Xinfadi market was closed at 3 a.m. Saturday, and authorities have ordered a mass inspection of the city’s meat products currently in circulation, targeting wholesale markets, restaurants, and grocery stores.

Chu Junwei, a local official, said at the press briefing that Fengtai District, where Xinfadi is located, is now in “wartime emergency” mode. Around 140 close contacts of the newly identified cases have been put under quarantine. Meanwhile, 11 residential communities near the wholesale market will be sealed off, Chu said, and nearby kindergartens and primary schools will suspend classes.

Since Thursday, Beijing has reported seven “confirmed infections” — a term used in China to refer to people who both test positive for the virus and show symptoms. One of the cases diagnosed Thursday had traveled outside the city, a local disease control official said. Five out of the six confirmed cases reported in Beijing Friday were people who worked at Xinfadi. There were 11 other confirmed infections elsewhere in China over the same two-day period, all among people arriving from abroad.

The Beijing cluster seems to have spread to at least one other province. On Friday, Liaoning in northeastern China reported two asymptomatic infections, both of whom had been in contact with one of the people confirmed infected Friday in the capital.

The coronavirus was first detected on a chopping board used for salmon, according to the chairman of Xinfadi market. After the local infections were announced, Beijing supermarkets including Carrefour reportedly removed their salmon products overnight.

Before Thursday, Beijing had not reported a single coronavirus case for 56 days. The city will suspend sporting events and tour groups to other provinces, effective immediately, a spokesman said during the press briefing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

A new Chinese MRE got eaten by Steve, and so far, no reports of diarrhoea.

i would have to assume that the MREs that get onto the black market might not be the highest quality ones. if there was a shipment of "off" MREs that the army was told to dispose of maybe some commander decided to make a quick buck instead

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

i would have to assume that the MREs that get onto the black market might not be the highest quality ones. if there was a shipment of "off" MREs that the army was told to dispose of maybe some commander decided to make a quick buck instead

He got poisoned twice in a row. The man has an iron stomach and has eaten meat from the Boer war and iirc American Civil War. The third one while it didn't make him sick it was so bland even he found it overall unenjoyable. This is his 4th Chinese ration so it was a surprise it was OK and he still felt like throw a burn or two at it which he almost never does.

Unless you consider eBay or his friends the black market...

The first 2 was around the time there was a scandal where Chinese soldiers were filmed trying to eat terrible rice out in the field made with sub par water as they weren't given proper rations for reasons. Given the lack of drat they give I expect it was straight corruption rather than they were bad and had to get rid of them. I am not sure if it is still true, but they have been used as cheap labour to work on farms etc for the commander/officials for $$$.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
He buys MRE and his fans send him MRE,

I am not an MRE so I cannot comment on it already being rancid.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oohhboy posted:

Unless you consider eBay or his friends the black market...

i mean I just assume the PLA isn't selling their MREs on alibaba. the only way to obtain one is if you steal one, or you are a soldier and sell it. i'm no army expert, but if i was in charge i would make a rule against selling your rations

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's technically illegal to sell US MREs too but they're available everywhere. I would guess the PLA ones show up the same way.

You can walk into any army surplus store in China (they do have them, they're not uncommon) and pick up PLA rations. It wouldn't be hard to crack down on the sale if anyone cared enough.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Business is booming again in China (Crossposted from OSHA thread)

snugglz posted:

cross-posting this crazy poo poo from the AI Horrible Mechanical Failures thread:

https://i.imgur.com/6os8oSe.mp4

that thing flying through the air is a tanker :aaa: story here:
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/massive-tanker-explosion-injures-more-than-100-in-china-20200614-p552ds.html

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Space pogrom looking good

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The junk collector posted:

Space pogrom looking good

What, did the CCP find Uyghurs on the Moon?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Well, it did obliterate that one village.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Roumba posted:

Well, it did obliterate that one village.

What

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China drops rocket parts on villages a lot but I'm guessing this is the specific one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelsat_708

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

China drops rocket parts on villages a lot but I'm guessing this is the specific one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelsat_708

Village of ~200 buildings receives a 3:00am gift of 1/2 a million kg of burning rocket fuel, making the place look like the moon's take on Dresden. . . 5 dead, 57 injured! :china: *

*am guessing that those 5 bodies were the only ones that were found to semi-resemble humans, and the 57 wounded were the only people who lived through it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

Right. I was thinking space Uighurs

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Remember that Chinese researcher who got kicked out of Canada's only biosafety level 4 lab? She sent the samples to the disease research laboratory in Wuhan across from the wet market where COVID 19 originated.

Amir Attaran, a law professor and epidemiologist at the University of Ottawa posted:

"We have a researcher who was removed by the RCMP from the highest security laboratory that Canada has for reasons that government is unwilling to disclose. The intelligence remains secret. But what we know is that before she was removed, she sent one of the deadliest viruses on Earth, and multiple varieties of it to maximize the genetic diversity and maximize what experimenters in China could do with it, to a laboratory in China that does dangerous gain of function experiments. And that has links to the Chinese military."

Gain of function experiments are when a natural pathogen is taken into the lab, made to mutate, and then assessed to see if it has become more deadly or infectious.

Most countries, including Canada, don't do these kinds of experiments — because they're considered too dangerous, Attaran said.

"The Wuhan lab does them and we have now supplied them with Ebola and Nipah viruses. It does not take a genius to understand that this is an unwise decision," he said.

But also bungling on the Canadian side of things:

quote:

Meanwhile, it appears the NML's shipper initially planned to send the viruses in inappropriate packaging and only changed it when the clients in China flagged the problem.

"The only reason the correct packaging was used is because the Chinese wrote to them and said, 'Aren't you making a mistake here?' If that had not happened, the scientists would have placed on an Air Canada flight, several of them actually, a deadly virus incorrectly packaged. That nearly happened," Attaran said.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 15, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
build the new great wall of china, to keep everything in

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

McGavin posted:

Remember that Chinese researcher who got kicked out of Canada's only biosafety level 4 lab? She sent the samples to the disease research laboratory in Wuhan across from the wet market where COVID 19 originated.

But also bungling on the Canadian side of things:

Being a Chinese national is going to be a massive red flag (lol) to be allowed into various levels of research and development in the west now that it's been shown on multiple . . . . oh wait! China and Chinese universities pay money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when are we going to stop all this engagement BS and enter the next cold war? This is really getting out of control. Not only do we share far fewer values with China than we did the Soviets, they gives even less of a drat with how they treat anyone or anything.